• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

SaganIsGOAT

Finally bought one from ebay newegg, I can sell those 4 games for an easy $100 on craigslist making this a 2tb console for $300. I also realized if I waited to get a 500GB one for $300 that I would need the stand as well anyways so this deal is just too good to let slip by a THIRD time lol

Just got my Kinect adapter. It essentially replaces the og power brick. lol I might just end up leaving the Kinect with my og One in my living room. The adapter takes up a lot of space and I had to unplug something to power it. I wish they at least added a USB port to make up for it.

Lucifon

Just got my Kinect adapter. It essentially replaces the og power brick. lol I might just end up leaving the Kinect with my og One in my living room. The adapter takes up a lot of space and I had to unplug something to power it. I wish they at least added a USB port to make up for it.
This is my only concern about that. I love my Kinect for voice commands, both my partner and I use it all the time. But I love the look of the slim smaller profile of the S :(

Does the Bluetooth connection for the controller prevent the disconnection/syncing issues from before?

Also, does it really improve framerates?

Lastly, is the console easy to mark while dusting or even touching like the black one was? I HATED that.

This is my only concern about that. I love my Kinect for voice commands, both my partner and I use it all the time. But I love the look of the slim smaller profile of the S :(
Yeah. I kept trying to use voice commands with my S without it. Like, I would've been totally okay if my Xbox didn't come with it, but now that I have it, it's become a natural part of the console for me.

RoKKeR

Saw this in person at a MS store yesterday, looks great and it really is a lot smaller in person. Think I'm going to have to pick one up. Being able to shed the console size, power brick, and external HDD is enough to push me over the edge.

Cynn

I almost went and traded in my original Xbox One yesterday, but held off.

I'm thinking that, because all XBO games are coming to PC now and I have a 1080, there's no point in spending the extra money for the 2TB system since I'll be playing on my PC. Am I right that I should just wait for the 500GB? Or is there something I'm missing?

Select Microsoft published games will be coming to PC, not all Xbox One games.

psychotron

Controller that came with it crunched when you click the left stick. Replaced it and the new one has a home button that only works if you jam on it. WTF!

Angel_DvA

I have a problem, I have 2 Xbone ( the huge OG in my chamber ( wired ) and the Xbone S in my living room ( wifi ) ) today my Xbox One S won't connected to the internet ( when it worked until now ) and when I try to re-configure my wifi settings, the console asked me to unplug the wire... Da fuk is this ? it won't let me do anything until I plug a wire in the Xbox One S that doesn't exist... anyone ?

Max_Po

Banned
I have a problem, I have 2 Xbone ( the huge OG in my chamber ( wired ) and the Xbone S in my living room ( wifi ) ) today my Xbox One S won't connected to the internet ( when it worked until now ) and when I try to re-configure my wifi settings, the console asked me to unplug the wire... Da fuk is this ? it won't let me do anything until I plug a wire in the Xbox One S that doesn't exist... anyone ?

Fully shut it down..unplug the cord... wait 5 sec..turn it...go to options

njean777

Traded in my white OG for a 2tb, happy so far. It is a lot smaller in person than it looked on video. Also isn't much louder at all compared to the OG model.

Max_Po

Banned
The new preview update tonight allows for modifying the start up chime.

Can u turn off the sound??? Its okay when you turn on via swipe or button press but its annoying with the controller. I am talking about custom sound on my call of duty advance warfare edition console.

It took me an hour or so to hook the thing up tonight after dusting, all due to my OCD. I kept getting nervous about touching it, was all sweaty from nerves and everything, and found the power cord a pain to plug in. Probably because I tried to touch the system as little as possible.

I like it a lot but have two questions:

While playing a game for the first time, I noticed that the X button on my controller randomly sticks for a second. Not always but enough to notice. Is this cause for return?

Also, do you need to power the system on with the controller the first time? I wasn't sure if I had the power cord plugged in all the way so I tried pressing the Xbox logo on the front of the system. It didn't work, but using the controller did.

Please advise

Caayn

Can u turn off the sound??? Its okay when you turn on via swipe or button press but its annoying with the controller. I am talking about custom sound on my call of duty advance warfare edition console.
Can confirm that you can disable the sound. You'll have the following options: On, Only with power button or voice, Off.

I know what you mean. My H5 edition is extremely loud and it's been pretty annoying that the start-up sound played even when powered on via the controller (same for the turn-off sound). Glad that we can now disable it.

