• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

gamz

So I'm selling my Xbone tomorrow to put towards a 1TB One S. Can I just wipe the entire hard drive on the old console, sign in on my new console and have access to all my games and saves? Or is the process more complex?

Yep. But I put all your games on a external so you don't have to redownload all the games.

Norse

So I'm selling my Xbone tomorrow to put towards a 1TB One S. Can I just wipe the entire hard drive on the old console, sign in on my new console and have access to all my games and saves? Or is the process more complex?

Be sure to remove it as your "home" console before you reset it.

RedRum

Banned
On a two week business trip. Won't be able to pick up my S until I get back unfortunately. Can't wait. It should compliment the 4K TV I just purchased as well.

Get my S tomorrow - can't wait. Don't have any 4K or HDR capability (running on a projector), but needed a second one for my Theater room and the timing was perfect.

^ did you manually set your new Xbone as your home Xbox? If not whoever bought your old Xbox can download and play your games and that could be what's blocking you from starting it..

Started working tonight, which was a pleasant surprise. I still have my old xbox in my room right now so nobody could've done anything. Either MS support did their magic or it suddenly became available after 24hrs.

Also, Not sure about others but I love the feel of the new one s controller when playing overwatch & madden..

Another thing that I'm noticing is that the UI feels much more snappier and responsive than the original Xbox One. Most of all, they system is quiet while playing games. The original Xbox was pretty quiet but nothing as bad as the PS4.

I'm in need of replacing my audio receiver, but can't seem to find a good answer. It says it supports via pass-thru 4K content with HDCP 2.2 support. It also mentions supporting HDR, Wide Color Gamut compatibility, and support of the BT.2020 4K spec. I don't currently own a 4K HDR TV but want to ensure when I replace my DLP set, that my receiver won't pose an issue.

What do I need to look for to ensure that my audio receiver will properly pass 4K HDR content to the TV from the Xbox One S?

Currently have my eye on the Denon AVR-X1200W receiver.

It will work fine, I have the Denon 2200W and it works perfectly.

RoKKeR

Hey guys, quick question/concern. My One S (2TB model) is making a subtle clicking/ticking noise... starts up right when I turn it on. It's not terribly loud, but it's noticeable, especially coming from the silent OG model.

Here are some examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivs9miYNhjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_2GsvxVF2k

Anybody else experiencing the same thing? Should this be a cause for concern? Is this just the fan noise? Basically, it doesn't run silent on idle.

I just transported my life across the country, and checked my One S in a bag full of clothes. Maybe this is what fucked it up? I honestly can't remember what it was like before I left because I only had it for a few days.

ClearData

Does the Xbox One S support 1440P resolutions? I am planning to do most of my gaming on a 3440x1440p monitor I am thinking about purchasing and i was wondering if consoles would look fine on it over HDMI. (I'll have my PC hooked up on the displayport port.)

But if that is a no go I am considering just going with a full 4K monitor for guaranteed compatibility.

Xbudz

Looks like they changed the wording on the 4K details screen.

khVLJaE.jpg

At least it doesn't say "You can't play games in 4K" anymore.

farisr

I am really surprised how many people use the system for streaming... do your TVs not already have apps that support 4k?
I'm not surprised at all. Unless you have an uber expensive TV or something, usually the console apps run smoother and are easier to navigate. Plus the consoles usually have better network connectivity as well, meaning better quality.

faer0n

Does the Xbox One S support 1440P resolutions? I am planning to do most of my gaming on a 3440x1440p monitor I am thinking about purchasing and i was wondering if consoles would look fine on it over HDMI. (I'll have my PC hooked up on the displayport port.)

But if that is a no go I am considering just going with a full 4K monitor for guaranteed compatibility.

The Picture settings are 720p, 1080p and 2160p, no 1440p

MCD

Something weird happened today. I started The Division and my Xbox One S turned off unexpectedly.

Who should I blame? MS? The console? Ubi? Lol

I am really surprised how many people use the system for streaming... do your TVs not already have apps that support 4k?

It seems like either TV manufacturers or app developers are extremely slow with updating stuff on TVs. That's why I've mainly used either my Xbox or PS4 over my smart TV.

WadeitOut

I have a newer Samsung and the on tv apps are still way slower than using a dedicated player. And fast forwarding/rewinding is a nightmare.

Anyone have any weird experiences with BluRays? I tried to watch Life of Pi and it looks horrible, like the brightness is up way too high. Changing the backlight setting seemingly changes the brightness and contrast as well.

Every other HDR thing I've played, streaming or on disc, hasn't required any calibration, which I understand is supposed to be how it's intended to work.

It seems like either TV manufacturers or app developers are extremely slow with updating stuff on TVs. That's why I've mainly used either my Xbox or PS4 over my smart TV.

I have one of Vizio's current sets and I'd rather control my Xbox with my universal remote than mess around with the tablet they give you.

Anyone have any weird experiences with BluRays? I tried to watch Life of Pi and it looks horrible, like the brightness is up way too high. Changing the backlight setting seemingly changes the brightness and contrast as well.

Every other HDR thing I've played, streaming or on disc, hasn't required any calibration, which I understand is supposed to be how it's intended to work.

I have one of Vizio's current sets and I'd rather control my Xbox with my universal remote than mess around with the tablet they give you.

I believe with most HDR capable TVs that aren't OLED the back light and contrast goes up to the max. At least that's how it is with my TV. I have the Samsung JS8500 and won't be able to try a 4K Blu-ray until Amazon sends me the Revenant on Wednesday.

Secondly I would have to agree with you on not wanting to use the tablet

Hitta93

Banned
Kind of off topic, but think this is the best thread to ask:

Is it possible to share games with my brother with my Xbox One while at the same time, having a friend set his account on my Xbox as his home console?

Thinking of the best solution to get Madden 17 for cheap.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Kind of off topic, but think this is the best thread to ask:

Is it possible to share games with my brother with my Xbox One while at the same time, having a friend set his account on my Xbox as his home console?

Thinking of the best solution to get Madden 17 for cheap.
There can be only one home console designation per Microsoft account. One of you is gonna get the short end of the stick.

Is GameStop or anyone still offering a good trade in for the XB1 fatty 500GB?

Sitting on the fence.. I like my Halo CE XB1 in the living room.. but 4K goodness sounds enticing..

But then again imagine the deals during the holidays.. bleh.

Smokey

Really pleased with the look of the system. I don't have a 4K TV at the moment, so I can't test out those features, but the system was worth it alone for the footprint reduction. Controller feels about the same to me, but the grip on the back is not as pronounced as it is on the Lunar White controller. I was taken back a bit. It's there, but it's not as sticky as it should be imo.

29093306831_6fb9debae2_b.jpg

The fact that I can now get both of these on my desk with room to breathe is great.

Really pleased with the look of the system. I don't have a 4K TV at the moment, so I can't test out those features, but the system was worth it alone for the footprint reduction. Controller feels about the same to me, but the grip on the back is not as pronounced as it is on the Lunar White controller. I was taken back a bit. It's there, but it's not as sticky as it should be imo.

29093306831_6fb9debae2_b.jpg

The fact that I can now get both of these on my desk with room to breathe is great.

Nice! They look good next to each other!

46N7YHR.jpg

Would anyone please be able to tell me what all of this means? It's a Samsung JU7000... bought it a few months ago and kinda bummed out I didn't do more research on 4K.

Is GameStop or anyone still offering a good trade in for the XB1 fatty 500GB?

Sitting on the fence.. I like my Halo CE XB1 in the living room.. but 4K goodness sounds enticing..

But then again imagine the deals during the holidays.. bleh.

I traded my 500 gb One in yesterday to Gamestop and got 150 for it towards the S.

DirtyLarry

Hey DirtyLarry. This scares me because I have the M series and will be picking my S up tomorrow. I will say that I don't watch live TV through the Xbox. I do have an Amazon fire tv box and get 4k content out of that without a hiccup. I'll post what my results are once I hook mine up tomorrow and test gaming and the Uhd player on it.
Please do. I would love to hear your results.
I also have the issue with my Roku 4 as well.

The issue appears to be way worse whenever the component does native 4k for the UI resolution as well (such as the Roku and One S) and not as bad if the content from the component switches to 4K.

I also have a Fire Stick but it has been awhile since I hooked it up but I do not recall any issue with it.

It could be my imagination but the issue on the One does seem WAY worse when the One Guide / Live TV is enabled.

Also from what I can gather the issue may be a result of the HDMI 5 port on the Vizio only supporting 10Gbps bandwidth and not 18. This comes from other people though who seem to know a lot more about this stuff than myself. So I am wondering if some people have updated HDMI ports and some do not. I had the latest firmware installed, etc. And for me it is not even like it takes a little while to kick in, as soon as I switch the One to 4k UHD it happens almost immediately and keeps happening. With my Roku 4 it was only once about every 20 minutes so I lived with it thinking it was just the Roku 4.

Good Luck. I do no doubt hope you are one of the lucky ones! And I also am real curious to see if it works without the One Guide. There is no rhyme or reason to it but it really seems to happen when it is set up.

Top Bottom