• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 01•16-18•15 - Rocket Raccoon tak3's top spot, rips out bear's heart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have avoided movies aside from Marvel releases for a while now, but that AS trailer was awesome and got me to see it tonight.

Pretty good, straightforward movie

i0jmBu0S1zBXB.gif

Truuuuuuu

I also make that face to all fools who call collateral his last great movie. That shit ain't even top five tbh. It's like calling jurassic park one of Spielberg's best films 🌚

That's for the children. Miami Vice and blackhat is for the big boys

jett

D-Member
Truuuuuuu

I also make that face to all fools who call collateral his last great movie. That shit ain't even top five tbh. It's like calling jurassic park one of Spielberg's best films 🌚

That's for the children. Miami Vice and blackhat is for the big boys

I'll never understand the Miami Vice lovers. That movie is absolute balls.

HeySeuss

*gags*

This can't be true....,

I don't see what the big deal is. He's not saying those are the only movies he watches, just the only ones he likes to go to the theater for. He can wait for the others on steaming or Redbox or whatever.

I'm pretty much the same way. I think gotg was the last movie I saw and winter soldier before that. I'll prolly see the new star wars though. I like to see event-type movies in the theater and right now the only ones that feel like an event are Marvel movies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Snipers 3 day revised down a smidge to $89.5 due to underestimating Sunday's fall
4 day is at $105.3M after a $15.8m Monday

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The Wedding Ringer was hilarious.

Also, the ending with Hurley (Jorge Garcia) blurting out that line got me good. I won't spoil it, but that shit was awesome. Some of the people I was with didn't get it so I had to explain, but it was obvious the rest of the theater did. LOL.

gimmmick

Holy fuck at that American Sniper opening, it was expected to not even get half of that! I'm going next weekend with my father in law, really excited.

I saw a lot of tv time during both cowboys play off games... Talk about targeting your audience. I didn't expect the theater to be packed when I saw the movie tonight. Great movie, one of Cooper's finest performances.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Holy crap. They've updated Mockingjay's weekend numbers......GOTG is at $333,145,154
.....Mockingjay is at $332,944,000 LOL so close. $200,000 difference now.

Should overtake it by Wednesday, maybe Thursday and make an extra 5m ish on top
Will be interesting to see if Sniper can leg it out to win the year though. If it can get a big oscar win it would certainly help things

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm going to the theater tomorrow, and sadly they have the idiotic system where you have to reserve a seat.

The 1pm American sniper only has seats left on the front row.

The 2pm Jakarta movie has only two tickets purchased
Fuck that, I only go to theater's that let me reserve. I hate having to show up early so I can get a nice middle seat.

goku1693

Maybe I am just late to the party, but did i read that right about Hobbit??? 675 million in total????!!!! Thats insane!

Matt_

Mockingjay is now the top film of 2014

jett

D-Member
http://deadline.com/2015/01/america...p-george-lucas-box-office-preview-1201354871/

UPDATE, SATURDAY 3AM: With Warner Bros./Village Roadshow’s American Sniper shooting down more box office records this weekend with an updated industry projection of $61.2M

This is insane. I guess AS is really speaking to the gun-toting MURICA crazies.

Another star-studded bomb went off at the B.O. following last weekend’s Blackhat debacle: Johnny Depp’s $60M R-rated comedy Mortdecai flatlined with an estimated $1.6M on Friday at 2,648 theaters, on track for a horrendous $4.6M weekend in eighth place.

Among Depp’s wide releases, that bow is lower than his 2011 Hunter S. Thompson adaptation The Rum Diary, which posted $5.1M and was also overpriced ($45M) in relation to its final domestic cume ($13M). It’s Depp’s fourth flop domestically after Alcon/WB’s Transcendence ($100M budget, $23M domestic B.O.), The Lone Ranger ($215M budget, $89M domestic) and Rum Diary (This is outside his ensemble work in Disney’s Into the Woods which is looking to take tenth this weekend with a projected cume through Sunday of $121.29M).

The Depp is done. Soon enough he will be co-starring in the next Nicolas Cage production.

Matt_

60M second weekend is outrageous
Can't see this not beating Mockingjay and Guardians with holds like that

Ridley327

FTF

AS's box office run is just insane, and one of the most impressive in history. Its third weekend's gross will be what most thought its opening weekend would be.

And lol @ Mortdecai, making it rated R was really stupid (not that it would have done significantly better if PG-13, but still dumb) and every trailer looked terrible.

Ridley327

So why is American Sniper doing so much better than Lone Survivor?

