• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Time Dilemma (Zero Escape 3) review thread

I also know that
there's a virus on earth that killed a ton of the population... or something.
I'm guessing there's still ton more that I don't know though. Yayyyyy.
Oh honey... :p
Play the games. You haven't been spoiled on anything major judging by your posts.

UberTag

I just don't want to try to get through 3 VNs in a row and then get tired. I barreled through Danganronpa 1 (my first and only VN) in a few days and then couldn't bring myself to get past the first 5 hours of 2 later that year.
The Danganronpa games have a lot of sameness to them that can be extremely off-putting if your'e not giving yourself a solid enough break in between them.

The variety in presentation and art design in the Zero Escape games seems like it would be more conducive to a marathon... provided you don't find yourself getting burnt out on escape the room puzzle logic.

Anyone know of a good recap video for VLR's plot? I forgot most everything of my experience when playing that game, except the feeling of being stunned at how intricate and well put together it was and that I wanted to play ZE3 right away.
I've been watching Nightybunny's daily VLR streams as a refresher as she's been going through a blind playthrough of the game on Twitch since wrapping up 999 last weekend. It's made for a nice refresher. (Her entire run has been archived and she has yet to hit any of VLR's whopper twists.)

MattyG

Banned
I have the physical 3DS version so I guess I'll just stick with that since the bug sounds like it's digital only. I'll get ZTD on Vita though.

VLR was made for both so other than personal preference I don't think it matters too much. if you have the 3ds, that should be fine. that's what I have.
Yeah! you got nothing. It's been a while since a live LTTP thread of a new 999 player.
Ohhhhh, maybe I'll do a LTTP thread then! I'm really excited to start playing now, definitely will start 999 tomorrow!

It's easier. No Gold File equivalents. Just see all the content and it's a Platinum.

Yes and no. It leaves a lot of questions in the dust, answers some in weird ways, answers some in very satisfying ways, and then answers one of the biggest VLR questions in one offhanded sentence. It's a huge grab bag in my eyes, though that's very subjective and will be divisive amongst fans.
Thx for clearing that up. Hopefully I'll be satisfied with the story.

I have the physical 3DS version so I guess I'll just stick with that since the bug sounds like it's digital only. I'll get ZTD on Vita though.

Ohhhhh, maybe I'll do a LTTP thread then! I'm really excited to start playing now, definitely will start 999 tomorrow!
Physical 3DS VLR still has the bug. Just don't save in any puzzle rooms. Ever. Just to be safe.
Closing the system into rest mode is fine.

Tagg9

TOP HONORS
Zero Time Dilemma wraps up the long-running Zero Escape series in style. Presentation issues aside, it's the masterpiece we've been waiting for, and the one that the fans deserve.

BAwJzEi.gif

Reviews are so much better than I expected! You done good, Uchikoshi!

TOP HONORS
Zero Time Dilemma wraps up the long-running Zero Escape series in style. Presentation issues aside, it's the masterpiece we've been waiting for, and the one that the fans deserve.

OMG!

qQlvnYc.jpg

They did it! They created the best trilogy in gaming! Holy hell I'm hyped! I'm also reading tons of praise for the English voice acting. I knew it would be good!

Soriku

Welp, I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow then.

I also know that
there's a virus on earth that killed a ton of the population... or something.
I'm guessing there's still ton more that I don't know though. Yayyyyy.

VLR has like 30000000 plot twists/important plot points, you're good. You're also missing a lot of important details regarding the spoilers you know - which are more important than simply listing them off as bullet points. I feel like 999 and VLR do a good job of having nearly every piece of dialogue be important in some way, so you would definitely lose a lot just by knowing certain plot points, but not the accompanying dialogue. I often reread previous lines just so I was 100% on things.

VLR also has the addition of the AB game, and putting aside the twists, just seeing all the different betray/ally scenarios and how the characters respond is really interesting.

Btw the 3DS version is good, just watch it for the game breaking bug in the PEC room (just don't save here during the puzzle).

blacksark

I have read the good and the bad things, and the only change that I don't like is the fact that the game is shorter than vlr.

I'm like 10 hours in and at first it took some time to get used to the presentation. I still don't like the animation style they went for without text boxes but holy shit this is a Zero Escape game alright. 💯👌😂

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I was looking this game up on steam and saw the PC settings.

Very nice.

