• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

SOR5

Master Chief can't help but to lay on my Xbox One S like this.

6ZkzvAZ.jpg

So sexy.

Ohohoooooo nice

Caayn

Just got my free Kinect adapter, ordered it Monday.

The free adapter is exactly the same adapter as the PC version, there's not even a mention of the Xbox One S in any of the manuals that come with it. Guessing that they're using unsold PC adapters for this promo instead of using the XB1S branded ones.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Just a few more days now hnnnnnnggggg!

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Modern Warfare: Remastered, Gears of War 4, Bioshock Collection, Mafia III, FIFA 17, sexy S model... all of them this holiday. Feels just like old times on Xbox 360.

Xenoflare

Anyone's controller's left stick has a "knock" to it? I swear it's not in my head but sometimes I can feel the rotation is not smooth LOLOLOL

It's not as solid as I thought but I love the ergonomics and look so much

Xenoflare

Also, anyone has the play and charge kit with their One S?

The controller is charging on the indicator on the screen but the LED light is not lighting up

jesus lol why I hate these small but annoying problems

SOR5

Albert Penello interview I'm waiting on from Inner Circle podcast, will write up a thread if it's got any breaking news

So Im buying a 4k tv this weekend. I dont have anywhere else to put my Sony 1080p 55inch. Questions is, whats the best way to sell a TV like that? Ebay is a no can do because Im not shipping it. Pawn shop or something?
Craigslist I've found is the beat way to sell big stuff you don't want to ship (furniture, bikes, etc.). I'd think this would be your best bet. Someone will come pick it up themselves, and you'll get more money than donating it or selling back to a store.

I picked up an S last week and the fan on mine has an annoyingly loud ticking noise, both when playing games and idle. When you play games you can't hear it much, but when the room is quiet its very noticeable from the couch.

I'm debating requesting a replacement and starting a thread here to see if many others have been experiencing this as well. There is a reddit thread about this issue. My fan sounds like the two examples at the top of the thread. I've been building PCs since the 90s and to me this sound means its either a really poor quality fan or a defective fan in my S.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/com..._noise_normal/

My S also came with a significant scratch from the factory on the top left corner near the Xbox logo and some black stuff stuck on top of it as well. My Day One edition, which has had heavy use since I bought it is quieter than my S. Not what I was expecting to get for $500 CAD. :(

Just got home with my S and can't get it to work with my tv. I got checkmarks for everything except for the 4K at 50hz option.

I have a Vizio P series. Anyone know how to fix this? Super annoyed, what would I even ever be playing or viewing at 50 hz anyway?

Edit: Ugh, if I go into advanced video setting not only is the "Allow 50hz" box unchecked, the system won't even allow me to check it. So I can't change resolution to 4K because my tv doesn't support 50hz, and I also can't set the Xbox to display in 50hz anyway. I can't use the feature I bought this thing for because my tv doesn't support another feature that I'm not allowed to use anyway.

Can't find anything on Google. If I can't resolve this by tomorrow this things going back and I'll just get a dedicated BluRay player.

Bessy67

Just got home with my S and can't get it to work with my tv. I got checkmarks for everything except for the 4K at 50hz option.

I have a Vizio P series. Anyone know how to fix this? Super annoyed, what would I even ever be playing or viewing at 50 hz anyway?

Edit: Ugh, if I go into advanced video setting not only is the "Allow 50hz" box unchecked, the system won't even allow me to check it. So I can't change resolution to 4K because my tv doesn't support 50hz, and I also can't set the Xbox to display in 50hz anyway. I can't use the feature I bought this thing for because my tv doesn't support another feature that I'm not allowed to use anyway.

Can't find anything on Google. If I can't resolve this by tomorrow this things going back and I'll just get a dedicated BluRay player.
Pretty sure 50Hz only matters if you're in a PAL territory. If you're in the US that one shouldn't be checked.

Pretty sure 50Hz only matters if you're in a PAL territory. If you're in the US that one shouldn't be checked.

Well, I'm in the US, and it's preventing me from setting the resolution to 4K.

Edit: Messed around with some setting to see if I could get it to work and now I can't even select 4k as an option. Before I could select 720p, 1080p, and 4K, and selecting 4K would give me the "Your TV doesn't support 50hz at 4K" error. Now 4K isn't even an option and if I try to enable 4K in advanced setting I'm told that my TV doesn't support that resolution.

What a joke.

Bubba77

Well, I'm in the US, and it's preventing me from setting the resolution to 4K.

Edit: Messed around with some setting to see if I could get it to work and now I can't even select 4k as an option. Before I could select 720p, 1080p, and 4K, and selecting 4K would give me the "Your TV doesn't support 50hz at 4K" error. Now 4K isn't even an option and if I try to enable 4K in advanced setting I'm told that my TV doesn't support that resolution.

What a joke.

I had an S since launch but just got my 4k tv today. Mine also didnt work for many settings until I went into my TV and changed a bunch of stuff. Once I put it in game mode I got check marks across the board including hdr.
I have a new samsung btw if that matters.

I had an S since launch but just got my 4k tv today. Mine also didnt work for many settings until I went into my TV and changed a bunch of stuff. Once I put it in game mode I got check marks across the board including hdr.
I have a new samsung btw if that matters.

I got a check for everything but the 50hz thing.

Chatting with customer support now, I'm basically talking in circles with the rep because they refuse to believe my TV is 4K.

Edit: customer service persons asks if I have another HDMI cables I can try. I say "I've already tried 3, all of which are 4K compatible."

I'm typing "But I don't think the cable is the issue since everything checked out besides the 50hz option" when the rep says "how about another tv?"

Wow, why didn't I think to try the other 4K tv I have lying around.

Edit: Still talking in circles with support. They're saying I need to contact my tv manufacturer so they can give me an update that will allow my tv to run in 50hz.

If anyone is planning to get the 500GB version, then Best Buy has the best deal. If you preorder on Sunday/Monday or purchase any other day during their weekly ad you can get the Limited Edition Halo 5 Controller for an extra $10.

$50 off if you buy an Xbox One S 500GB on same transaction and an extra $10 off for their weekly deal.
$70 - $50 - $10 = $10

WadeitOut

I got a check for everything but the 50hz thing.

Chatting with customer support now, I'm basically talking in circles with the rep because they refuse to believe my TV is 4K.

Edit: customer service persons asks if I have another HDMI cables I can try. I say "I've already tried 3, all of which are 4K compatible."

I'm typing "But I don't think the cable is the issue since everything checked out besides the 50hz option" when the rep says "how about another tv?"

Wow, why didn't I think to try the other 4K tv I have lying around.

Edit: Still talking in circles with support. They're saying I need to contact my tv manufacturer so they can give me an update that will allow my tv to run in 50hz.

As someone who works with software support I feel for them. Because the issue is almost certainly with the TV. Which they have nothing to do with.

As someone who works with software support I feel for them. Because the issue is almost certainly with the TV. Which they have nothing to do with.
I wouldn't feel too bad for them, they weren't helpful at all. One kept trying to convince me that if I called Vizio they would send me a firmware update that would allow me to enable a 50hz mode that would solve everything. The next had me completely reset the system and boot it in some weird mode you get by holding power and the eject button while turning it on, that ended up causing a bunch of problems we had to fix.

Eventually figured it out on my own, it was the HDMI cable. I have three cables connected to my TV, two are identical and the third is a different brand. I could swear I made sure they were all 4K compatible when I got them but apparently they're not the right spec. The cable that comes with the system resolve everything. It's really annoying because I have the cables run through my wall so they're out of sight, now I'm going to have to reopen the wall and swap in cables that actually are 4K compatible. But at least it's working now.

I'm getting a new annoying issue where BluRays stutter really badly every once in awhile. It looks like a game struggling with framerate and usually lasts for 15 seconds or so. The picture is ridiculous though, The Revenant in HDR looks insane.

Happy with the S now. Can't wait to blow through the stack of 4K BluRays I bought over the weekend.

SaganIsGOAT

Was gonna do the photo shoot of my Xbox one S next to my destiny PS4 but right upon unboxing my Xbox I was made a $350 dollar offer for the PS4. So no photoshoot, but now I got that Neo money 💰 . Might still do a solo photoshoot of the Xbox

I wouldn't feel too bad for them, they weren't helpful at all. One kept trying to convince me that if I called Vizio they would send me a firmware update that would allow me to enable a 50hz mode that would solve everything. The next had me completely reset the system and boot it in some weird mode you get by holding power and the eject button while turning it on, that ended up causing a bunch of problems we had to fix.

Eventually figured it out on my own, it was the HDMI cable. I have three cables connected to my TV, two are identical and the third is a different brand. I could swear I made sure they were all 4K compatible when I got them but apparently they're not the right spec. The cable that comes with the system resolve everything. It's really annoying because I have the cables run through my wall so they're out of sight, now I'm going to have to reopen the wall and swap in cables that actually are 4K compatible. But at least it's working now.

I'm getting a new annoying issue where BluRays stutter really badly every once in awhile. It looks like a game struggling with framerate and usually lasts for 15 seconds or so. The picture is ridiculous though, The Revenant in HDR looks insane.

Happy with the S now. Can't wait to blow through the stack of 4K BluRays I bought over the weekend.
Uh, they were right. I've worked in customer service and this kind of shit happens all the time. Believe it or not, sometimes it can be a stupid detail you looked over.

so they were helpful. they did say check ur cables. just saying

But they did help you. They asked you to try another HDMI.
I did though. Briefly mentioning the proper fix doesn't forgive the hour and a half I spent trying other fixes, waiting on hold, and listening to nonsense about needing an update to alter my TVs refresh rate.

Granted, I did feel like a moron when I realized what the issue was. But if I relied solely on support I never would have got there, even though they mentioned the correct fix in passing. If they'd said "Ok, you've tried multiple cables, do you know their specifications?" I'd agree they did their job, or even if they'd asked if I'd specifically used the cable bundled with the system. But yeah, a broken clock being right twice a day doesn't make for helpful customer service.

gamz

I did though. Briefly mentioning the proper fix doesn't forgive the hour and a half I spent trying other fixes, waiting on hold, and listening to nonsense about needing an update to alter my TVs refresh rate.

Granted, I did feel like a moron when I realized what the issue was. But if I relied solely on support I never would have got there, even though they mentioned the correct fix in passing. If they'd said "Ok, you've tried multiple cables, do you know their specifications?" I'd agree they did their job, or even if they'd asked if I'd specifically used the cable bundled with the system. But yeah, a broken clock being right twice a day doesn't make for helpful customer service.

Come on. It's a stupid mistake by you. Support is sometimes impossible - It's a thankless job.

WadeitOut

The fact that they even attempted to continue to help you after exhausting all possibilities with the hardware they actually support is more than I ever would have done.

It reminds me of when a client was asking us how to make this JAWS visual impairment software work with our software. And getting mad when we said we couldn't help them. How the hell would we know?

Xenoflare

Question about the play and charge kit.

When it's charging, does the indicator on screen tells you how far the battery has been charged? Or is only has a indicator telling you it's charging but doesn't tell you that?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

That sounds like helpful customer service to me.
They told you to try a different cable.

They are trying to diagnose hardware beyond the scope of their product.

Akoi

what are the exact dimensions of this device? I can't find a real reliable source, can someone help me out that owns one?

Top Bottom