• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

ZeroX03

Banned
It is...not a great game. I know in the period between it coming out and 5 finally being announced for localization, some people thought Sega localized it solely so they could point to it's inevitable failure as proof that Yakuza didn't sell in the west and justify no longer localizing the series. And for a while it looked like that was exactly what was happening.

That might be the stupidest theory I've heard in a long time. A company doesn't need to localize a game to justify to itself that it doesn't need to being any more over while losing a bunch of money. Who in their right mind would think that?

I hope the OT title is fun/informative

"Yes, you can start with this one"

Yep

That's exactly what I want it to be! I mentioned it in another thread

Taken from the Community thread..

Literally every thread about Yakuza 0 has someone ask 'is it okay to start with this one?'
It would be irresponsible to not have the OT title allude to the fact that yes, you can start here.
i am 100% telling you that yes, monday the 23rd, after i go hustle my local GS for a poster that OT will go up & that will indeed be the title

speaking of, still need to hit up parakeetman about using his thread's graphics, thinking i'll use some of sparda's gameplay writeup from the starter thread and that should be the bulk of it
That might be the stupidest theory I've heard in a long time. A company doesn't need to localize a game to justify to itself that it doesn't need to being any more over while losing a bunch of money. Who in their right mind would think that?
"You know, punching yourself in the face REALLY hurts!"

*punches self*

"see? I'll show you again."

*Punches self*

"Still don't believe me?"

*Punches self*

Past

It is...not a great game. I know in the period between it coming out and 5 finally being announced for localization, some people thought Sega localized it solely so they could point to it's inevitable failure as proof that Yakuza didn't sell in the west and justify no longer localizing the series. And for a while it looked like that was exactly what was happening.

Eh, I doubt that. They probably thought the game would sell decently because zombies were huge back then, plus it had guns.

Alchemist

Decided to pre-order this instead of Resident Evil. I've always been intrigued by the Yakuza franchise but never really knew where to start. This being my introduction to the series, I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Decided to pre-order this instead of Resident Evil. I've always been intrigued by the Yakuza franchise but never really knew where to start. This being my introduction to the series, I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Compulsory.
9NHJtuGha.gif

SephLuis

+1

I'm honestly awaiting the OT as much as I was awaiting the game =)

Slaythe

You know what, since KH 3D and 0.2 are complete vomit (gameplay wise, not that the story is any better) and i'm quadruple dipping for 2.5 on ps4, i'm probably gonna get this instead.

It looks so insane on every level, I need it.

One question though, can you customize the main characters ? (clothes, hair.. ?)

Jimrpg

Just watched 5 mins of the Angry Joe stream.

1. I think he's enjoying it. I don't have the volume up but he seems keen on it.
2. Game looks fantastic and a huge step up from Yakuza 5.
3. Combat looks way better than 5.

Sorry didn't notice this earlier.
You know what, since KH 3D and 0.2 are complete vomit (gameplay wise, not that the story is any better) and i'm quadruple dipping for 2.5 on ps4, i'm probably gonna get this instead.

It looks so insane on every level, I need it.

One question though, can you customize the main characters ? (clothes, hair.. ?)

You can't customize your look. You will get a few designed costumes later on (after beating the game most likely) but you can't do individual customization.

Skeeter49

Stream wise he probably chose a bad place to start, at the beginning of Chapter 3, and from my limited knowledge of Yakuza, the beginning of chapters are usually story heavy, so if you're also trying to be vocal to the chat, that might become difficult.
I wonder if he'll even get the game done by embargo, let alone meet his review schedule he set.

Stream wise he probably chose a bad place to start, at the beginning of Chapter 3, and from my limited knowledge of Yakuza, the beginning of chapters are usually story heavy, so if you're also trying to be vocal to the chat, that might become difficult.
I wonder if he'll even get the game done by embargo, let alone meet his review schedule he set.
Apparently he's been playing the game for the past 6 hours!

Menitta

Yeah, in the beginning of his stream he and other Joe seemed quite bored. Like part of Majima's tutorial is
literally avoiding a fight lol.

It did seem to ramp up after a while though. He went nuts over
Dancer
Style

Slaythe

Sorry didn't notice this earlier.

You can't customize your look. You will get a few designed costumes later on (after beating the game most likely) but you can't do individual customization.

Thanks for the answer !

Shame that you can't, but i'll still get it.

