• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Please do. I would love to hear your results.
I also have the issue with my Roku 4 as well.

The issue appears to be way worse whenever the component does native 4k for the UI resolution as well (such as the Roku and One S) and not as bad if the content from the component switches to 4K.

I also have a Fire Stick but it has been awhile since I hooked it up but I do not recall any issue with it.

It could be my imagination but the issue on the One does seem WAY worse when the One Guide / Live TV is enabled.

Also from what I can gather the issue may be a result of the HDMI 5 port on the Vizio only supporting 10Gbps bandwidth and not 18. This comes from other people though who seem to know a lot more about this stuff than myself. So I am wondering if some people have updated HDMI ports and some do not. I had the latest firmware installed, etc. And for me it is not even like it takes a little while to kick in, as soon as I switch the One to 4k UHD it happens almost immediately and keeps happening. With my Roku 4 it was only once about every 20 minutes so I lived with it thinking it was just the Roku 4.

Good Luck. I do no doubt hope you are one of the lucky ones! And I also am real curious to see if it works without the One Guide. There is no rhyme or reason to it but it really seems to happen when it is set up.

I used to have hdmi tv in and wonder if the overlay is 1080p. If so do you think the resolution keeps trying to switch from 1080p to 4k. Also does this only happen when the xbox resolution is set to 4k or does it happen on the 1080p setting? I do notice on my amazon fire box that when content is UHD it blacks out for a second and goes to 2160p rez. I could see a problem with a media device if this resolution switch the TV is implementing is constantly switching!

gus-gus

Banned
Just picked up a one s 500gb. Beautiful system, can't wait to get home and set it up. There was about ten others waiting in line this morning.

DirtyLarry

I used to have hdmi tv in and wonder if the overlay is 1080p. If so do you think the resolution keeps trying to switch from 1080p to 4k. Also does this only happen when the xbox resolution is set to 4k or does it happen on the 1080p setting? I do notice on my amazon fire box that when content is UHD it blacks out for a second and goes to 2160p rez. I could see a problem with a media device if this resolution switch the TV is implementing is constantly switching!
Only happens when the XBox is set to 4K. 1080p is fine and what I currently have it set to. Zero issues on 1080p.
And yep, you just explained the issue exactly. I even made a video of it to share on YouTube so people could see what I was seeing.
I think it is just the signal itself, as when it happens, it is already on 4k, it just blacks out and goes to 4k again.
So (certain) Vizio models have a problem with maintaining the 4K signal from 4K components. All signs point towards it has to do with the bandwidth issue I mentioned above. HDMI 2.0 should support up to 18 Gbps. For some reason the Vizio's does not, and only supports 10 Gbps.

So if we apply this to what we know about transfer rates, the analogy that can be used is the stream (in this case the signal from the One S) is just dropping out as the transfer rate from the One S (and Roku 4, etc.) is too fast for the VIzio's port to process. And the quick blackout occurs until the stream catches up again. Note the audio never drops, just the video, which would take up the majority of the bandwidth.

Simply put, it sounds like Vizio may have cut some corners with the hardware they chose to use in certain models and the specifications of the HDMI port are not up to par with modern day specifications as it should be.

I believe with most HDR capable TVs that aren't OLED the back light and contrast goes up to the max. At least that's how it is with my TV. I have the Samsung JS8500 and won't be able to try a 4K Blu-ray until Amazon sends me the Revenant on Wednesday.

Secondly I would have to agree with you on not wanting to use the tablet
Life of Pi looks messed up though. Maybe I'll take pictures later. You're right that the backlight is supposed to be automatically be set to it's highest setting, but usually the picture looks amazing.

Maybe somethings wrong with my disc.

