• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
SephCast said:
Keith Bogans can't really be attacked. His defense is competent.

I'll add:
Double team and trap Rose.
Deny Rose the ball.

Make everyone else beat you.

I'd lay 10 feet off Bogans on defense, Rondo style. The guy can't shoot for shit.

On defense, attacking Booze seems like the obvious choice, but the Bulls help defense at the rim is actually quite good for those who try to force it inside.

Godslay

Banned
CherryWoodFuton said:
Man im loving the Bulls as of late. If my Heat get eliminated and they're still around I will be rooting for them to go all the way

So you are telling us that you will be a Bulls fan in the playoffs?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'd lay 10 feet off Bogans on defense, Rondo style. The guy can't shoot for shit.

On defense, attacking Booze seems like the obvious choice, but the Bulls help defense at the rim is actually quite good for those who try to force it inside.

Problem is that Bogans plays only about 17 minutes per game, so doing that won't really hurt the Bulls for long stretches.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Sho_Nuff82 said:

You guys realize that Boozer hardly plays starter minutes. It's going to be Korver most of the time when the bulls need shooting.

The Ball Don't Lie liveblog of the 2009 draft is hilarious, tons of praising for Kahn and Thabeet to start, total disbelief from everyone around the league that Kahn could have just picked Flynn and Rubio and wasn't going to trade either.

Problem is that Bogans plays only about 17 minutes per game, so doing that won't really hurt the Bulls for long stretches.

His backup is Brewer who is the worst shooting wing in the NBA.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
His backup is Brewer who is the worst shooting wing in the NBA.

Brewer doesn't really roam the perimeter, so you can't lay off him. He moves off the ball, along the baseline, and gets 2-3 layups because people don't stay with him on that line.

Sharp

CherryWoodFuton said:
Man im loving the Bulls as of late. If my Heat get eliminated and they're still around I will be rooting for them to go all the way
There's a former GAFer who's veeeeery disappointed in you, son.

SephCast said:
Brewer doesn't really roam the perimeter, so you can't lay off him. He moves off the ball, along the baseline, and gets 2-3 layups because people don't stay with him on that line.

You can. Kobe did it several years in a row against him and it destroyed the Jazz's offense. The SG just needs to stand near the rim to completely shut him down and clog the paint.

J2 Cool

erlim said:
167wc9c.jpg

feels good man.

:lol

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
You can. Kobe did it several years in a row against him and it destroyed the Jazz's offense. The SG just needs to stand near the rim to completely shut him down and clog the paint.

Touche, but then the Bulls will just put Korver in at SG, which they often do anyways.

Sharp

CherryWoodFuton said:
PEACE?????
His disciple.
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
6 three pointers for Rose, league on notice again that he can shoot from the outside.

aka "He's Back"

Three point shooting is like batting average man, what someone shoots in one particular game/week/month is... aw fuck it, I won't ruin the surprise.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I guess so.

Don't get me wrong, Korver is pretty bad at D as well, so the team isn't perfect. I still don't think we're the best team in the NBA. These last 2 games don't make me overconfident.

J2 Cool

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
6 three pointers for Rose, league on notice again that he can shoot from the outside.

aka "He's Back"

One night doesn't mean much as far as 3pt shooting goes, but when he's in rhythm he can shoot it. He definitely improved a ton this season.

J2 Cool said:
One night doesn't mean much as far as 3pt shooting goes, but when he's in rhythm he can shoot it. He definitely improved a ton this season.

Well, I'll put it this way:

His biggest strength is going to the basket but he's not a deficient shooter.

When he shoots jumpers, I usually think they are going in.

But yeah, he worked had at his outside game and that makes him THAT much more difficult to guard.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Sho_Nuff82 said:
The Hawks are going to finish with their worst record since 2008.

MAXIMUM CONTRACT. /Crysis 2 suit voice

It's like going into a corner deli, ordering a reuben sandwich, then leaving sixty thousand dollars in the tip jar.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The Hawks are going to finish with their worst record since 2008.

MAXIMUM CONTRACT. /Crysis 2 suit voice

Some team is going to turn Smith and Johnson into the second and third options they were meant to be next season.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
erlim said:
i would be soundly embarrassed if Horford pulled his team back in and won the game.

Um...that's not possible. If the Bulls held the ball for each possession, they're mathematically guaranteed to win.