I remember playing a yakuza on ps2 but my disc was in bad shape and I couldn't finish it.

Refused to buy ps3 games that late now that I play on ps4.

So I'm gonna get this :) .

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Eh, I doubt that. They probably thought the game would sell decently because zombies were huge back then, plus it had guns.

Keep in mind I ain't saying they were right. I'm just saying for a while there, I couldn't blame them for thinking that. Remember, those couple of years when Yakuza 5 was in limbo and it looked like the series was dead in the west were...pretty rough on the fanbase. People kinda started going crazy. :lol

Like, shit, as a fan of both Yakuza and Miku, I'm glad Yakuza is being consistently localized now just so I can stop hearing the "Oh you'll localize Miku but not Yakuza?!" protests from the fanbase. Y'know, despite the fact that Miku games are far, FAR smaller undertakings than Yakuza when it comes to localization. Like I said, people were crazy back then.

ar4757

You know what, since KH 3D and 0.2 are complete vomit (gameplay wise

I canceled my preorder for 2.8 just because I feel it's overpriced, but have you played 0.2 and still feel the gameplay sucks? It looked pretty awesome to me... I hear 3D was wonky thought but I was looking forward to Aqua in 0.2

Jimrpg

I mean this thread alone has reached 33 pages
(Yakuza 4's entire OT is only 35 pages long)
so you know the OT for this game is gonna be amazing :)

I did a VERY rough estimate a couple of days ago and there were at least ~300 unique people who posted in this thread. A lot of people who are getting into the series for the first time too.

aravuus

I did a VERY rough estimate a couple of days ago and there were at least ~300 unique people who posted in this thread. A lot of people who are getting into the series for the first time too.

Looks like there's over 500 (511 to be specific), going by the amount of row elements in the "who posted" list.

I actually did the same thing last night. Over 500 people have posted in this thread!

Edit: Beaten lol

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Between this, RE7 and DQ7 on 3DS... I'll probably be traveling with both my 3DS and PS4 for awhile. T_T

Tizoc

Middle East GAF
The retail copy should be out in the wild.

Gonna see if I can grab the lone $75 US SE copy my local shop had later today @_@

Finally finished Yakuza 5, man what a slog :D but still wanted to get the Itansha decal and finish some sidestuff.

Haruka/Akiyama and Shinada chapters really brought the story to a grinding halt and took way too long to wrap up. Also the final chapter "reveals" were lame and again the threat of firearms and someone getting shot is starting to be really recycled :D

Combat was mostly frustrating for Shinada atleast due to his weaksauce combat style. Still enjoy Saejima the most as he is just a truck that plowes through everything :D

That said, CAN'T WAIT FOR ZERO! :D

Cyborg

Never played an Yakuza game. How is this compared to Shenmue? Same story (and action) level?

Is it me or is the action over the top?

dan2026

I have preordered this without ever really playing a Yakuza game.

I do hope I like it. I am partial to Japan wackyness so I'm sure I will.

Peroroncino

Guys, watch from 6h 16m I dare you!

https://www.twitch.tv/angryjoeshow/v/115217840

That beat after making a donation killed me xD

Never played an Yakuza game. How is this compared to Shenmue? Same story (and action) level?

Story and mission structure is very similar to Shenmue, with the expection of side stuff being more crazy and fun, as for the action, yes, it's often over the top by a fair margin.

Haven't played Shenmue myself so I'm parroting a bit here.

Shenmue is more like an adventure game at heart with action/brawling components.

Yakuza is more like an action/brawler game at heart with adventure and story components.

Yakuza is still incredibly over the top with it's action though and still a very solid game if you're interested in story.

Kurumi

Guys, watch from 6h 16m I dare you!

https://www.twitch.tv/angryjoeshow/v/115217840

That beat after making a donation killed me xD

Story and mission structure is very similar to Shenmue, with the expection of side stuff being more crazy and fun, as for the action, jest, it's often over the top by a fair margin.

I saw that on stream. It was hilarious lol. The gameplay I've seen of the mini games and side stuff have definitely convinced me to buy Yakuza 0. And I love Shenmue so if the Yakuza series is similar then that's even more perfect.

I look forward to getting into the series starting with Yakuza 0.

Y0, KH 2.8, and RE7 all coming out on the same day is ROUGH

I'm only getting Y0 and will have to wait a little while for the others

And DQ8 coming out a few days before and Nioh two weeks or so after

2017 already too strong

Top Bottom