• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

with the PS5 PRO forthcoming...

What are some key improvements you'd focus on if you were *insert game*'s devs? Share the games that you think desperately need a little more hardware to look just right...

I can start with 2 games:

Gran Turismo 7 - as good as it looks on the regular 4K60 mode, it definitely needs :
better IQ (PSSR could solve this)
better LOD transitions (the draw distance is massive, but the LOD pop-in is pretty bad)
better shadows (maybe ray-tracing?)
higher quality models on gameplay (game uses good to great LOD for the external model, but cockpit view, viewed from outside, looks awful)

Cyberpunk 2077 - this game could really use the PRO.
better IQ (FSR is just terrible)
better draw distance and LOD (unlikely as the PC version sucks here too)

Could the 45% rasterization boost fix these small things? I would hope so

Share some improvements you'd hope to see this midgen refresh GAF, it's time

The last thing the industry needs is more tech. What it needs is games that are fun to play.

We see companies invest in psychological manipulation to keep up engagement, instead of just starting from a base of, “let’s build a game we’re really passionate about that we think would be fun to play”.

Stuart360

Most of the games will just getting higher quality RT, and a bit higher resolution.

I get it with the One X and PS4Pro because the xb1 and PS4 were pretty underpowered, even at launch. But whats the 'pull' with the PS5Pro? With the fact that devs will almost certainly use it to give better RT, it probably wont leave much room for anything else, maybe a slight rez bump. Games like Dragon's Dogma 2 are still going to run like shit becauae of the cpu, but yay people will now be able to run it at 4k and better RT.

I dont get it but if its what some people want then go for it.

Who has these jet engine PS5s I keep hearing about?

I’ve never heard mine or anybody I know’s PS5 fan noise go above a whisper.
For real. There's plenty of criticism you can throw at the PS5, but fan noise is not one of them.

As to the topic at hand, I still have yet to hear of any improvement that makes the Pro a must buy for me. 1440p is good enough for me, so jumping to native 4k is worthless if the games are still running at 30fps. Ray tracing and lumen are pretty, but don't fundamentally change how I play my games.

I just want to know will the Pro be able to take PS4/5 games that are presently stuck at 30fps and bump them up to 60fps? Perhaps some sort of system level AI frame generation that won't require patching the older games?

Edellus

Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Rebirth and upcoming part 3- add higher resolution on performance mode (4k hopefully) or add fps on quality mode

Final Fantasy 16 - stable 60fps or add fps on quality mode
This for me, mainly.

I've been withholding myself from playing FF7 Rebirth until the Pro arrives with, hopefully, a patch for that game. I'm also hoping for a pro patch for my platinum playthrough of FF16.

I welcome everything else, but I want my FFs buttery smooth and crystal clear, please.

Most of the games will just getting higher quality RT, and a bit higher resolution.

I get it with the One X and PS4Pro because the xb1 and PS4 were pretty underpowered, even at launch. But whats the 'pull' with the PS5Pro? With the fact that devs will almost certainly use it to give better RT, it probably wont leave much room for anything else, maybe a slight rez bump. Games like Dragon's Dogma 2 are still going to run like shit becauae of the cpu, but yay people will now be able to run it at 4k and better RT.

I dont get it but if its what some people want then go for it.

We will see about that

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
COD Black Ops 6 running PSSR what looks close to 4k running at 120 fps

james franco sandwich GIF

paolo11

This for me, mainly.

I've been withholding myself from playing FF7 Rebirth until the Pro arrives with, hopefully, a patch for that game. I'm also hoping for a pro patch for my platinum playthrough of FF16.

I welcome everything else, but I want my FFs buttery smooth and crystal clear, please.
My man !!

Rayderism

I would focus on making games that people actually want to play. With giga-chad males and scantily clad females everywhere. Just make the games as anti-woke as I possibly could.

I would FIRE all the woke freaks. And when they start crying about their self-righteous BS, just tell them to shut up, block them, ban them and refuse to acknowledge them any further.

I figure that for the most part, the rest would sort itself out.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Graphic whores put themselves into a hole the war was launched during the PS4/One era with the PS4 Pro and they're turning it into an artist technology war, rather wait for a new generation they want the upgraded graphics now.

kevboard

Could the 45% rasterization boost fix these small things? I would hope so

if PSSR is as good as people hope it is (as good as DLSS) then that honestly will probably help the most for smaller updates.
Cyberpunk with the exact same resolution but replacing FSR2 with a DLSS level reconstruction method would instantly make the game look a lot better.

Last edited:
In my eyes the PS4 PRO had very little support from existing games and 3rd party. Getting developers to add anything to support the console would be priority number 1.

edit-Sony is still doing that thing where you pick a console when installing a game. Now they will have 3 versions to pick from.

Last edited:

nial

Dosn't make sense to me either, but I installed little nightmares 2 yesterday and it asked if I wanted the PS4 or the PS5 verison.
Because those are two whole different SKUs. You won't have to choose between base PS5 and PS5 Pro versions when you have the frickin' PS5 Pro.

//DEVIL//

Outside of GT7, I don’t care about any old game enhancement on the pro .

Show me new games. Enough of no man sky 4K pro 60 fps ray tracing bazinga.

“ look at the real time shadow of that tree !! Fking amazing ray tracing !!! “ when the game environment and character detail look like a ps3 game .

Give me new games that take advantage of the pro. Not just “ it was running 2k now running 3k “ what an amazing power ….

Soodanim

With a GPU upgrade I'm not sure what anyone could wish for except higher resolutions and/or higher framerates. Older games aren't going to get patches and newer games will probably just swap 30fps locks for 40fps locks at best.

I don't see any developer adding in Pro-only features when that wood be precious time and money spent on a niche audience.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm waiting for them to show me the improvements and I want to clearly see them.

I was day one on all my consoles, including ps4 pro and one x but this time I'm leaning to why bother.

Cakeboxer

As devs keep complaining about the extra work with the Series S i wouldn't expect much more than higher resolution and framerates unless Sony pays for it or helps with manpower.

ShakenG

Could PSSR really solve the IQ on GT7? Its my understanding that PSSR is upscaling and GT7 already runs at Native 4K.
But definitely agree with the LOD. It has room for improvement. Probably my biggest issue alongside famerate hiccups in wet weather.

TrueLegend

They should unlock FF16 cutscene it looks glorious on PC after that.

All DRS games will automatically benefit IMO. So Dead Space, Hogwarts and Jedi Fallen Order will get better. Honestly due to DRS most old games will finally hit 4K.

The question is what should Pro label offer.
Like I said in my own thread 16xAF, No Motion blur. And ofc better RT IQ.

Seomel

Neo Member
I think big dissapointment with GT7 was that they revealed after all rt talk, that there wouldnt be any in gameplay. So I can see that changing now. I dont really have anything else in mind besides ps4 games. Im more ibterested like for wxample Rise of Roni, if I would be able to play at unlocked resolution mode to 60fps. The settings they always have for visuals makes me wish, more games had option to unlock fps for resolution modes

nnytk

Neo Member
The last thing the industry needs is more tech. What it needs is games that are fun to play.

We see companies invest in psychological manipulation to keep up engagement, instead of just starting from a base of, “let’s build a game we’re really passionate about that we think would be fun to play”.
This! Totally this!

Apart from that I just want 60fps for every title. 4K, 2K, 1080p, ray tracing, whatever.

farmerboy

Industry always been about tech, at least partly. Still kinda agree with you though, my pet peeve is bloat. Some games are just too big, or have too many systems that result in games that trade in many gameplay elements but are masters of none.

Ev1L AuRoN

I would love to see Alan Wake 2 ditch that awful FSR, and for god's sake, put at least Planar reflections on mirrors , you don't need ray tracing to do mirrors, just don't be lazy.

Hunnybun

Of the ones I've played:

Ratchet - improved IQ, settings and RT in Performance RT mode.
SpiderMan 2: as with Ratchet
GT7: RT in races
HFW: improved IQ in performance modes
RE4: improved IQ and RT

They're mainly fairly marginal improvements, tbh. The big ones would be stuff like Jedi Survivor, FFXVI etc, which I've refused to even play so far given the state of their performance modes.

aerts1js

My disc drive (which seems to run constantly during any game that uses a disc) vibrates the entire media center. It sounds like a vaccum cleaner.
I’m pretty sure your PS5 is defective.. as you can see in the comments this is not normal behavior

Ownage

We have two PS5 systems, never encounter this.... my PS4 however sounds like a 747 taking off.

Maybe take it apart and thoroughly clean the system?
Mine is less than 4 months old and sits openly in the room next to the TV. Doubt it's dirty.

It roars when playing BO:CW (as this is the last good CoD game) or C2077.

Last edited:
Top Bottom