2016-06-2308_49_45-st7vunz.png

Keyouta

Can you go higher than 1080p on the steam version? Very excited for this game, played 999 on the DS and VLR on the Vita.

Same here. I was considering playing it on the 3DS since I managed to snag a watch pre-order, but now I'm leaning towards getting it on Vita instead. Guess no watch for me.

They said they will be selling the watches later and maybe even the watches from 999 and VLR iirc.

takoyaki

gamingtrend 85/100

Zero Time Dilemma takes some bold strides to tell the series’ final chapters, but even when it falters, it’s never slow to catch back up and deliver. Through well-designed escape rooms, brilliant writing and narrative decisions, and a more relatable cast than ever, Zero Time Dilemma puts the most deserving and exceptional final touches on this excellent trilogy.

Pros

Great character writing
Use of animations is an overall boon
Great escape room design
Memorable soundtrack
Fitting conclusion

Cons

Frustrating timeline interface
Technical hitches and subpar 3DS port
Sometimes robotic animations

UberTag

I rather like this explanation of the controversial move to character animation from Gaming Trend's review as it frames the decision in a positive light...

Over time, though, I appreciated the move to animated characters. It added a level of intimacy, spacial understanding, and personality to characters that was previously lacking, or had to exist solely in your mind’s eye. There’s some deeper, more emotional moments in this game than previous Zero Escapes, and I don’t know if they would have resonated with me as much through the simple text and character portraits of games past.

UberTag

So it seems like Uchikoshi has really delivered when it comes to the story again. So exciting! My mind is ready to be blown again!
It's so heartening when one's most anticipated game of the year delivers in the one area we all wanted it to.
Can't wait to strap myself in for the roller coaster ride next week!

LAA

Amazon pls

why is my order still seemingly in limbo

Was just checking that too, even worse that I'm in the UK, so gonna get it even later.
Just gonna buy it on the EU PSN store when it's out. Would buy steam, but I think it's two days later, can't wait that long.

It's so heartening when one's most anticipated game of the year delivers in the one area we all wanted it to.
Can't wait to strap myself in for the roller coaster ride next week!

Absolutely!

I mean some of the praise I'm hearing when it comes to the story makes it sound like he not only did a good job, but he completely knocked it out of the park!

I guess always having this game in mind to follow up VLR has paid off big time. All is right in the world!

Shin-chan

I just hope this isn't an MGS4 situation where critics praised the finale but a lot of fans and myself found it too full of fan service amongst other problems.

I trust Uchikoshi though! I'll probably blitz through it next week and put TMS and Odin Sphere on the backburner.

Acid08

Banned
Most of my orders ship on Sunday so I'm not worried yet.
I wouldn't be worried if my order had any indication that it had even been updated with the release date. It's still on "we don't have a delivery estimate." All my other game preorders that have release dates all have that green bar counting down to the date.

Vitacat

I have both Vita and 3ds versions on order.

Figured I'd lock both in just in case one version turned out bad. Also got the watch on both. Sounds like I should cancel the 3ds version? I wonder if the watch will hold any value?

When you say "fuck this game", that's a good "fuck this game" (my mind is mush now) and not a bad "fuck this game" (I wish I never started playing this), correct?
Bad, I guess you could say. I got to a point I couldnt figure out what to do next. I had no idea on where to go next. Once I knew what timeline I was in I had an idea but ended up finding the path forward by giving up. Lol.

1upsuper

So it's looking like Vita is the way to go? Only reason I haven't pre-ordered yet is because I wasn't sure which platform to go with.

10 minutes of this on the bed this morning and I'm already hooked. Damn, so much class from the start.

Please stop. Any more hype and I'll explode.

So it's looking like Vita is the way to go? Only reason I haven't pre-ordered yet is because I wasn't sure which platform to go with.

If you have a choice between the 3DS version and the Vita version - the Vita version is definitely the one to go for.

Joey Ravn

Banned

If you want better graphics, get the PC version. If you want portability, get the Vita version.

People seem to be downright offended by the 3DS version. I just can't see why the hate it's been getting, but there's that. I was planning on getting it first for 3DS and then for PC, but the negativity around the former has soured my expectations.

SoulUnison

Banned
I have a 3DS a VITA, and a PC...

PC seems like the obvious choice, but can I really hold out the extra 2 days?

I'm 50/50 VITA/PC.

Top Bottom