Swass

Finally bought one from ebay newegg, I can sell those 4 games for an easy $100 on craigslist making this a 2tb console for $300. I also realized if I waited to get a 500GB one for $300 that I would need the stand as well anyways so this deal is just too good to let slip by a THIRD time lol

i was going to wait until black Friday but I finally bit on the 3rd Newegg bundle as well.. I also figure the same, will sell all games for around $80 - $100, get the free stand, will also get the kinect adapter which is only free for a limited time, plus no tax and $8 ebay bucks, makes this a pretty good deal. My only mistake was waiting to sell the OG Xbox One, only got $100 out of it.. wish I sold it before E3, I haven't even used it all summer anyway, those are the breaks. Not making the same mistake with the PS4, sold it as well in prep for the upcoming Neo and fetched far more money for it.

SaganIsGOAT

i was going to wait until black Friday but I finally bit on the 3rd Newegg bundle as well.. I also figure the same, will sell all games for around $80 - $100, get the free stand, will also get the kinect adapter which is only free for a limited time, plus no tax and $8 ebay bucks, makes this a pretty good deal. My only mistake was waiting to sell the OG Xbox One, only got $100 out of it.. wish I sold it before E3, I haven't even used it all summer anyway, those are the breaks. Not making the same mistake with the PS4, sold it as well in prep for the upcoming Neo and fetched far more money for it.

Yeah I sold mine right before E3 and got $220 for it. So basically $80 bucks for an upgrade from an og 500GB xbox one to the 2TB Xbox One S. Worth it. Already have my Taken King PS4 on sale for the inevitable Neo. As long as you are okay being without a console for a little bit I think it is totally worth selling early as possible before an announcement.

Got my One S today. Had to do a bit of driving to find one.

Got home, but only had enough time to hook it up and let it update before work.

4K TV is next on my list and I'll be set.

psychotron

Please tell me you're not forced to use the built in IR blaster. Just got my Kinect adapter and no commands are registering on my devices. My system is tucked away so the built in function is useless to me. If you can't select to use the Kinect blaster then MS has seriously fucked up.

MrBenchmark

Please tell me you're not forced to use the built in IR blaster. Just got my Kinect adapter and no commands are registering on my devices. My system is tucked away so the built in function is useless to me. If you can't select to use the Kinect blaster then MS has seriously fucked up.

did you setup your device and did you run the kinect setup again and are you saying hey cortana or did you turn her off and go back to the Xbox commands. also after setting it up you should do a full reboot.

psychotron

did you setup your device and did you run the kinect setup again and are you saying hey cortana or did you turn her off and go back to the Xbox commands. also after setting it up you should do a full reboot.

I ran Kinect setup, it sees and hears me fine. Saying hey Cortana works fine too. None of the IR commands are registering on my devices though. It seems like it's automatically defaulting to the built in IR blaster, which seems absolutely stupid. I understand it doing so for those without Kinect as it's their only option, but this fucks Kinect owners who don't have their console in plain site. I keep mine hidden but well ventilated so my young kids don't destroy them. If they really did this, they've removed a feature and screwed upgrading OG owners. If I knew this I never would have sold my OG XB1.

Ape

Banned
I ran Kinect setup, it sees and hears me fine. Saying hey Cortana works fine too. None of the IR commands are registering on my devices though. It seems like it's automatically defaulting to the built in IR blaster, which seems absolutely stupid. I understand it doing so for those without Kinect as it's their only option, but this fucks Kinect owners who don't have their console in plain site. I keep mine hidden but well ventilated so my young kids don't destroy them. If they really did this, they've removed a feature and screwed upgrading OG owners. If I knew this I never would have sold my OG XB1.

This is a good question. Hopefully there's a way to toggle between

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
I can get an adapter for free since I already have a kinect, yes?

I just got my free adapter today actually. As long as you registered or can register your original Xbox that came with Kinect all you need to do is contact chat support and ask them for the free adapter.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member

Gamestop has an Xbox One IR Extender that plugs into the IR port on the back and allows you to put those sensors in view if your Xbox is hidden away. I hope that is something that can help you.

MaulerX

I just got my free adapter today actually. As long as you registered or can register your original Xbox that came with Kinect all you need to do is contact chat support and ask them for the free adapter.

It doesn't have to be the original that came with Kinect. I had traded my original XB1 for an Elite (just to get the Elite controller). The serial # for that model worked for me to get the adapter.

USF

C'mon Microsoft. Please reveal the European release dates for the 500gb and 1tb models already! I have a new 4K HDR tv, I have games, I have a few UHD Blu-rays. I have everything ready! Just let me give you my money already!

Xbox Middle East has announced December release for 500GB & 1TB models. Since ME & EU are both PAL territories, Europe might as well have it December.

https://twitter.com/Xbox_Saudi/status/764082801473757185

They've also announced a bundle that includes 1TB Xbox One S + Battlefield 1 + Fifa 17 + Extra controller + 3 Months XBL Gold all for SR1350 (£280/$360)

CpqVGz6XgAEEtXM.jpg:orig

My Xbox One S was actually my first Xbox One experience on the Windows Anniversary update and it's been a bit problematic (if anyone's seen my previous posts in the thread) and I'm now starting to think either my power supply has problems or the update has problems I haven't heard anyone else really report.

All my previously noted network issues are gone -- my Xbox One S now successfully connects to XBL on pretty much every bootup and goes the same speeds as my previous 1TB Forza 6 edition Xbox. I eventually found out I was getting the weird Teredo IP address issue, so I followed the steps I saw online to fix it (basically just factory reset the console) and sure enough, it seems to have worked.

Now, I seem to get sporadic shut-downs, and instant on NEVER works -- it always boots to green Xbox One logo screen with the three circular load indicators, as if it's doing a fresh power cycle boot every single time. Sometimes the Xbox One just shuts off when I'm playing a game, sometimes it shuts off immediately after turn on (I'll just hear the console's "on" beep, then just a few seconds later it does the shutdown beep and sure enough, shuts down). It's happened at least 6 times in the past couple of weeks.

That said, I'm just waiting for a local GameStop to restock so I can go exchange the unit out. I don't know if it's the update causing stability issues or the power supply being borked, but I'm a bit frustrated with the current unit I have with the various network connectivity and odd problems with instant on and random shutdowns. My previous Forza Xbox One never had networking troubles or shutdown troubles... but this S has been nothing but problematic from the start. Hoping that (a) I discover that the latest update is having stability issues and I'm not alone with the random shutdowns and instant on never working or (b) the new unit is like-for-like stable with my old fat Forza unit.

Love the Xbox One S design a ton, and it doesn't seem like anyone else is really encountering problems right now... I also don't have a history with the Xbox One being unreliable like I did with the 360, so hoping it's just a bad draw with this Xbox One S unit -- really do not want to feel disappointed with Xbox again.

Dishwalla

Banned
Bought one of these today, the Navy Exchange had two whole stacks of them, thought these were supposed to be somewhat rare. Thing looks good, really sleek.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Read Dead Redemption runs like an absolute dream on the Xbox One S.

I'm unable to detect major frame drops, even with a lot of activity on the screen.

My Xbox One S was actually my first Xbox One experience on the Windows Anniversary update and it's been a bit problematic (if anyone's seen my previous posts in the thread) and I'm now starting to think either my power supply has problems or the update has problems I haven't heard anyone else really report.

All my previously noted network issues are gone -- my Xbox One S now successfully connects to XBL on pretty much every bootup and goes the same speeds as my previous 1TB Forza 6 edition Xbox. I eventually found out I was getting the weird Teredo IP address issue, so I followed the steps I saw online to fix it (basically just factory reset the console) and sure enough, it seems to have worked.

Now, I seem to get sporadic shut-downs, and instant on NEVER works -- it always boots to green Xbox One logo screen with the three circular load indicators, as if it's doing a fresh power cycle boot every single time. Sometimes the Xbox One just shuts off when I'm playing a game, sometimes it shuts off immediately after turn on (I'll just hear the console's "on" beep, then just a few seconds later it does the shutdown beep and sure enough, shuts down). It's happened at least 6 times in the past couple of weeks.

That said, I'm just waiting for a local GameStop to restock so I can go exchange the unit out. I don't know if it's the update causing stability issues or the power supply being borked, but I'm a bit frustrated with the current unit I have with the various network connectivity and odd problems with instant on and random shutdowns. My previous Forza Xbox One never had networking troubles or shutdown troubles... but this S has been nothing but problematic from the start. Hoping that (a) I discover that the latest update is having stability issues and I'm not alone with the random shutdowns and instant on never working or (b) the new unit is like-for-like stable with my old fat Forza unit.

Love the Xbox One S design a ton, and it doesn't seem like anyone else is really encountering problems right now... I also don't have a history with the Xbox One being unreliable like I did with the 360, so hoping it's just a bad draw with this Xbox One S unit -- really do not want to feel disappointed with Xbox again.

I just stopped using instant on altogether, it's been a more reliable experience. Also use the networking settings to release your MAC address instead of going a full factory restore, I find that effective from time to time.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Read Dead Redemption runs like an absolute dream on the Xbox One S.

I'm unable to detect major frame drops, even with a lot of activity on the screen.
Can you check out Thieves' Landing? That was the only area in the game where I noticed drops.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Sooooo it's been almost two weeks since release, are Digital Foundry still working on a more in-depth analysis? Check how much more consistent Halo 5's 1080p is, check GTA V's fps when driving in the city, Hitman: Sapienza by the church near the ocean, Gears of War 3, Halo Reach, some other backward compatible games...etc.

Daigoro

Does the Bluetooth connection for the controller prevent the disconnection/syncing issues from before?

Also, does it really improve framerates?

Lastly, is the console easy to mark while dusting or even touching like the black one was? I HATED that.

this is what i need to know. havent seen any info about it anywhere.

Top Bottom