• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 01•16-18•15 - Rocket Raccoon tak3's top spot, rips out bear's heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eidan

The success of Sniper is mind boggling to me. I've been following box office for close to a decade now, and I didn't see this coming at all.

So American Sniper will wind up the second highest grossing R rated film of all time domestically if this streak holds. It would take a miracle for it to overtake Passion of Christ for #1 though. I had to double check how much that movie made. $370 million. That is insane.

Mr.Swag

Banned
So American Sniper will wind up the second highest grossing R rated film of all time domestically if this streak holds. It would take a miracle for it to overtake Passion of Christ for #1 though. I had to double check how much that movie made. $370 million. That is insane.

Guns and Jesus
Seems fitting for domestic box office.

Sure they will. Part of the reason they purchased those properties is so they didn't have to flounder about trying to break into that market on their own.

Pirates simply doesn't have the cachet it once had, and the bad sequels have essentially devalued the brand enough that chasing after that dollar doesn't make any sense when Marvel & Lucasfilm are going to deliver that dollar x3, yearly.

Maybe in about 5 years there'll be a new Pirates movie that's essentially a reboot or a sideways adventure without Capt. Jack Sparrow or whatever. But they don't really need to.

Don´t talk about stuff you don´t know about. Fifth Pirates movie is coming in 2017. And no they won´t abandon it as long as it´s making money. And give me proof that Pirates movies are irrelevant nowadays. Besides 3 did less than 4, and almost as much as 2. Pirates is very popular internationally, and it´s a billion $ franchise whether you like it or not.

Slayven

Pirates is still a billion $ franchise. Disney won´t abandon a billion $ even though they have Marvel, SW and Pixar.

Depends on how the next does, if it follows the current Depp trend, well....

Plus the advantage of the 3 is you don't have to pay one guy a quarter of the budget before one scene is filmed.

Don´t talk about stuff you don´t know about..

I try not to. I think this 5th movie was too far along to abandon, I think they'll put it out, it'll do not great, it'll disappear, and then in about 5-10 years, they'll try something different. Maybe. Chaining it to Depp is going to prove to be a liability by the time this happens, if he isn't already.

It feels like a completely unneccessary venture, and I think ultimately it is. As was the fourth.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
The success of Sniper is mind boggling to me. I've been following box office for close to a decade now, and I didn't see this coming at all.

The US LOVES to worship anyone who joins the military. People actually think they are "fighting for our freedom". Its insanely gross but that is why the movie is doing so well.

pestul

The US LOVES to worship anyone who joins the military. People actually think they are "fighting for our freedom". Its insanely gross but that is why the movie is doing so well.
It hasn't worked this well for other films in the genre though. The current geopolitical climate has to be influencing the box office here with its target demographic. The 'shoot everyone brown' demo...

kswiston

So unofficial estimates for American Sniper are pointing at a large Saturday increase, and a mid $60s second weekend. Don't be surprised if the estimates place the film at $200M as of today.

American Sniper's opening weekend was the 41st largest of all time. If it makes at least $63M this weekend, it will net the 8th largest second weekend ever (5th largest if we discount films that had a holiday weekend on their second week).

If things don't slow down next weekend, 2014 might not be the first year since 2007 to miss having a $400M+ film. The 2014 domestic race is done. Mockingjay won't hold onto the crown.

kswiston

Saving Private Ryan is still the highest grossing war movie of all time with $217M. That came out 17 years ago. American Sniper's performance is completely unprecedented, especially among movies based on recent wars.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) American Sniper - $64.4M (-27%) - $200M total
2) The Boy Next Door - $15M
3) Paddington - $12.4M - $40M total
4) The Wedding Ringer - ???
5) The Imitation Game - $7.1M - $61M total

xx) Mortdecai - $4.1M

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Saving Private Ryan is still the highest grossing war movie of all time with $217M. That came out 17 years ago. American Sniper's performance is completely unprecedented, especially among movies based on recent wars.
So it's basically guaranteed to pass it at this rate?

Cheebo

Banned
AS is going to crush Guardians of the Galaxy and Hunger Games. #1 of 2014 domestic with ease. Who would have thought?

kswiston

There would have to be some rather dramatic drops in the coming weekends here for it to not obliterate that total. The film is going to be practically unchallenged until Fifty Shades of Grey.

American Sniper has a shot at becoming the highest grossing Rated R film of all time, beating Passion of the Christ. After 2 weekends, the films are only separated by $13M, and American Sniper had a much better second weekend drop.Even with Superbowl eating into its Sunday gross next weekend, it should easily beat Passion of the Christ's third weekend take of $32M.

Cheebo

Banned
Marvel stays winning.

What? American Sniper is going to topple Guardians for the #1 2014 domestic title. No doubt at all.

And yeah, Sniper has a decent shot at topping Passion of the Christ. 400 mil for this is not out of the question if it keeps up at this pace.

kswiston

The Hobbit: TBOTFA opened to around $49M in China. Much needed given the film's performance elsewhere. Chinese total will likely end up in the $115-130M range with that start.

American Sniper has a shot at becoming the highest grossing Rated R film of all time, beating Passion of the Christ. After 2 weekends, the films are only separated by $13M, and American Sniper had a much better second weekend drop.Even with Superbowl eating into its Sunday gross next weekend, it should easily beat Passion of the Christ's third weekend take of $32M.

Do you think it's a possibility Fifty Shades takes this title?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

not a chance
Will likely be in the top 5 for rated R openings but that sort of film will have a monstrous second weekend drop

not a chance
Will likely be in the top 5 for rated R openings but that sort of film will have a monstrous second weekend drop
I don't know, every single female co-worker and FB friend is talking about this thing... despite the fact that some of them haven't read the freaking book.

kswiston

No. Event films catering almost entirely to female audiences have no legs. I also think there are a lot of women who would read 50 shades of grey, but would be embarrassed to go to the theatre to see the same content. I don't expect book sales to transfer to movie sales in the same ratio as something like Twilight did.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
No. Event films catering almost entirely to female audiences have no legs. I also think there are a lot of women who would read 50 shades of grey, but would be embarrassed to go to the theatre to see the same content. I don't expect book sales to transfer to movie sales in the same ratio as something like Twilight did.

Also quite a few people don't like how the actors look, plus don't think it will translate to screen well since it will be rated R. I know me and my girlfriend's mom are in this boat and are just going to wait till redbox or something.

kswiston

Also quite a few people don't like how the actors look, plus don't think it will translate to screen well since it will be rated R. I know me and my girlfriend's mom are in this boat and are just going to wait till redbox or something.

There's also the fact that the film is tracking at a $45-55M opening ~2 weeks ahead of release. I know that tracking can often be way off (look at American Sniper), but so far we aren't seen any evidence backing up record breaking performance.

FTF

like sex has a chance against guns and jesus in america.

The movie also looks like a piece of shit. 50sog should have huge opening day and weekend though, being Valentine's Day and all, but yeah will def drop off a cliff after that.

I could see its ow at $75-80m+

bachikarn

What? How?
I thought the Matrix series was inspired by Hinduism and Buddhism. Revolutions even has Hindu mantras as it's credit songs.
Maybe I am wrong.

Neo was basically Jesus in the first movie. It def had influences of other religions too though.

mreddie

Dunno what's more shocking, Magic and Mortedcai bombing, Boy Next Door making money, Sniper still on top or Sniper somehow beating Katniss and Rocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom