• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
I wasn't sure if this was posted here but for you folks who purchased an Xbox One S and still want to use your Kinect sensor you can get the adapter for free right now through Xbox Chat Support.

I just completed it - 7-10 days shipped - all free of charge.

shandy706

Went with my younger brother to Best Buy to pick up a cheap online order yesterday.

We stopped by the games and saw an employee put a S console on a shelf near the X1 games. I picked it up due to my brother mentioning he wanted one earlier in the week.

We ended up walking out with the $400 2TB console, lol. It's so TINY compared to the original X1. Good looking little machine. Reminds me of the PS2.

Fake edit* As we were walking out I heard one of the employees at the front stand where they remove the security device say "I swear I picked our last system and put it to the side!"

I wonder what that meant??

Makes me wonder if he had tried to sneak the last system and someone else screwed him over....to our benefit X-D.

Dominator

Went with my younger brother to Best Buy to pick up a cheap online order yesterday.

We stopped by the games and saw an employee put a S console on a shelf near the X1 games. I picked it up due to my brother mentioning he wanted one earlier in the week.

We ended up walking out with the $400 2TB console, lol. It's so TINY compared to the original X1. Good looking little machine. Reminds me of the PS2.

Fake edit* As we were walking out I heard one of the employees at the front stand where they remove the security device say "I swear I picked our last system and put it to the side!"

I wonder what that meant??

Makes me wonder if he had tried to sneak the last system and someone else screwed him over....to our benefit X-D.
Its possible it was put to the side by the employee for a customer but than another employee put it back out on the floor lol

I wasn't sure if this was posted here but for you folks who purchased an Xbox One S and still want to use your Kinect sensor you can get the adapter for free right now through Xbox Chat Support.

I just completed it - 7-10 days shipped - all free of charge.

Love free stuff. And I got it in 2 days!

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member

Chiggs

Gold Member
I haven't touched my gaming PC since Tuesday. Been blowing through the Master Chief Collection, Halo Reach via BC, Rare Replay, Sundet Overdrive and Gears of War: Ultimate Edition. Having a fantastic time with all of the titles.

Keep in mind, I haven't played an Xbox One since 2014, but I've been incredibly impressed with just how polished everything is in Xbox world. The new update seems to have brought a lot of really impressive changes, and I'm constantly surprised at just how well thought out everything is with this system and the Xbox Live Gold service (love Major Nelson's quick little video updates every week).

This system has reminded me why people favor consoles over PCs.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I haven't touched my gaming PC since Tuesday. Been blowing through the Master Chief Collection, Halo Reach via BC, Rare Replay, Sundet Overdrive and Gears of War: Ultimate Edition. Having a fantastic time with all of the titles.

Keep in mind, I haven't played an Xbox One since 2014, but I've been incredibly impressed with just how polished everything is in Xbox world. The new update seems to have brought a lot of really impressive changes, and I'm constantly surprised at just how well thought out everything is with this system and the Xbox Live Gold service (love Major Nelson's quick little video updates every week).

Glad you like it! Get Quantum Break and Red Dead Redemption while you're at it, and consider the upcoming Forza Horizon 3!
These games, along with others, are the absolute best and brightest highlights of the Xbox One for me. Halo collection, Gears collection, RDR, Black Ops, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Quantum Break, such awesome titles from last and current generation, and it's lovely to play them all in one place with the great controller.

webkatt

If anyone is making impulse of this because they wear it will sell out, I would advise against it. I've been to several stores in the Los Angeles area and it seems to be readily available.

Bioshocker

It's true it isn't as loud as last gen, but this is meant to be on while watching tv, not just gaming. Nobody wants console noise while watching tv.

True. That's why I can't use my PS4 for Blu-ray movies. I guess I'll hang on to my OG Xbox One for now since it's the box I use for Blu-ray's and DVD's.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Glad you like it! Get Quantum Break and Red Dead Redemption while you're at it, and consider the upcoming Forza Horizon 3!
These games, along with others, are the absolute best and brightest highlights of the Xbox One for me. Halo collection, Gears collection, RDR, Black Ops, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Quantum Break, such awesome titles from last and current generation, and it's lovely to play them all in one place with the great controller.

Yeah, I'm definitely grabbing RDR!

People need to stop using the PC setting with TV's. I don't care what your panel supposedly supports it's like the guy that have the P series I have. Yeah it's a 10 bit panel but it uses 8 bit processing. Some setting shouldn't be messed with if your guessing about what you TV is supposed to be able to do.

Mines has 24hz and 4K checked the rest is standard and I've had zero issues it operates just like it's supposed to.
Huh? The Vizio P-Series are true 10-bit panels that display 10-bit video signals. Where are you getting this wild notion that it downconverts everything to 8-bit?

Kevin

Vizio P owner here. Anyone want to recommend me some good 4K HDR content to stream over the Xbox One S from any app?

Xenoflare

so what's different about the Xbone S controller compared to the regular One controller?

Mostly cosmetic changes, the compartment where it holds the bumper and the xbox button are now in flush with the front plate.

Minor analog stick changes that is better against wear and tear (YMMV, MS said this but no one did a technical review of this)

Textured grip, though it's just plastic, so if you held one of the Elite pads this will be a step down, if coming from a OG XB1 pad it will be something nice

Fake edit: Oh yeah, Bluetooth support and "increased range", I never had an OG XB1 but my 1S never had any disconnection problems

Oh yeah and by the way, is the battery indicator as poopy as the 360's? The system has been telling me that I'm running low on battery (the duralcells that came with the pad) and I've been able to use it for a long time even after the system told me the battery is low.

Vizio P owner here. Anyone want to recommend me some good 4K content to stream over the Xbox One S from any app?
If all you want to do is benchmark the set and see what it is capable of, then anything from this website is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Otherwise, just about every one of the new Netflix shows are 4K (watch Lady Dynamite for laughs, Stranger Things for an awesome good time). YouTube 4K videos are nice and free, as well.

And, the penultimate, any of the 4K Dolby Vision movies available on Vudu.

Kevin

psychotron

True. That's why I can't use my PS4 for Blu-ray movies. I guess I'll hang on to my OG Xbox One for now since it's the box I use for Blu-ray's and DVD's.

I think it really depends on placement. It's nowhere near the jet engine PS4, but definitely louder than the OG. Mine is about 9 feet away and *knocks on wood*, I can't hear it. That's good enough for me. The only thing bothering me now is the left stick on the controller. When I click it, it almost has two steps. I press a bit, feel a click and hear the noise, but in order for it to register I need to press a bit harder, producing a second click. So yeah it's like two levels of clicks.

dcx4610

FrankNitty, thanks for the reply and the help. Just seeing it now. Awesome and appreciated. If I have no luck with what I am about to post, I will start trying what you suggested asap.

With that said, I believe I have figured it out on my own. Hopefully this helps others seeing the blackout video issue.

Changing Color Space from PC RGB to Standard (Recommended) appears to have fixed the issue, even with 4K On.

My TV claims to support this color range, so not sure what the issue is, but ever since I changed that setting, I have not seen the issue once. I tried it about 45 minutes after posting last, and it has been over 2 hours actually.

Initially I just changed back to 4K for my resolution and the same issue literally happened within seconds. The PC RGB stood out to me and I decided let me just try changing it to Standard and lo and behold, that appears to work.
Perhaps there is a reason MS makes a point of putting (Recommended) after Standard for the color space.

So my fingers are crossed this was the root cause of the issue. I do see a slight difference in the colors, but it is not a make or break by any means. I would much rather have 4K support.

If I post again about this, the issue persists. If I do not, considered it solved. Huge relief for sure if this winds up fixing it.

That's interesting and good to hear. PC RGB has been an issue from day one with the Xbox One. I don't know if Microsoft is to blame or Sony here honestly but I'll explain.

When modern TVs say they support full RGB, they mean they can accept the signal and convert it. TV and movies use colors 16-255 in the RGB spectrum. When it detects a "full" signal, it's supposed to convert it to "Limited" RGB.

However, uniquely if you set your TV to "Full" and Xbox to "Full", it ends up clipping the blacks and displaying at 16-255. If you set your TV to "Full" and the Xbox to "Limited", it washes out the picture. If you set your TV to Limited and Xbox to Limited, it's perfect and properly displays at 16-255.

The weird part is on both the PS3/PS4, if you set your TV to "Full" and the PS3/PS4 to "Full" it displays properly. If you set your TV to "Limited" and the system to "Limited", it also displays properly.

Who's at fault here? Are the Sony consoles just doing the 16-255 conversion themselves and not truly supporting full RGB or are the Xbox One RGB settings broken?

The short answer is if your TV has "Automatic" for RGB, pick that option and then set your Xbox One to Limited.

MrBenchmark

Huh? The Vizio P-Series are true 10-bit panels that display 10-bit video signals. Where are you getting this wild notion that it downconverts everything to 8-bit?
2014 P series the last P model before the current one. I have no Signal drop out because I have it set properly and my info is from AVS forum the 2014 P series thread.

aaronwt

I'm in the same boat. HDR content with Blu Rays causes intermittent blackouts. Essentially, unusable. I'm using a Vizio M70-D3.

It's been solid with my Sony 850C with HDR content. Nothing intermittent. I'm also using the HDMI cable that came with my XBOne S.

aaronwt

Have you guys tried changing the color depth settings, or making sure your XBO's HDMI input/receiver is set to support HDMI UHD Deep Color? Not the XBO, but I remember my Roku 4 had issues if I set it to 10-bit color when my TV really only supported 8-bit properly. Dunno, just giving a suggestion, but I'd eliminate your receiver out of the loop and try to work through any settings related to 4K/color depth/signal.

If your TV can handle HDR it needs to be able to send 10 bit for HDR. Since that is what the UHD BDs use. And I know is what my Samsung UHD BD player also sends to my UHD TV. With my XBOne set for 10bit, which you need for HDR, I've had zero issues with any UHD BDs I've tried. Or gaming with it sending 2160P60.

aaronwt

That's why I suggested checking that resolution. At least you know it is when you are outputting 4k.

So you can do a few things to trouble shoot.

What HDMI port are you using?

What cable are you using on the xbox to display and cable box to display? If it is an active cable it could be your problem.

What happens if you turn off UHD color on the display when you have 4k on?

From looking at your display it seems you have there inputs.

· HDMI Port 1 SpecUHD Video @30Hz, HDCP 2.2 support
· HDMI Port 2 SpecUHD Video @30Hz, HDCP 2.2 support
· HDMI Port 3 SpecUHD Video @30Hz, HDCP 2.0 support
· HDMI Port 4 SpecUHD Video @30Hz, HDCP 2.0 support
· HDMI Port 5 SpecUHD Video @60Hz, HDCP 2.2 support

I would test with it in 1 or 2, then 3 or 4, and lastly 5 and see what happens. Each teast you need to test with your WGC or UHD color turned on and also off. To see what triggers it.

It seems that model uses the 10gbps HDMI not the full bandwidth 18gbps as well not sure if that is going to effect it or not.

With those specs listed, I would think only HDMI Port 5 would be the one you want to use. SInce it can handle HDCP 2.2, and 2160P at up to 60hz.

aaronwt

FrankNitty, thanks for the reply and the help. Just seeing it now. Awesome and appreciated. If I have no luck with what I am about to post, I will start trying what you suggested asap.

With that said, I believe I have figured it out on my own. Hopefully this helps others seeing the blackout video issue.

Changing Color Space from PC RGB to Standard (Recommended) appears to have fixed the issue, even with 4K On.

My TV claims to support this color range, so not sure what the issue is, but ever since I changed that setting, I have not seen the issue once. I tried it about 45 minutes after posting last, and it has been over 2 hours actually.

Initially I just changed back to 4K for my resolution and the same issue literally happened within seconds. The PC RGB stood out to me and I decided let me just try changing it to Standard and lo and behold, that appears to work.
Perhaps there is a reason MS makes a point of putting (Recommended) after Standard for the color space.

So my fingers are crossed this was the root cause of the issue. I do see a slight difference in the colors, but it is not a make or break by any means. I would much rather have 4K support.

If I post again about this, the issue persists. If I do not, considered it solved. Huge relief for sure if this winds up fixing it.

WHy did you have it set to PC RGB in the first place? That is not the setting to use when connected to a UHD TV.

Balboa

Still can't get over how good this thing looks, the controller is perfection.

U4CiUuX.jpg

MchugN

It's been solid with my Sony 850C with HDR content. Nothing intermittent. I'm also using the HDMI cable that came with my XBOne S.

You're happy with HDR on your 850c? I've found my screen (brightness) takes a major hit while watching HDR content on Netflix, regular 4K content looks way better. But like I said I've only streamed it over Netflix, haven't had the opportunity to watch a UHD Blu ray movie yet.

Does youtube support hdr?
No, not yet. The codec has been deployed, but Google (ABC?) hasn't flipped the switch yet.
Has Vizio patched in HDR10 and Dolby Vision support for their P series TVs? Or is it coming?
Yes, as of two weeks ago. Dolby Vision was always there from the start, but now HDR10 has been implemented. This is a good thread to keep tabs on, regarding these sets.
2014 P series the last P model before the current one. I have no Signal drop out because I have it set properly and my info is from AVS forum the 2014 P series thread.
Ah, gotcha. I thought you were talking about the 2016 P-Series. My bad, carry on.

Colbert

Banned

In addition to what etta is recommending you should also try Ori and the Blind Forest. One of the best games on the Xbox One!

Bought myself a second hand original xbone a month ago as I got a really good deal.
I am loving it so far. These are very good machines. (own a PS4 too)

This new S model is a great looking console.
Absolutely love it.

Have to get myself a white controller. :D

Waiting for Scorpio before upgrading though.

DirtyLarry

WHy did you have it set to PC RGB in the first place? That is not the setting to use when connected to a UHD TV.
Because my TV has a setting under color space that says RGB and specifically says it is for hooking up a PC and the One also has settings for it? Is it really so crazy to think those are settings one can use especially when so many people say those are the settings you should use to get the best colors?

Way to come off like a condescending person though.

Oh yes. Prior to the DF article, I noticed this immediately when playing Elder Scrolls On-Line. There is a path in one of the areas that net me about 6-8 chests, about 10 nodes for metals, about 20-25 nodes for alchemy and about 8 nodes for Runes. I discovered this little path a long time ago and will use it at least once when I play the game, so I am familiar with how the performance is in this area. When I first played it with the "S" I immediately noticed that it just felt smoother overall, but I did not post about it because I wanted to have my wife which also plays the game to see if she felt it was a little smoother.

In another related topic, since my wife also plays games on her own Xbox One, she said she wanted a "S" for the living room as well since she liked the look of it and felt that the game felt smoother, so yesterday we picked up a second "S".

I can confirm that the incredible frame rate drop that happens in Destiny HM raid, where a hunter tethers the middle against Oryx to create orbs looks much much better on the S.

jbug617

Banned
2TB White Sku might be very limited especially in Europe.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...he-white-xbox-one-s-2tb-has-sold-out-for-good
Microsoft launched its shiny Xbox One redesign in a sleek white 2TB model, but stock was limited and the console has now completely sold out at most retailers.

We've now heard from our friends at Eurogamer.cz that Microsoft has no plans to replenish stock of the white 2TB model, which launched with an RRP of £349.

The plan is to move on to the other skus and Special Edition consoles will be the 2TB.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm not as techy as I once was. Has anyone tried connecting the controller to an iPad or iPhone?
There's no driver support so it wouldn't work, maybe on Android with custom generic drivers. There was a rumor that Microsoft will add Xbox streaming to phones and tablets including iOS, which is why they made a Bluetooth controller in addition to doing it for PC.

There's no driver support so it wouldn't work, maybe on Android with custom generic drivers. There was a rumor that Microsoft will add Xbox streaming to phones and tablets including iOS, which is why they made a Bluetooth controller in addition to doing it for PC.

Great to know. Thank you.

Vizio P owner here. Anyone want to recommend me some good 4K HDR content to stream over the Xbox One S from any app?
Keep in mind you need the top Netflix package and your settings set to high, but if you have all of that any show that supports HDR will have the logo on the Netflix overview page. Off the top of my head, Marco Polo season 2 supports HDR and maybe Daredevil.

FinKL

Is there a difference between 2TB, 1TB, 500GB, and GoW Skus?
EDIT I see the 2 tb comes with a vertical stand. Sucks that's it limited, wouldn't mind upgrading to the complete package. Is the vertical stand being sold seperately?

gamz

Is there a difference between 2TB, 1TB, 500GB, and GoW Skus?
EDIT I see the 2 tb comes with a vertical stand. Sucks that's it limited, wouldn't mind upgrading to the complete package. Is the vertical stand being sold seperately?

Yep. 20 bucks

Caayn

Kevin

Games are 100%* region free. You can play a Pal copy on an NTSC console while using J-NTSC DLC.

*Excluding China.

So I won't have any issues at all with this set at all? No weird resolution or hz differences or anything? My tv does not support 50hz.

bgbball31

I almost went and traded in my original Xbox One yesterday, but held off.

I'm thinking that, because all XBO games are coming to PC now and I have a 1080, there's no point in spending the extra money for the 2TB system since I'll be playing on my PC. Am I right that I should just wait for the 500GB? Or is there something I'm missing?

I almost went and traded in my original Xbox One yesterday, but held off.

I'm thinking that, because all XBO games are coming to PC now and I have a 1080, there's no point in spending the extra money for the 2TB system since I'll be playing on my PC. Am I right that I should just wait for the 500GB? Or is there something I'm missing?

You can wait 2 weeks.

Top Bottom