• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Time Dilemma (Zero Escape 3) review thread

Keyouta

I have a 3DS a VITA, and a PC...

PC seems like the obvious choice, but can I really hold out the extra 2 days?

I'm 50/50 VITA/PC.
Same, but I just bought a 1440p monitor so I'd love to see how it looks on it. Vita would be great for portability though.

poutmeter

I have a 3DS a VITA, and a PC...

PC seems like the obvious choice, but can I really hold out the extra 2 days?

I'm 50/50 VITA/PC.

Same situation, but I was never comfortable playing similar games on PC, so it's Vita for me. A great game to play while in bed.

Ondore

I mean there should be a ign and gamespot review if the embargo has already ended right?

They may be waiting for regular business hours, or simply haven't had a chance to complete it/write the review. Getting the game Friday of E3 week might have set people back.

blacksark

Wouldn't the existence of literally ever other american/european review kinda indicate the review is over? ;)

No, I at least thought that the 4 or 5 reviews seen here were pre-embargo and that it was going to lift sometime today. Anyway waiting for more reviews and opinions

KiraFA37

I completely forgot this was coming out, thank god I pre-ordered the vita watch edition the moment it was available. Good to see that the reviews are all positive, still over a week away and longer since I ordered from Amazon.com and I'm in Europe, the wait is going to be excruciating.

JBwB

I'm slightly disappointed to hear that it's not as long as VLR (25+ vs 35+ hours) but other than that I'm hyped.

999 was more or less like ZTD. I remember clocking in 20 hours, my GF made her first complete playthrough and lasted 25 hours (getting stuck on puzzles)

Also, both VLR and 999 had lot of repetition. How could we forget the map screen of VLR?

Zero Escape: 999 was the sweet spot when it came to length. VLR kind of dragged along and some of the puzzles were a bit obscure so less of that in ZTD is a good thing to me.

I played 999 and ZTD completely blind; 999 took a little over 20 hours while ZTD took about 24 hours. I admit I got really lucky in 999 as far as getting a different ending every time, though. As for VLR my Activity Log is telling me 40 hours, but I feel like some of that must have been idling (and I can't remember whether I consulted a walkthrough or not). That said, I think ZTD has great pacing.

Korigama

Equivalent to or slightly longer than 999 (which felt about as long as it needed to be), yet shorter than VLR (which felt more bloated) sounds fine to me.

Sorry, didn't read all reviews (don't want to accidentally spoiler myself), just have a question:
does the game have VLR structure, where you need to witness all endings to get to true one, or you can get true ending straight away? Knowing Uchikoshi it should be the former, but stil...

DNAbro

I played 999 and ZTD completely blind; 999 took a little over 20 hours while ZTD took about 24 hours. I admit I got really lucky in 999 as far as getting a different ending every time, though. As for VLR my Activity Log is telling me 40 hours, but I feel like some of that must have been idling (and I can't remember whether I consulted a walkthrough or not). That said, I think ZTD has great pacing.

First time I played VLR it was around 40 hours and my second playthrough was around 33 and that's with basically skipping the puzzles.

daveo42

Banned
Odd question, but does anyone have some non-spoiler insight on how you can possibly "play the game wrong"? Can't access the Nintendo World Report review.

Also, regarding the Amazon issue, I may just buy the game digitially on Vita Tuesday if shipping confirmation doesn't come by Monday.

review_thread_headerhkr9k.png

• title: Zero Time Dilemma (ZERO ESCAPE 刻のジレンマ)
  • platforms: 3DS, Vita (incl. Playstation TV support), Steam
  • physical edition: only NA/JP 3DS, Vita
  • release date:
    -3DS, Vita: NA/EU June 28, 2016, JP June 30, 2016
    -Steam: WW June 30, 2016
  • developer: Chime
  • publishers: Spike Chunsoft, NA/EU Aksys Games (3DS/Vita)
  • director: Kotaro Uchikoshi
  • artist: Rui Tomono
  • writer: Kotaro Uchikoshi
  • composer: Shinji Hosoe
  • official website: Aksys, Spike-Chunsoft
  • trailers:
    US/EU1, US/EU2
    JP1, JP2, JP3 (999/VLR recap, Spoilers)

REVIEW AGGREGATORS:

opencritic

metacritic (3DS)
metacritic (Vita)
metacritic (PC)

REVIEWS:

big thanks to orthodoxy1095, SexyFish for finding more reviews

screenshot2016-06-21aeuug2.png

Comparison between the three versions
[3 min. gameplay trailer in Japanese]:

3DS
Vita
Steam

previously on ZE ...

since it’s been asked multiple times in this thread (and other ZE threads), there’s no perfect recap video for both games.

Those are your best bets if you want to refresh your memory:
999: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQaWCJK_xo&feature=youtu.be
VLR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnooebuHRtU

and there's always the ZE Wiki, both are really good summaries:
999: http://zeroescape.wikia.com/wiki/Zero_Escape:_Nine_Hours,_Nine_Persons,_Nine_Doors
VLR: http://zeroescape.wikia.com/wiki/Zero_Escape:_Virtue's_Last_Reward

Volcynika will also add a recap section to the OT when it goes live on Monday.

Fyi, Nerd Much now has a score. 9.2/10. Sorry about that, i am the owner of the site and my editor forgot to hit a checkbox. Sigh...

TheDanimal

I used a guide for the puzzles, but I didn't know there was a skip button (RIP) until the end for VLR, and I finished it in like 22 hours.
So this sounds similar to me? Idk

Ondore

Odd question, but does anyone have some non-spoiler insight on how you can possibly "play the game wrong"? Can't access the Nintendo World Report review.

Also, regarding the Amazon issue, I may just buy the game digitially on Vita Tuesday if shipping confirmation doesn't come by Monday.

Upthread a bit:
This was me. Allow me to clarify. I'll use spoiler tags so feel free to skip this (I'll keep this as vague as absolutely possible), but this is how you can "play the game wrong."

In one of the escape rooms that you can play from early on in the game, one of the final puzzles is to order three colored liquids in the correct order. You have 8 or so options for what colors you can pick, and you can reuse the same color in the order. This gives thousands upon thousands of possibilities. I spent thirty minutes looking through everything I had obtained and every object in the room, yet all I was told in dialogue was "maybe we already have the answer."

Turns out that if I had looked at items in the room in a different ORDER, the dialogue would have been different - and told me the answer. I tried this in a separate playthrough of the room and it definitely happened. I got the answer on what went wrong directly from Aksys Games. I played the room wrong, apparently.

"Oh, but it's a bug"

And I reported it as such. I was simply told "The hints in rooms can depend on what order you look at and examine items so it's possible it's circumstantial." at first, and then got the more detailed breakdown. If it IS a bug, they definitely know about it and I really hope, for FAQ-averse players, that it gets fixed. That escape room was completely soured for me because of it.

That said, it wasn't something that really shaped my opinion on the game. Maybe a difference between a 7 and a 7.5, so if that gets patched, bump mine up to a 7.5.

Are there any good story recap videos for 999 and VLR? I played VLR a year and a half ago and I really can't remember all the details. 999 I played probably 3 years ago and I have a better recollection of the events (possibly because it had a narrower focus).

takoyaki

gamespew 9/10

Aside from strange menu systems and a slow early game, Zero Time Dilemma marks an incredible conclusion to the Zero Escape franchise. Both the puzzles and the plot will give your brain a workout, but give you all the tools necessary to work them out. More importantly though, long after I’ve finished playing, my thoughts have lingered in this game universe. Kotaro Uchikoshi has given us one of the finest gaming trilogies of the 21st century, which has shaped me both as a gamer and a writer. Zero Time Dilemma is a must-play for any fans of the franchise, or indeed for any puzzle game fan.

+Smart and heartwrenching narrative
+Creative and diverse puzzle rooms
+Satisfying conclusion to the trilogy

-Overly convoluted timeline menus
-Slow early game

Rektash

-Overly convoluted timeline menus
-Slow early game

A slow beginning is pretty much the standard when it comes to Uchikoshi games.

The only Uchikoshi game that starts off strong is Remember 11 I feel like. Too bad that one had budget issues in the end which resulted in them not beeing able to put out the ending they wanted.

Letep

Interesting comment made by Nintendo World Report about the graphics creating an uncanny valley effect.

Wonder if it rings true.

Hassun

Neo Member
It bums me out so much that I can't play this without playing the other games.
I hope they come to Steam soon.

daveo42

Banned
Upthread a bit:

"Oh, but it's a bug"

Thanks for the heads up. Hard to tell if it is or isn't a bug tbh, based on how it's described.

VLR overstayed its welcome a bit in my opinion. An adventure game taking 32-35h is ridiculous.

It was more in how the game was set up than anything else. Backtracking or covering very similar ground in different scenarios both helped in that you could easily retread over similar stuff as a refresher, but also took up extra time and I know I had to remember where I was in the story to make sense of a few of the events.

DR2K

Banned
Is 9/9/9 on iOS a good place to start the series? I know it doesn't have the puzzles, but o just want to ingratiate myself with the lore and characters.

Top Bottom