• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Kaydan

Banned
Well that was one long ass month without my console (traded in my original at the end of July to take advantage of a trade in promotion). Can't wait until Tuesday! I might treat myself with another game when I go pick up my S. Any suggestion?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well that was one long ass month without my console (traded in my original at the end of July to take advantage of a trade in promotion). Can't wait until Tuesday! I might treat myself with another game when I go pick up my S. Any suggestion?
Yea I traded mine in on the 29th of July, it's been a long wait. I am really close to deciding if I should pick up Deus Ex: Mankind Divided along with the console on Tuesday. I remember in May or June 2012, a few months after my Xbox 360 broke and I had decided to wait before buying another until after the finals, I went to the store and bought me a slick matte black Xbox 360 S with Max Payne 3 and had a lot of fun with it, a fresh new game on a fresh new console. I had almost no hype for that game pre-release and the same kind of happened with DE: MD, I've only started to think about it for the past few days. But fucking $90 goddamn ugh, when I can just go through my backlog and pick it up for $60 in two weeks on Kijiji.

Overall impressions of the new controller vs the lunar????

So I posted earlier in the thread about moving from a lunar white to the new controller. The bumpers are noticeably less "clicky" than the lunar white, which is really my only complaint.

I thought the bumpers were too mushy the first couple of days, but I think i've broken them in a bit, and they don't bother me as much anymore. For the first few days I couldn't tell if my bumper presses were registering in Destiny b/c I wasn't getting the same tactile feedback that I was used to.
The grips are nowhere near as nice as the lunar white controller, its just some textured plastic.

Overall I like it, just not as much as the lunar white.

Drewfonse

Has anyone played a familiar game on the S, using an HDR TV? Specifically a game that you had already played on the OG One? I'm wondering about the visual wow factor jumping solely from the One to the S on the same HDR TV..

Thanks.

Has anyone played a familiar game on the S, using an HDR TV? Specifically a game that you had already played on the OG One? I'm wondering about the visual wow factor jumping solely from the One to the S on the same HDR TV..

Thanks.

A game needs to be made with HDR support, it's not an automatic feature. All existing games on the OG One and the S would look exactly the same.

rubes7844

Banned
One and a half more days men!
I've been trying to put a blanket on the excitement for the past month, but it's so close now I can almost smell that fantastic plastic odour that comes with unboxing fresh new consoles.

I had the madden bundle preordered and couldn't wait so I just bought the 2TB. I love it.

Lima

Thanks.

The first game will be Forza Horizon 3 at the end of September. You have to wait for impressions until then.

You can buy white and black versions of all three consoles you mentioned. You don't need a rebranding to justify offering a white console.

Do you have an HDR TV? That's why I got one, it's about the same price (or even cheaper if you get the 500GB or 1TB versions) as a standalone 4K BluRay player and I get a nice looking Xbox as well.

If you don't have an HDR TV, I'm not sure why you'd get one. Having a nicer looking system under your TV for a year and a half (or whatever) doesn't seem worth it to me.

Even if you have a 4K TV that doesn't have HDR it seems like a waste to me unless you think it's worth the few hundred bucks solely for looks.

I have a 4k non HDR tv. You dont think it would be worth upgrading for me?

Norse

Got her all setup....love the blaster to control my TV,soundbar,and cable. System is smaller in person. Looks great. And so glad power brick is gone and Kinect too. I only used it to control the a/v stuff.

Bessy67

I mean, if you want a 4k blu-ray player then go for it. HDR seems like it'll be pretty much worthless for gaming for most people anyways since most HDR tv sets introduce ridiculous amounts of input lag when in HDR mode.

bdiddy6

Neo Member
I've noticed compared to my day one console, when I play forza 6 now, with headset wired to the controller, sound is crisp, clear, and doesn't skip or freeze. On my Day 1, regardless of which controller I used (lunar,elite,or regular), audio would skip and jump volumes often.

Anyone else notice anything similar?

Bgamer90

Banned
I've noticed compared to my day one console, when I play forza 6 now, with headset wired to the controller, sound is crisp, clear, and doesn't skip or freeze. On my Day 1, regardless of which controller I used (lunar,elite,or regular), audio would skip and jump volumes often.

Anyone else notice anything similar?

Do you download the controller updates?

Just replaced my Day 1 edition Xbox One with a Xbox One S and man it is nice not having a power brick.

Transfer went smoothly except for one thing, I can't play overwatch now. All my other games play but when I try to start overwatch, I get an error saying that is in use on another xbox. Try signing out & signing back in, still doesn't work.

Error code 0x803f8067 if anyone is familiar with it.

BTW, did chat with MS support and they couldn't fix the issue.

EDIT: and yes I did do a system reset and cleared everything on my old xbox one already.

Sordid

^ did you manually set your new Xbone as your home Xbox? If not whoever bought your old Xbox can download and play your games and that could be what's blocking you from starting it.

Just got my free Kinect adapter in. Was looking forward to it since I've missed voice commands but I didn't expect so much wires! I haven't got a spare mains socket to plug it in so I'm out of luck for now.

Xbudz

Hopefully you do not have a 2015 Vizio M series (I do, and 4K does not work thanks to an issue with the TV).

My 2015 Vizio (M50-c1) Works just fine.
You need to use HDMI port 5 (the yellow one)

All games being upscaled to 2160p, and UHD movies work well.
The set just doesn't support HDR.

Obviously others disagree, but I don't think so, no. Like I said, I bought so I could watch 4K BluRays, and I wouldn't have gotten it for that if it didn't support HDR. I don't feel like I can tell that big a difference between 1080p and 4K movies, but I want everything to be in HDR after watching some movies with that.

Again, you'd basically be paying for the cosmetic upgrades. HDR for movies and games and 4K BluRay support are the big new features. If $300-400 is worth it to you for a smaller system and a slightly different controller then go for it, but I personally don't think it'd be worth it, especially with Scorpio right around the corner.

Obviously others disagree, but I don't think so, no. Like I said, I bought so I could watch 4K BluRays, and I wouldn't have gotten it for that if it didn't support HDR. I don't feel like I can tell that big a difference between 1080p and 4K movies, but I want everything to be in HDR after watching some movies with that.

Again, you'd basically be paying for the cosmetic upgrades. HDR for movies and games and 4K BluRay support are the big new features. If $300-400 is worth it to you for a smaller system and a slightly different controller then go for it, but I personally don't think it'd be worth it, especially with Scorpio right around the corner.

Ok...and Scorpio is projected holiday 2017. That's over a year.

gamz

huh? I don't have a 4K TV yet but I saw my buddies and it's a big difference between the two.

etta

my hard graphic balls
One more sleep 😴!!!
Tomorrow I will run when the store opens and bring back the sexy beast with Deus Ex

1274779903_glen-big-baby-davis-tongue.gif

Ok...and Scorpio is projected holiday 2017. That's over a year.
To me $300+ is a lot for something I already know will be replaced in a year and a half. Seems like a waste at that point. You could sell the S when you get the Scorpio and recoup some of the cost, but it seems like a lot of people have that idea and the value is going to tank if everyone is trying to sell their old systems.

huh? I don't have a 4K TV yet but I saw my buddies and it's a big difference between the two.

Depends on what you're watching, how big the tv is and how close you are, etc.

Sitting about 8' from a 55" TV I'd say it's not a night and day difference, and HDR is a way, way more dramatic improvement.

To me $300+ is a lot for something I already know will be replaced in a year and a half. Seems like a waste at that point. You could sell the S when you get the Scorpio and recoup some of the cost, but it seems like a lot of people have that idea and the value is going to tank if everyone is trying to sell their old systems.

I agree you have to know what you are getting into. Right now if you have a 4k set and have an OG X1 your best bet is to to do a turn around and get what you can for the X1. In my case I'll only be paying $150 for the One S since there is a trade in value on the X1 until the end of the month. I don't think $150 is a bad price for a UHD Blu-ray player but that's just me. And your point with the Scorpio...that system will be considerably priced more I would assume. So there still is a good value in the One S with or without Scorpio.

DirtyLarry

My 2015 Vizio (M50-c1) Works just fine.
You need to use HDMI port 5 (the yellow one)

All games being upscaled to 2160p, and UHD movies work well.
The set just doesn't support HDR.
Yes, I know I need to use Port #5, the only one that supports it, and I also know it does not support HDR.
And let me just state the obvious. So because you are not seeing the issue means I should not be? Really?

You are literally one of the only Vizio owners I am seeing who also owns an S that is not seeing the same blackout issue I am.
I am at work so cannot find them all, but here are two other owners confirming the issue.
hEYb.png

Taken from here...
And another...
iEYb.png

Taken from here...

So either we are all really unlucky, or you are very lucky, but it is an issue that it appears at least a few of us Vizio M65 owners (both 2015 and 2016 model) who also own the S are experiencing. And as I said I will know soon enough because as I posted earlier in the thread, Vizio is sending me a replacement. In fact I just scheduled the shipment earlier this morning. September 1st I will know if I am indeed just unlucky or if you are in fact not lucky. Believe me, I really hope it is the latter, but right now from the research I have done I am saying that is not going to be the case.

Just because you do not see the issue does not mean others are not. So I think it is very fair of me to warn people about the issue, again, especially when others are seeing it.

Just out of curiosity, do you not use the One Guide or Live TV with a cable box with your S? As the issue is much, much worse when I use Live TV itself. It is almost non existent on BluRays. Does happen on games though especially if I was just watching TV. Do you also use your S to Watch TV?

Yeah...I'm not sure what they were watching but I saw 4k Sicario vs 1080p and it was night and day.
In HDR or 4K only?

Obviously we can't objectively decide whether the difference in resolution alone is "night and day." Again though, HDR is a much more drastic difference to me.

And personally if I already had a high-end TV I wouldn't care enough about 4K to buy a new one, whereas HDR alone justifies the cost of my P-series to me.

I agree you have to know what you are getting into. Right now if you have a 4k set and have an OG X1 your best bet is to to do a turn around and get what you can for the X1. In my case I'll only be paying $150 for the One S since there is a trade in value on the X1 until the end of the month. I don't think $150 is a bad price for a UHD Blu-ray player but that's just me. And your point with the Scorpio...that system will be considerably priced more I would assume. So there still is a good value in the One S with or without Scorpio.

Just depends on how you'll use it. If you're going to watch a lot of BluRays, it may be worth it. If you're not and don't have an HDR set, you're paying for cosmetics.

Which is fine. If it's worth it to you it's worth it to you. For me, I already know I'm going to get Scorpio at launch, and I'm not very interested in 4K content outside of HDR. If I didn't have an HDR TV the S would be a waste.

Yes, I know I need to use Port #5, the only one that supports it, and I also know it does not support HDR.
And let me just state the obvious. So because you are not seeing the issue means I should not be? Really?

You are literally one of the only Vizio owners I am seeing who also owns an S that is not seeing the same blackout issue I am.
I am at work so cannot find them all, but here are two other owners confirming the issue.
hEYb.png

Taken from here...
And another...
iEYb.png

Taken from here...

So either we are all really unlucky, or you are very lucky, but it is an issue that it appears at least a few of us Vizio M65 owners (both 2015 and 2016 model) who also own the S are experiencing. And as I said I will know soon enough because as I posted earlier in the thread, Vizio is sending me a replacement. In fact I just scheduled the shipment earlier this morning. September 1st I will know if I am indeed just unlucky or if you are in fact not lucky. Believe me, I really hope it is the latter, but right now from the research I have done I am saying that is not going to be the case.

Just because you do not see the issue does not mean others are not. So I think it is very fair of me to warn people about the issue, again, especially when others are seeing it.

Just out of curiosity, do you not use the One Guide or Live TV with a cable box with your S? As the issue is much, much worse when I use Live TV itself. It is almost non existent on BluRays. Does happen on games though especially if I was just watching TV. Do you also use your S to Watch TV?

Hey DirtyLarry. This scares me because I have the M series and will be picking my S up tomorrow. I will say that I don't watch live TV through the Xbox. I do have an Amazon fire tv box and get 4k content out of that without a hiccup. I'll post what my results are once I hook mine up tomorrow and test gaming and the Uhd player on it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Btw, does anyone know if 4K blurays video look better on a 1080p TV compared to a regular 1080p bluray.

Its a comparison I have been wanting to make.

gamz

In HDR or 4K only?

Obviously we can't objectively decide whether the difference in resolution alone is "night and day." Again though, HDR is a much more drastic difference to me.

And personally if I already had a high-end TV I wouldn't care enough about 4K to buy a new one, whereas HDR alone justifies the cost of my P-series to me.

My buddy doesn't have HDR. It's a 70" Sony. He bought it last year and I thought it was stunning. Even the scaled up stuff was super impressive.

In HDR or 4K only?

Just depends on how you'll use it. If you're going to watch a lot of BluRays, it may be worth it. If you're not and don't have an HDR set, you're paying for cosmetics.

Which is fine. If it's worth it to you it's worth it to you. For me, I already know I'm going to get Scorpio at launch, and I'm not very interested in 4K content outside of HDR. If I didn't have an HDR TV the S would be a waste.

It was plain 4k on a 60" Samsung. This guy was an early 4k adopter and just bought the Samsung uhd player that came out a few months ago. He was so pissed when they announced the S.

I will say HDR looks awesome but to dismiss 4k resolution is blasphemy!

muzzymate

I'm in need of replacing my audio receiver, but can't seem to find a good answer. It says it supports via pass-thru 4K content with HDCP 2.2 support. It also mentions supporting HDR, Wide Color Gamut compatibility, and support of the BT.2020 4K spec. I don't currently own a 4K HDR TV but want to ensure when I replace my DLP set, that my receiver won't pose an issue.

What do I need to look for to ensure that my audio receiver will properly pass 4K HDR content to the TV from the Xbox One S?

Currently have my eye on the Denon AVR-X1200W receiver.

I don't need an Xbox One S.. I have 3 XB1's already..

But Goddamnit if I don't want one, real bad. It'd be perfect with my 4K TV too...

Ugh.

I don't need a Halo or Madden bundle though.. have there been any other 500GB deals being talked about?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I don't need an Xbox One S.. I have 3 XB1's already..

But Goddamnit if I don't want one, real bad. It'd be perfect with my 4K TV too...

Ugh.

I don't need a Halo or Madden bundle though.. have there been any other 500GB deals being talked about?
Can't you just trade one of those three for the S? Well, you'd still have to add on top.
Trade two, then :p

Lima

Happened all the damn time with the old one.

I am hoping bluetooth solves this completely.

Why would it? It is still the same stick module with the same cheap plastic piece that breaks and causes drifting underneath. It's a real shame that they used that on the Elite.

So I'm selling my Xbone tomorrow to put towards a 1TB One S. Can I just wipe the entire hard drive on the old console, sign in on my new console and have access to all my games and saves? Or is the process more complex?

So I'm selling my Xbone tomorrow to put towards a 1TB One S. Can I just wipe the entire hard drive on the old console, sign in on my new console and have access to all my games and saves? Or is the process more complex?

I signed out, unplugged my external, and reset the console. I think that's it.

Top Bottom