• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

TehOh

Play whatever Yakuza you can get your hands on. If Yakuza 5 is your only option, play that and play as much as you need to, because Yakuza Kiwami is coming in Summer 2017. As with all Yakuza games, play as much or as little of them as you want. Doing just the story in 5 will be about 45 hours, doing everything might be 100+. If you don't have time for a long game, Yakuza 4 is about 20-25 hours for the story alone. Yakuza 4 is my favourite followed closely by Yakuza 1.

As mentioned, either wait for Kiwami or play Y4 (digital on PSN, on sale often, ex-PS+) before Y5. You can always come back to Y4 and Y5 after Kiwami in prep for Y6.

Thanks for the advice!

I haven't gotten to play quite as much as I'd have liked so far (I have a day job, and just do occasional reviews), but I am totally in love with it. I've always wanted to try the series, but just never got around to it before this.

Past

Angry Joe is completely destroying the game, the 3k+ viewers on stream are also destroying the game. This is not good. It doesn't look like he will bother finishing the game for review either as he is still really early in the game and is already completely bored. I am not expecting anything more than a 3/10 from him.

Tailzo

Angry Joe is completely destroying the game, the 3k+ viewers on stream are also destroying the game. This is not good. It doesn't look like he will bother finishing the game for review either as he is still really early in the game and is already completely bored. I am not expecting anything more than a 3/10 from him.

Wait... Maybe I shouldn't have been so happy after all :(

I tuned in to him blasting the "10 year old game design". Welp.

Simo

For those interested on Angry Joe's thoughts so far and it's his and Other Joe's first Yakuza game: they're interested in the story but feel the gameplay so far is repetitive and feels dated from something 10 to 20 years ago. They're also not too crazy half the game seems voiced and the other half no VO.

EDIT: welp, beaten. Lol

danowat

Banned
Meh, he said Mafia 3 was one of the worst games of 2016, so I don't really rate his opinion of late that highly.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Having only played Y1-3, they are all pretty equally the same ranking. Every single one of them had stories that are padded out well beyond their means with pacing that often conflicted with my engagement. Some great moments for sure in each, but a tight 5-6 hour narrative ballooned to 20+ hours kind of eventually pushed me away from the series(far more if you engage with the sidequests).

Though of those three, Yakuza 2 definitely had the most interesting villain, setting, and cast of side characters and would top my ranking. It got stupid at the end, but its no contest that it shines brighter than 1 or 2.

The first game fell into predictable(and illogical) tropes, which is saying a lot for Yakuza! It was novel for the time, but I really don't think it holds up at all beyond the great opening act.

Yakuza 3 just kind of was ok. Though the shift to PS3 was wonderful for the game design and getting a glimpse of the cast a few years on was nice. The plot and villains were regrettably forgettable. I actually can't believe there are three more games(and a prequel) beyond Y3!

One day I might try Y4 if only because it shifts away from Kiryu somewhat(and after three bloated games, I really grew bored of him).

Tailzo

If his opinion mirrors most people, maybe a 75 MC rating was too positive after all? Let's hope for the best though :)

Go Yakuza 0!

SephLuis

For those interested on Angry Joe's thoughts so far and it's his and Other Joe's first Yakuza game: they're interested in the story but feel the gameplay so far is repetitive and feels dated from something 10 to 20 years ago. They're also not too crazy half the game seems voiced and the other half no VO.

EDIT: welp, beaten. Lol

The thing with Yakuza is that the combat system, at the beginning, is extremely basic so that people can get used to it. As you progress, there's much more attacks, systems and nuances in it that make the whole game more interesting.

I surely hope he at least finishes the game to review it.

Going by the majority of previews, I think the MC of this game might be quite high (around 85)

danowat

Banned
Ah yes, I remember game design from 10-20 years ago. Those awful times where games weren't trying so hard to be movies.
This is actually an interesting point.

Has games design moved on so much that the statement 'game design from 10-20 years ago' is so derogatory?

There are certainly some negative aspects in Yakuza games and their design. But the good parts in these games (especially in Y0) waaaaaay out weights the bad. I just hope these YouTubers don't become laser focused on the bad parts and completely ignore all the good things that are in these games.

Peroroncino

Shiiiiit. If he won't even bother investing in combat system abilities and exploring heat moves then I don't see him enojying it at all if this is his current opinion.

yah i love yakuza but some of the proselytizing as of late has overlooked it's an iterative series that is still largely constructed on a ps2-era design philosophy. it won't go over well with quite a lot of people who are used to the quality of life improvements that exist in modern games.

I always regret not playing Yakuza 1 and 2 on the PS2, not sure why I didn't get around to playing them really but I've made up for it since then. I brought 3 as an impulse buy, just because I heard they were good games and I was hooked from then. I then got 4 and 5 as they came out (I paid for 5 to support the series, didn't wait for PS+)

Cannot wait to get 0 when it comes out shortly and really looking forward to Kiwami, with me not playing the original. Hope Kiwami 2 is on the cards after, so I can play the 2nd game too.
What region was 5 on PS plus? I don't think I've missed a month and don't remember seeing it

Moze

Banned
I don't think Angry Joe is a good way to gauge critical opinion of the game. He was on here calling Mafia 3 an amazing game before launch. He then included it on his worst games of the year list 2 months later.

Every Angry Joe review I have seen has gameplay of him streaming his playthrough and constantly shouting. Is that how he reviews games?

Fjordson

yah i love yakuza but some of the proselytizing as of late has overlooked it's an iterative series that is still largely constructed on a ps2-era design philosophy. it won't go over well with quite a lot of people who are used to the quality of life improvements that exist in modern games.
Agreed tbh.

I love love love Yakuza, but there are still some quirks that won't jive with everyone these days.

Has Yakuza implemented an easy way to find and track side quests? I remember having always not wanting to progress cause I'd fear missing a sidequest. And often times I wouldn't know where to look to complete them.

Who cares about one person's opinion? If he hates it he hates it.

It's not making me want the game any less

Moze

Banned
Has Yakuza implemented an easy way to find and track side quests? I remember having always not wanting to progress cause I'd fear missing a sidequest. And often times I wouldn't know where to look to complete them.

They fixed that from Dead Souls onwards. A question mark now appears on the map for side quests.

They fixed that from Dead Souls onwards. A question mark now appears on the map for side quests.

Okay, the last Yakuza game I played was 4. And the one thing I always disliked about the games is that after every main story quest I would scour every alley in Kamurocho to see if it triggered a new side quest.

After Yakuza 3 they stopped making missable side quests. Any you didn't do in the main game could be done in premium adventure mode (the same is true for 3 as well, but some quests are failable/missable if my memory serves me correct).

But yes. In 0 and Kiwami you can spend your CP points (earned by clearing challenges on the completion list) for various different devices - one of which is an equippable side mission tracker that displays all available side missions on the map.
5 should just display all of them anyway as soon as they open up, no item needed.

Simo

I don't think Angry Joe is a good way to gauge critical opinion of the game. He was on here calling Mafia 3 an amazing game before launch. He then included it on his worst games of the year list 2 months later.

Every Angry Joe review I have seen has gameplay of him streaming his playthrough and constantly shouting. Is that how he reviews games?

Eh he was critical of Mafia 3. He posted saying the opening hours were enjoyable and was enjoying the side activities but was worried about the games repetition. He then came back to say his fears were realized and he felt like for him personally it'd be like a 5-7 game, he rated it a 6.

I probably shouldn't of watched the stream though. No fault of Joe or anything but the opening hours are just dull and boring. I think out of the 3 hours he's been streaming there's been about 30 minutes of gameplay consisting of fighting goons for a minute and then going to a phone booth. Kinda turned me off from the game and put the excitement at zero. No pun intended.

Maybe it's just not for me anymore. I remember playing and enjoying the first game but that was so long ago and with the backlog of last fall's titles I've got...I dunno maybe I'll get it down the road when it's cheap but I said the same thing about Yakuza 2 and never got it...lol

Wonko_C

At the end of Chapter 1, Joe said the game started slow but he's invested in the characters and world now, and can see it has soul through all its "lastgen-edness". Hopefully it will continue to grow on him when the game opens up more and get a good score once he reviews it.

Is there a PS4 Yakuza in the works?

The first PS4-only Yakuza was actually released last december in Japan.

Nielm

Hmm, the story/characters have grabbed me more than I anticipated. I think I will definitely buy it.

The voice acting/general quality of the cutscenes in particular.

How was yakuza 5? Last game i played in the series was 4, loved it.

5 is kinda meh. It's like 4 but too much... New characters are not as interesting, returning as are not used as well, pacing is all over the place. It has it BRILLANT moments and some crazy stuff (Heat move in taxi races, bear hunting and kicking in the nut in snow mountains) but it drags on.

Just jump to Zero. Prequel, focus on 2 characters, amazing feedback from import thread and western previews.

Past

Who cares about one person's opinion? If he hates it he hates it.

It's not making me want the game any less

I personally don't care, but he has a huge following that does. His review is going to get at least 1-2 million views on YouTube, this is probably the biggest exposure the series is ever going to get. A low score is going to turn a lot of people away from the series.

Anyway, he just finished chapter 1 and he is starting to like the game a little bit, but still calls it old and antiquated. He is planning to finish the review by next Tuesday so I am not sure how he is going to manage to finish the game by then unless he skips every sub-stories and rush through the story.

Top Bottom