• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

gamz

what are the exact dimensions of this device? I can't find a real reliable source, can someone help me out that owns one?

xbox-one-s-size.jpg

v0yce

Didn't see any mention of this. One of the designers of the S updated his blog with a bit of info and some great pics.

I've been following the guy for a long time. He has a great blog with thoughts on design and product reviews. He's a big braun and apple fan (like most designers) and got some buzz for a MS rebrand he did in school...

and eventually announced that he took a job with MS and the Xbox brand. As someone who likes the Xbox platform but has never been a fan of their design language I got pretty excited to see if he would have any influence. As soon as I saw the XB1S I was pretty sure he was involved.

Can't wait to see what scorpio looks like.

http://www.minimallyminimal.com/

etta

my hard graphic balls
As long as it's not fucking white. Yuck

If the device has a simplistic, modern, and sexy design, a white color always makes it better.
Apple devices and now thankfully Microsoft ones will have sexy designs.

Come on. It's a stupid mistake by you. Support is sometimes impossible - It's a thankless job.

I thought I was owning up when I said I felt like a moron. I agree, it was a dumb mistake. I still think an expert should know to ask what type of HDMI cable is being used, particularly when there's competing standards and a lot of people are likely using old cables. Something as simple as "You're not using the same cable you used with your old Xbox, are you?" would have solved everything instantly, and doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to ask when using old cables has never been an issue before the S. The initial release of the HD systems is sort of an exception I guess, but it's not like if you used component cables for an original Xbox there was a new standard of component cables you needed to have a 360 output at 720p.

The fact that they even attempted to continue to help you after exhausting all possibilities with the hardware they actually support is more than I ever would have done.

It reminds me of when a client was asking us how to make this JAWS visual impairment software work with our software. And getting mad when we said we couldn't help them. How the hell would we know?

That's what annoyed me actually, they refused to simply say they didn't know. Wasting my time trying to convince me of things that flat-out aren't true, or having me go through steps that I'm pretty sure they had a good idea weren't going to resolve the issue, isn't helpful. Just say "We're sorry, we don't know, let us do some research and get back to you" or something like that.

The only time I got legitimately mad as opposed to annoyed at the situation was when the first rep I talk to kept trying to convince me that my TV needed a firmware update so that it'd run at 50hz.

Anyway, I agree with everyone that it was stupid on my part and I love the system now. Looks great and mine doesn't have the fan noise issues I've read about.

RoKKeR

Awesome to learn that guy is now on the Xbox team, this console is wonderful looking. Sleek, sharp, modern... Hoping the Scorpio takes similar cues.

Seriously, the sharp/clean edges are so damn cool.

Wow, it looks pretty slick standing vertically. I forgot how much I liked the original 360 in that orientation.

I'm sort of tempted to do it but I think it'll look stupid since the Wii U and PS4 will still be horizontal.

Love the white as well, maybe they won't want it to look like they're copying the S's aesthetics but it'd be great if Neo comes in white. Awesome looking system overall, probably my favorite console to date based on appearance.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Wow, it looks pretty slick standing vertically. I forgot how much I liked the original 360 in that orientation.

I'm sort of tempted to do it but I think it'll look stupid since the Wii U and PS4 will still be horizontal.

Love the white as well, maybe they won't want it to look like they're copying the S's aesthetics but it'd be great if Neo comes in white. Awesome looking system overall, probably my favorite console to date based on appearance.
The Xbox One S was designed in white as a sort of minor rebranding, to get away from the original black Xbox One. The white and the default vertical stance was leveraged to remind people of the launch Xbox 360 as well, they wanted to use that nostalgia.
The PS4 doesn't need to rebrand, I assume they will keep the default color black. I do however wish it came in white as well, otherwise I will try to wait for a white bundle.

WadeitOut

Should I buy one or wait for Scorpio?

Pretty sure there is a thread with this as the exact title you can probably get some responses from.

But never ask questions like this to people who have zero knowledge of your financial situation. I personally bought it and will just sell it for like $270 when the Scorpio comes out and put that money towards it.

Pretty sure there is a thread with this as the exact title you can probably get some responses from.

But never ask questions like this to people who have zero knowledge of your financial situation. I personally bought it and will just sell it for like $270 when the Scorpio comes out and put that money towards it.

I figured people that already have it in this thread could do a better job selling me on it.

The Xbox One S was designed in white as a sort of minor rebranding, to get away from the original black Xbox One. The white and the default vertical stance was leveraged to remind people of the launch Xbox 360 as well, they wanted to use that nostalgia.
The PS4 doesn't need to rebrand, I assume they will keep the default color black. I do however wish it came in white as well, otherwise I will try to wait for a white bundle.

You can buy white and black versions of all three consoles you mentioned. You don't need a rebranding to justify offering a white console.

Should I buy one or wait for Scorpio?

Do you have an HDR TV? That's why I got one, it's about the same price (or even cheaper if you get the 500GB or 1TB versions) as a standalone 4K BluRay player and I get a nice looking Xbox as well.

If you don't have an HDR TV, I'm not sure why you'd get one. Having a nicer looking system under your TV for a year and a half (or whatever) doesn't seem worth it to me.

Even if you have a 4K TV that doesn't have HDR it seems like a waste to me unless you think it's worth the few hundred bucks solely for looks.

Lima

Here speak it with me. White electronics look like shit. Case in point the Xbox One S.

At least offer a black option. Oh and please matte. Fuck that glossy shit.

Iacobellis

Didn't see any mention of this. One of the designers of the S updated his blog with a bit of info and some great pics.

I've been following the guy for a long time. He has a great blog with thoughts on design and product reviews. He's a big braun and apple fan (like most designers) and got some buzz for a MS rebrand he did in school...

and eventually announced that he took a job with MS and the Xbox brand. As someone who likes the Xbox platform but has never been a fan of their design language I got pretty excited to see if he would have any influence. As soon as I saw the XB1S I was pretty sure he was involved.

Can't wait to see what scorpio looks like.

http://www.minimallyminimal.com/

I've been closely following his work since he did the Microsoft rebranding idea a little while ago. He could very well be our next Jony Ive in a way.

You can buy white and black versions of all three consoles you mentioned. You don't need a rebranding to justify offering a white console.

Do you have an HDR TV? That's why I got one, it's about the same price (or even cheaper if you get the 500GB or 1TB versions) as a standalone 4K BluRay player and I get a nice looking Xbox as well.

If you don't have an HDR TV, I'm not sure why you'd get one. Having a nicer looking system under your TV for a year and a half (or whatever) doesn't seem worth it to me.

Even if you have a 4K TV that doesn't have HDR it seems like a waste to me unless you think it's worth the few hundred bucks solely for looks.

So this is only for 4k TVs?

etta

my hard graphic balls
No, that's not how branding works. You can offer alternative colours, but you base model, your default colour, that's part of the brand. The Xbox One now has the white console, the PS4 has black as the base model.
Here speak it with me. White electronics look like shit. Case in point the Xbox One S.

At least offer a black option. Oh and please matte. Fuck that glossy shit.
Nah.

So this is only for 4k TVs?

The biggest difference between this and the original One (besides the obvious physical differences) is that it can play 4K BluRays and can do HDR in movies and games.

Other people may feel differently but IMO HDR is huge improvement in image quality and is way, way more noticeable than the resolution bump from 1080p to 4K.

But I guess I wouldn't say it's only for 4K TVs, you can still use it on a 1080p TV. You just won't be able to take advantage of the system's new features.

As I was typing this I remembered that some games get a minor performance boost from the S and you'll still be able to take advantage of that on a 1080p TV, but the improvements again don't seem worth the few hundred bucks to me.

No, that's not how branding works. You can offer alternative colours, but you base model, your default colour, that's part of the brand. The Xbox One now has the white console, the PS4 has black as the base model.

OK, all I said was I'd like a white Neo.

Still conflicted on if I want to wait for the Gears console or just get the $299 one on Tuesday. I'm getting Gears 4 anyways but for some reason, I'm not too fond of spending $450 around that time lol. Can't decide.

Weevilone

I'm trying to move games and stuff that I had on an external USB drive for my old X-Bone, to the new S-Bone. When I try to view contents of the external drive for the purposes of moving stuff over, it says it needs to download something from the store to do that. It takes me to the store where it doesn't find what it's looking for.

Am I just stupid?

Edit: Weird.. I had to force the S-Bone to hard power cycle and reboot. Sleep wouldn't get it done, so something was bugged. I'd go to Settings - System - Storage, then choose my drive and say "View Contents" and it would say it needed to download from the store... go there and find nothing.. every time.

But anyways, fixed by power cycle.

charpunk

Had anyone else had an issue with the wifi using instant on? Whenever I turn on the xbox, the wifi gets severely limited to under 100Kbps. Resetting the xbox fixes the issue each time. If I keep instant on off, I have zero issue after turning on the xbox.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Still conflicted on if I want to wait for the Gears console or just get the $299 one on Tuesday. I'm getting Gears 4 anyways but for some reason, I'm not too fond of spending $450 around that time lol. Can't decide.
Simplified to two factors: the weight of the price difference and financial impact, white vanilla colour v. custom Gears of War design.

Bessy67

I considered it too, but that design is just hideous to me. If it had just been plain white (or better yet, black) I would have gone for that bundle but that just doesn't look good. I really wish they had done a forza horizon themed console though. The Forza 6 console was really good looking.

psychotron

Overall impressions of the new controller vs the lunar????

Feels really nice. The grips are minimal but add a nice touch. The only issue I'm having is that on two separate controllers from different stores, the right trigger feels a bit sticky. If you put your ear next to it you can hear some type of adhesive separating when you press it. I'm hoping it'll fade over time.

Feels really nice. The grips are minimal but add a nice touch. The only issue I'm having is that on two separate controllers from different stores, the right trigger feels a bit sticky. If you put your ear next to it you can hear some type of adhesive separating when you press it. I'm hoping it'll fade over time.

Have you tried the lunar grips? They are a bit rubberized. Is that how they feel with the new one?

MrBenchmark

Have you tried the lunar grips? They are a bit rubberized. Is that how they feel with the new one?

No they don't. But the new controller does feel a little better in the sticks dpad and rb lb. Take it from someone who has had to repair several of these controllers. I have a broken Lunar one here dpad crapped out several others same issue. and the older controllers RB and LB and easy to break.

Norse

The OG Xbone and PS4 look much better in white.

IMO ps4 looks better in white but original xbone didn't. The new xbone S looks very nice though. So nice that I pulled the trigger tonight at the local Target and picked 1 up. They had 1 left after my purchase. Baxter, MN if you can get there before 11pm you might just be able to grab it.

No they don't. But the new controller does feel a little better in the sticks dpad and rb lb. Take it from someone who has had to repair several of these controllers. I have a broken Lunar one here dpad crapped out several others same issue. and the older controllers RB and LB and easy to break.

Okay awesome. Look forward to my delivery come Tuesday :))

When I reset my first one to factory defaults, let it load the starting screen and then turned it off, I got a strange error I'd never seen before. It's not the first time I've done that (I just did it earlier this month with my black behemoth.)

So, I'm glad I returned it. They didn't have a problem with it at all and never really checked anything since they know I don't lie or won't screw them over. The new one never got sliced open, but I'm not going to sell it or do anything shady.

It took me over an hour to set the first one up, because my OCD has gotten so damned bad. So I may see if an understanding friend will set it up for me so that I don't have to touch the system. I get so nervous, my hands get clammy, I worry about scratches or fingerprints -- useless worries that I can't help and don't go away. I was so nervous I was dripping with sweat and kept taking breaks. I never used to be like this.

Hopefully this new one is perfect. I haven't opened it yet, and it's sitting in a big in my dining room. I went to that friend's last night, and this is how bad my OCD is:

We were sitting outside having a drink and talking. The air was humid with a bit of a wet chill to it, so I couldn't stop thinking about how the windows were open here and "What if some moisture gets in the box?" I couldn't stop thinking about it and ended up leaving not too long after, to close the windows and put the air con on/check it. But I mean, I generally know it's fine, but can't tell my brain to shut up about it. Even now. It's in a box, covered with that paper, and the box is in a bag.

I had been tired all day, though, and had only gotten an hour of sleep when I'd tried, so it was pretty much time to go home anyways.

etta

my hard graphic balls
When I reset my first one to factory defaults, let it load the starting screen and then turned it off, I got a strange error I'd never seen before. It's not the first time I've done that (I just did it earlier this month with my black behemoth.)

So, I'm glad I returned it. They didn't have a problem with it at all and never really checked anything since they know I don't lie or won't screw them over. The new one never got sliced open, but I'm not going to sell it or do anything shady.

It took me over an hour to set the first one up, because my OCD has gotten so damned bad. So I may see if an understanding friend will set it up for me so that I don't have to touch the system. I get so nervous, my hands get clammy, I worry about scratches or fingerprints -- useless worries that I can't help and don't go away. I was so nervous I was dripping with sweat and kept taking breaks. I never used to be like this.

Hopefully this new one is perfect. I haven't opened it yet, and it's sitting in a big in my dining room. I went to that friend's last night, and this is how bad my OCD is:

We were sitting outside having a drink and talking. The air was humid with a bit of a wet chill to it, so I couldn't stop thinking about how the windows were open here and "What if some moisture gets in the box?" I couldn't stop thinking about it and ended up leaving not too long after, to close the windows and put the air con on/check it. But I mean, I generally know it's fine, but can't tell my brain to shut up about it. Even now. It's in a box, covered with that paper, and the box is in a bag.

I had been tired all day, though, and had only gotten an hour of sleep when I'd tried, so it was pretty much time to go home anyways.

Damn, that sounds horrible. Have you tried any prescriptions for the for the OCD? Zoloft or the like?

Damn, that sounds horrible. Have you tried any prescriptions for the for the OCD? Zoloft or the like?

Yeah, it was. It's been hard setting up new consoles before, but not that hard. I was worried I'd dripped nervous sweat on it, and couldn't get the cords in easily probably because I was barely touching it. So I worried that I had scratched the outside of the ports.

I've tried multiple meds (Elavil, Anafranil, Prozac, Trintellix and more). I'm currently giving generic Prozac a second shot, and have been on it for about a month.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Traded in my Xbox One 500GB and Kinect for the 500GB model! Got $240 in credit from GameStop!

Meaning that I will be getting a 4K bluray player for $60!

bdiddy6

Neo Member
poFL9zS.jpg

Traded in my Day One, with the 5 games @ $8 deal, and got the 1S for just over $152 CDN plus tax. Also bit the bullet on the PS4 so the girlfriend and I can play through Uncharted franchise, Until Dawn, etc.

freefornow

what are the exact dimensions of this device? I can't find a real reliable source, can someone help me out that owns one?
Metric here. Mine is standing upright on its stand.

From base of stand the height is 310mm
The depth of the console is 230mm
The "thickness" is 63mm (not including the little nubs that it would sit on if horizontal)

or if the console is horizontal with no stand:

Height from resting surface 65mm
Width 295mm
Depth 230mm

Edit:
For comparison my PS4 positioned horizontally is:

Height from surface 55mm
Width 275mm
Depth 305mm

Edit 2 (since I've got the tape measure out)
XB1

Height 80mm
Width 333mm
Depth 275mm

WadeitOut

Beyond more colors, HDR has better support for near-black and is brighter overall for brighter scenes and especially brighter specular highlights.

As such, it's not just more color, but brighter images in general, brighter highlights (explosions etc), and better near-black detail.

Someone else already mentioned the HDR10 vs Dolby Vision thing.

Off topic but Sunset Overdrive is one of my favorite games of all time and I loved all of the involvement you guys had with fans leading up to launch.

Thank you sir!

I considered it too, but that design is just hideous to me. If it had just been plain white (or better yet, black) I would have gone for that bundle but that just doesn't look good. I really wish they had done a forza horizon themed console though. The Forza 6 console was really good looking.

Yeah I think that might be it. That design really doesn't appeal to me. I think I'll just go with the $299 version. Besides, it comes with Halo 5 so I might just finally check that out.

SOR5

Yeah, it was. It's been hard setting up new consoles before, but not that hard. I was worried I'd dripped nervous sweat on it, and couldn't get the cords in easily probably because I was barely touching it. So I worried that I had scratched the outside of the ports.

I've tried multiple meds (Elavil, Anafranil, Prozac, Trintellix and more). I'm currently giving generic Prozac a second shot, and have been on it for about a month.

Good luck with fighting this anxiety my friend, you've got my confidence that you can do this

etta

my hard graphic balls
One and a half more days men!
I've been trying to put a blanket on the excitement for the past month, but it's so close now I can almost smell that fantastic plastic odour that comes with unboxing fresh new consoles.

rokkerkory

One and a half more days men!
I've been trying to put a blanket on the excitement for the past month, but it's so close now I can almost smell that fantastic plastic odour that comes with unboxing fresh new consoles.

Yep, excited here too. Will cop the Halo 500 gb bundle.

Top Bottom