I'm guessing I should call my GameStop to see if they even have any. If they give me $150 for my fatty XB1 is go trade it in right now

Edit: their site says only $100 trade in. May as well just wait for Scorpio I don't even have a 4K TV yet haha

rokkerkory

Got last 500gb one at the nearest target just now with redcard 5% off. Saved $15.

wpid-wp-1442078892324.jpeg

Only happens when the XBox is set to 4K. 1080p is fine and what I currently have it set to. Zero issues on 1080p.
And yep, you just explained the issue exactly. I even made a video of it to share on YouTube so people could see what I was seeing.
I think it is just the signal itself, as when it happens, it is already on 4k, it just blacks out and goes to 4k again.
So (certain) Vizio models have a problem with maintaining the 4K signal from 4K components. All signs point towards it has to do with the bandwidth issue I mentioned above. HDMI 2.0 should support up to 18 Gbps. For some reason the Vizio's does not, and only supports 10 Gbps.

So if we apply this to what we know about transfer rates, the analogy that can be used is the stream (in this case the signal from the One S) is just dropping out as the transfer rate from the One S (and Roku 4, etc.) is too fast for the VIzio's port to process. And the quick blackout occurs until the stream catches up again. Note the audio never drops, just the video, which would take up the majority of the bandwidth.

Simply put, it sounds like Vizio may have cut some corners with the hardware they chose to use in certain models and the specifications of the HDMI port are not up to par with modern day specifications as it should be.

Are all of your hdmi cables 2.0? The one in hdmi in and hdmi out. I'm guessing one of those is the new One S cable.

Is anyone aware of a converter/splitter/switch (other than the really expensive HDFury Integral) that can handle HDCP 2.2 content and pass through 10-bit color and still maintain 4K @ 60fps (just at 4:2:0)?

I have an LG UB8500 and never realized that it has two different ports - 1 for HDCP 2.2 (with 8-bit only) and 1 for 10-bit but without HDCP 2.2

Until I got a new HDR10/Dolby Vision-compatible set next year, I was hoping to at least watch my UHD Blurays on the Xbox One S with 10-bit color. I was also just going to use the Netflix app on the Xbox since it is likely faster than the one built-in on my TV, but it would be a downgrade.

This is frustrating since the colors when watching 4K Netflix through the TV app are so much better, since it is streaming in 10-bit.

bgbball31

Traded in my Day One XBO for the 1 TB bundle. Didn't really want Madden, but I don't need 2 TB of space, and already had MCC/Halo 5.

Not sure if it is just the sheen of a new console, but the menus do feel snappier to me. Probably no difference though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Got the 500GB model last night.

I was surprised that it actually comes with a physical disc and gamebox for Halo 5 as opposed to a digital code.

It does come with a digital code for Halo MCC.

Its a beautiful piece of hardware, held back ONLY by the fact that the internal HDD is not upgradeable.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Traded in my Day One XBO for the 1 TB bundle. Didn't really want Madden, but I don't need 2 TB of space, and already had MCC/Halo 5.

Not sure if it is just the sheen of a new console, but the menus do feel snappier to me. Probably no difference though.

There probably IS a slight difference since the specs for the new S are slightly higher than the original Xbone.

Those Ass Creed bundles are a joke. WHy anyone would pay $30 more it when they can get a free $50 gift card for less is beyond my comprehension. Ok you get an extra controller, but you could just use the GC to do that.

Is anyone aware of a converter/splitter/switch (other than the really expensive HDFury Integral) that can handle HDCP 2.2 content and pass through 10-bit color and still maintain 4K @ 60fps (just at 4:2:0)?

I have an LG UB8500 and never realized that it has two different ports - 1 for HDCP 2.2 (with 8-bit only) and 1 for 10-bit but without HDCP 2.2

Until I got a new HDR10/Dolby Vision-compatible set next year, I was hoping to at least watch my UHD Blurays on the Xbox One S with 10-bit color. I was also just going to use the Netflix app on the Xbox since it is likely faster than the one built-in on my TV, but it would be a downgrade.

This is frustrating since the colors when watching 4K Netflix through the TV app are so much better, since it is streaming in 10-bit.

Just get a new AVR

I'm guessing I should call my GameStop to see if they even have any. If they give me $150 for my fatty XB1 is go trade it in right now

Edit: their site says only $100 trade in. May as well just wait for Scorpio I don't even have a 4K TV yet haha

I don't have a 4k tv either, but I am doing the trade in. The main reason is that the fat XB1 is gonna drop in value really fast. Sell it while it's still worth something.

Hitta93

Banned
There can be only one home console designation per Microsoft account. One of you is gonna get the short end of the stick.

Can you elaborate on this?

My account is home on my brothers account. My friend currently has his own XB1 set as the home Xbox as well. My friend wouldn't be able to set his account on my own to gameshare while I still game share with my brother?

jayvo

Got the 500GB model last night.

I was surprised that it actually comes with a physical disc and gamebox for Halo 5 as opposed to a digital code.

It does come with a digital code for Halo MCC.

Its a beautiful piece of hardware, held back ONLY by the fact that the internal HDD is not upgradeable.

I mean....I would imagine that the one of the reasons the 500GB model is selling the best is because people have no need for the added storage when you can easily attach an external drive to it. Don't want to speak for anyone else but I have a 5TB drive attached to my Xbox so paying additional money for the 1TB or even 2TB is money that I could spend on a game like Deus Ex.

Spades

If anyone is buying the 1TB Madden 17 bundle and does not want the game, I'll happily buy the code from you. Just PM me.

sam777

Kind of off topic, but think this is the best thread to ask:

Is it possible to share games with my brother with my Xbox One while at the same time, having a friend set his account on my Xbox as his home console?

Thinking of the best solution to get Madden 17 for cheap.

Your brother would not be able to play your gmes only his and your friends as your friend would have the console tagged as 'home'.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Can you elaborate on this?

My account is home on my brothers account. My friend currently has his own XB1 set as the home Xbox as well. My friend wouldn't be able to set his account on my own to gameshare while I still game share with my brother?

So if there are 3 people, A, B, C:

A can only share with B or C
B can only share with A or C
C can only share with A or B

If A and B share with eachother, so A shares with B, B shares with A (you and your brother), neither of you can share with C (your friend). C can share with A or B, but he will get the short end of the stick because he won't be able to play A or B's games.

DirtyLarry

Are all of your hdmi cables 2.0? The one in hdmi in and hdmi out. I'm guessing one of those is the new One S cable.
I appreciate the reply and the consequent triple checking on your behalf to make sure I did not look over the obvious, but keep in mind I have been dealing with the issue since Day 1 of the S being released. I have done literally everything I could to try to sort the issue out, including but not limited to all latest spec brand new HDMI cables across the board. These to be exact. I even paid for Amazon Next Day delivery so I could change them out on my day off from work.
6IYb.jpg

At least now every single one of my components have this cable on them.

In no particular order, I have also Factory Reset my TV, Factory Reset my Receiver, changed every setting known to man on both. Bypassed the receiver completely and hooked the One straight to the TV. Still the same exact issue. And it is easily replicated. All I have to do is enable 4K on whichever component it is. Also bear in mind I have VIzio sending me a replacement, and from what I have read online, they do not do so easily.

When I say I have spent at least 10 hours between research and actual steps to be taken on the issue, I am probably being generous. It is the TV that is the root cause of the issue. No doubt at all about that fact at this point in time. The only positive I can say is there are some people with the same model who say they do not have the issue. In my time spent researching the issue I would say it is about 50%-50% of those who do, and those who do not. And the only thing I can see for those that do not is some people may not be using the One Guide and Live TV, although logic does tell me that does not matter, so I think it is just a mere coincidence.

Again, I hope for your sake you are one of the ones that do not have the issue. I also hope I am one of the people that do not have it once I receive my replacement. With that said, I am already saving up money for a new TV.

Finally let me apologize if I sound annoyed by everything, but the truth is I am. Very much so. I feel as if I had to prove to people for some reason I do have this issue, which just bewilders me as why on earth would I say I did if I did not? I also just do not get why people feel if they do not have the issue I should not as well. It completely does not keep in mind manufacturing process and just the fact that there are a decent amount of variables at play with home theater setups. Especially something like the One which also supports Cable boxes. I knew I was not getting HDR but I specifically traded in my launch One and a 3DSXL to pick up the S just for 4K. I barely used the 3DSXL which is one of the reasons I decided to trade it in, but if I knew what I know now, I would have never done it and kept it. So the primary reason I picked up the S, for 4K upscaling of TV and games and to play UHD Blu-Rays, I currently cannot use, and I was under the impression I would be able to. I am back to 1080p until either this replacement set does address the issue and or I get a new TV. Fingers crossed it is the former.

Hitta93

Banned
So if there are 3 people, A, B, C:

A can only share with B or C
B can only share with A or C
C can only share with A or B

If A and B share with eachother, so A shares with B, B shares with A (you and your brother), neither of you can share with C (your friend). C can share with A or B, but he will get the short end of the stick because he won't be able to play A or B's games.

So if C doesn't care about getting the short end of the stick, you're saying it is possible to do?

webkatt

I have this issue with my Vizio M50-C1 BUTTTT with my PC set at 1080p.

I can say that with certainty it started happening after there was a firmware update on the TV.

Can't confirm, but I believe that trading in the fat XB1 by itself is worth $100 trade in, but trading it TOWARDS a Xbox One S will get you the $150. I have yet to try this myself but I think that is what happens.

CrazE

Banned
Is the MS stores doing any trade ins for their Xbox consoles? I'm seeing Gamestop giving that 150 for an X1 until the end of the month.

MS store doing the same thing at all?

I saw the same thing. Keep scrolling down and it'll show you the 150 back for trade in.

I appreciate the reply and the consequent triple checking on your behalf to make sure I did not look over the obvious, but keep in mind I have been dealing with the issue since Day 1 of the S being released. I have done literally everything I could to try to sort the issue out, including but not limited to all latest spec brand new HDMI cables across the board. These to be exact. I even paid for Amazon Next Day delivery so I could change them out on my day off .

In no particular order, I have also Factory Reset my TV, Factory Reset my Receiver, changed every setting known to man on both. Bypassed the receiver completely and hooked the One straight to the TV. Still the same exact issue. And it is easily replicated. All I have to do is enable 4K on whichever component it is. Also bear in mind I have VIzio sending me a replacement, and from what I have read online, they do not do so easily.

When I say I have spent at least 10 hours between research and actual steps to be taken on the issue, I am probably being generous. It is the TV that is the root cause of the issue. No doubt at all about that fact at this point in time. The only positive I can say is there are some people with the same model who say they do not have the issue. In my time spent researching the issue I would say it is about 50%-50% of those who do, and those who do not. And the only thing I can see for those that do not is some people may not be using the One Guide and Live TV, although logic does tell me that does not matter, so I think it is just a mere coincidence.

Again, I hope for your sake you are one of the ones that do not have the issue. I also hope I am one of the people that do not have it once I receive my replacement. With that said, I am already saving up money for a new TV.

Finally let me apologize if I sound annoyed by everything, but the truth is I am. Very much so. I feel as if I had to prove to people for some reason I do have this issue, which just bewilders me as why on earth would I say I did if I did not? I also just do not get why people feel if they do not have the issue I should not as well. It completely does not keep in mind manufacturing process and just the fact that there are a decent amount of variables at play with home theater setups. Especially something like the One which also supports Cable boxes. I knew I was not getting HDR but I specifically traded in my launch One and a 3DSXL to pick up the S just for 4K. I barely used the 3DSXL which is one of the reasons I decided to trade it in, but if I knew what I know now, I would have never done it and kept it. So the primary reason I picked up the S, for 4K upscaling of TV and games and to play UHD Blu-Rays, I currently cannot use, and I was under the impression I would be able to. I am back to 1080p until either this replacement set does address the issue and or I get a new TV. Fingers crossed it is the former.

Did you mention earlier that vizio is sending you a replacement?

I have a 2015 vizio m55c2. That would really chap my ass if 4k doesn't work on my 4k tv.

Edit: if it matters I would only be upgrading for the 4k blu player and 4k gaming upscaling.

I appreciate the reply and the consequent triple checking on your behalf to make sure I did not look over the obvious, but keep in mind I have been dealing with the issue since Day 1 of the S being released. I have done literally everything I could to try to sort the issue out, including but not limited to all latest spec brand new HDMI cables across the board. These to be exact. I even paid for Amazon Next Day delivery so I could change them out on my day off from work.
6IYb.jpg

Man I hate this. Here's to your new set being legit. HDR sets are sounding better to us by the moment. Good luck.

Top Bottom