• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

Always wanted to try out the series based on what I have read and from what others have said about it kind of being an evolution or continuation of aspects of Shenmue. I'll be there Day 1 for this game.

Its really almost nothing like Shenmue except both feature you exploring a town/city in Japan and there is fighting. Oh, and Sega games in the arcades. However even in the combat the two games are fairly different - with Shenmue going for a less over the top grounded approach to combat (feeling a bit more akin to Virtua Fighter), while Yakuza is more arcadey in comparison - and has you performing crazy heat moves with a salt shaker. I love Shenmue, but I wouldn't recommend going into Yakuza expecting the exact same experience, you may well be disappointed.

Backflip

Its really almost nothing like Shenmue except both feature you exploring a town/city in Japan and there is fighting. Oh, and Sega games in the arcades. However even in the combat the two games are fairly different - with Shenmue going for a less over the top arcadey approach, while Yakuza has you performing crazy heat moves with a salt shaker. I love Shenmue, but I wouldn't recommend going into Yakuza expecting the exact same experience, you may well be disappointed.

I'm a huge fan of both Shenmue and Yakuza and I think that there are more than one similarities between the two franchises even though the tone and the gameplay is quite different.

I'm probably wrong but I've always thought that the first Yakuza was a way for SEGA to release a Shenmue-like game that corrected what some people didn't like about Shenmue like the lack of things to do and the lack of action.

v0mitg0d

Awesome thread!

OK, so my review copies has arrived and I'm planning to make some videos (Let's Plays, guides) over here.

What do you guys want and expect out of Yakuza 0. I'd like to get a sense of that from you folks, and also what you love about these games (even though I suspect what that is). Truth be told, I've picked up every single Yakuza with the intention of playing them, but I really only managed to play a few hours of Yakuza 3 (or was it 4?).

I'm really looking forward to this one though since it's basically an entry point for folks like me.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Awesome thread!

OK, so my review copies has arrived and I'm planning to make some videos (Let's Plays, guides) over here.

What do you guys want and expect out of Yakuza 0. I'd like to get a sense of that from you folks, and also what you love about these games (even though I suspect what that is). Truth be told, I've picked up every single Yakuza with the intention of playing them, but I really only managed to play a few hours of Yakuza 3 (or was it 4?).

I'm really looking forward to this one though since it's basically an entry point for folks like me.
having completed every localized mainline entry, i am looking forward to a tighter, more focused game than Yakuza 5.

bnx

someone say gif?

6yyt14.gif

Awesome thread!

Good story

Take advantage of the PS4 hardware. Having played Yakuza 1-5, I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with the PS4.

Jimrpg

Awesome thread!

The games are made with a Japanese audience in mind, so it feels like watching a Japanese movie as opposed to a Hollywood movie. That's why the GTA comparison is really off, because people go in expecting a Japanese GTA maybe like Resident Evil but it is literally the opposite in feel and tone to a GTA.

My expectations are the same for every Yakuza game, the continual improvement and refinement of the game as a whole with each and every game. I love the Yakuza formula, a great crime story, a slice of Japanese life, virtual tourism, evolution of the game from a technical perspective (1080p/60 suits me just fine), brawler aspects, new gameplay or mechanics. Because they reuse alot of their existing assets, they are able to continually improve in other areas, great cinematics, more mini games, more shops and areas to explore within the existing area.

having completed every localized mainline entry, i am looking forward to a tighter, more focused game than Yakuza 5.
I agree. I also want the story to be personal, much easier to follow (aka less twists) and very impactful. There was one JP trailer that ended with a text saying something along these lines:

"The end of this story, will be one that you'll never forget"

I want them to make good on that (now 2 years old) promise.

T.A.L

I beat yakuza 1, 2, and 3 back in the day. I remember being exhausted cuz I burned through them in the span of a month. However I will be getting this. Hell I even purchased 4 and 5 even though I had them free with ps plus. I'm on part 3 of 4. I'm kind of tired of side quests but I want all the moves! The story has really pulled me in though. And I like how all the characters' stories overlap so far.

I beat yakuza 1, 2, and 3 back in the day. I remember being exhausted cuz I burned through them in the span of a month. However I will be getting this. Hell I even purchased 4 and 5 even though I had them free with ps plus. I'm on part 3 of 4. I'm kind of tired of side quests but I want all the moves! The story has really pulled me in though. And I like how all the characters' stories overlap so far.
Yakuza 4 is great in that regard. Unfortunately the same can't be said about Yakuza 5...

Drahcir

Checking in to say I have secured my pre-order! :) Been a fan of the series up until 4 or when localization for it stopped. I'm so glad it's back. Anyone else pre-order from Amazon for the shiny business card case? I like shiny things.

Eolz

So, sorry if it had been answered already, but what is the cheapest/easiest way to import an NA LE copy in EU/UK?
I will buy the regular copy if I can't, but that's a shame there's no preorder bonus at all in EU.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So, sorry if it had been answered already, but what is the cheapest/easiest way to import an NA LE copy in EU/UK?
I will buy the regular copy if I can't, but that's a shame there's no preorder bonus at all in EU.

Probably just Amazon.com.

We should actually make one and put it below our avatars. You know something like the "Shenmue Defense Force" one that Irish has :)
That's a damn good idea and I would love to be a part of it!

Maybe we could have that picture of Kiryu from Y6 giving the thumbs up instead of Ryo from Shenmue.

Jimrpg

Always wanted to try out the series based on what I have read and from what others have said about it kind of being an evolution or continuation of aspects of Shenmue. I'll be there Day 1 for this game.

Its really almost nothing like Shenmue except both feature you exploring a town/city in Japan and there is fighting. Oh, and Sega games in the arcades. However even in the combat the two games are fairly different - with Shenmue going for a less over the top grounded approach to combat (feeling a bit more akin to Virtua Fighter), while Yakuza is more arcadey in comparison - and has you performing crazy heat moves with a salt shaker. I love Shenmue, but I wouldn't recommend going into Yakuza expecting the exact same experience, you may well be disappointed.

I was just playing Shenmue II last night on the Xbox. I've never finished it, but it was blowing my mind. My last save was from 2001!

It is still so great. Everything was voiced and you can talk to people at different times and they'll always talk about exactly what you are doing, who you're supposed to find. They must have spend tons of money with voices for all the NPCs and given everyone tons of lines. I was also immediately hooked on the tone of the game, at first the voice acting was very 'primitive', for example everyone butchers pronunciation of all the Chinese words. But the writing is really strong and on point, whereas Yakuza is kind of waffly and overly long.

They really are different games. Yakuza feels more like a movie with all the cutscenes and does a great job at making you feel like a badass. Shenmue feels like an adventure title and more exploration both of the area and discovery of yourself.

Even though I only picked it up for a couple of hours, Shenmue II was really amazing and ahead of its time. It is still very much enjoyable now qualities as the writing and tone stand the test of time. Of course there are some archaic things like when I failed at carrying a bunch of books, I had to wait until the next day in game time to try again.

Playing through it again I can totally see how Shenmue cost so much money and how Yakuza was an attempt to spread out the same costs over a number of titles.

I was just playing Shenmue II last night on the Xbox. I've never finished it, but it was blowing my mind. My last save was from 2001!

It is still so great. Everything was voiced and you can talk to people at different times and they'll always talk about exactly what you are doing, who you're supposed to find. They must have spend tons of money with voices for all the NPCs and given everyone tons of lines. I was also immediately hooked on the tone of the game, at first the voice acting was very 'primitive', for example everyone butchers pronunciation of all the Chinese words. But the writing is really strong and on point, whereas Yakuza is kind of waffly and overly long.

They really are different games. Yakuza feels more like a movie with all the cutscenes and does a great job at making you feel like a badass. Shenmue feels like an adventure title and more exploration both of the area and discovery of yourself.

Even though I only picked it up for a couple of hours, Shenmue II was really amazing and ahead of its time. It is still very much enjoyable now qualities as the writing and tone stand the test of time. Of course there are some archaic things like when I failed at carrying a bunch of books, I had to wait until the next day in game time to try again.

Playing through it again I can totally see how Shenmue cost so much money and how Yakuza was an attempt to spread out the same costs over a number of titles.

I wish I could experience Shenmue 1 and 2 again. The back end of Shenmue II (especially disk 3 on the Dreamcast version) is just amazing, it amps the action up to 11 with several awesome encounters and one of the best story moments in a game I've experienced.

cackhyena

someone say gif?

6yyt14.gif

Good story

Take advantage of the PS4 hardware. Having played Yakuza 1-5, I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with the PS4.
Um that man should be dead. If he's not dead that's unrealistic preorder canceled.

Jimrpg

I wish I could experience Shenmue 1 and 2 again. The back end of Shenmue II (especially disk 3 on the Dreamcast version) is just amazing, it amps the action up to 11 with several awesome encounters and one of the best story moments in a game I've experienced.

I'm in awe of Yu Suzuki. Game is just fantastic.

So there's been 7 Yakuza games in the west?

Does Sega still need convincing? I dont get it.

I personally believe that if these next round of Yakuza games don't do well, that might be it in the west. If we see sales like Yakuza Dead Souls, Sega may decide not to bother. In the past things have misaligned and Yakuza didn't get the marketing or hype it needed but I'm already sensing that the media is getting behind Yakuza 0 so hopefully it'll do a little better. Yakuza 5 being digital only is a indication that costs were cut, and really only there to not totally lose the dedicated fan base. This is all really just my assumption though so take it with a grain of salt.

StereoVsn

I'm in awe of Yu Suzuki. Game is just fantastic.

I personally believe that if these next round of Yakuza games don't do well, that might be it in the west. If we see sales like Yakuza Dead Souls, Sega may decide not to bother. In the past things have misaligned and Yakuza didn't get the marketing or hype it needed but I'm already sensing that the media is getting behind Yakuza 0 so hopefully it'll do a little better. Yakuza 5 being digital only is a indication that costs were cut, and really only there to not totally lose the dedicated fan base. This is all really just my assumption though so take it with a grain of salt.
Man, Steam port would have helped quite a bit I think but alas that's not in the cards. I am certainly getting the game Day 1 (already played a bit of imported copy) and convinced a few other people to pre-order as well but I firmly believe that Sega had the potential to double Western sales with Steam release.

That's a damn good idea and I would love to be a part of it!

Maybe we could have that picture of Kiryu from Y6 giving the thumbs up instead of Ryo from Shenmue.
Yeah, the thumbs up picture would be aces. Sooo, does anyone have the Photoshop skills to make that happen?

Don't tell me that.
Trust me, I wish I could say it was better or even as good as Yakuza 4 but unfortunately it's not. Though, it seems like they've really nailed that aspect in Yakuza 0, so at least we have that to look forward to.

JPS Kai

Twiddling my thumbs until Hardin graces us with his presence.

Just because I'm reviewing it doesn't mean I won't buy Y0 though. I want that business card case for work.

viHuGi

Banned
Is there any other Yakuza coming to Europe this year lads? i want to buy asap, man saw some videos beautiful just beautiful, even my GF wants to play this!

Is there any other Yakuza coming to Europe this year lads? i want to buy asap, man saw some videos beautiful just beautiful, even my GF wants to play this!

Yes, both Yakuza 0 (January 24th) and Yakuza Kiwami (summer) will be released in EU. Day and date with NA.

Wish Sony would release this game early. Why must it come out the same day as RE7 and KH 2.8? I am still gonna get it but there isn't much else in the 1st half of January why are all these games coming out in the last 2 weeks :/

DigSCCP

I feel so bad for not being able to support this at launch :(
Its been a rough time around here, especially with the currency on Brazil right now, and its just imposible for me to grab it right now :(((
After beating and supporting all Yakuza titles from 1-4 ( not going to lie, 5 I played from PS Plus ) and just going nuts after every localization announcement it just feels off not being party of "Lets make the diference" !
Just wanted to say this thread is an amazing effort and I hope 0 deliveries Sega expectation!
Keep bringin the gifs we need as many people as we can on Yakuza team, guys !

Probably gonna get a Tauriner+

Nah, an iron plate.

I feel so bad for not being able to support this at launch :(
Its been a rough time around here, especially with the currency on Brazil right now, and its just imposible for me to grab it right now :(((
After beating and supporting all Yakuza titles from 1-4 ( not going to lie, 5 I played from PS Plus ) and just going nuts after every localization announcement it just feels off not being party of "Lets make the diference" !
Just wanted to say this thread is an amazing effort and I hope 0 deliveries Sega expectation!
Keep bringin the gifs we need as many people as we can on Yakuza team, guys !
Don't feel bad about it man. Sometimes things just don't go how we want them to. Get the game whenever it's more feasible for you.

Top Bottom