• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

While playing a game for the first time, I noticed that the X button on my controller randomly sticks for a second. Not always but enough to notice. Is this cause for return?

Yes, as a person who modded his Xbo controllers, that controller has a defective front shell. You could fix it if you're comfortable enough to sand the X button hole, but that bs will never correct itself otherwise

gohepcat

Banned
this is what i need to know. havent seen any info about it anywhere.

I was under the impression that this was fixed in an early (and quiet) hardware revision.

A friend of mine had this issue and after some bitching he got a new Xbone from MS. That solved the problem.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Does the Bluetooth connection for the controller prevent the disconnection/syncing issues from before?

Also, does it really improve framerates?

Lastly, is the console easy to mark while dusting or even touching like the black one was? I HATED that.

I've had mine for a week now and haven't noticed any drops.

But pretty sure Bluetooth is only for PC connections.

etta

my hard graphic balls
How would it work at EB if you wanted to exchange because of a bad controller? Do you exchange the whole system or just the controller?
Seems to run pretty well for me.
Awesome. The extra bump in performance with the S is such a pleasant little thing.

Caayn

Just ordered my Kinect adapter via the chat. After a quick and painless chat I'm set to receive my adapter in 7~14 days.
Can the console be stood vertically on either side or just with the disc tray at the top?
There are no mounting holes for the vertical stand on both sides. So you can only place it vertical with the disc tray at the top.

Well after 3 days I had a hard reset mid-gameplay. Now when switching from Digital game to disc-based games my Xbox One S will randomly restart. Even when shutting down the system-sometimes will restart. I have gone through troubleshooting about 30x (hold power button for 10 seconds and unplug unit)

Plug unit back in after 10 seconds-even waited 10 minutes once- no dice-still does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VesaaX99Ylg (not my video but thats what ts doing.

I have switched outlets- used direct connection to the wall-etc.

asked MS support and they suggested asking Newegg for replacement- as turnaround from MS is 2-3 weeks

if Newegg doesent offer replacement sooner guess iM out a new console for a few weeks :/

shitty

I sure wouldn't mind using this Bluetooth controller on my iPad Pro. Along with the A/V adapter to mirror to my 4K monitor, it would be nice for the iOS games that supported it. Make it happen, Microsoft.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well after 3 days I had a hard reset mid-gameplay. Now when switching from Digital game to disc-based games my Xbox One S will randomly restart. Even when shutting down the system-sometimes will restart. I have gone through troubleshooting about 30x (hold power button for 10 seconds and unplug unit)

Plug unit back in after 10 seconds-even waited 10 minutes once- no dice-still does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VesaaX99Ylg (not my video but thats what ts doing.

asked MS support and they suggested asking Newegg for replacement- as turnaround from MS is 2-3 weeks

if Newegg doesent offer replacement sooner guess iM out a new console for a few weeks :/

shitty

Hmmmmm, I hope this isn't a wide spread issue due to the new power supply being internal.
I've only seen this twice so far, three with that video.

Oh, and I'd like to see if DF can test Fallout 4's Far Harbor on the S as well, that thing performs atrociously on both consoles.

Z_Y

New bundle for 2TB on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172303948256

Extra controller and a year of Live for $399.99

The newegg game bundles almost swayed but ultimately I realized I was only going to trade them in for peanuts at Gamestop. This did it though. My Live is up next month and I can always use another controller. OG XB1 is going to daughter's room.

Lady Gaia

Isn't it unusual that there are so many bundles below MSRP? I thought the normal situation at launch was forced bundles above MSRP! Then again, the situation with slim refreshes of consoles has never been quite the same as the original launch and it seems as if all the conventional rules have gone out the window for this generation.

I do like seeing the aggressive competition but it can mean a return to the original retail price will be accompanied by a steep drop in sales.

Yes, as a person who modded his Xbo controllers, that controller has a defective front shell. You could fix it if you're comfortable enough to sand the X button hole, but that bs will never correct itself otherwise

appreciate the info

I talked to my friend who works at the store I got it from, and she said it's no problem if I want to return it. I was worried about dealing with someone else, because they've made me give up the replacement's packaging for the defective one to be sent back in before, and that bugs my OCD. I don't mind if they slice the stickers or write on the box, I just want to open it and touch it for the first time at home after showering.

The X button is still sticking the odd time, so it's definitely an issue. I'm kind of glad I get to exchange it, though, because there are odd scratches on the RT trigger that I didn't cause, and the A button got quite a workout from that awful Ben-Hur game.

I've had mine for a week now and haven't noticed any drops.

But pretty sure Bluetooth is only for PC connections.

Good to know. Thanks.

I've used mine twice with no drops. I'd only get the odd one with the other Xbox One after moving my grandmother's oxygen machine (which seemed to be interfering). I got one on the last day of using it.

leng jai

There's 5% of me that is still lusting over getting one of these. The other 95% is telling me I already have a 1TB Forza console and Scorpio/Neo to buy later anyway.

It really would be a frivolous purchase but there's still that 5% of me. If RDR BC was 30fps 24/7 on this it would probably push me over the edge to be honest.

Recreat3

Grabbed one of these last week. 3rd Xbox One I have now purchased. Good to know Msft upped the warranty to 2 years aswell according to the sales guy I bought from :)

etta

my hard graphic balls
There's 5% of me that is still lusting over getting one of these. The other 95% is telling me I already have a 1TB Forza console and Scorpio/Neo to buy later anyway.

It really would be a frivolous purchase but there's still that 5% of me. If RDR BC was 30fps 24/7 on this it would probably push me over the edge to be honest.
RDR BC was 30fps 23:59/7 on the standard Xbox One so...

J6BRwwbRi2u1q.gif

leng jai

Hmmm, did you have it on an external drive?
I only had fps issues in Thieves' Landing.

Just on the normal HDD. I meant Thieves Landing actually not Black Water. I'm waiting for someone like DF to do a more extensive benchmark test for the S, not sure if it's coming though.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Just on the normal HDD. I meant Thieves Landing actually not Black Water. I'm waiting for someone like DF to do a more extensive benchmark test for the S, not sure if it's coming though.
Yea I was hoping DF would go HAM on performance captures, I want to see GTA V, Far Harbor, Halo 5's dynamic resolution...etc.

Just an FYI, I've been having random disconnects with the controller that comes with the S. I wasn't getting any with my fat Xbone :(. Only happened twice, though.

Just an FYI, I've been having random disconnects with the controller that comes with the S. I wasn't getting any with my fat Xbone :(. Only happened twice, though.

Honestly I don't trust xbox one wireless controllers any more, I had disconnects for a good year on my launch unit before I gave up and played console games with a 2m cable attached.

RoKKeR

Ok y'all, question about bringing another console into the family. If I get a One S and leave my original XBO at home, all of my purchases will only be transferred to the One S - which I would mark as my "home" console - correct? So my sister would have to re-buy any games she wants to play on the original console at home, is that right?

HAWDOKEN

Ok y'all, question about bringing another console into the family. If I get a One S and leave my original XBO at home, all of my purchases will only be transferred to the One S - which I would mark as my "home" console - correct? So my sister would have to re-buy any games she wants to play on the original console at home, is that right?

As long as you are signed in, she can play the games you purchased on the console regardless of which console is designated as the "home" console.

shitty

Well, you're not alone. I've been having these issues myself, and GameStop has sent a request to another more remote store about 70 miles away to send a replacement for me, so I'll be swapping out later this week.

I hope this is not a widespread issue. My previous Xbox One that I traded in for the S worked just fine, I'm hoping my replacement unit is right back to that status quo.

I know that I have to return my controller and get it replaced, because the sticky X button has not gone away (as expected and mentioned by someone else in this thread.) It must be catching on something. It doesn't do it all the time, but relatively frequently there'll be a delayed pop because of it sticking.

I spoke to my friend who's an assistant manager, she said no problem. I just need to get up to the store, as it's 20 minutes away. No rush though.

Now, I'm honestly wondering if I should return the whole thing for an exchange.

- When I set the system up and updated it, it went back to a menu where it said "You need to update" and spent 30 seconds to one minute searching for the update again. Then it said I was up to date.

- The dash, My Games & Apps and Internet Explorer have all been really sluggish.

- It just hasn't felt right. I know that XBL had issues recently, but things that weren't listed were messing up for me (ie. Internet Explorer, or whatever they call it.)

Of course, I could just be paranoid. I normally am. But I figure it'll be better to be safe than sorry. I mean, the thing shouldn't need a hard reset after a few days of moderate to limited use, let alone after the first day.

Max_Po

Banned
Guys, I am thinking of upgrading mine to an S .... any console-hardware specific problems so far???

any issue that anyone has experienced or should I go a head and get a 2TB version ?

Thanks

If I am to return and exchange mine, should I be worried about limited and (essentially) numbered stock of the 2TB version? Or will more be made? I haven't really followed tbh.

grizzelye

Hi, so I thought I was having audio cutout/freezes/pauses specifically because of track switching on UHD bluray playback. But this is happening when I'm playing games.

It happens occasionally not every 10 mins or lower.

I know it's not the TV, as using the Netflix app on the LG E6, I don't have any pauses in audio.

Wondering if it's a hardware issue with the Xbox One Audio?

Audio is crystal clear, no issues there.

I put my Kinect w/ adapter on ebay... I can't find out how to use this thing with my PC (audio works with Cortana but the video doesn't work with Skype). I guess there isn't much reason to hook it up to a PC, and there isn't any info of it even being supported with any new games like FH3 (and if it does support ANNA on the Xbox, will it also support it on PC)?

Either way this is yet another accesory I don't really need/never really wanted, so if I can unload it for $100 with the adapter I'll be happy/ I'd probably keep it if the adapter didn't require external power but I don't have a plug for it and I really don't even wanna bother with the extra clutter.

WadeitOut

Honestly I don't trust xbox one wireless controllers any more, I had disconnects for a good year on my launch unit before I gave up and played console games with a 2m cable attached.

I nor any of my friends have had these disconnect issues with the Xbox One at any point in time.

Are you guys verifying you don't have a bunch of 5Ghz interference?

Guys, I am thinking of upgrading mine to an S .... any console-hardware specific problems so far???

Thanks

It's a hardware release. There are always going to be hardware specific problems being talked about on internet communities. There doesn't appear to be any sort QC issue with the console. You just aren't going to see the 99.5% of people post about how they aren't having issues.

JayBabay

I just bought the controller for PC use after my Dualshock 4 stopped working. It was convenient before since I have my PS4 and don't want too many controllers around but I didn't have a choice anymore. I actually really like the feel of Xbox controllers and this one is a good improvement with the textured back, similar to the Dualshock 4. The only thing is I noticed the piece where the Xbox button is used to look ceramic and more premium but now it's just the same material as the rest of the controller. Bluetooth is a huge bonus though!

RoKKeR

Just grabbed a One S, so happy to have downsized from the huge black box.

What is some good 4K content I could test out without having a 4K DVD? Only have access to a 4K TV for a few days, want to test it out.

Bubba77

So Im buying a 4k tv this weekend. I dont have anywhere else to put my Sony 1080p 55inch. Questions is, whats the best way to sell a TV like that? Ebay is a no can do because Im not shipping it. Pawn shop or something?

Top Bottom