Do the Hawks make the playoffs next year? Fifth this year. JJ is declining, Crawford is leaving, 76ers are better, Knicks may be better next year, Nets may be better, and Bucks may be better with Bogut healing. What a disaster of a team.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
i don't get it, do the hawks fanbase really really really love their team? why did the owners break the bank to keep their core intact?

edit: teague is a stud.

giri said:
My examples don't prove your point. Your point is that they lie about making money, but tell the truth with their actions. Which those companies prove other wise, AIG and GM were actually making large losses, but continued to spend spend spend. I don't know how you intepret examples in america...

It depends whose calculations you want to believe. I prefer to believe the owners, as the players assocation refused to account on the books for the repayments of loans, and acrewal of interest on the loans as net out goings, saying they had nothing to do with the accounting of the franchise (which is flat out retarded). It's a big reason i can't take anything the PA says seriously on the topic. Yes, there are ways to make money for your self, but net the franchise a loss. And they could all be cooking their books or... they could be selling.

You don't sell an asset that grows in value due to a extremely limited supply (which there is of NBA franchises) and is turning a good profit, just for the hell of it. They aren't bought as business investments by most of these guys. That doesn't mean they want to lose money, and have it turn into a huge sink hole.

200M for an NBA team isn't a lot, NOH who ARE strugling and losing money, sold for 300M, whats that figure of 200M mean then? (I know it's only for a majority share, not the whole team). But if they were all such proven long term investments making regular annual profit other companies would be lining up to buy them.

Just because a house in hollywood sold for 500M, doesn't mean thats what it cost to build and maintain, it just means that's its current market value.

The truth is always somewhere in between. If an owner owns the building and he bought the building (or built it) so as to use it for more than its NBA team, the accountings can put all the debt and losses on the team while the whole place is a net positive. There's just so many gimmicks you can use to pull the wool over everyone's eyes.

Market value incorporates future costs, or rather it's supposed to. For Leonsis to buy the Wizards at the price he did, he obviously didn't believe it will be a losing venture. When companies are actually losing legit money, they sell for pennies on the dollar. That's not happening at all.

Most of the NBA teams are bought as an investment. Don't try to think otherwise. Cuban is the exception. As for the examples, GM gave the gov't money back after crying for it (they weren't doing well, but they weren't doing as poorly as they claimed and could afford to give it back and not deal with the stipulations). As or AIG, they were (or still are?) under investigation for lying about their financial stability in the midst of the financial crisis. They never said they were losing money for years. They were saying "we're doing great. Stick with us;" they even had national ads saying as much all the while they were losing billions in their investments. This is why I say they are good examples for my point. AIG almost certainly lied about their financial situation. GM misled a bit and their issues are far more complex and different than the NBA.

$200m is a lot for a team. Go look at thir valuations 10 years ago. Growth is quite large. Regarding NOH, I've already agreed they're a team I legitimately believe is losing money.

erlim said:
It's like going into a corner deli, ordering a reuben sandwich, then leaving sixty thousand dollars in the tip jar.

Precisely. It's not even like the Hawks are a bad team. But short of somehow transmogrifying Marvin Williams into Chris Paul, they are stuck in a perpetual cycle of 45-55 win second round squads. This is as good as any of these guys is ever going to be, and it isn't good enough. For a team that spent the better part of a decade completely irrelevant, I guess that's an improvement, but it's got to be a hard pill to swallow that your franchise guy isn't really a top 10 player.

Under normal circumstances I'd say the team needs to make some moves after they fail to even make it to the second round this year (they're still going to get hammered by Orlando), but do the fans even care enough to take that kind of risk?

overcast said:
Jesus. Are the bulls that good? Cause the Hawks really aren't this bad. Seriously.

The Bulls played a "perfect" game, the Bulls don't always play this way but they are capable.

The Hawks were shooting 50% after the first half was over and were down by around 30.

Too much outside shooting.

Mrbob

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Precisely. It's not even like the Hawks are a bad team. But short of somehow transmogrifying Marvin Williams into Chris Paul, they are stuck in a perpetual cycle of 45-55 win second round squads. This is as good as any of these guys is ever going to be, and it isn't good enough. For a team that spent the better part of a decade completely irrelevant, I guess that's an improvement, but it's got to be a hard pill to swallow that your franchise guy isn't really a top 10 player.

Under normal circumstances I'd say the team needs to make some moves after they fail to even make it to the second round this year (they're still going to get hammered by Orlando), but do the fans even care enough to take that kind of risk?

NBA hell the Hawks are stuck in.

Now that Chicago has arrived, Hawks can't even make the 2nd round. 45-50 wins for a 1st round exit and no where to go. They are stuck in NBA purgatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom