• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 01•16-18•15 - Rocket Raccoon tak3's top spot, rips out bear's heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tookay

The only things I know about Blackhat from its endless marketing over the last month are:

*"weird title" being uttered every single time by someone watching the commercial
*Mann
*Thor
*JAKARTA

Ridley327

It looks like Die Hard 4 with Michael Mann cinematography.

The hacker movie genre is still legit shook after Swordfish.

You know, I think most audiences would have preferred something a bit more over-the-top than how the film depicts hacking, which is little more than Hemsworth and the Chinese actors typing silently at keyboards, while the camera glances over at lines of code and lists of commands. It probably did need a blowjob, a parkour sequence, or a blowjob parkour sequence.

DiddyBop

A combination of bad trailers, decidedly mixed-to-negative WOM, Hemsworth being an unproven lead outside of Marvel films, and Mann coming off of a generally disliked film in Public Enemies. As much as I liked the film, there was no way it wasn't going to flop, even if I didn't think it was going to flop this hard.

Yea I feel I will enjoy it as well. Plan on seeing it in a few weeks

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
It still amuses me that both Seventh Son and Jupiter Ascending are out on the same day. It's like the powers that be at Hollywood are giving audiences a bye week.

Hahaha so true ;.;

Poor Seventh Son, it stands no chance.

Jupiter Ascending may do extremely well overseas though so it may not be as much as a disappointment for WB.

Ridley327

Hemsworth needs to reup with Marvel asap

It seems like Ron Howard's taking a big liking to him after leading Rush, since he's also leading In the Heart of the Sea, which is based on the story that inspired Moby Dick. I doubt he's going to be hurting for jobs any time soon.

Donos

Hahaha so true ;.;

Poor Seventh Son, it stands no chance.

Jupiter Ascending may do extremely well overseas though so it may not be as much as a disappointment for WB.

Second trailer for Jupiter Ascending was 10 times better then the first. Don't think that it's going to be a bomb WW but also not really a hit. Then again people didn't go into Edge of Tomorrow alot which was very good in my book.

Cheebo

Banned
Second trailer for Jupiter Ascending was 10 times better then the first. Don't think that it's going to be a bomb WW but also not really a hit. Then again people didn't go into Edge of Tomorrow alot which was very good in my book.

Jupiter Ascending tracking so far has been awful. It is tracking to be a massive bomb. Edge of Tomorrow is likely a mega hit by comparison.

The second part doesn't mean much, as that has happened several times, if not quite to this extent. But the fact that American Sniper could realistically take the domestic crown (depending on legs of course) would be one of the biggest box office upsets in years.
The only thing close is Titanic with around 80%, but you're right, it is more for a "Oh wow" kind of laugh than anything.AS has already shown remarkable longevity in limited release, so I'm almost tempted to say it's more likely than not to beat Mockingjay.

It's certainly a game changer kind of opening, the same way Spider-Man 1, 300, and Hunger Games were. I wouldn't be surprised to see Paramount move Mission Impossible 5 to MLK 2016

Ridley327

Of the two, Jupiter Ascending stands a better chance, if only because WB has been advertising it quite a bit, and Cloud Atlas put up respectable numbers internationally, even if it didn't quite clear its budget. It's still crazy how much faith WB has in the Wachowskis, but considering they bankrolled a film as financially toxic as Inherent Vice, I suppose they have a bit of a masochistic streak about them.

Seventh Son is fucked eight ways from Sunday.

A good friend of mine wants me to watch Taken 3 with him

negativ_zpse47ee3ea.png

People like war.
War movies in general yeah, modern war movies doing well is only a more recent development though.
Hollywood considered them toxic for years and Hurt Locker was the first to start a turnaround.(even that only did 17mil total in the US though.)

Edit: Holy shit Hurt Locker is already 6 years old?

Ridley327

Seventh Sun opened to $16M in China this weekend. I wonder if that will end up being higher than its domestic opening.

It's projected for $8 million right now, so that will almost assuredly be the case. Jurassic World can't come soon enough for Legendary.

Bizazedo

The TV spots for American Sniper have been very good. I'm surprised at the numbers but I'm not surprised that people want to see it.

People wanted to see if he shot that kid from the commercials. I know it's the first question my father asked when I got back.

Separately, it was a great movie.

kswiston

It's projected for $8 million right now, so that will almost assuredly be the case. Jurassic World can't come soon enough for Legendary.

Well Legendary has been sitting on Seventh Son for about a year and a half now, so I'm sure they have already written the film off.

It was originally slated for Feb 2013.

On top of the positive review buzz and solid trailers for American Sniper, I saw Bradley Cooper seemingly showing up everywhere doing solid/positive interviews to promote it. Not surprised to see it do better then expectations...but this is another level.

Animator

Holy shit at blackhat budget. What were they thinking?

Not seeing how Paddington is getting all those rave reviews either, the trailer was painful to watch.

Ravek

Banned
Saw Whiplash last night. Thought it was given a wide release, but judging by the total of 6 people in the theater, I guess not.

Fantastic movie.

Tookay

People like war.

Not really.

Fury only made $40m on its opening weekend.

Lone Survivor only made $40m on its opening weekend (in January. following a limited release similiar to American Sniper). And that was the highest grossing among the more recent post-9/11 war film genre, according to Wikipedia.

If anything, people have traditionally been pretty fatigued from war movies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Blackhat Bomba, Sniper destroys. Paddington just flounders.

What a weekend.

To be fair Paddington wasn't ever expected to do much more and it should hold quite well with those reviews

FeD.nL

The marketing behind American Sniper was so damn solid, great job to whoever were in charge of that. Still 90m is absolutely insane.

megamerican

Not really.

Lone Survivor only made $40m on its opening weekend (in January. following a limited release similiar to American Sniper). And that was the highest grossing among the more recent post-9/11 war film genre, according to Wikipedia.

Wait. Are you trying to say that $40 million opening weekends for R rated, non franchise, non sequel movies are bad?

If anything war movies have been gaining steam again. There was a lull for a while with Stop Loss, Kingdom, and even Hurt Locker underperforming. But seems like they're back now.

Bizazedo

Not really.

Fury and Lone Survivor weren't very good, though, either. And I mean that in the entertaining sense since making war movies fun and exciting seems anathema.

American Sniper was the first war movie I've seen in awhile that made me compare it to Black Hawk Down.

Tookay

Wait. Are you trying to say that $40 million opening weekends for R rated, non franchise, non sequel movies are bad?

If anything war movies have been gaining steam again. There was a lull for a while with Stop Loss, Kingdom, and even Hurt Locker underperforming. But seems like they're back now.

In comparison to the $90m opening weekend of American Sniper, they aren't comparable.

You cannot just pithily explain AS's success as "people like war" (like the original poster asserted) or war movies are "back now" when Lone Survivor had less than half of American Sniper's OW gross just one year ago under similar circumstances.

Fury and Lone Survivor weren't very good, though, either. And I mean that in the entertaining sense since making war movies fun and exciting seems anathema.

American Sniper was the first war movie I've seen in awhile that made me compare it to Black Hawk Down.

Once again, I'm not saying anything about their quailty. I'm merely responding to someone who thinks that the fact that something's a war movie means it will do well. if that was the case, then the quality of Fury and Lone Survivor wouldn't matter. I'm arguing that clearly the quality clearly does matter and that the positive buzz/WOM/stars attached to AS must be a difference-making quality beyond people simply liking war movies (which was a disputable claim itself).

Empty

i'd be happy that a normal, non franchise film is doing so impressively well by just telling a self-contained story but american sniper sounds unwatchably awful (unless it subverts your expectations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom