• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 01•16-18•15 - Rocket Raccoon tak3's top spot, rips out bear's heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

megamerican

In comparison to the $90m opening weekend of American Sniper, they aren't the greatest.

You cannot just pithily explain AS's success as "people like war" or "they're back now" when Lone Survivor had less than half of American Sniper's OW gross just one year ago under similar circumstances.

Lone Survivor grossed $125 million only in the US against a $40 million budget. It was a success. AS is the extreme outlier here. You wouldn't called The Dark Knight a flop cause of how it compares to Avatar.

Bizazedo

Once again, I'm not saying anything about their quailty. I'm merely responding to someone who thinks that the fact that it's a war movie means it will do well. if that was the case, then the quality of Fury and Lone Survivor wouldn't matter. I'm arguing that clearly it does and that the positive buzz/WOM/stars attached to it must be a difference-making quality beyond people "like war."

I agree with that, mostly...I just think word of mouth in this day and age kills movies so fast, especially if the marketing isn't as good as American Sniper's was.

Like American Sniper started out in limited release, had excellent buzz, and had excellent marketing focusing on a "Is he going to shoot that kid? It's limited release, he really might shoot that kid!"

So like Lone Survivor, on the other hand, had word of mouth and decent marketing, it didn't have a hook to draw it in and the movie title alone kind of spoils the movie when it starts with a team of guys. The fact that it did as well as it did I'd actually chalk up to "War".

Tookay

i'd be happy that a normal, non franchise film is doing so impressively well by just telling a self-contained story but american sniper sounds unwatchably awful (unless it subverts your expectations)

It's a good movie, with a great performance by Cooper, that's more about the transformation of a man (and what he brings back with him between tours) than it is solely about a war.

Bizazedo

i'd be happy that a normal, non franchise film is doing so impressively well by just telling a self-contained story but american sniper sounds unwatchably awful (unless it subverts your expectations)

It's a good movie and it didn't focus too much on the home front (which kills these types of movies for myself and others I know. I despise it, usually, when it goes back to the homefront).

This movie had an excellent balance with most of the focus being in Iraq.

kswiston

Lone Survivor had a 3.3x opening weekend multiplier, which beats pretty much every blockbuster released last year except Guardians. Regardless of the critical response, you can't claim poor WOM with its target audience.

Tookay

Lone Survivor grossed $125 million only in the US against a $40 million budget. It was a success. AS is the extreme outlier here. You wouldn't called The Dark Knight a flop cause of how it compares to Avatar.

Once again, I'm just saying that there's something more about AS overperforming than "people like war." I'm not saying that LS wasn't a success or that Fury wasn't a success, but just in comparison, there is something obviously different about AS this go-around.

We're not really arguing as much as you think we are.

jtb

Banned
American Sniper holy shit.

Blackhat holy shit. (lol)

(didn't get a chance to see Blackhat this weekend... part of the problem)

kswiston

American Sniper holy shit.

Blackhat holy shit. (lol)

(didn't get a chance to see Blackhat this weekend... part of the problem)

Better go next weekend if you want to see it, because you know it is losing 80%+ of its screens after that.

Akahige

It seems like Ron Howard's taking a big liking to him after leading Rush, since he's also leading In the Heart of the Sea, which is based on the story that inspired Moby Dick. I doubt he's going to be hurting for jobs any time soon.
Yeah I also think he's pulling in big for The Huntsman flick, the guy will be fine.

FoneBone

The Huntsman sequel seems like a bad idea destined for mediocre returns at best.

Agreed - a four-years-late sequel (or maybe it's a prequel, whatever) to a movie that was tepidly received in the first place, and only did decent (hardly stellar) business doesn't seem like a recipe for massive success.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Agreed - a four-years-late sequel (or maybe it's a prequel, whatever) to a movie that was tepidly received in the first place, and only did decent (hardly stellar) business doesn't seem like a recipe for massive success.
Snow whites not even in it right?

Blackhat was a pretty good movie, and certainly felt more authentic on the tech-side than anything else I've seen for sure

Baffled by the piss poor reviews but eh whatever. I just really hope this Bomba doesn't kill his career. Mann's pretty old now

What in the fuck at AS.

I knew it was gonna be big when I saw it in limited a few weeks ago for a 10 PM showing on Tuesday night on a premium screen normally reserved for shit like The Avengers (ie a BIGASS theater) was packed up the wazoo, but I didn't think it would do this good.

Tbh the movie isn't that good either. It's really on the same level as Lone Survivor when it comes to being ham fisted, though Lone Survivor did better at making their characters realistic with flaws rather than Jesus with a sniper rifle...

Zero Dark Thirty still the best modern war movie.

kswiston

Rentrak must have made a mistake with the Hobbit gross when they first posted their chart, because the gross has been updated to the correct total of $803M now.

Still a pretty poor take. Battle of Five Armies is going to have to do serious business in China to match the total of Desolation of Smaug.

Ridley327

He's been making TV movies since Collateral anyway.

i0jmBu0S1zBXB.gif

DiscoJer

Once again, I'm just saying that there's something more about AS overperforming than "people like war." I'm not saying that LS wasn't a success or that Fury wasn't a success, but just in comparison, there is something obviously different about AS this go-around.

We're not really arguing as much as you think we are.

It's not that people like war, but I do think there is clearly an audience in the US for a modern war movie that isn't blatantly anti-American, but more nuanced (it's certainly not as rah rah as some people are portraying it.)

Beyond that, the person American Sniper is about was a fairly popular figure in the US with a best selling book.

This is kind of like how Richard Nixon getting elected shocked a lot of people in the media - NeoGaf tends to lean heavily to the left, so they can't possibly imagine a movie like American Sniper doing well, even though it's closer in tone to how much of the country feels than this place does.

Rentrak must have made a mistake with the Hobbit gross when they first posted their chart, because the gross has been updated to the correct total of $803M now.

Still a pretty poor take. Battle of Five Armies is going to have to do serious business in China to match the total of Desolation of Smaug.

Still no word on Hunger Games?

kswiston

Still no word on Hunger Games?

$1.8M weekend - $332.47M total

Unless you are asking about the worldwide total, which won't be updated until tomorrow. Mockingjay is pretty much finished its overseas run outside of China. Unless it makes significant gains over Catching Fire in China, it won't pass GotG worldwide.

$1.8M weekend - $332.47M total

Unless you are asking about the worldwide total, which won't be updated until tomorrow. Mockingjay is pretty much finished its overseas run outside of China. Unless it makes significant gains over Catching Fire in China, it won't pass GotG worldwide.

travel_sbXXXIV_800.jpg

Toothless

I've been following box office religiously since the middle of 2012. This is legitimately the most positively mind-boggling number I've ever seen.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Have to say i just saw American Sniper, and well i really loved it. Im actually really happy it made so much money. I see a lot of disappointment from GAF around the film and i just dont see it. Its not the best of the year but as a chronicle of a mans life and what war does it was pretty great. You combine the fact it felt nothing like an Eastwood movie which really elevates my respect for him as an 83 yr old dude, and well i think this was a big success all around. Worth watching for sure.

I'm going to the theater tomorrow, and sadly they have the idiotic system where you have to reserve a seat.

The 1pm American sniper only has seats left on the front row.

The 2pm Jakarta movie has only two tickets purchased

witness

Holy fuck at that American Sniper opening, it was expected to not even get half of that! I'm going next weekend with my father in law, really excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom