• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

At the end of Chapter 1, Joe said the game started slow but he's invested in the characters and world now, and can see it has soul through all its "lastgen-edness". Hopefully it will continue to grow on him when the game opens up more and get a good score once he reviews it.
Yeah, I tuned in at the last 30 minutes of stream and they seemed to be enjoying themselves. With what AJ said at the end of Chapter 1 I'm hopeful that he'll enjoy the later chapters more.

The chat also was quite positive and really hyped up for the fights.

How jarring would it be to jump from 0 to the original on PS2?

Yakuza series has always seemed like something I would totally be into, but I don't want to get used to everything being a bit more user friendly then jump back into a more antiquated game, thinking I might play 1+2 first.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, I'd like to know who at Sega had the bright idea to give Angry Joe, of all people, a review code. Like, I'm not saying "only give review codes to people who will give you favorable reviews". Far from it. But like, if there's ANYONE I'd be 100% certain would hate Yakuza based on their past reviews/personal taste, it'd be Joe. Joe is very AAA/western-centric, and Yakuza is neither of those things.

How jarring would it be to jump from 0 to the original on PS2?

Yakuza series has always seemed like something I would totally be into, but I don't want to get used to everything being a bit more user friendly then jump back into a more antiquated game, thinking I might play 1+2 first.

Very rough. the gameplay of the first one hasn't aged well, you can't punch/kick chaging direction, you have to face first then attack.

Simple thing that the sequel fixed and it's already worlds better.

If you are into the original, just wait this summer Kiwami, it's remake on PS4

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Joe hating on the game is a shame. it won't affect people in this thread, but he has a large following of a more general audience that could turn the tides for Yakuza 0 if he ends up liking it. If Dark Souls can escape being niche, i think yakuza can, too.

Past

Yeah, I tuned in at the last 30 minutes of stream and they seemed to be enjoying themselves. With what AJ said at the end of Chapter 1 I'm hopeful that he'll enjoy the later chapters more.

The chat also was quite positive and really hyped up for the fights.

The chat at the beginning was unbearable, I had to turn it off. Some of he comments that I saw:

"Wtf is this Japanese shit?"
"Why is Joe playing a PS2 game?"
"Is this a Sleeping Dogs clone?"
"Wow this is such a Sleeping Dogs ripoff"
"GTA has online, it is so much better than this shit"

Menitta

The chat at the beginning was unbearable, I had to turn it off. Some of he comments that I saw:

14fm1ck5pr3siht51vojw9zh2_320x240x53_by_menaria-d9r5set.gif

Sounds about right. Every time I bring up Yakuza to someone who's never played it I always get this contorted face and a reply along the lines of "Isn't that the shitty Japanese GTA clone?". Hurts my soul every time man...

MYeager

Not too surprised Angry Joe might mot like it, it begins with a cutscene, then another cutscene, then some walking, then a tutorial battle, then a cutscene, then karoake, then a cutscene and another cutscene. There's a ton of set up and the first couple of battles aren't the most exciting and you don't have enough money yet to upgrade much.

I mean I play for the story and the punching so it didn't bother me but the pacing will drive some people nuts.

Meanwhile I beat Mr. Shakedown twice and celebrated like it was my birthday

MYeager

Are you sure about that? I have no idea what Zero does, I just assumed it would be the exact same as the last few Yakuza games. Why would they change it? That's a shame if they have changed it.

I'm in chapter 8 so I'm pretty certain.

Wow, that's awful.

But yeah, thankfully the chat was positive when I tuned in. Super hyped for the fights and enjoying the stuff that was happening during the gameplay. I think I only noticed one negative comment in the entire time saying something like "is there any video game in this video game?" during one of the lengthy cutscene, but you'll always get some people who don't like the game, so yeah, whatever.

Apparently there is an item that you can get to see the side quest marks in Y0. Shadow explained it earlier:
But yes. In 0 and Kiwami you can spend your CP points (earned by clearing challenges on the completion list) for various different devices - one of which is an equippable side mission tracker that displays all available side missions on the map.
5 should just display all of them anyway as soon as they open up, no item needed.

Past

Yeah, I have no idea why they took that feature out. It was so useful in Yakuza 5. I hate having to look at a guide while playing. Though I read that there's an item to make the sub-stories question marks appear on your map?

MYeager

Yeah, I have no idea why they took that feature out. It was so useful in Yakuza 5. I hate having to look at a guide while playing. Though I read that there's an item to make the sub-stories question marks appear on your map?

Wouldn't surprise me. There's an item to make noise when you're near telephone cards so maybe it's a CP Shrine reward?

I just try to wander a lot but it bugs me that I might've missed some already.

Here is how Y0 is ranking on amazon UK hot releases chart

it's number 42 in the top 100 best selling items in the video games section on amazon.

kjkjnkjqgyxv.jpg

SephLuis

Just as a warning, the item that shows side quests in the map exists in Zero.

However, I think it's the reward for one side quest. I got the item, but I have no idea which side quest it was.

MYeager

However, I think it's the reward for one side quest. I got the item, but I have no idea which side quest it was.

I just googled it and it's part of mission with multiple choice rewards where you choose from two boxes and I guess I chose wrong, damnit

Zanzura

Skimming through the Angry Joe stream, I'm not surprised the first impressions are negative. Looks like Y0 starts slow, similar to the other recent Yakuza games (3,4,5). When it comes to combat, it looks similar to everyone's first time playing these games, they just mash buttons for the most part until the game punishes them enough or they finally dive into the abilities menu to look up what else they can do. Doesn't help that they're passing the controller between each other, and that they're streaming it. They can't really spend most of the stream diving through the menus to figure out the contextual requirements for heat actions in between all the cutscenes. I did the same thing when it came to combat, just mashing buttons, but eventually took a look through all the moves I could do and tried them out to figure out how to fit them in the flow of combat.

I don't really follow Angry Joe that much, and have only seen a few of his reviews, but I think he'll give it a fair review.

SephLuis

Yeah, as I said, towards the end of stream both the chat and the players were enjoying it. I just hope he doesn't find it off-putting when the game switches to Majima for the first time.

I think Majima is easier to find it interesting as a character.

I just want a pic of Joe's face when he sees a certain guy dancing in one of the clubs.

bigjig

I personally don't care, but he has a huge following that does. His review is going to get at least 1-2 million views on YouTube, this is probably the biggest exposure the series is ever going to get. A low score is going to turn a lot of people away from the series.

Anyway, he just finished chapter 1 and he is starting to like the game a little bit, but still calls it old and antiquated. He is planning to finish the review by next Tuesday so I am not sure how he is going to manage to finish the game by then unless he skips every sub-stories and rush through the story.

While obviously a positive review is the ideal outcome, I feel that a negative review is still MUCH more preferable than absolutely no coverage at all.

Oh darn, your right. I thought it was purchasable. I think you get it as a reward choosing the smaller? of the two boxes in the
Black and White dance of side quest against Miracle Johnson (totally not Michael Jackson!). I forgot he appears in 0, such good side quests.
. At least, I think its the smaller box.

What's the side quest called and which is the correct choice to get the side quest radar? I need to get it asap.

Hmm... The side story I'm thinking of is No.23 Miracle in Maharaja (you need to clear Side Story 12 first for it to unlock) and picking the black present gives you the encounter finder. But I'm getting this off the Japanese wiki so that more sounds like you unlock the item that lets you see enemies on the map and not side stories. I'll continue looking.

*edit* Only other item I can see that comes close is the one you get from clearing the following mission: "Beware of Martha" Side Mission No.13
You get "trouble finder" which might be what you need. Honestly the Japanese wiki is incredibly vague and its been a year+ since I completed 0 so I forget where you get it. This is for Kiryu by the way, no idea about Majima. I stumbled upon almost all the side stories naturally during my 100ish hours of playtime so I never used the item.

aravuus

Hmm... The side story I'm thinking of is No.23 Miracle in Maharaja (you need to clear Side Story 12 first for it to unlock) and picking the black present gives you the encounter finder. But I'm getting this off the Japanese wiki so that more sounds like you unlock the item that lets you see enemies on the map and not side stories. I'll continue looking.

*edit* Only other item I can see that comes close is the one you get from clearing the following mission: "Beware of Martha" Side Mission No.13
You get "trouble finder" which might be what you need. Honestly the Japanese wiki is incredibly vague and its been a year+ since I completed 0 so I forget where you get it. This is for Kiryu by the way, no idea about Majima. I stumbled upon almost all the side stories naturally during my 100ish hours of playtime so I never used the item.

Thanks! That's a good start at the very least.

The way I tend to play games I would also most likely run into more or less every side quest there is, but sometimes the story gets too exciting to spend any time just running around the world in hopes of finding side quests. So something to tell me whether or not there even is anything to do at the time would be a great help.

Raybunny

After the mild shitstorm regarding the switch I got a lot of spare change for Yakuza 0. Cannot wait to enter on this franchise with this title. The Op is well done.

Thanks! That's a good start at the very least.

The way I tend to play games I would also most likely run into more or less every side quest there is, but sometimes the story gets too exciting to spend any time just running around the world in hopes of finding side quests. So something to tell me whether or not there even is anything to do at the time would be a great help.

Yeah, that's totally understandable. I had the same issue when I played through Yakuza 6 - the game really wants you to focus on the story later in the game, so I basically put all side stuff on hold for the time being and just completed the story. Now I've probably still got half the game to experience in terms of side stuff!

MYeager

That's the one. The other mission with the trouble finder I believe is the item that gives warning of nearby random encounter fights.

Does Kiwami offer more than simply upgraded graphics? What about the combat? Or just the gameplay in general? Is it more Super Mario All-Stars or Resident Evil REmake?

Does Kiwami offer more than simply upgraded graphics? What about the combat? Or just the gameplay in general? Is it more Super Mario All-Stars or Resident Evil REmake?

More like REmake.

You get:

New story scenes and a few existing scenes are extended (like the first appearance of Majima in chapter 1).

Speaking of Majima, the Majima anywhere system means you'll meet him loads of times in Kiwami (in some rather strange encounters) to power up your Dragon of Dojima fighting style.

Combat is lifted from Yakuza 0. So the combat is way more fluid compared to the original release of Yakuza 1, you get more moves, more fighting styles (you get all 4 fighting styles from Yakuza 0).

Generally, the game controls better - especially for combat. Lock on works better in this game, and the camera is far more reliable.

Many more mini games to play - Yakuza 1 only had a couple of mini games, which this one includes far more to enjoy, including Pocket Fighter Racing tournaments, bowling, karaoke, Mah Jong & Shogi. Basically all the main stay mini games. Arcade kinda sucks though compared to how great it is in 0 (at least 6 fixed that).

More side missions (mainly tied to the new play spots added) plus a couple that tie into 0.

So basically they take 0 as a base, then chuck 1's story into the game (while fleshing out a few character arcs while they are at it).

Top Bottom