• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

Jimrpg

Not like this it hasn't. Sure there's been cutscenes into dialog progression scenes but Yakuza Zero adds these really weird scenes that aren't lip synced but the back grounds are animated and are washed out. I believe it's an intentional artistic direction to differentiate specific memories as important but it's awkward as hell. I've played all the Yakua games aside from 6 and that's not in any other titles. It's not a big thing but it's a bit off-putting.

Man I replayed Y1 and the VA after so many other games drove me nuts it was so wooden. It also had a lot of 'Find Haruka again' moments. Remember finding dog food because she wouldn't move otherwise? I'm in chapter 8 and so far there's a lot of moments where introduction to side content drags out the story but so far the plot moves forward at a better clip despite how long it is than some of the other titles. Not as many boss battles so far. The pacing is still slow compared to games that are constantly moving forward but there's less that feels like filler compared to 5.

I didn't know about that. That's interesting about those non lip-synced scenes. I'm looking forward to checking that out.

I haven't played Y1 since it released, but I remember enjoying the VA a lot, and when I go back to listen to it through Youtube clips, it reminds me of that early VA era where they were still figuring a lot of things out with the VA. You could literally feel like they were recording the lines seperately in a recording studio. I went back to play Shenmue 2and all the chinese words were pronounced differently from character to character but it didn't grate on me. It was just part of the 'charm'.

I do remember the find Haruka moments. Those weren't great! The worse gameplay offences have got to be the ones where there's suddenly no instruction on where to go next and you basically have to wander around yourself or look up a guide. I get that they wanted you to explore a bit I guess.

Kiwami isn't a terrible game at all, and I really enjoyed the Majima Anywhere feature (at first anyway), but I really don't rate the story. This is at least partly due to how horribly they bastardise two of my favourite characters from Zero. Fuck the characters and their motivations in Kiwami.

Maybe this one is just a unique criticism due to playing Zero as my first Yakuza game and loving the heck out of it.

Out of interest, which characters? I have a feeling that one of them might be
Nishiki?
. If so I thought Kiwami did a good job filling in the holes in his plot detailing
his decent to villainy well. It was never really explained in the original and 0 didn't really show that side of him at all - it'd have been better if they'd have at least hinted at his jealousy of Kiryu in that game. Then again that would have worked better if Yumi wouldn't have been completely absent in 0, which was a bizarre exclusion

IrishNinja

I'll always love 5 because that game gave us Taxi Heat Moves.

giphy.gif

how awesome? so awesome

danowat

Banned
Have'nt read the entire thread, but I read the OP, and I can't find an answer.

Is this physical only?, or will there be a PSN download aswell?

Have'nt read the entire thread, but I read the OP, and I can't find an answer.

Is this physical only?, or will there be a PSN download aswell?
Both. Nowadays almost every new game is available digitally on PSN so that's not an issue.

The game is also getting a worldwide Physical release. (Except Japan and Hong Kong since it was already released over a year ago in those regions)

danowat

Banned
Both. Nowadays almost every new game is available digitally on PSN so that's not an issue.

The game is also getting a worldwide Physical release. (Except Japan and Hong Kong since it was already released over a year ago in those regions)

Thanks, not sure whether to go digital or physical then.....depends on the price of the PSN version, anything been said about a digital preorder?

Thanks, not sure whether to go digital or physical then.....depends on the price of the PSN version, anything been said about a digital preorder?

The pre-order is already up on US PSN but I don't think it's up on EU PSN though. It's a full retail release so expect the full 60$ or equivalent for your region. You can check the pre-order page and whatever is the usual pre-order price will most likely be the price for this game too.

The digital preorder comes with a static theme. It's nice but nothing too fancy.
If you pre-order a physical version in the US, you get a dope ass business card holder for free!

EDIT: The filesize is 22.1 GB according to the Hong Kong PSN, if that is a factor in any way.

That's great, you are in for a real treat :)

Do remember to pop on by the OT that'll be up by the time of the game's release should you have any questions! There's also a Yakuza Community thread if you have any questions right now.

Wait, you liked DeadSouls more than all other spin offs? :)

aww yeah! (because i really haven't played them alot at all, just some chapters in but playing them with a guide hampered my enjoyment)

problem with kiwami is that it's just a refresh and doesn't often much new aside from story updates. but it's a good follow up for folks new to the series after zero.

for folks that have been playing since the dawn of yakuza, kiwami is pretty eh, but if you're new, you'll enjoy its continuation from zero.

Pfff, i can't wait to finally play the first game in japanese and with all newfangled gameplay enhancements! It's been 10 years since i played it, really want to see Nishiki again.

I can respect that. I do wish Sega translated Ishin instead of Dead Souls though.

Yep, and i could have bet money that Sega would have localized Ishin for the PS4.

I mean, it was the early days of the PS4 and not a lot of games were available in general, let alone beat-em-up's or samurai games :p I bet it would have made bank as it didn't have a number attached to it so even new players would have found the barrier of entry lower.

Xliskin

The pre-order is up on US PSN but I believe it's still not up on EU PSN for some reason.

It's not on EU PSN yet. Sometimes stuff doesn't go up until late/launch.

We follow the EU region so that's why , I'll be waiting for psn version

I can respect that. I do wish Sega translated Ishin instead of Dead Souls though.

Our only chance is Nioh if it recieved well in the west they might translate Ishin

PaulLFC

Going to pre-order this as soon as it's available on UK PSN - I keep checking every couple of days but nothing yet.

I really hope Yakuza 1 and 2 are added as PS2 classics at some point if we can't get the PS3 HD versions translated.

Yakuza 2 is the only game I'm missing from the series, but second hand prices are ridiculous here (£60 at minimum). Strangely enough the first game is much more reasonably priced and more widely available - I assume they shipped more copies when it released?

TehOh

I'm reviewing Yakuza 0 right now. It's actually my first Yakuza game and I *really* like it.

Kamurocho feels like an actual living and breathing setting. The graphics aren't amazing at a technical level, but the sheer detail bowls me over - like walking into a convenience store and seeing distinct brands of ramen. The fighting is fun. Even the writing is fun. The dialogue is really clever in places.

So, I'm a convert now. I have Yakuza 5 from when it was free on PS+. Should I play that next, or is there a particular one I should check out? (not that I'm anywhere close to the end of Y0)

I'm reviewing Yakuza 0 right now. It's actually my first Yakuza game and I *really* like it.

Kamurocho feels like an actual living and breathing setting. The graphics aren't amazing at a technical level, but the sheer detail bowls me over - like walking into a convenience store and seeing distinct brands of ramen. The fighting is fun. Even the writing is fun. The dialogue is really clever in places.

So, I'm a convert now. I have Yakuza 5 from when it was free on PS+. Should I play that next, or is there a particular one I should check out? (not that I'm anywhere close to the end of Y0)
My advice would be to wait for Yakuza: Kiwami which is coming out this summer. It's a remake of the very first Yakuza and it'll be an awesome experience if you've already played 0.

Yakuza 6 is coming out next year too.

You can play Yakuza 5 but you'll feel quite lost I think. If you're gonna start anywhere, start from Y4 and then play Y5.

Be warned though that Yakuza 5 is as MASSIVE game. We're talking multiple cities, multiple protagonists, A chapter for each character (only 2 characters share a chapter) and a finale and this isn't even including the side stories and substories and all the optional side-content.

Going to pre-order this as soon as it's available on UK PSN - I keep checking every couple of days but nothing yet.

I really hope Yakuza 1 and 2 are added as PS2 classics at some point if we can't get the PS3 HD versions translated.

Yakuza 2 is the only game I'm missing from the series, but second hand prices are ridiculous here (£60 at minimum). Strangely enough the first game is much more reasonably priced and more widely available - I assume they shipped more copies when it released?

Over here the 2nd game was released after the PS3 was released (in Europe), so it was released in smaller numbers I'd bet (same with the USA).

As for re-releasing the original PS2 version of Yakuza, I doubt that would happen. They are already translating the PS4 remake of Yakuza 1 for release this year so I can't see why they'd want to release a technically inferior version of the same game in the same year.

TehOh

My advice would be to wait for Yakuza: Kiwami which is coming out this summer. It's a remake of the very first Yakuza and it'll be an awesome experience if you've already played 0.

Yakuza 6 is coming out next year too.

You can play Yakuza 5 but you'll feel quite lost I think. If you're gonna start anywhere, start from Y4 and then play Y5.

Be warned though that Yakuza 5 is as MASSIVE game. We're talking multiple cities, multiple protagonists, A chapter for each character (only 2 characters share a chapter) and a finale and this isn't even including the side stories and substories and all the optional side-content.

Cool! I'll probably wait for Kiwami. Enough other games to play too.

PaulLFC

Over here the 2nd game was released after the PS3 was released (in Europe), so it was released in smaller numbers I'd bet (same with the USA).

As for re-releasing the original PS2 version of Yakuza, I doubt that would happen. They are already translating the PS4 remake of Yakuza 1 for release this year so I can't see why they'd want to release a technically inferior version of the same game in the same year.
That makes sense. It's just a shame there's no easy way here to play the second game in the series if you don't already own a copy. It's either pay a huge amount second hand (and hope the disc is in good condition), or hope they either translate 1&2 HD eventually (very doubtful) or make the second game a "PS2 classics on PS4" title. The PS2 option would be easiest for them since it's already translated. Still don't expect them to do so but it'd be nice.

That makes sense. It's just a shame there's no easy way here to play the second game in the series if you don't already own a copy. It's either pay a huge amount second hand (and hope the disc is in good condition), or hope they either translate 1&2 HD eventually (very doubtful) or make the second game a "PS2 classics on PS4" title. The PS2 option would be easiest for them since it's already translated. Still don't expect them to do so but it'd be nice.

You left out one of the more likely options - remake the second game on the PS4. It'd be really strange if 2 (which is often regarded as the best in the series, not sure if that is also the case in Japan as well) never gets remade and stays on the old PS2 game engine forever. Seems like a pretty obvious move on the teams part for a quick release this year. Hopefully something will be announced by the time TGS rolls around in September.

I'm also hoping the rest of the series (3-5) get remade on the PS4 as well, nothing to major needs doing on them, just give the games a res boost to 1080p (3 and 4 are sub HD on the PS3), improve the textures (especially on 5, as it looks pretty ropey in places) and make them 60 FPS. It'd be wonderful. Or just release the series onto the PC/Steam.

You left out one of the more likely options - remake the second game on the PS4. It'd be really strange if 2 (which is often regarded as the best in the series, not sure if that is also the case in Japan as well) never gets remade and stays on the old PS2 game engine forever. Seems like a pretty obvious move on the teams part for a quick release this year. Hopefully something will be announced by the time TGS rolls around in September.

yeah i definitely smell a Kiwami 2 announcement coming at TGS :D Then the whole series would be up to modern standards.

Jimrpg

I can't believe how many people are in this thread and have review copies. Should we all (at least people like Irish, Son of Sparda, ZeroX03, Shadowman16, Oneida, Lucebruce12 (did I miss anyone)) get copies for promoting the shit out of this game? Jealous! :) (in a good way).

Play whatever Yakuza you can get your hands on. If Yakuza 5 is your only option, play that and play as much as you need to, because Yakuza Kiwami is coming in Summer 2017. As with all Yakuza games, play as much or as little of them as you want. Doing just the story in 5 will be about 45 hours, doing everything might be 100+. If you don't have time for a long game, Yakuza 4 is about 20-25 hours for the story alone. Yakuza 4 is my favourite followed closely by Yakuza 1.

ZeroX03

Banned
Kiwami 2 + 3/4/5 remaster/port is all we really need. Series nice and complete on PS4.

As mentioned, either wait for Kiwami or play Y4 (digital on PSN, on sale often, ex-PS+) before Y5. You can always come back to Y4 and Y5 after Kiwami in prep for Y6.

Jimrpg

I don't think anyone would be terribly lost though. Kaz starts in a new city at the beginning of Yakuza 5. By the time you get to Saejima you're 10 hours in anyway.

Yakuza 4 is a better game though if you can get your hands on it. The pacing is better, Yakuza 5 is really slow in some spots.

yeah i definitely smell a Kiwami 2 announcement coming at TGS :D Then the whole series would be up to modern standards.

If Zero gets 300-400k copies sold in the west (3-4 times previous highest number of copies) then Kiwami 2 would be nailed on to get developed. Tell all your friends to buy Zero first.

ZeroX03

Banned
If Zero gets 300-400k copies sold in the west (3-4 times previous highest number of copies) then Kiwami 2 would be nailed on to get developed. Tell all your friends to buy Zero first.

Oh we both know it won't sell that much. like 150k+ would be a triumph and make it the best selling yet. I don't think Western sales matter for Kiwami 2 development, it would've already started. We just need the sales to stay strong to ensure localization. Especially of Kiwami 1.

If the pattern from the last two gens holds up, Zero should sell 50k+ in the US at least. Physical, marketing and new gen. But boy the launch window is crowded.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I don't think anyone would be terribly lost though. Kaz starts in a new city at the beginning of Yakuza 5. By the time you get to Saejima you're 10 hours in anyway
really there is no reason to play 5 without having played 4. 4 is basically Saejima & Akiyama's story anyway, Tanimura and Kiryu just get roped in. 5 barely bothers to mention what happened to Saejima.

Jimrpg

Oh we both know it won't sell that much. like 150k+ would be a triumph and make it the best selling yet. I don't think Western sales matter for Kiwami 2 development, it would've already started. We just need the sales to stay strong to ensure localization. Especially of Kiwami 1.

If the pattern from the last two gens holds up, Zero should sell 50k+ in the US at least. Physical, marketing and new gen. But boy the launch window is crowded.

Well I'm quietly confident, Zero will at the very least be the highest selling Yakuza game in the west. Whether that's 100k or 300k - its really hard to say. But I've been kind of impressed by just how many people have entered this thread, and the awesome gaffers who have bumped it everyday.

Secondly Nagoshi says there's 100k western players, lets all hope they go out there and get this thing.

Thirdly Yakuza 5 would surely have been the worst selling title in the series, seeing as it was digital only and late in the PS3's life. People may come back to the series because they've always wanted to try it but couldn't.

Finally John Hardin mentioned it was the most requested game for review at Atlus yet, so its going to get a lot of coverage. Plus there's been plenty of big name people streaming or going to stream it like, Angry Joe, Easy Allies, Giant Bomb. And while it might be crazy to release it in the same week as Resident Evil 7, who knows, it might just be crazy enough that RE 5million strong fanbase also see great reviews for Zero and get the game too.

You're right though that Kiwami 2 doesn't need Zero western sales, but at the same time, I get the feeling that sales in Japan are waning and really the west need to pick up some of the slack!

ZeroX03

Banned
Well I'm quietly confident, Zero will at the very least be the highest selling Yakuza game in the west. Whether that's 100k or 300k - its really hard to say. But I've been kind of impressed by just how many people have entered this thread, and the awesome gaffers who have bumped it everyday.

Secondly Nagoshi says there's 100k western players, lets all hope they go out there and get this thing.

Thirdly Yakuza 5 would surely have been the worst selling title in the series, seeing as it was digital only and late in the PS3's life. People may come back to the series because they've always wanted to try it but couldn't.

Finally John Hardin mentioned it was the most requested game for review at Atlus yet, so its going to get a lot of coverage. Plus there's been plenty of big name people streaming or going to stream it like, Angry Joe, Easy Allies, Giant Bomb. And while it might be crazy to release it in the same week as Resident Evil 7, who knows, it might just be crazy enough that RE 5million strong fanbase also see great reviews for Zero and get the game too.

You're right though that Kiwami 2 doesn't need Zero western sales, but at the same time, I get the feeling that sales in Japan are waning and really the west need to pick up some of the slack!

Don't ever use GAF as a barometer of a game's popularity. Rookie mistake. We're the outliers. Good to hear about so many requests for review and youtubers covering it though. That'll certainly help.

(If we count PS+ as sales, I'm pretty sure Dead Souls is the worst selling not Y5. Even then... Dead Souls sold so poorly I could still see Y5 selling more.)

The series as a whole is winding down. Asia picked up the slack enough to keep things going. I really don't think the West will affect any future title development shy of it selling like 300k+ copies. We should just hope to keep things at pace for continued localization.

Jimrpg

really there is no reason to play 5 without having played 4. 4 is basically Saejima & Akiyama's story anyway, Tanimura and Kiryu just get roped in. 5 barely bothers to mention what happened to Saejima.

But you could play 5 and still make out roughly what's going on. You might not know who Saejima is, but would it really matter? Nothing in 5 demands knowledge from 4. Minor Spoiler from here on in but
Saejima goes to prison and its basically self contained from there. After that its Haruka's turn and that's completely fresh. Akiyama rocks up but he is largely inconsequential, and then Shinada takes over. At no point is any knowledge from 4 required, though Akiyama and Saejima return but they don't carry any story points over from 4.

If you're arguing whether its preferential to play 4, yeah it probably is, if you are a big fan of the series and want to know a good starting point, then people should play 4 and then 5. I just wanted to make the point that its possible to play 5 and not be too lost with regards to the story. :)

Jimrpg

Don't ever use GAF as a barometer of a game's popularity. Rookie mistake. We're the outliers. Good to hear about so many requests for review and youtubers covering it though. That'll certainly help.

(If we count PS+ as sales, I'm pretty sure Dead Souls is the worst selling not Y5. Even then... Dead Souls sold so poorly I could still see Y5 selling more.)

The series as a whole is winding down. Asia picked up the slack enough to keep things going. I really don't think the West will affect any future title development shy of it selling like 300k+ copies. We should just hope to keep things at pace for continued localization.

Yakuza fans on GAF, outliers of outliers. How sad is that....

And Zero selling 50k in the US would make me weep. There really wouldn't be much hope for the series if that was the case. That would only just get us a localization, and maybe only digital from here on out.

Man, I really need to spend more time in this thread. Yakuza is probably my favorite series - and to say I'm excited for Zero would be an insulting understatement. Despite the 50+ hours I've poured into the Japanese version, I cannot WAIT to do it all again.

I'm extremely confident in this game, and am thrilled to see so many publicists get their hands on the game. Not only that, but the reception from both fans of the series, and newcomers alike, have been very positive also.

It's never been a better time to be a fan of the Yakuza series, and I wish it all the best when it drops in just 12 days from now.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yakuza fans on GAF, outliers of outliers. How sad is that....

And Zero selling 50k in the US would make me weep. There really wouldn't be much hope for the series if that was the case. That would only just get us a localization, and maybe only digital from here on out.

No, 50k in the US would put it on par with Y1 and Y3. US doesn't equal entire Western sales, it's only half. Europe.

Again, abandon any thoughts of the West being the hope for Yakuza's survival as a whole. The series will probably come to an end naturally with or without us. We just need to stay strong enough to localize whatever they offer.

Edit - also just don't worry too much about sales overall. We're probably not going to get the total sales. We'll get NPD and Europe charts, but that won't paint the full picture, especially for a series that's already in niche sales territory (so while an extra 50k sales is huge for the series, it might still not hit top 20 or whatever). They've also focused on growing the series digitally and that won't be represented in the numbers where it's likely to be a good chunk. Basically just relax, spread the good word and don't get too worried about things beyond that.

I always regret not playing Yakuza 1 and 2 on the PS2, not sure why I didn't get around to playing them really but I've made up for it since then. I brought 3 as an impulse buy, just because I heard they were good games and I was hooked from then. I then got 4 and 5 as they came out (I paid for 5 to support the series, didn't wait for PS+)

Cannot wait to get 0 when it comes out shortly and really looking forward to Kiwami, with me not playing the original. Hope Kiwami 2 is on the cards after, so I can play the 2nd game too.

Top Bottom