• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

So torn on whether to pick one of these bad boys up or wait for Scorpio. I have a PS4 now, but am wanting the One for Fallout/Skyrim mods and Elite Dangerous.

So torn on whether to pick one of these bad boys up or wait for Scorpio. I have a PS4 now, but am wanting the One for Fallout/Skyrim mods and Elite Dangerous.

If you're not worried about losing a bit of value, just get XB1 S and sell or trade it in toward Scorpio later on. The library will move forward.

chadskin

Since this is the most active XB1 hardware thread and I don't want to open a new thread ... I picked up an OG Xbox One in August and I've been having pretty frequent game crashes / freezes since.

• FH2 - 25-30 hours - 2 crashes
  • FH2: Fast and Furious - 4 hours - 0 crashes
  • FH3 demo - 2 hours - 1 crash
  • FIFA 16 - 4 hours - 1 crash (just now during an online match :/)
That's one crash every ten hours, basically. Seems to be happening at random times during gameplay.

Surely that can't be normal? Is there a way to fix this? I almost suspect it's a hardware issue, RAM or HDD perhaps. :/

Any opinions on Xbox One S vs Elite? I'm still on a 1080P and probably won't upgrade until next year (still prefer my Panny plasma for it's motion). Elite is slightly cheaper with some of the deals and has, I'm assuming, the superior controller.

Also, can anyone describe how the IR blaster works? How it's controlled, how you program other devices, etc. I haven't seen much info about it.

How much cheaper? There have been some pretty goid S bundles going around. If you care about UHD bluray go for the S, otherwise save some money and get a better controller.

T.O.P

Banned
Since this is the most active XB1 hardware thread and I don't want to open a new thread ... I picked up an OG Xbox One in August and I've been having pretty frequent game crashes / freezes since.

That's one crash every ten hours, basically. Seems to be happening at random times during gameplay.

Surely that can't be normal? Is there a way to fix this? I almost suspect it's a hardware issue, RAM or HDD perhaps. :/

I can only talk for FH2 and the F&F expansion wich i had a fair share of crashes with it

I'm pretty sure it was the game in that case tho :/ no idea about fifa and fh3

Hard reset already tried?

JeffG

I think it is more due to the last update and not hardware at all. Since the last update, I've had more crashes in the last month vs the the entire other time I've owned it. (and I got mine Day 1) For Example. I have 835 hrs of DA:I It never crashed on me, until the last anniversary update. It would then crash at least once a day.

chadskin

I can only talk for FH2 and the F&F expansion wich i had a fair share of crashes with it

I'm pretty sure it was the game in that case tho :/ no idea about fifa and fh3

Hard reset already tried?

I think it is more due to the last update and not hardware at all. Since the last update, I've had more crashes in the last month vs the the entire other time I've owned it. (and I got mine Day 1) For Example. I have 835 hrs of DA:I It never crashed on me, until the last anniversary update. It would then crash at least once a day.

Well, that sucks but I'm glad it looks like I don't have to send it in at least.

If it's indeed because of the Anniversary Update, I'm surprised there's not more talk about it here or on Reddit, or perhaps I've just missed it. Anyhow, not a fun situation, hopefully MS can fix it sooner rather than later.

I'll give the hard reset a try, thanks.

JeffG

Well, that sucks but I'm glad it looks like I don't have to send it in at least.

If it's indeed because of the Anniversary Update, I'm surprised there's not more talk about it here or on Reddit, or perhaps I've just missed it. Anyhow, not a fun situation, hopefully MS can fix it sooner rather than later.

I'll give the hard reset a try, thanks.

Well...They did add a bug with Backward compatibility. The fix for that is in preview.

Shit...even last night I was in the Game App looking for something to play. Hit the B button to back out...Boom. Next thing I see is the XBox Green Boot up screen

rdytoroll

Only a few days till mine arrives, can't wait.

Already bought Halo 5 this week and I'm looking at 1 or 2 cheap games to get with that. Was thinking about Halo MCC, GoW Ultimate Edition or Forza 6. Not sure though with Forza 6, because I want Forza Horizon 3 and two racing games could be overkill at first. And Halo MCC + Halo 5 + GoW would be enough shooters to last me for months.
Also any other indie games that I can only get on Xbox (and not on Steam)?

newsguy

I have a small technical question for those who have tried this. I have a theater set up with a receiver that is hdcp 2.2 but a 1080p projector that obviously isn't. So I have 2 questions about an Xbox one S in this scenario. First is, when I play a UHD movie on the Xbox, will it down scale it to 1080p internally (theoretically making the image a little better in 1080p) or will it just tell me I can't watch this movie on a non hdcp 2.2 device?

Second question is, how does this same scenario work for streaming Netflix in 4k? Will netflix sense that I have no hdcp and immediately play the 1080p version of that movie or show, or will it down scale a 4K version and send it that way? Thanks

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
aMNwRW9.jpg

VF brought me here

Lima

I have a small technical question for those who have tried this. I have a theater set up with a receiver that is hdcp 2.2 but a 1080p projector that obviously isn't. So I have 2 questions about an Xbox one S in this scenario. First is, when I play a UHD movie on the Xbox, will it down scale it to 1080p internally (theoretically making the image a little better in 1080p) or will it just tell me I can't watch this movie on a non hdcp 2.2 device?

Second question is, how does this same scenario work for streaming Netflix in 4k? Will netflix sense that I have no hdcp and immediately play the 1080p version of that movie or show, or will it down scale a 4K version and send it that way? Thanks

?

If your projector doesn't accept 4K resolution it will not display anything so you just get a blank screen. Set your Xbox to 1080p output then. UHD Blu-rays play at 1080p too. Depending on the mastering of the title it might look a little better than the regular Blu-ray but don't expect a huge difference. Netflix will just play the 1080p stream.

etta

my hard graphic balls

If it's every 10 hours it might be temperature related or memory leaks.

Cake Boss

Banned
Is it wrong to think that this is the sexiest console ever made by anybody?

Ordered one this week. MS just needs to ship it already.

thenameDS

Can the console stand without the vertical stand? Mine is coming next week but there's no stands in the UK for sale yet. It's just going to be behind my TV and I'm all digital so the console won't be touched at all.

WadeitOut

Slightly unrelated but I've been getting ridiculously fast download speeds on XBL lately. I downloaded the FH3 demo on my XB1 S in like ~4 minutes.

MrBenchmark

Can the console stand without the vertical stand? Mine is coming next week but there's no stands in the UK for sale yet. It's just going to be behind my TV and I'm all digital so the console won't be touched at all.

can you yes , should you no! the stand has a wider footprint.

Max_Po

Banned
I returned my Xbox One S as I have Call of Duty Advance Warfare Edition in pristine condition but I miss the Xbox One S already...its such a compact and sleek machine. That 500 plus tax ( Canadian ) I can use toward Scorpio. or a Ps4 Pro this year...

If MS bring Storm Grey to Canada I am getting Xbox One S ...again..

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Will games need a patch to make them HDR compatible?

I'm thinking about Sunset overdrive in UHD-HDR colour.

Yes, they would need a patch to be HDR compatible.

Unfortunately, it seems as if MS has no interest in patching old titles to be compatible with HDR, looking only at future titles like Gears, Forza and NBA 2K17.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Will games need a patch to make them HDR compatible?

I'm thinking about Sunset overdrive in UHD-HDR colour.

I'm not sure SO would benefit. HDR is about nuance in more varied colours, whereas SO's visuals are all about bold colour saturation.

Daigoro

I wish I could say the same, but sadly in the last few days, my controller has disconnected a number of times. Pretty frustrating as I had hoped that was a fixed issue.

shit, serious? that sucks... i still havent had one disconnect. odd.

VF brought me here

what did i miss? back compat, or something else?

edit: just looked it up. nice! now if only my old 360 sticks worked on the One... :/

MoodyFog

So I'm about to get an xbox one S, which will be my first xbox

What would you guys say are some essentials? So far I'm only getting Fifa 17 and Forza 6

Also what would the consensus be on the best fighting and fps games?

Cheers

Flux

So I'm about to get an xbox S, which will be my first xbox

What would you guys say are some essentials? So far I'm only getting Fifa 17 and Forza 6

Cheers

Best fighting game is Killer Instinct, buy the edition with all 3 seasons its the best value (don't need the skins or coin bonuses). Free to play to just try it with a rotating character.

FPS: I guess pick up Halo 5, not a huge fan of FPSes. (Halo 5 came with my S)

If you like sports games, you can pick up EA Access (~$30/year, can find it cheaper scouring for discounts online). You get a discount and early play for sports games you want on release. You get old ones as part of the Vault (usually 8 months after release).

Keep an eye out for an external HDD, maybe come Black Friday. Can get 3 Tb for under $100 at times, loads games faster than the standard internal drive.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So I'm about to get an xbox S, which will be my first xbox

Cheers
Sunset Overdrive and check out Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Motorsport 6 demos, don't get Forza Motorsport 6 unless you can afford both or are more of a sim racer.

So I'm about to get an xbox one S, which will be my first xbox

Cheers

Ryse is short, should be fairly cheap by now, and still looks incredible.
New Tomb Raider is fantastic.

Hey guys, I have a few questions about the S, hoping to hear some opinions on this.

I'm thinking of trading in my OG Xbone for the S. Are there any downsides, or "downgrades"? I actually would like to keep my Kinect hooked up, would that be an issue? I remember hearing something about the IR functionality changing on the One S, is this a big deal?

I don't have a 4K TV right now so I'd mainly be getting it for the smaller size of the system plus the minor performance boost it apparently gives some games. Worth it?

TRios Zen

Hey guys, I have a few questions about the S, hoping to hear some opinions on this.

I'm thinking of trading in my OG Xbone for the S. Are there any downsides, or "downgrades"? I actually would like to keep my Kinect hooked up, would that be an issue? I remember hearing something about the IR functionality changing on the One S, is this a big deal?

I don't have a 4K TV right now so I'd mainly be getting it for the smaller size of the system plus the minor performance boost it apparently gives some games. Worth it?

The S is nice but in order to keep your kinect uh, connected, you will have to get a free adapter from Microsoft (requires serial number from original Xbox One and Kinect I believe). Otherwise, no, there are no downgrades I'm aware of.

Whether it is worth the upgrade, sans a 4K TV is really a subjective decision, I'd say this, if you got a good deal on the trade-in of your old one, there is enough new to like about the S that you should be fine.

I'm happy with my upgrade even though I dont currently have a 4K tv, but I'm planning on getting one soon, so it made sense for me.

Awesome, thanks. If I go for the trade in it'll still be around 140 to split the difference so I'm not 100 % convinced it's worth it. Especially with Scorpio coming next year and basically rendering this upgrade kind of pointless..but damn the OG takes up so much damn space in my entertainment unit lol.

Awesome, thanks. If I go for the trade in it'll still be around 140 to split the difference so I'm not 100 % convinced it's worth it. Especially with Scorpio coming next year and basically rendering this upgrade kind of pointless..but damn the OG takes up so much damn space in my entertainment unit lol.
I doubt Scorpio will be any smaller than the OG. Maybe a little bit but don't expect S size.

Tall Paul

UK Gaf, Amazon have the 500GB FIFA 17 pack for £224 at the moment, have to pay to have it delivered on release day (if you don't have Prime) but if you ask over on the help section chat once ordered then they should waive it after a bit of reluctance. Can't see it going much lower until maybe Black Friday. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KI13K0W/

Gone with £224 at tesco, clubcard points swayed me over the amazon deal.

What's the best 2tb HDD external option people are using? Self powered USB or the faster AC powered ones? I imagine the 7200rpm drives having a bit of an improvement over the stock one..

etta

my hard graphic balls
I only recommend AC powered external drives to minimize chances of corruption if power fails suddenly.

EmiPrime

Gone with £224 at tesco, clubcard points swayed me over the amazon deal.

What's the best 2tb HDD external option people are using? Self powered USB or the faster AC powered ones? I imagine the 7200rpm drives having a bit of an improvement over the stock one..

The 2TB Seagate that's around £60 on Amazon is very good. It's self-powered but you can tell the Xbox One to turn off external storage when it shuts down.

mozfan12

Banned
Couple of weeks with the S and I can definitely say now it was worth it. Love having 2tb worth of games on my system, runs silent, no problems with disc drive (which was a recurring problem with my original Xbox One) and is probably the sleekest hardware I've ever had. I hope they can keep the same dimensions for Scorpio.

EmiPrime

Bought this beauty yesterday:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Y0R9DPW/

Going to use double-sided tape to stick it to the Xbox.

Unless something has changed I would avoid Western Digital's external drives because of their goofy firmware and hardwired connectors. Not good if the enclosure ever dies as you'll have trouble swapping the drive into another one and if you ever want to repurpose the drive for your PC they are kind of terrible for data retrieval.

If WD have turned over a new leaf feel free to correct me.

Do we know if all A/C powered external drives are 7200rpm? I can't seem to definitely figure it out, Seagate seems to have different revisions for different years.. Ugh.

I'm looking to buy a new controller for my PC. I heard the Xbox S controller has better feeling thumbsticks than the original Xbox One controller, is this true?

I can get the OG Xbox One controller for much cheaper but If there's a big improvement I'd like the S model.

Top Bottom