• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Yeah, it's not like he's outscoring, out rebounding, shooting a better percentage than most of them, and averaging more assists than any of those guys other than Rose whom he's 1 assist behind. Or like he plays good defense. Stats don't mean everything, and I mean that. But what a lot of the articles are stating is that, Lebron's play hasn't changed, statistically it might even be better, your perception has.

Empty stats.

Wade and Bosh mean a lot more to that team than Bron. Bron for Deron would turn the Heat into a 65 win team.

Are we about to embark one of these stupid lists like, "10 players I would rather have than LeBron James" like we did last summer?

and LOL at Wade/Bosh being more important. They're all important.

Puddles

Banned
ph33nix said:
Are we about to embark one of these stupid lists like, "10 players I would rather have than LeBron James" like we did last summer?

and LOL at Wade/Bosh being more important. They're all important.

Nah, no need for lists
Rose, Durant, Kobe, Wade, Dwight, healthy CP3, Deron, Dirk
. Just saying: Lebron is at best 5th or 6th in the MVP race, and we should all just acknowledge it as such and quit asking ridiculous questions like "Will Rose beat out Lebron?" when the real question should be "Will Rose beat out Dwight?"

I would love to know how you made that list. Rings apparently isn't a criteria to be "better" so I'd love to see how you managed to definitively conclude that those guys are better.

How many of those guys has led a squad or could to back to back 60 wins seasons?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Puddles said:
Nah, no need for lists
Rose, Durant, Kobe, Wade, Dwight, healthy CP3, Deron, Dirk
. Just saying: Lebron is at best 5th or 6th in the MVP race, and we should all just acknowledge it as such and quit asking ridiculous questions like "Will Rose beat out Lebron?" when the real question should be "Will Rose beat out Dwight?"

...No way I take any of those players over LeBron, if starting my franchise from scratch.

Meier

I like how Lebron's stats "might be better" statistically despite averaging considerably fewer points, fewer assists, fewer steals, fewer blocks, more turnovers, a lower 3pt percentage, a lower FT percentage and more fouls per game.. because his overall FG percentage has gone up by less than .04%.

To clarify: This is in regards to him saying his stats might be better than last year's, not in comparison to anyone else.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Meier said:
I like how Lebron's stats "might be better" statistically despite averaging considerably fewer points, fewer assists, fewer steals, fewer blocks, more turnovers, a lower 3pt percentage, a lower FT percentage and more fouls per game.. because his overall FG percentage has gone up by less than .04%.

If the award was strictly based on "Who is the Best Player in Basketball?" it would go to LeBron. NBA needs an MOP and MVP.

KingGondo

Banned
Gabyskra said:
I can't wait to see them kill the FThunder in the playoffs. I'll be rooting for them almost as hard as I'll root for the Knicks not to get swept.
I'll take it as a complement that the Thunder are starting to inspire this kind of irrational hate.

All of these nicknames and people rooting against us... Feels (surprisingly) good man.

Gabyskra

Banned
KingGondo said:
I'll take it as a complement that the Thunder are starting to inspire this kind of irrational hate.

All of these nicknames and people rooting against us... Feels (surprisingly) good man.

Actually, I don't care much about the Thunder. I like Harden because he's underrated. I'm indifferent toward the rest of the team. I care a lot about Gallo & the gang though.

KingGondo

Banned
Gabyskra said:
Actually, I don't care much about the Thunder. I like Harden because he's underrated. I'm indifferent toward the rest of the team. I care a lot about Gallo & the gang though.
I'll admit that I'm a little nervous about playing them, we play them twice in a 3 or 4 day period before the regular season is over... Both teams will be treating it like a playoff preview, so it should be telling.

Our superior top 6-7 guys will hopefully outweigh their depth. Although we're now much deeper than most people think.

TylerD

KingGondo said:
Our superior top 6-7 guys will hopefully outweigh their depth. Although we're now much deeper than most people think.

With the way Mohammed has been contributing, he was an absolute steal for giving up 2 guys that never played. I hope Collison can get his ankle back to 100% before the playoffs. As we saw early on in the season, his presence is sorely missed when he isn't out there.

Ibaka has been playing on a new level too (thanks Perk!). I can't wait for the playoffs to see what this new look Thunder can do.

Jeff-DSA

KingGondo said:

It's not irrational to hate on Reffel Whistlebrook when he's either bull rushing to draw a foul or doing that ridiculous pull up jumper he makes like 2% of the time.

TylerD

Jeff-DSA said:
It's not irrational to hate on Reffel Whistlebrook when he's either bull rushing to draw a foul or doing that ridiculous pull up jumper he makes like 2% of the time.

We are going to be in trouble if we go into Westbrook on 5 mode. Please Scottie Brooks, stress the importance of ball movement to him these last 8 games! We do have an interesting dynamic going from score-first Westbrook to pass-first Maynor though.

Jeff-DSA

TylerD said:
We are going to be in trouble if we go into Westbrook on 5 mode. Please Scottie Brooks, stress the importance of ball movement to him these last 8 games! We do have an interesting dynamic going from score-first Westbrook to pass-first Maynor though.

I tease the guy, but he's smart enough to spread it around...I think.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
2011 NBA April |OT| NOT IN OUR GARAGE

2011 NBA April |OT| Where Thanking Danny Ainge Happens

yea these are bad

KingGondo

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
That's probably my favorite Russ Nickname yet, although I might prefer "Whistle Refbrook." Sounds closer to his actual name.

TheFatOne

OMG Celtics savior Jermaine O'neal is going to play today. Thank god he has come back. What a true warrior. I'm surprised that he is coming back from such a crippling injury. If he stays healthy look out. Celtics getting banner 18.

J2 Cool

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
McGee's Blocks on Bosh and Wade

vy5nop.jpg

I've never seen it so strong that it knocked them on their ass.

Sick.

ph33nix said:
I would love to know how you made that list. Rings apparently isn't a criteria to be "better" so I'd love to see how you managed to definitively conclude that those guys are better.

How many of those guys has led a squad or could to back to back 60 wins seasons?

I can't wait to read these posts when he flames out again in the postseason. All those wins didn't mean shit when he cracked like a broken egg.

And in other news:

The Lakers didn't appeal to a higher power Wednesday, though Archbishop Jose Gomez was at their practice, as was Cardinal Juan Luis Cipriani from Peru, taking in a scrimmage from folding courtside chairs.

Gomez used to be a San Antonio Spurs supporter but switched allegiances after taking over leadership of the L.A. Archdiocese this month.

"A lot of people were praying and telling me to switch from the Spurs to the Lakers. Prayers work. Now I'm a Lakers fan," Gomez said. "I'm also praying for the Spurs, but a sign from God is that the Lakers are playing much better."

Just more proof God is a Lakers fan.

I'll admit that I'm a little nervous about playing them, we play them twice in a 3 or 4 day period before the regular season is over... Both teams will be treating it like a playoff preview, so it should be telling.

It'll be a good series. Lawson vs Westbrook will be interesting, as will Durant vs Affalo, even though he defends differently than Artest.

2011 NBA April |OT| The Jimmer Show™ coming soon to an NBA near you

1/10

Bread

Banned
2011 NBA April |OT| Ken Mauer thinks you're a little bitch
2011 NBA April |OT| Where getting excited for Jermaine O'Neal happens
2011 NBA April |OT| Rose for MVP (if we ignore Dwight Howard like SVG's gameplan)

linsivvi

"A lot of people were praying and telling me to switch from the Spurs to the Lakers. Prayers work. Now I'm a Lakers fan," Gomez said. "I'm also praying for the Spurs, but a sign from God is that the Lakers are playing much better."

LOL, what a LLL.

exarkun

linsivvi said:
LOL, what a LLL.

she switched? What bs, she's always talking about her love of Texas and shit. My sister's like her cause they got to hang out with her one time when she was in the big D for some shit for a friend of my sisters. All dressed in her cowboy boots and ish. LIFE LONG.

Boombloxer said:
I can't wait to read these posts when he flames out again in the postseason. All those wins didn't mean shit when he cracked like a broken egg.

You don't understand what we're talking about. So try and understand what is going on before you say anything.

Just to clarify, don't take what I said about back to back 60 win seasons as a way to define him. It was more of a way of saying "And you think other people on that list are capable of it? (which most of them are if surrounded decently)" but I'm basically asking him what the hell his logic is here.

SamuraiX-

masud said:

That was the game right there. No way we were stealing any momentum back after that sequence.

Dalembert can be so inexplicably fucking bad on offense sometimes. Just baffling.

Boombloxer said:
It'll be a good series. Lawson vs Westbrook will be interesting, as will Durant vs Affalo, even though he defends differently than Artest.

A 6'5" guy guarding a 6'10" guy...? Yeah, don't think so. They'll more than likely have Wilson Chandler on him.

Oh, and fuck Ken Mauer. When is Stern gonna learn? It just doesn't work when you let mob families referee the NBA.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
http://twitter.com/SekouSmithNBA/status/53298159601979392

"Sources have informed me that Nique landed three solid blows on his alleged attacker, who swung at Nique but didn't land anything solid."

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/atlanta...s-booking-photo-after-dominique-wilkins-fight

Former NBA referee Rashan Michel had a beef with NBA Hall of Famer and Atlanta Hawks legend Dominique Wilkins. So instead of going to court get that money that Nique allegedly owed him for some "suits," he decided to settle it the old fashioned way -- with his fists.
But as you can see from this booking photo from the Fulton County Sheriff's Department, things didn't end up too well for Mr. Michel.
Michel*was a replacement ref in the '95-96 season and also officiated NBA games from 1997-2001. His NBA refereeing career overlapped with 'Nique when "The Human Highlight Film" was*winding down his career*with the Orlando Magic in the 1998-99 season.*He saw what a beast Wilkins was on the court and should know better than to try to throw down with the 6-foot-8 Wilkins -- especially on his own turf.
If you believe the reports from NBA.com Sekou Smith's sources, the "fight" was more like the*beatdown that Mike Tyson put on Marvis Frasier back in the day*-- you know he of the 30 second (actually less than 20 second) knockout.
Michel may have tried to land the first blow, but 'Nique landed three solid punches, while Michel didn't connect with anything solid.
As a parting gift, Michel spent the night at the Fulton County Jail, where he was booked on simple battery charges and held on a $1,000 bond. The Fulton County Sheriff Department's website says that he's still "in custody" as of early Thursday morning.
So not only did Michel allegedly lose out on a business deal, but he also lost a fight, his dignity and got himself a cellmate in the deal, too.
As for 'Nique, maybe there's a "Celebrity Boxing" deal in his future. One has a feeling that the 51-year-old Wilkins could hold his own against Jose*Ozzie*Canseco or whoever the former 'roid raging Oakland Athletics and "Celebrity Apprentice" star*has out there impersonating him in the ring.

Rashan_Michel_mugshot.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom