• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donatas Motiejunas says he loves playing basketball in a team style and wants to become the greatest he can be. Jazz need to grab him, he's the most talented player in the draft and his intangibles aren't that terrible. They can teach him how to rebound...

SamuraiX-

Dre3001 said:
So looking at the Magic's roster shows that after Dwight Howard nobody else on the team is averaging more than 14 Ppg.

Also Dwight averaged 24 and 14 in January and 26 and 14 in February.

He has to be the frontrunner for MVP right now over Rose. Atleast Rose has Boozer and Noah. Who does Dwight have?? A washed up Turkoglu, Richardson, and Arenas in addition to an inconsistent Jameer Nelson. Without Dwight I dunno if Magic are even making the playoffs.

The reason Rose will win the MVP over Dwight is because, among other things, he has been closing games out for the Bulls this year better than Dwight.

Now I know that's not always Howard's fault because his teammates are fucking retarded, but he looks way too passive when the game is on the line when he should be establishing post position on every possession and screaming for the ball.

diehard

Fleer
Red Blaster said:
If Dwight can't win because of the Magic's record then it should go to LeBron as the Heat are Raptors-bad without him.
Even with all the late game failings and the Lebron hate, he still probably is the MVP.

The fuck? No way Lebron is MVP. He hurts his team. Emptiest stats of all time.

If you can't win with D-Wade, Chris Bosh, Big Z, Haslem, and Mike Miller then you don't deserve shit.

Hes the Hasheem Thabeet of the NBA. He looks great against inferior competition, but when you bring him to the next level (the playoffs), you start to see all his flaws. He has no post game, an inconsistent jumper, is not clutch, can't play off the ball, can't set screens/make cuts, is a poor leader, is obsessed with stats, and demands the ball to be in his hands. He isn't good. No team can win a championship with him.

Dre3001 said:
So looking at the Magic's roster shows that after Dwight Howard nobody else on the team is averaging more than 14 Ppg.

Also Dwight averaged 24 and 14 in January and 26 and 14 in February.

He has to be the frontrunner for MVP right now over Rose. Atleast Rose has Boozer and Noah. Who does Dwight have?? A washed up Turkoglu, Richardson, and Arenas in addition to an inconsistent Jameer Nelson. Without Dwight I dunno if Magic are even making the playoffs.

Orlando has consistently been one of the deepest teams in the league over the last 3 years. One of the "bonuses" of their offensive system is that they don't need any guy other than Dwight to average 20ppg.

There are 7 players on their current roster averaging >10ppg on the season, not counting Gilbert Arenas who's lost his damned mind:

Richardson
Nelson
Reddick
Turkoglu
Anderson
Bass
Howard

None of these guys are elite scorers on their own (except maybe Richardson before Van Gundy gave him the usual Magic stupid pills), but together they = help.

dIEHARD said:
Even with all the late game failings and the Lebron hate, he still probably is the MVP.

The only way you could make a case for Lebron being the MVP this year (if the Bulls finish with a better or similar record to the Heat) is if you make the case that

Luol Deng + Carlos Boozer + Joakim Noah >>> Chris Bosh + Dwyane Wade + Carlos Arroyo

Dirk and Rose are a head above Lebron this year because he has more and better superstar talent than either of them.

thekad

Banned
Chicago @ Atlanta
Golden State @ Washington
San Antonio @ Cleveland
New Orleans @ New York
Phoenix @ Boston
Minnesota @ Detroit
Indiana @ Oklahoma City
Charlotte @ Denver
Portland @ Sacramento
Houston @ LA Clippers

Gasol should get some MVP consideration. He's done the most with the least.

Jeff-DSA

Chicago @ Atlanta
San Antonio @ Cleveland
New Orleans @ New York
Phoenix @ Boston
Minnesota @ Detroit
Indiana @ Oklahoma City
Charlotte @ Denver
Portland @ Sacramento
Houston @ LA Clippers

giri

Chicago @ Atlanta
San Antonio @ Cleveland
New Orleans @ New York
Phoenix @ Boston
Minnesota @ Detroit
Indiana @ Oklahoma City
Charlotte @ Denver
Portland @ Sacramento
Houston @ LA Clippers

DCX

DCX
Chicago @ Atlanta
San Antonio @ Cleveland
New Orleans @ New York
Phoenix @ Boston
Minnesota @ Detroit
Indiana @ Oklahoma City
Charlotte @ Denver
Portland @ Sacramento
Houston @ LA Clippers

DCX

giri

Red Blaster said:
If Dwight can't win because of the Magic's record then it should go to LeBron as the Heat are Raptors-bad without him.
Lol, no they are't.

Also, MVP is a 3 horse race, Dirk, Rose, Dwight. People forget how bad the mavs were when Dirk went down, he is that entire team.

giri

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Dwight's supporting cast is complete trash whereas Dirk has Chandler and a lot of decent depth and Rose has Noah and a lot of decent depth.
Dirk has chandler, the same way dwight has J-Rich and nelson. And the "his supprorting cast are trash" thing is so full of crap. Jameer is decent, J-rich is certainly better than most teams 2g's and a scoring and rebounding beast him self.

Their main problem is the coach's shitty system. They scored off 10 baskets in a row, when they went with the dwight & jameer PnR the other day. After a time out? they stopped going to the PnR. WHY THE FUCK.

The Stealth Fox

giga said:
Wait, I thought you were banned..

Self-imposed. Didn't think I could end it early via a PM (stupid me), so created an alt. Mods discovered the alt (which I planned on not using after TSF got unbanned), asked them to unban TSF and nuke the alt, but since I used an alt, got TSF permanently juniored.

Tom Penny

Rose shouldn't win MVP. He has good coach. Dwight has Van Gundy and still wins games despise his ineptness. Lebron is 3rd for carrying Wade and elevating the Heat's bench play.

giri

The Stealth Fox said:
Van Gundy gets too much blame. Orlando has never had the personnel to be a great passing team.
Jameers a good passer, hedo's a very good passer, dwights good at passing, and so is j-rich. So the problem is that their PF can't pass all that well?

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Marc Stein
Just filed to ESPN.com: Mavs close to completing free-agent deal with Corey Brewer. Closing in on multi-year deal if Brewer clears waivers
Good for Brew. On a team that doesn't need him to do anything on offense, he'll be good.

benita

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Donatas Motiejunas says he loves playing basketball in a team style and wants to become the greatest he can be. Jazz need to grab him, he's the most talented player in the draft and his intangibles aren't that terrible. They can teach him how to rebound...

WOW! A potential draft pick claiming he wants to play team ball and get better. Sign him up!

thekad said:
Gasol should get some MVP consideration. He's done the most with the least.

Eh, it was more fun when you actually tried. Now you're just like the retarded cousin who pulls his dick out at family gatherings and expects you to laugh every time.

Branduil

MorisUkunRasik said:
This is a bit off topic, but DWill looks so wrong in a Nets jersey.
Don't worry, he'll be back in blue in a couple years.

Rodeo Clown said:
Good for Brew. On a team that doesn't need him to do anything on offense, he'll be good.

So uh tell me what we're getting Rodeo. All I hear is he's a good defender that sucks at offense but I want to hear from somone who has actually watched him play basketball.

dream said:
Was Dwight better off pre-trade?

The trade is a wash. Richardson is much better than Vince right now, and his minutes, rebounding, assists, steals, and turnovers are roughly identical to what they were in Phoenix, but he gets far less easy baskets because the Magic's offensive system is a joke. So his numbers are roughly the same as Vince's.

Turkeyglue is better than Shard, but not having Gortat means that Dwight can basically never get in foul trouble.

Arenas gives them nothing, or at least, he doesn't offer anything more than Pietrius offensively as a spot-up shooter, and his defense is worse.

dIEHARD said:
I know, right?

I get the same feeling when I see shit like this:

image_00320.jpg

I'm just going to start referring to Deron as NE Double Games.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Branduil said:
So uh tell me what we're getting Rodeo. All I hear is he's a good defender that sucks at offense but I want to hear from somone who has actually watched him play basketball.
Think of every reason why you hate Barea, combine him with Shaun Bradley's offensive talent, and then multiply that by two. Congrats, you have Corey Brewer.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Branduil said:
That's pretty much it. His jump shot is busted, but he's a good man defender. Plays passing lanes pretty well. He's usually good for a highlight dunk, too.

diehard

Fleer
Rodeo Clown said:
That's pretty much it. His jump shot is busted, but he's a good man defender. Plays passing lanes pretty well. He's usually good for a highlight dunk, too.
Soooo basically he's Ronnie Brewer?

Branduil

Rodeo Clown said:
Okay. I hope Kidd and Dirk can change his offense from "abysmal" to "moderately acceptable." I hope some of his offensive futility came from playing with Minny's point guard and Kurt Rambis. As long as he plays better defense than Peja I'll be happy.

In any case I'm glad SA didn't get him because then he'd turn into the next Bruce Bowen for sure.

reilo

Branduil said:
Okay. I hope Kidd and Dirk can change his offense from "abysmal" to "moderately acceptable." I hope some of his offensive futility came from playing with Minny's point guard and Kurt Rambis. As long as he plays better defense than Peja I'll be happy.
Shield your childrens' eyes if you see Corey Brewer run a fastbreak.

Triple U

Banned
Omiee said:
when did you get back?
been on a shitty deployment and the bandwidth is scarce so its like I can either actually see my fam with vid chat or browse gaf so yea....

But i've missed pretty much the whole season thus far.

reilo

Triple U said:
been on a shitty deployment and the bandwidth is scarce so its like I can either actually see my fam with vid chat or browse gaf so yea....

But i've missed pretty much the whole season thus far.
Just in time for the playoffs, like usual!

So I was reading some stuff today and came across this tidbit.

2008-09 Cleveland Cavs:

Williams-West-James-Wallace-Ilgauskas: 400+ min. Offensive Rating: 115
Williams-West-James-Varejao-Ilgauskas: 400+ min. Offensive Rating: 116

2010-11 Miami Heat:

Arroyo-Wade-James-Bosh-Ilgauskas: 400+ min. Offensive Rating: 114

So, Arroyo + Wade + Bosh < or = Mo Williams + Delonte West + Ben Wallace/Varajeo on offense.

Awesome.

Also, Miami is last in the league in shot attempts at the rim. However, they lead the league in long 2 point shot attempts (16-23 feet). They are also average in 3 point attempts despite being an above average 3 point shooting team. They are also 23rd in assists percentage as a team and 23rd in offensive rebounds.

Basically, everything a lot of people (especially here) said would happen, did. Good teams pack the paint and close out on 3 point shooters, forcing them to take long 2s. They don't get easy buckets, create for each other, but their fast break ability and defense slaughters mediocre to bad teams.

It'll be fun watching them in the playoffs.

Branduil said:

In any case I'm glad SA didn't get him because then he'd turn into the next Bruce Bowen for sure.

We know he'll bring it on the defensive end. I think an ideal situation for Brewer on offense would have him in a diet matrix role. Obviously, don't call postups for him, but just get him running around on cuts and screens and feed him easy buckets near the basket. He definitely is not a spotup shooter, but he could beat zones with constant movement and slashing.

Of course, I'm still not familiar with his game, but this is the only way I can see fitting in on a jumpshooting team. Just need a quality 10-12 minutes from him a night.

also,

Chicago @ Atlanta
San Antonio @ Cleveland
New Orleans @ New York
Phoenix @ Boston
Minnesota @ Detroit
Indiana @ Oklahoma City
Charlotte @ Denver
Portland @ Sacramento
Houston @ LA Clippers

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The judge is out on Brewer, playing in Minny with that team and that coach puts you in a weird spot.

If you need energy and youth though, you could do much worse.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The trade is a wash. Richardson is much better than Vince right now, and his minutes, rebounding, assists, steals, and turnovers are roughly identical to what they were in Phoenix, but he gets far less easy baskets because the Magic's offensive system is a joke. So his numbers are roughly the same as Vince's.

Turkeyglue is better than Shard, but not having Gortat means that Dwight can basically never get in foul trouble.

Arenas gives them nothing, or at least, he doesn't offer anything more than Pietrius offensively as a spot-up shooter, and his defense is worse.

Don't get how you can say the trade was a wash. The only valid point you raise is the loss of Gortat. J-Rich gets fewer easy baskets because he doesn't have one of the best point guards ever dishing him the ball anymore. Getting rid of Roidshard has given Anderson and Bass room to flourish who are both far superior players than him at this point. Pre-trade, the team was getting absolutely no fastbreak buckets. Gilbert's has been historically terrible with his shooting but he at least runs and still sets guys up pretty well. Pietrus was literally doing nothing else but taking threes, he was going to the line like .3 times a game; the lowest in the league. Moreover, the chemistry on the pre-trade team was absolutely shot, nobody on the team liked Vince anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom