• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Are they going to mandate trials though? Pointless if there's no requirement as very few developers will take advantage of it...

Developers complained about it, particularly as I think certification was different for the trial version.

They won't mandate it, if they did, they will undoubtedly get criticised for it so its best to let developers choose themselves

Any news on upcoming downloadable releases in the next few weeks for Xb1 ? Got about 20 bucks to spend and nothing I want to purchase as of now

Kampfheld

Banned
Xbox One Now supports trial and unlock game demos

Xbox One's Games Store has had very few demos in the eight or so months it's been on the market, but that's set to change, as Microsoft has recently implemented an update in which game demos will be available in the same capacity that the were and still are on Xbox 360.

You'll now be able to trial games for free like you do when sampling an Xbox Live Arcade title, before paying to unlock the full version without having to download the whole thing from scratch. You won't find current games on the Xbox One Games Store available to trial, but future titles will.

"When Xbox One launched you could do game demos and you could do games. But we didn't have the functionality that was on Xbox 360 - that 'trial' experience where you could download a demo and then convert it [to a full version]," ID@Xbox boss Chris Charla explained.

"But now we do. In the same way that we update the Xbox One OS every month, they update the development system every month - or regularly, anyway. So that's something that we recently turned on. I don't think we've seen any ID@Xbox games yet that have shipped with trials, but we may well in the future. It's something that's open to everybody."

Microsoft is also looking to make ID@Xbox games more visible on the Xbox Games Store, with no delineation between what qualifies as a game. "On Xbox One, a game is a game is a game. They won't be segregated in any way at all," says Charla.

"Saying that, we have had a lot of player requests for some way to specifically find the ID@Xbox games, so we have talked about adding some functionality so that people can do a search for just the ID@Xbox games," he added. "But anything we did like that would be in addition to our core values which are that they are in the store with everything else."

ID@Xbox titles so far include Strike Suit Zero, Super Time Force, Outlast and Sixty Second Shooter Prime. Four ID@Xbox games launched in the space of one week in June, and the number of indie titles set to make their way to Xbox One is set to increase.

"You can expect lots more games coming. There are literally hundreds of ID@Xbox games in development right now," Charla noted. "There a lot in development for 2015, and some for 2016, too."
Original source

Cool they finally shared this one officially. They included several other new features within their new SDK updates I can't talk about right now. But you will like them. Very, very much :)

The Sunset Overdrive vid yesterday spoke about pre-ordering coming soon, so I assume that and pre-loading will be in the August preview so that it's ready before the Sep release of Sunset.

Shylock

I was very much amused to get an acheivement while I played the trial version of Trials -- don't know if it was intentional or a bug, but I don't think that had ever happened to be on the 360 (although I am old and forgetful)

Developers complained about it, particularly as I think certification was different for the trial version.

They won't mandate it, if they did, they will undoubtedly get criticised for it so its best to let developers choose themselves

It's a shame they won't. They could just remove the additional certification costs if needs be, but they should push for all indie titles to have a trial.

I was very much amused to get an acheivement while I played the trial version of Trials -- don't know if it was intentional or a bug, but I don't think that had ever happened to be on the 360 (although I am old and forgetful)

It happened but it was always a "purchase the full game to get this achievement" deal.

It's a shame they won't. They could just remove the additional certification costs if needs be, but they should push for all indie titles to have a trial.

Theres no certification costs now all but I can see why developers wouldn't want it, some games might not demo well but its a difficult position for MS, do they be pro consumer or pro developer?

Letting developers decide is the right thing to do I think, if they are confident enough in their product then they will do it I guess

Kampfheld

Banned
Hm. I can really understand that discussion. Speaking for myself tho, I didn't like those "you NEED to do a demo" requirement. Back in the XBLA days and especially in the early days of developement, this was always in our heads. Knewing everyone will probably demo your game before getting it always was a barrier. "Okay, people will test this. We need to totally blow them away within our first few minutes.". Unneeded pressure. We even had one point during a developement cycle were we actually changed gameplay elements just because we had fear people will not get used to it fast enough in the demo.

It works well for some games (non-linear; multiplayer) - and not so well for others (story-driven) in my honest opinion.

However, I also understand that a demo is always good from a consumers perspective. Always. Just want to give you my thoughts on this :)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Great to see trial-into-full-game returning. I'd think there is enough of a precedent on 360 to solidify the potential of trials with digital downloadable games.

Hopefully this also means that games that have demos on 360 upon release, will automatically have them on the XB1 as well. It seemed pretty silly that games like Halo Wars, Super Time Force, or Child of Light would be demo-capable on one Xbox Platform, yet not the other.

So now... crossbuy. Let's get onto that, next! I'm quite glad that Happy Wars was announced to have cross-console MP. It's a step in the right direction, surely.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's totally crazy that the demo purchase conversion wasn't there from day one. It's shocking to me how much MS did right with the Xbox 360 that just didn't make the list as a priority for Xbox One

Hm. I can really understand that discussion. Speaking for myself tho, I didn't like those "you NEED to do a demo" requirement. Back in the XBLA days and especially in the early days of developement, this was always in our heads. Knewing everyone will probably demo your game before getting it always was a barrier. "Okay, people will test this. We need to totally blow them away within our first few minutes.". Unneeded pressure. We even had one point during a developement cycle were we actually changed gameplay elements just because we had fear people will not get used to it fast enough in the demo.

It works well for some games (non-linear; multiplayer) - and not so well for others (story-driven) in my honest opinion.

However, I also understand that a demo is always good from a consumers perspective. Always. Just want to give you my thoughts on this :)

Thanks for your perspective on this it's much appreciated.......Now about that SDK stuff that we would like"very very much" :)

I know you can't tell.

Haines

Banned
Picked up Wolfenstein, hopefully I enjoy it. Never played a Wolfenstein game before.

Its a great game. I found a lot of fun in it for me was the fact that it had a lot of old school PC shooter gameplay in it so if you were into those at all the throwback to picking up tons and tons of ammo/health constantly is kind of cool

It's totally crazy that the demo purchase conversion wasn't there from day one. It's shocking to me how much MS did right with the Xbox 360 that just didn't make the list as a priority for Xbox One

Yes, I thought it was going to have everything that Xbox 360 did and more from day one. Oh well, at least they're updating the whole system fairly quickly.

LNBL

I feel you. Bought wolfenstein this morning, probably won't be able to play it until tomorrow. Shit is ridiculous. They need to work on their preloading. Letting me only play the intro isn't really "ready to launch"
Started downloading around 19:50, installing finished at 03:10. Amazing

Yeah idk y this gen, the system OS aren't moving from where they left off, but creating new starting points, behind where they were last gen. I think we all took for granted it would add on to what it already had.

Shylock

Yes, I thought it was going to have everything that Xbox 360 did and more from day one. Oh well, at least they're updating the whole system fairly quickly.

Every couple years, we upgrade some major in-house systems here at work, and every time we end up losing features and customizations that were way more important to our customers than our sponsors realized or prioritized.

Then we spend another 6 months putting those back in. :D

I agree with the updating quickly part -- it fills in the time between new games pretty nicely.

Rembrandt

Banned
Started downloading around 19:50, installing finished at 03:10. Amazing

That's insane. I want to go digital only but these installation times are just so bad. Sony definitely takes the W with that one.

heard some stuff about preordering coming soon does anyone know anything about that ?

Seems Sunset Overdrive will be the first, but I wouldn't be surprised if the MCC didn't have it either. One of those two will start it.

Lima

That's insane. I want to go digital only but these installation times are just so bad. Sony definitely takes the W with that one.

By offering slower download speeds than Live in most countries? Yeah such a win.

I downloaded Wolfenstein on release day in a little over 3 hours. It's 46GB for fucks sake so of course it will take a while.

eastx

Theres conflicting reports as to whether it is this week or not (on Xbox One), I haven't updated the OP because I'm not really sure

Unless the PR people are mistaken, Magic is definitely coming later on Xbox One. I'm also getting a 360 code first as a result.

zorbsie

Any word on when Nutjitsu will be available outside the US? Asked the dev on twitter but got no response. You guys seem pretty connected so I thought I'd ask here.

Redshirt

Banned
Bummer about Magic. I figured that was probably the case when TrueAchievements had access to the 360 cheevos but not the XB1's.

Any word on when Nutjitsu will be available outside the US? Asked the dev on twitter but got no response. You guys seem pretty connected so I thought I'd ask here.
Shouldn't have to wait too long, a couple weeks ago they said to expect it late July/Early August. https://twitter.com/ninjabeegames/status/481196585976483840

1001 Spikes also submitted their PEGI stuff a couple weeks back so that should come soon also outside of US

Seriously, 1001 spikes may end up being my most played xbox one game. I have put about 15+ hours into it so far, down to 560ish lives for last half of Antarctica.

I don't think I am going to make it.

Another Xbox One game passed kickstarter

SKARA The Blade Remains

Developed with Unreal 4, Skara is the first MOV (Multiplayer Online Versus). A Fighting Game in arenas for up to 16 players at a time.

edit: It's free-to-play on STEAM, they don't mention if it will be F2P on XB1, but I assume it will be.

