• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Damn, this looks just like what was happening to me.. NOT a Vizio, though. Went through two Samsung monitors.

I'm guessing it's a Xbox issue, hopefully solved through an update.

Edit: Also, my issue isn't just during 4k movies (my monitor is not HDR10), but also in games and at the dashboard.

Well damn. Hopefully a software update can fix this issue.

MrBenchmark

Damn, this looks just like what was happening to me.. NOT a Vizio, though. Went through two Samsung monitors.

Edit: Also, my issue isn't just during 4k movies (my monitor is not HDR10), but also in games and at the dashboard.

Just thought I'd add I have a 2014 Vizio P55 and have had no signal drops at all. Games , Movies work perfect. Watched UHD Blu-rays no issues. Watched regular Blu-rays signal switches to 1080P because of 24hz so TV does the scaling. All games ,apps and UHD movies TV stays in 4K res and works perfect. It changes when it needs to and I have yet to have these issues. I am in the Preview program on my One S along with my other 2 launch systems.

DirtyLarry

Also happens on the dashboard for me, but so far not games. Which I guess means I am lucky but which also means that probably makes the issue that much harder to troubleshoot. There does not seem to by much rhyme or reason and no one component it does or does not affect.

Guys, does the S turn on TV and Reciever without a Kinect?
I believe it will if you program it to. I skipped that setup part since I am waiting on my Kinect adapter.

I posted what I did earlier today right when I woke up so had not turned on my TV or One yet. When I turned it on I saw my TV had a firmware update. I was so hoping the issue was perhaps fixed somehow even though I am very confident it is the One, I thought you just never know. Issue is still there with the latest firmware for my Vizio.

I really do hope it is somehow fixed soon in an update. If not I am going to be forced to go back to the good old days of Cable Box right into the receiver as its own input, which means no more TV upscaled to 4K as my receiver just does not do a good enough job with it.

EDIT - Sure enough as if the gaming gods were punishing me for me faith, literally a minute after posting this playing Halo 5, it happened.
So yeah, it happens with everything for me. Not just TV or the Dash. Damn thought I lucked out.

dcx4610

The black screen flashing thing is worrying me. I had the problem years go but it turned out to a handshake issue with my receiver.

Are we SURE it's the Xbox One S and not a receiver problem? I'm waiting for the Halo bundle on the 23rd and I really hope the first batch isn't defective.

nick776

The black screen flashing thing is worrying me. I had the problem years go but it turned out to a handshake issue with my receiver.

Are we SURE it's the Xbox One S and not a receiver problem? I'm waiting for the Halo bundle on the 23rd and I really hope the first batch isn't defective.

My One S is connected directly to my TV.

I ordered the new XB1 S controller from Amazon. I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but how does the new controller feel? Have they made any adjustments to how the right and left bumpers feel? Triggers feel any different?

Ushay

SO I'm wondering what the actual release for the 500GB/1TB versions are in UK? There is no sign of any announcements..

dcx4610

I ordered the new XB1 S controller from Amazon. I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but how does the new controller feel? Have they made any adjustments to how the right and left bumpers feel? Triggers feel any different?

I like it a lot. The grips on the back are subtle but feel good. The controller feels more streamlined and comfortable to hold. The bumpers are no longer clicky and are soft like the triggers. Some people don't like that but I think it's an improvement.

Other than that, the triggers and analog sticks feel the same to me. I wish they would have changed the d-pad from clicky to soft but that's my only complaint.

Moreche

I use Apple HDMI cables because the thinness and flexibility allows me to fit them into a cable tidy easily but I'm now worried that they may be affecting picture quality.
Do I only need the included cable for 4K or should I switch over to it for 1080p? Thanks.

c0de

Stranger of Sword City, Raiden V, Zoo Tycoon, Powerstar Golf are probably some of the more decent ones. The Forza games (5,6,Horizon 2)

I've heard Screamride is kind of meh.

Also, did you have a 360? Might be worth it to help recommend you some 360 backwards compat exclusives you might not have tried

Hey, wasn't it you who was at e3 and heard that the S has more power but in the end you thought you were too drunk to exactly remember? ;-)

webkatt

I'm a little perplexed as to why they went with the bumped plastic on the new controller versus the actual textured grip of the lunar/forza controller.

$$$$$$$$

So my Xbox one S detects that my TV can do 4k and switched the resolution but when I go into the advanced settings it has the red sign over every 4k feature - anyone else have this issue?

So my Xbox one S detects that my TV can do 4k and switched the resolution but when I go into the advanced settings it has the red sign over every 4k feature - anyone else have this issue?

Yeah.
I unchecked all the boxes on that screen, exited out, when back in and checked all the boxes again and everything went green that was supposed to go green.

Kevin

Alright I grabbed the titles that I wanted. I'm actually surprised how few exclusives Microsoft has that are not also on PC.

I plan on getting a Neo hopefully soon and just wanted a 4K player and the Xbox One S fit the bill. Will be nice to catch up on Halo 5 and a few others as well as Gears 4 (will probably get Gears 4 on One maybe PC later). Do wish there were more that I am interested in that were not also available on PC (which I also have).

Anyways thanks for the input guys. Look forward to messing around with the Xbox One S and hopefully it will tie me over until I can get a PS4 Neo (a shit ton of games I want to grab on that).

DirtyLarry

As Nick776 said, and I can also attest to, I also had the issue with the one connected directly to my TV.
So I really do believe it is a One issue, and perhaps it is just perpetuated when it is connected to my receiver.

With that said, I have tried my resolution as 1080p and right now I have not seen the issue but it has only been about 30 minutes. I will report back to see if it is gone completely, which would truly and utterly suck if that was the case as my primary reason for picking up the Slim was 4K.

nick776

As Nick776 said, and I can also attest to, I also had the issue with the one connected directly to my TV.
So I really do believe it is a One issue, and perhaps it is just perpetuated when it is connected to my receiver.

With that said, I have tried my resolution as 1080p and right now I have not seen the issue but it has only been about 30 minutes. I will report back to see if it is gone completely, which would truly and utterly suck if that was the case as my primary reason for picking up the Slim was 4K.

Honestly, it's so bad that I really regret getting the One S at this point. It's either my TV or the One S, but I suspect it's the One S since so many other people are having the problem. It's just not locking signal on HDR content with Blue Ray. It's literally unusable for me. The only times (now) that I am able to watch it is by plugging in and unplugging HDMI and trying different inputs until one catches the signal. It's the most frustrating and disappointing electronics purchase ever for me. I bought this thing only for the HDR and that seemingly isn't working.

Isurus

Honestly, it's so bad that I really regret getting the One S at this point. It's either my TV or the One S, but I suspect it's the One S since so many other people are having the problem. It's just not locking signal on HDR content with Blue Ray. It's literally unusable for me. The only times (now) that I am able to watch it is by plugging in and unplugging HDMI and trying different inputs until one catches the signal. It's the most frustrating and disappointing electronics purchase ever for me. I bought this thing only for the HDR and that seemingly isn't working.

I'm in the same boat. HDR content with Blu Rays causes intermittent blackouts. Essentially, unusable. I'm using a Vizio M70-D3.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Alright I grabbed the titles that I wanted. I'm actually surprised how few exclusives Microsoft has that are not also on PC.

I plan on getting a Neo hopefully soon and just wanted a 4K player and the Xbox One S fit the bill. Will be nice to catch up on Halo 5 and a few others as well as Gears 4 (will probably get Gears 4 on One maybe PC later). Do wish there were more that I am interested in that were not also available on PC (which I also have).

Anyways thanks for the input guys. Look forward to messing around with the Xbox One S and hopefully it will tie me over until I can get a PS4 Neo (a shit ton of games I want to grab on that).
Yea unfortunately they switched trajectory with the Xbox as a console and are pretty much only chasing the console-only crowd and those that get their yearly Call of Duty/FIFA/Madden/Battlefield and GTA ...etc. on console, which is still the majority of course, so it's not so bad I suppose. Hopefully they figure out how to leverage the PC to sell their Gears and Halo in markets the Xbox console isn't strong in, it would bring a nice balance.

Hawk269

gear 4 is a play anywhere title so if you buy the one version you get the pc version for free.

DirtyLarry

I'm in the same boat. HDR content with Blu Rays causes intermittent blackouts. Essentially, unusable. I'm using a Vizio M70-D3.
I, at this point in time, 110% regret picking it up as well.

The screen blackout issue is just too great in frequency at this point in time for me to overlook it. The video I shared earlier in the thread from last night was it actually being pretty good and it happens 4 times in around 40 seconds. Today playing Halo it happened over 10 times in under a minute and the game was literally unplayable.

Even worse, I have in fact changed the output setting of the One to 1080p, and guess what? No issue at all. Have not seen it once and it has been almost two hours since I changed it. Considering the frequency at which I was seeing it, I no doubt would have seen it by now.

I actually WANTED to see the issue on 1080p because that means it was something not related to the 4K. I get I do not own the latest TV or the latest receiver, but both do support 4K. May not be HDR and all of that, but it is the standard stuff at least. But for whatever reason either the Slim has decided it does not like one of my components and or it is an unknown issue MS can hopefully patch in an update. What sucks though is not everyone is seeing it, so we have to hope MS feels the small amount of us having the issue is widespread enough to try and fix and address the issue.

finalflame

Have you guys tried changing the color depth settings, or making sure your XBO's HDMI input/receiver is set to support HDMI UHD Deep Color? Not the XBO, but I remember my Roku 4 had issues if I set it to 10-bit color when my TV really only supported 8-bit properly. Dunno, just giving a suggestion, but I'd eliminate your receiver out of the loop and try to work through any settings related to 4K/color depth/signal.

dLMN8R

On moving content from one xbox to another - is there a way to automatically move everything with a single action? Or do I really need to hit the View button on each item one by one to move them from internal to external and then back?

I, at this point in time, 110% regret picking it up as well.

The screen blackout issue is just too great in frequency at this point in time for me to overlook it. The video I shared earlier in the thread from last night was it actually being pretty good and it happens 4 times in around 40 seconds. Today playing Halo it happened over 10 times in under a minute and the game was literally unplayable.

Even worse, I have in fact changed the output setting of the One to 1080p, and guess what? No issue at all. Have not seen it once and it has been almost two hours since I changed it. Considering the frequency at which I was seeing it, I no doubt would have seen it by now.

I actually WANTED to see the issue on 1080p because that means it was something not related to the 4K. I get I do not own the latest TV or the latest receiver, but both do support 4K. May not be HDR and all of that, but it is the standard stuff at least. But for whatever reason either the Slim has decided it does not like one of my components and or it is an unknown issue MS can hopefully patch in an update. What sucks though is not everyone is seeing it, so we have to hope MS feels the small amount of us having the issue is widespread enough to try and fix and address the issue.

That's why I suggested checking that resolution. At least you know it is when you are outputting 4k.

So you can do a few things to trouble shoot.

What HDMI port are you using?

What cable are you using on the xbox to display and cable box to display? If it is an active cable it could be your problem.

What happens if you turn off UHD color on the display when you have 4k on?

From looking at your display it seems you have there inputs.

· HDMI Port 1 SpecUHD Video @30Hz, HDCP 2.2 support
· HDMI Port 2 SpecUHD Video @30Hz, HDCP 2.2 support
· HDMI Port 3 SpecUHD Video @30Hz, HDCP 2.0 support
· HDMI Port 4 SpecUHD Video @30Hz, HDCP 2.0 support
· HDMI Port 5 SpecUHD Video @60Hz, HDCP 2.2 support

I would test with it in 1 or 2, then 3 or 4, and lastly 5 and see what happens. Each teast you need to test with your WGC or UHD color turned on and also off. To see what triggers it.

It seems that model uses the 10gbps HDMI not the full bandwidth 18gbps as well not sure if that is going to effect it or not.

tommyguns

Has anyone ever had this issue before?

I boot up a game and my console either resets itself or shuts down entirely. Then I re boot the game and its fine. Very odd

Bsigg12

On moving content from one xbox to another - is there a way to automatically move everything with a single action? Or do I really need to hit the View button on each item one by one to move them from internal to external and then back?

Why would you take them off the external? That's the only way to do it though other than redownloading everything.

dLMN8R

Why would you take them off the external? That's the only way to do it though other than redownloading everything.

Moved everything from the original to the external so I don't need to redownload everything to the new S

On the new Xbox I want everything on the internal cause my external HDD is kind of crappy and I'm pretty sure the internal will be faster.

Might get an external SSD later, but for now I want everything on the internal.

Kevin

Has anyone tested any of the Xbox 360 backwards compatible games on the Xbox One S? I know some of those games had black crush problems as well as some having some framerate issues (Alan Wake black crush, Halo Reach, Gears of War 3, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts having framerate issues).

Do these and other titles run better on the S?

nick776

Have you guys tried changing the color depth settings, or making sure your XBO's HDMI input/receiver is set to support HDMI UHD Deep Color? Not the XBO, but I remember my Roku 4 had issues if I set it to 10-bit color when my TV really only supported 8-bit properly. Dunno, just giving a suggestion, but I'd eliminate your receiver out of the loop and try to work through any settings related to 4K/color depth/signal.

I believe my TV is a 10 bit panel, so I have 10 bit selected. Again, I have NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER when I have HDR subsampling turned off, but I can't get HDR with it off, so it kind of defeats the purpose of the S. I think the reason more people are not complaining about the issue is due to the fact that there simply are not many people out there who have TVs that support HDR10 proper (i.e. a lot of folks have last year's TVs which are only "HDR" and do not fully support the HDR10 profile). I think a lot of people just don't understand the difference.

Hawk269

Anyone know what the updates to the Blu Ray app has done? I have not had time to test, but I got prompted for an update yesterday and today it had another update. Just wondering if anyone knows what changes they made?

finalflame

I believe my TV is a 10 bit panel, so I have 10 bit selected. Again, I have NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER when I have HDR subsampling turned off, but I can't get HDR with it off, so it kind of defeats the purpose of the S. I think the reason more people are not complaining about the issue is due to the fact that there simply are not many people out there who have TVs that support HDR10 proper (i.e. a lot of folks have last year's TVs which are only "HDR" and do not fully support the HDR10 profile). I think a lot of people just don't understand the difference.

Ah, weird. I'm an owner of a 65KS8000 and the only issue I had was the XBO not detecting my TV's capabilities properly until I enabled UHD Deep Color on the XBOS' HDMI port. Been watching lots of 4K HDR movies via UHD BR and Netflix without issues thus far :/ Hope Microsoft addresses the issue for those who are experiencing it.

Hawk269

Ah, weird. I'm an owner of a 65KS8000 and the only issue I had was the XBO not detecting my TV's capabilities properly until I enabled UHD Deep Color on the XBOS' HDMI port. Been watching lots of 4K HDR movies via UHD BR and Netflix without issues thus far :/ Hope Microsoft addresses the issue for those who are experiencing it.

Same with me. I have 2 Xbox S in our house, one in the living room for my wife hooked up to a Sony 65" XBR900a and other in the game room hooked up to my Sony 75"940d and no issues. I did have issues with my original Xbox One and one of my Denon receivers where I was having hand shake issues, I was within my return window and exchanged the unit and the issue went away.

Isurus

I'm running straight to the TV for video, have the color depth and other setting appropriately set, etc. It intermittently blacks out. Not sure if I need to return or wait it out for a firmware update. I only have issues when enabling HDR. That is clearly the root cause.

Hawk269

I'm running straight to the TV for video, have the color depth and other setting appropriately set, etc. It intermittently blacks out. Not sure if I need to return or wait it out for a firmware update. I only have issues when enabling HDR. That is clearly the root cause.

So if you watch a movie in 4k and you have HDR turned off it is fine? If so, that is interesting. My Samsung UHD player would have hand shacking issues when engaging HDR and I would lose signal every once in a while.

Have you tried having HDR turned off, start your movie, but then go into the tv settings and manually engaging HDR and see if it still does it. If it does not, it is something when it is receiving the HDR signal from the Xbox S that is having a issue with your set. It is just something to test to try to eliminate as many things as possible. There was a blu ray app update, actually 2 of them, have you tested it since these updates?

Isurus

So if you watch a movie in 4k and you have HDR turned off it is fine? If so, that is interesting. My Samsung UHD player would have hand shacking issues when engaging HDR and I would lose signal every once in a while.

Have you tried having HDR turned off, start your movie, but then go into the tv settings and manually engaging HDR and see if it still does it. If it does not, it is something when it is receiving the HDR signal from the Xbox S that is having a issue with your set. It is just something to test to try to eliminate as many things as possible. There was a blu ray app update, actually 2 of them, have you tested it since these updates?

Unfortunately, I cannot manually engage HDR on my set. It only does so automatically when receiving a signal. It defintiely seems to be a handshake issue between the XS and my TV when HDR is enabled (it's fine when I disable HDR - 4K movies play without issue then). I've played HDR content on the TV from other sources, so I'm assuming it's an XS issue. Hoping a software update can fix it.

DirtyLarry

FrankNitty, thanks for the reply and the help. Just seeing it now. Awesome and appreciated. If I have no luck with what I am about to post, I will start trying what you suggested asap.

With that said, I believe I have figured it out on my own. Hopefully this helps others seeing the blackout video issue.

Changing Color Space from PC RGB to Standard (Recommended) appears to have fixed the issue, even with 4K On.

My TV claims to support this color range, so not sure what the issue is, but ever since I changed that setting, I have not seen the issue once. I tried it about 45 minutes after posting last, and it has been over 2 hours actually.

Initially I just changed back to 4K for my resolution and the same issue literally happened within seconds. The PC RGB stood out to me and I decided let me just try changing it to Standard and lo and behold, that appears to work.
Perhaps there is a reason MS makes a point of putting (Recommended) after Standard for the color space.

So my fingers are crossed this was the root cause of the issue. I do see a slight difference in the colors, but it is not a make or break by any means. I would much rather have 4K support.

If I post again about this, the issue persists. If I do not, considered it solved. Huge relief for sure if this winds up fixing it.

Last years TV's are HDR 10 as well, they may just not be in spec as to what the UHDA defines as HDR but if they have HDR it is going to be HDR10.

Didn't the P series just do an update with HDR10? Maybe something is off with the HDR update they implemented. Do you have anything else that will do HDR?

I'm a little perplexed as to why they went with the bumped plastic on the new controller versus the actual textured grip of the lunar/forza controller.

$$$$$$$$

Me too, and money is likely it. It's too bad, too, because the actual textured grip was perfect and it will be a step down to go from the Forza pad to this one.

MrBenchmark

People need to stop using the PC setting with TV's. I don't care what your panel supposedly supports it's like the guy that have the P series I have. Yeah it's a 10 bit panel but it uses 8 bit processing. Some setting shouldn't be messed with if your guessing about what you TV is supposed to be able to do.

Mines has 24hz and 4K checked the rest is standard and I've had zero issues it operates just like it's supposed to.

Top Bottom