• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Should be getting an s tomorrow so can I just check:

1) my current X1, all games are installed on external hard drives so I just deselect make this my home console, plug in the new s, make that home console and I'm good to go?

2) I'm in the preview programme, do I have to come out of it / remove myself on the old X1 and re register on the s?

Anything else I need to be wary of going from one machine to another?

Thanks.

1) Don't have to do this, but if you don't make the S the home console you'll have to be online to play any of your digital games. When you make the S your home console it'll remove the old one. No need to do it on both devices.

2) No, just go into the preview app and it's really easy to add your new console. Don't have to remove the old one unless you want to.

Only a couple of hours and I hopefully have my new S. I'm extremely excited for it and can't wait to immediately sell Fifa 17 and play Rare Replay all night long.

How I feel going from an OG to the S

44027-old-and-busted-new-hotness-old-old-old-o.gif

Now I need November to get here so I can snag my pro.

gamz

MS was at my work today and had a S setup. Holy crap is thay tiny. Much smaller then I thought. Beautiful seeing it in person.

Montresor

I just took advantage of the console trade-in deal microsoftstore.ca has.

I had a near-launch Xbox One that originally came with a headset and Kinect.

The online instructions made no mention of headset or Kinect. It explicitly, unequivocally stated all they would need is for me to send my Xbox, my power brick and power cable, controller, and HDMI cable. Then, once they receive the console, if they prove that it turns on, bam, $220 redemption code.

And I got it! So I just bought the Gears of War S console for $373 Canadian, which includes 13% HST/tax!!! And I still have my headset and Kinect!

Ok, I went to my brother's house last night and saw the S in person for the first time. HOLY FUCK.

Pictures don't do this fucker justice. Not only is it waaaaaaaaay smaller than it's made out to be, it's comfortably the best looking console ever made, assuming one has decent taste. Can't wait to see how Panos steers the Scorpio.

How about no!

To my fellow Canadians: Do you know of any good Xbox One S deals? The weak dollar and the even weaker salary that I make have me lurking for an advantageous offer...

rdytoroll

How the fuck can a console be this quiet? Didn't hear a peep playing the Forza Horizon 3 demo

My jet engine, oops I mean my PS4, is much worse in comparison.

Ushay

I finally traded in my OG X1 and got the S. I have to say this is one of the best designs I have ever seen, its slick, very slim and super quiet.

Well done MS, hope Scorpio can follow in these footsteps, will be a winner if it does.

Justinh

The online instructions made no mention of headset or Kinect. It explicitly, unequivocally stated all they would need is for me to send my Xbox, my power brick and power cable, controller, and HDMI cable. Then, once they receive the console, if they prove that it turns on, bam, $220 redemption code.

And I got it! So I just bought the Gears of War S console for $373 Canadian, which includes 13% HST/tax!!! And I still have my headset and Kinect!

Man, I wonder if there's a similar deal in the US. Not sure I'd qualify, though.
My Xbox isn't in the best shape.

It still works. I use it everyday...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
How about no!

To my fellow Canadians: Do you know of any good Xbox One S deals? The weak dollar and the even weaker salary that I make have me lurking for an advantageous offer...

If you can point out a better looking console, I'd love to hear it. I'm yet to see one and I've owned them all. PS2 Slim comes close.

phant0m

Ok, I went to my brother's house last night and saw the S in person for the first time. HOLY FUCK.

Pictures don't do this fucker justice. Not only is it waaaaaaaaay smaller than it's made out to be, it's comfortably the best looking console ever made, assuming one has decent taste. Can't wait to see how Panos steers the Scorpio.

Better than the PS2 Slim? That's still my top console design ever (the XBO S is very similar)

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
1) Don't have to do this, but if you don't make the S the home console you'll have to be online to play any of your digital games. When you make the S your home console it'll remove the old one. No need to do it on both devices.

2) No, just go into the preview app and it's really easy to add your new console. Don't have to remove the old one unless you want to.

Awesome, thank you.

psychotron

I've had the S since it launched and it really is a gorgeous console. My OG box was a gigantic dust collector, but with BC, Forza Horizon 3 and a new Gears coming, my S is getting plenty of playtime. Well done MS.

thenameDS

My S also arrived yesterday and wow the thing is gorgeous and tiny. Really wish the grey model was coming to the UK.

Also the new controller feels awesome, I kinda prefer it over my Elite one O.O

Ohmbrew

I just did this trade in deal in store (Madden bundle) and they let me keep my controller and HDMI cable! That was unexpected. All they needed was the box and the power cable/brick. Can't wait to start up the new console!

How long did it take to get your $220 code?

Montresor

How long did it take to get your $220 code?

On Saturday Sep 17th I went to FedEx with my Xbox and prepaid shipping label (which I got from following the links/instructions here by the way:https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/cat/Xbox-Trade-In/categoryID.70604700). I dropped my Xbox and the prepaid shipping label with FedEx and went home.

On Tuesday Sep 20th FedEx finished delivering my Xbox to the appraisal facility.

Today (Thursday Sep 22nd), I was emailed the $220 redemption code.

So not too bad of a turnaround.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Damn this thing is beautiful. Mine arrived yesterday.

Decided against selling my OG launch XB1, and instead having more places to play my games. All-in on Xbox in this house!

Bought mine yesterday, its a beauty.

Nice to have it standing up, its quiet, netflix in 4k is great, games look great, pretty happy.
Not having that monster power brick is already worth the investment.

The gamepad feels awesome, and I'm still amazed on how Xbox Live is better than Psn, downloaded Halo MCC, halo 5, Forza 6 and FIfa 17 at max Speed yesterday (150Mbps) in one night while playing.

The dashboard/navigation could be better.

Overall I feel Xbox One S is better than I tought and for those with og ps4 (like me) a much better choice than ps4 pro will be

Nitty_Grimes

Do current X1 controllers not work with the s?

Been trying to sync my day one X1 controller with my new s and nothing is happening, they just wont talk to each other, flashy lights for a bit then nothing.

If I try with USB it kinda works, as soon as I unplug the USB cable, nothing happens, the light stays on but buttons do nothing.

EqicDodoO

Since yesterday a got an xbox one s with FH3.
Installed for a bit played a bit. Until it need to install some more.

The game froze at 96% and restarted my game. From here the game was stuck at 80% for ages in-game.

I deleted the install and restarted it again.
Went to sleep and the next morning 7 hours later the game was 30% full install. Went to work came home and now it's 80% but i still can't play it. In game it's only 56% done.

Can someone please tell me whats going on?
Thanks

etta

my hard graphic balls
Do current X1 controllers not work with the s?

Been trying to sync my day one X1 controller with my new s and nothing is happening, they just wont talk to each other, flashy lights for a bit then nothing.

If I try with USB it kinda works, as soon as I unplug the USB cable, nothing happens, the light stays on but buttons do nothing.
Sounds like something is broken, talk to support chat.

The game froze at 96% and restarted my game. From here the game was stuck at 80% for ages in-game.

Went to sleep and the next morning 7 hours later the game was 30% full install. Went to work came home and now it's 80% but i still can't play it. In game it's only 56% done.

Thanks
Do you have a slow internet connection? When you installed the game, did you opt to download the patch then and at the same time?

EqicDodoO

Do you have a slow internet connection? When you installed the game, did you opt to download the patch then and at the same time?

Yes i have my speed is 20mbit.Ive just read about it. The next time i just unplug and wait till it finished and then apply the update. Thanks for the quick reply.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yes i have my speed is 20mbit.Ive just read about it. The next time i just unplug and wait till it finished and then apply the update. Thanks for the quick reply.
You don't have to unplug the cable or go offline, just make sure you hit "don't update now" at the prompt because when you install a disc it will prompt you to download the update but gives you the option to skip it and get it later, do so after the disc finishes installing.

Chorazin

Looks like we're picking one up tonight! Our launch Xbone disconnects from live randomly at least once a night, sometimes a lot more. It's annoying as shit.

Gonna dump it at Gamestop with the 360 and PS3 we haven't touched in like a year and get the new hotness. Looking forward to it!

ktroopa

Thanks

Mine did something similar, was downloading and installing at the same time. Is this normal? Or can you set it to download 1st and then patches after. Need a little help plz

Nivane

Mine did something similar, was downloading and installing at the same time. Is this normal? Or can you set it to download 1st and then patches after. Need a little help plz

Whenever I install a game and the 'Update' prompt appears, I always choose to update later. It seems to do some funky stuff when you update as you install. Install the base game first, then run it so the 'Update' prompt shows. I've never had issues when doing it this way.

EmiPrime

Game installation is probably the worst thing about the Xbox one. My S arrives tomorrow morning and I'm not looking forward to going through that rigmarole again.

Memory

Got my S today afterwork, looks really nice and fits perfectly under my TV next to my Wii U and PS4.

Couple of questions:

1. I want a password on my purchases and account information but not the console. I'm sure i have this set up on my OG X1 but can't find the option on the S. How do i do this?

2. How does game sharing work now? all the details i can find are from 2014. I bought Gears 4 digital and i'm hoping to play co-op on my og and new S. I can do this with gold on only one account right?
I just need to set the second console to be my home one and it can play on another playertag but use my gold?

Thanks for any help given.

Ohmbrew

Has anyone had any issues with the media player app on their Xbox One S? I just hooked my new console up last night and could not get the media player app to see any of my network DLNA files.

The original Xbox had no problems with this, and my second day one XB1 in the basement can still see everything on my network, but for some reason, the new Xbox One S does not. I logged onto my PC and it could not find the new XB1 S under media devices whereas my basement OG XB1 shows up.

Have I forgot to do something in the settings? I'm confused!?

Any help is appreciated.

f@luS

More than a member.
Does anybody have some issue with uhd playback ? I have two uhd that freeze sometimes within the first minutes of play then it's ok after. Is that normal ?
-and I just check by clicking on right stick that it's around 40-60mbps. Is that normal I though it was much higher ?

Nitty_Grimes

Fuck.

"You need this update to use your console, but something went wrong"

Constantly.

EDIT: It has done about 4 updates in the last 3 hours.

Theswweet

I'm looking into getting an Xbox One, been looking at the S. I'm not a big fan of Windows 10 (I use Linux as my daily driver), so I've been hoping to get one for those games that are "exclusive" to Windows 10 and Xbox One. Good idea?

Nitty_Grimes

Oh, so there is ANOTHER 4 gig update despite all the updates I have downloaded today.

This thing really is windows 10.

Nivane

Has anyone had any issues with the media player app on their Xbox One S? I just hooked my new console up last night and could not get the media player app to see any of my network DLNA files.

The original Xbox had no problems with this, and my second day one XB1 in the basement can still see everything on my network, but for some reason, the new Xbox One S does not. I logged onto my PC and it could not find the new XB1 S under media devices whereas my basement OG XB1 shows up.

Have I forgot to do something in the settings? I'm confused!?

Any help is appreciated.

Media Player has been spotty at best. From quitting playback to not seeing the server, it seems to only work when it wants to. Once Plex became free, I've just used that, and it has worked flawlessly.

EmiPrime

I'm looking into getting an Xbox One, been looking at the S. I'm not a big fan of Windows 10 (I use Linux as my daily driver), so I've been hoping to get one for those games that are "exclusive" to Windows 10 and Xbox One. Good idea?

Yeah why not? You can always sell it if you're not happy with it! Like with the PS4 Pro a lot of the first party games will be getting upgrades come Scorpio too.

Ushay

Without the power brick, it's super quiet.

Love it. Also, is it me or is the UI a little zippier? Still needs work though..

inner-G

Banned
Just got a One S today, my first XBONE along with a new TV.

I have an i5/970 oc PC in my setup already, but the UHD blu-ray player sold me. You lost at least one sale Sony - I would have held out if the PS Pro had UHD BD.

Cool to see RDR and a couple of my old digital 360 games supported. Went from never playing Halo to owning all of them, lol. Wish more 360 games worked though. Only one or two of my 20ish games are supported.

Now I find myself seriously debating whether to blow an extra $50 to get Forza Horizon 3 early for the weekend, lol

Top Bottom