It's a mix of a few things.

1) Warner Bros. crafted one of the best marketing campaigns ever for this film
2) Chris Kyle's murder is still fresh enough to draw a lot interest by itself
3) On a similar note, the memoir he wrote that the film uses as a base material was a huge best-seller
4) Incredibly well-timed Oscar consideration, coming a day before its wide release expansion
5) Slow January in terms of new releases to fight for the spotlight, particularly for dramas

It's not that Lone Survivor did poorly; it's that American Sniper did phenomenally well.

I'm going to the theater tomorrow, and sadly they have the idiotic system where you have to reserve a seat.

The 1pm American sniper only has seats left on the front row.

The 2pm Jakarta movie has only two tickets purchased

Reserving seats is the only way to go. Fuck having to arrive an hour early just to stake out a decent seat, especially while people keep a seat empty between them and everyone else.

I moved to Portland a year ago and they've never even heard of the concept up here. The number of films I've seen in theatres has plummeted in response.

I moved to Portland a year ago and they've never even heard of the concept up here. The number of films I've seen in theatres has plummeted in response.

I think the Empirical Theater does it.

But the Regals/Cinemarks aren't likely to do it anytime soon, and Hollywood/Roseway/St. Johns Twin/Cinema 21 aren't big enough to where it seems necessary.

jtb

Banned
the sad thing about Mortdecai is that it might still end up being bigger than Blackhat's lol

(whatever I did my part this week!)

andthebeatgoeson

I haven't seen either movie. But, based on the trailers I feel qualified to say AS is a million times better than Lone Survivor.
I have and Lone Survivor had Walhberg's stench on it. Nor was it anything great. Clint has a good reputation, so give him credit. The word of mouth for Clint and Cooper is pretty good. I enjoyed it. I saw a ton of old people at the theater when I went but I haven't kept up with why people are shocked. I appreciated the film going into the psychiatric problems soldiers face after returning from war.

kswiston

Friday Studio estimates:

1) American Sniper - $18.3M - $154M total
2) The Boy Next Door - $5.7M
3) The Wedding Ringer - $3.3M - $31M total
4) Paddington - $2.6M - $30M total
5) Taken 3 - $2.1M - $71M

- American Sniper is already Clint Eastwood's highest grossing film domestically (no inflation of course)

- For comparison, Guardians of the Galaxy made $12.3M on its second Friday. Mockingjay made $24.2M, but that was Thanksgiving weekend and not really comparable. Mockingjay's $22M second Saturday will easily be topped by American Sniper. I don't see how American Sniper won't be the top 2014 film at this point. WOM is obviously good, and there's not much competition again next weekend.

- The Hobbit pt 3 will open to around $50M in China this weekend, which means that it could finish in the $125M range.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Lone Survivor did about 4x its budget, well over the 2.5x multiplier most analyst say is the break even point. It was by all means a successful film.

Pirates is still a billion $ franchise. Disney won´t abandon a billion $ even though they have Marvel, SW and Pixar.

Sure they will. Part of the reason they purchased those properties is so they didn't have to flounder about trying to break into that market on their own.

Pirates simply doesn't have the cachet it once had, and the bad sequels have essentially devalued the brand enough that chasing after that dollar doesn't make any sense when Marvel & Lucasfilm are going to deliver that dollar x3, yearly.

Maybe in about 5 years there'll be a new Pirates movie that's essentially a reboot or a sideways adventure without Capt. Jack Sparrow or whatever. But they don't really need to.

OldRoutes

Sure they will. Part of the reason they purchased those properties is so they didn't have to flounder about trying to break into that market on their own.

Pirates simply doesn't have the cachet it once had, and the bad sequels have essentially devalued the brand enough that chasing after that dollar doesn't make any sense when Marvel & Lucasfilm are going to deliver that dollar x3, yearly.

Maybe in about 5 years there'll be a new Pirates movie that's essentially a reboot or a sideways adventure without Capt. Jack Sparrow or whatever. But they don't really need to.

Hum? http://deadline.com/2015/01/pirates-of-the-caribbean-5-kaya-scodelario-1201355222/

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Pirates is something they own completely which advertises their own amusement parks. The fourth alone cracked in a billion dollars. If they could have put another down already, they would have, but its success is heavily tied to Depp. Depp can have more bombs, but still fall back on Pirates and Burton films to keep him warm.

And let's be honest, even without Marvel. Disney still had WDA and Pixar. With the live action hits every now and then like Alice, Pirates, Enchanted, National Treasure, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom