• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Caayn

Can someone plz clarify is HDCP 2.2 HDMI the main thing to look for in HDR tv? If the tv does not have this, then what do you lose or not get from the xbox one s?
HDR requires HDMI2.0a.

HDCP 2.2 has nothing to do with HDR. It's a data protection protocol used to protect media, UHD-Blu-ray's use it for example.

Mindwipe

HDR requires HDMI2.0a.

HDCP 2.2 has nothing to do with HDR. It's a data protection protocol used to protect media, UHD-Blu-ray's use it for example.

But you should absolutely make sure your TV supports it. If it doesn't then you basically won't be getting any professional video content in 4K (either SDR or HDR).

There shouldn't be many TVs shipping without HDCP 2.2 nowadays.

Xbudz

Looking forward to the day when every 4K TV has HDMI2.0a on each input.
I'm currently looking for a good price on an AV receiver that supports HDMI2.0a and on a budget, it's not an easy task. I have to keep checking for sales.

charpunk

Has anyone purchased Oblivion on 4K and have gotten it to play on the s? Every other 4k movie I have plays fine, yet Oblivion keeps locking up Blu-ray app.

Xbudz

As for the guy looking for an AVR, try this one maybe... https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00YAO43YG/

Thanks, that one might fit the bill. It does say it supports HDR, but I want extra verification from somewhere that it uses HDMI 2.0a.

This is the one that I really want:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/denon-denon-avr-s720w-400-watt-7-2-channel-network-av-receiver-only-at-best-buy-avr-s720w/10419627.aspx?path=4c4e9ddb5555cdea3c71ff380b56e511en02

It was even on sale for $499 the other day, but I missed the chance.

Nah yeah I got the text I put in a quote from that post you linked to.
What I mean is what do you mean by "turn off UHD?"
Do you mean put the resolution to 1080p or something? I see no option on my TV's settings for turning off UHD so do not understand what you mean by that.

I mean turn off UHD color. Every set has an option that has to be turned on to get all the boxes to check when you go into 4k advanced settings in the xbox. Not sure what yours is called, but I mean turn that option on and off and see how it effect things.

DirtyLarry

I mean turn off UHD color. Every set has an option that has to be turned on to get all the boxes to check when you go into 4k advanced settings in the xbox. Not sure what yours is called, but I mean turn that option on and off and see how it effect things.
I think you may be thinking I have an HDR TV? I do not. So I am not getting all of those options checked off no matter what I do.
And the only thing I see that is remotely close on my non HDR TV to what you are talking about is Color Space, and pretty sure that is not it, the only options I have there are YCbCr and RBG.
I just do not think my set has the setting you are talking about. Again though, I do not have an HDR set.

Also just a few replies to your other original points.
The only HDMI port on my TV that will allow me to enable 4K on the Slim is 5, the one that is 60hz. The other ones I get the message from the Slim about 4K not being supported on my Set.

As far as cables, I just purchased these last week and I am using them plus the cable that is included with the Slim. So I am pretty sure it is not the cables.

So really I think the Slim just does not like my older 4K set that it should like but for whatever reason it does not. All signs point to this.

And just to share again in case you missed it when I shared earlier in the thread, I saw this same exact issue (ironically enough it was with a totally different TV and receiver) about 2 years ago while I was part of the Dashboard Preview Program for the One. It was literally the same issue. I enrolled out of the program and used the public version, problem immediately solved.

So based on my experience, there is an issue with the One with certain TV's. And I believe from Googling the issue and just seeing a few people on here saying they also have it, it is not because of cables or settings or anything else. There is an issue with the One Slim.

So now I am back to 1080p and no more blackout video issue. But it also means no more 4k. Which is just disappointing as it is the reason I traded in my launch One and 3DS XL to specifically pick up the Slim. I could have kept both and been in the same boat I am now minus a bigger HD and a few more FPS in some games.

Do not get me wrong, I absolutely appreciate the help and trying to help me solve this issue, but at this point what I whole heartedly believe is there is nothing to solve. MS needs to fix it in an update.

Thanks, that one might fit the bill. It does say it supports HDR, but I want extra verification from somewhere that it uses HDMI 2.0a.

This is the one that I really want:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/denon-denon-avr-s720w-400-watt-7-2-channel-network-av-receiver-only-at-best-buy-avr-s720w/10419627.aspx?path=4c4e9ddb5555cdea3c71ff380b56e511en02

It was even on sale for $499 the other day, but I missed the chance.

It does, go to description then view more and read it. The one you listed is the step up that supports Atmos, which the One doesnot, so unless you want to run 7.1 you wouldn't be missing out on much. I have the Denon 2200W but no Atmos speakers so I'm not even using it for the handful of Atmos movies I own.

Well well well, I'll be damned.
I had no idea there were 4K TVs less than 46".

They've always made them, but the other guy was right with them being useless outside of monitor uses. I would disagree that you need a 65 inch to see the difference (as a can definitely tell from my couch on my 55), but I wish I had bought the 60... didn't think my room was big enough but it is.

Kevin

Can I connect a pair of wireless headphones to the controller and have sound only come through the headphones?

I have a pair of Audio Technica headphones I want to use while watching 4K movies on the Xbox One S.

Just got the XboxOne S for free from a sponsor :D

Here's it with my PS4

ps4xboxs.jpg

I want to get a new Samsung HDR 4K TV(Has to be 50 inches or less because that is the only size that can fit in my bedroom right now) I have a 40 inch Samsung but its 8 years old(Still works great but it would be nice to upgrade) Im holding out for black friday hope that there are some great deals on these TVs just not sure which one to get..I am a big fan of Samsung since Ive only dealt with Samsung TVs

C'mon Microsoft. Please reveal the European release dates for the 500gb and 1tb models already! I have a new 4K HDR tv, I have games, I have a few UHD Blu-rays. I have everything ready! Just let me give you my money already!

I want to get a new Samsung HDR 4K TV(Has to be 50 inches or less because that is the only size that can fit in my bedroom right now) I have a 40 inch Samsung but its 8 years old(Still works great but it would be nice to upgrade) Im holding out for black friday hope that there are some great deals on these TVs just not sure which one to get..I am a big fan of Samsung since Ive only dealt with Samsung TVs

Settled on 65KS8500. After much research

Settled on 65KS8500. After much research

Yeah that series is what Im aiming for..the UN49KS8000FXZA since that is the largest size I can have in my bedroom..but right now its 1299 at Best Buy so Im hoping that by Black Friday it will drop in price by a lot..1300 for a TV is WAY too much especially since there is nothing wrong with the TV I have now, it just cant handle the XBOX ONE or PS4 its way too old

dLMN8R

Any reviews of the new controller s version?

I like it, but it's more of a side-grade to the current controller than an upgrade unless you're planning to use bluetooth.

It has a new plastic material and it's not really better or worse, just different. The sticks and buttons pretty much feel the same. It's not like it's a half-step between the old controller and the Elite controller that some hoped for, it's just a different version of the base controller.

I plan to pair it with my laptop, which will be super nice for traveling instead of going around with a USB dongle.

Costco has the LG 65" 65UH615A for $999.

It says it has HDR 10 and seems like it'll work well with the Xbox One S.

Can anyone confirm for someone who doesn't know?

Baseballjones

Neo Member
Ah still can't buy an Xbox after three OG boxes and two 360's malfunctioned on me. She does look very sleek and tempting though. I won't be in the UHD tv market until late 2017 anyway. That controller certainly must be the best gaming controller ever made looks legit. Enjoy the S boys and girls I'm sure it will satisfy y'all until Scorpio. Maybe then I will revisit what Microsoft is doing.

SaganIsGOAT

Just got the XboxOne S for free from a sponsor :D

Here's it with my PS4

ps4xboxs.jpg

God Damn FINALLY someone did this comparison. Everyone kept stacking them and showing them from the front while ignoring one of the most important comparisons; how deep does this thing go compared to PS4. THANK YOU.

ktroopa

C'mon Microsoft. Please reveal the European release dates for the 500gb and 1tb models already! I have a new 4K HDR tv, I have games, I have a few UHD Blu-rays. I have everything ready! Just let me give you my money already!

WTF are ms doing exactly with the UK? are we waiting for gamescom for the release date and price. they sold out of the 2TB but for me any hype on the other models has died down into a wimper of a fart. and i really want an S!

Xenoflare

Are you pressing a button? And, if so, which one?

Nothing, I was just playing my game, I think it happened twice? Already.

The console is a bit warm but still silent since I was playing it for a longtime and it's properly ventilated. I'm completely confused since no notification of any sort is there.

Top Bottom