They clarify though for those worried about F2P

We believe that the more people playing Skara, the better game it will become, and going free is the only way to get players helping us to make Skara better, whether they spend money or not.

Because Skara will always be a free-to-win. We will sell only cosmetic items, such as fancy armors, character skins or even fatalities- we hope some players will like to pay for spectacular ways to kill their enemies. But everyone will be able to access the whole content of the game with virtual currency that you can earn fighting in our arenas.

We promise to cut no corners in development, providing the most beautiful graphics and the most exciting gameplay, while being steadfastly committed to staying free-to-win.

No matter how deep pocketed you are, you can't pay to win in Skara.

The Golf Club has just popped up on pegi for Xbox One, ties in with submission for cert to MS.

Let's hope it passes quick, game looks like an amazing golf game.

£26.99 on steam early access, so may be an expensive one on xbox one (unless it's game with gold), does look worth every penny if you like your golf games.

m23

I've reached 90% of my hdd used thanks to wolfenstein. Looks like I'll need to buy an external for the fall.

Spades

The Golf Club has just popped up on pegi for Xbox One, ties in with submission for cert to MS.

Let's hope it passes quick, game looks like an amazing golf game.

£26.99 on steam early access, so may be an expensive one on xbox one (unless it's game with gold), does look worth every penny if you like your golf games.

That is great news. I've been looking forward to this game since it was announced and it has a really big chance to get a stranglehold on the console golf market with no EA game for a while.

shit, how many games do you guys buy? I think I have at least 10-12 and mine's only halfway full. It's only been 8 months.

Yeah, same here. Think I'm around 48% and I've bought quite a few games (though I've also uninstalled Assassin's Creed IV). I also don't necessarily see the point in buying a bigger hard drive -- don't you guys uninstall games that you've finished and won't be playing in the conceivable future? And even if you want to play them, you can always just reinstall them. Don't see a big issue there.

m23

Do it. I bought a cheap 1TB HDD (no powered) and everything changed for me. No more "which game I should delete" in order to play the lastest release.

Yeah, I'll probably buy one sometime next month. Do you need to keep the hdd plugged in though? I'm thinking of using the external drive as a storage option for games I don't play very often so that I can only plug it in if I want to play a certain game. I'd use the internal drive for games I play regularly.

shit, how many games do you guys buy? I think I have at least 10-12 and mine's only halfway full. It's only been 8 months.

I have bought quite a few, but there are some games which take up a lot of space as well.

Yeah, same here. Think I'm around 48% and I've bought quite a few games (though I've also uninstalled Assassin's Creed IV). I also don't necessarily see the point in buying a bigger hard drive -- don't you guys uninstall games that you've finished and won't be playing in the conceivable future? And even if you want to play them, you can always just reinstall them. Don't see a big issue there.

The issue is the install times. If I want to play a game, I don't want to sit there for half an hour waiting for it to install. Sometimes I feel like playing the most random game, so I'd rather just keep them installed. I guess if you don't touch your games after you beat them, it's best to just uninstall them...

Lima

Yeah, I'll probably buy one sometime next month. Do you need to keep the hdd plugged in though? I'm thinking of using the external drive as a storage option for games I don't play very often so that I can only plug it in if I want to play a certain game. I'd use the internal drive for games I play regularly.

Don't. Even the shittiest external drive you can buy will give you an improvement in loading times. Buy a 1 or 2TB good external and move everything from the internal drive over and never use it again. It's truly terrible.

I ran out of space last March. I know I may not be the typical user, but it is pretty lame to include such a low storage HDD on a machine that should last years.

My current game list:

Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Child of Light
Contrast
Crimson Dragon
Dead Rising 3
FIFA 14
Fighter Within
Forza Motorsport 5
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
Halo: Spartan Assault
Just Dance 2014
Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct Classic
Kinect Sports Rivals
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
LEGO The Hobbit
LocoCycle
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
NBA Live 14
Need for Speed: Rivals
Nutjitsu
Peggle 2
Powerstar Golf
Rayman Legends
Ryse: Son of Rome
Sixty Second Shooter Prime
Skylanders Swap Force
Strider
Thief
Titanfall
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Zombie Driver Ultimate Edition
Zoo Tycoon

Ade

I ran out of space last March. I know I may not be the typical user, but it is pretty lame to include such a low storage HDD on a machine that should last years.

My current game list:
*SNIP*

Crikey, its just possible you've bought more games than I have, and I thought *I* was bad... Although my 2TB is holding strong!

Yup, you have more than me, just. Damn you US only games!

Top Bottom