• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.
linsivvi said:
And you point is? Even the crappiest player is a millionaire. And so is every stupid dumb ass politician. So nobody can say bad things about them?

My point is that I've always thought it was fucked up to make fun of someone's appearance/physical attributes.
And I just wanted to point out that you shit talkers here would die to have a chance at his girl or someone of her level.

linsivvi said:
And you point is? Even the crappiest player is a millionaire. And so is every stupid dumb ass politician. So nobody can say bad things about them?

Not all NBA players make salaries over one million a year. Close to being millionaires, but not all of them have piles of money coming out there ass. Second, not "every stupid dumb ass politician" is a millionaire either. Most of the money politicians raise is not for personal use. If they make millions they make it by writing books and doing other things in that vein.

diehard

Fleer
ph33nix said:
I just watched the Kate Upton video for the 50th time today. (Linking again for my boy Duki's new rule)

I think this just needs to be my home page for a while.
Why though? There are far better videos of her. Which you will see in gif form if the Mavs win tonight.

ghostofsparta said:
My point is that I've always thought it was fucked up to make fun of someone's appearance/physical attributes.
And I just wanted to point out that you shit talkers here would die to have a chance at his girl or someone of her level.
Thanks for the after school special.

diehard

Fleer
ph33nix said:
It doesn't suck that she's a lesbian. Are you kidding me!?!? If I can't have her no man should have her.
Uh Kanye West is rumored to be dating here, where is this lesbian stuff coming from?

linsivvi

ghostofsparta said:

Who are the shit talkers? Who are this "you" that you're referring to? All Lakers fans? Me personally? Everyone on NBA GAF who've ever talked shit about a player? Everyone who post on the Internet?

Looks like you have an emotional problem.

ToyMachine228 said:
Not all NBA players make salaries over one million a year. Close to being millionaires, but not all of them have piles of money coming out there ass. Second, not "every stupid dumb ass politician" is a millionaire either. Most of the money politicians raise is not for personal use. If they make millions they make it by writing books and doing other things in that vein.

That still make them millionaires. And last time I checked, being a millionaire does not mean you have to make a million per year. NBA minimum salary is somewhere above 400K a year. Play 3 seasons in the league and you become a millionaire. Get cut before that? They can still go to Europe and make a decent salary.

My point about politicians is just an example and it can apply to pretty much every public figure. Just because they are famous and can get a better life does not mean common folks can't criticize them.

Shadow780 said:

I called this shit a few pages back:

ryutaro's mama said:
And Kobe isn't? This is the fucking playoffs man. You fucking ball, period. Suck that shit up and compete. Pau looks like a guy with other shit outside of basketball on his mind. He doesn't look tired but rather, unfocused. There is a difference. I think his girlfriend may have left him or cheated or something. That's what his body language looks like.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27617525&postcount=7552

Looks like I know my body language.

cuevas said:
Sucks that she's a lesbian.
lesbians_Lesbians-s422x600-36977-580.jpg

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Has Brenda posted a long form apology letter to the Mavs and Barea yet?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
linsivvi said:
Have you posted a long forum apology letter to the Lakers on behave of your country man yet?

I barely rever talk about Pau. Im not a huge fan of his. Besides, Pau gave them a championship last year so its not my fault if fans are spoiled or have short memories.

Brenda has spent all season saying his team sucked, his coach sucked, Barea was the worst player on the team and look at whats happening.

SamuraiX-

ryutaro's mama said:
I called this shit a few pages back:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27617525&postcount=7552

Looks like I know my body language.

I bet you it's Khloe. Who the fuck else would it be? Regardless, I'm gonna be watching Pau tonight to see if he behaves differently around anybody.

But seriously, man the fuck up. Whenever I'm having problems in life, the basketball court is one place where I can make them all disappear for a short time when I'm in the game.

If Pau plays like a bitch for Game 3 and 4 when the Fakeshow have their backs against the wall, he shouldn't even call himself a basketball player anymore.

SamuraiX- said:
But seriously, man the fuck up. Whenever I'm having problems in life, the basketball court is one place where I can make them all disappear for a short time when I'm in the game.

So we finally agree on something here.

Holy shit!

bjb

Banned
Why the fuck would Dwight Howard come to LA? I mean, seriously.

He's in beautiful weather, a new arena, and has every endorsement deal imaginable. At this point, the Magic have a brighter future than the Lakers.

Lastly why on earth would he want to be compared / linked to Shaq for the rest of his career.

Makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever. I know Laker fan needs some form of optimism at this point, but now its getting to be delusional.

Jeff-DSA

ryutaro's mama said:
So we finally agree on something here.

Holy shit!

I forgot...you going to E3?

I'll be there, but I'm a bit worried now because I might have to have ankle surgery, and it would most likely happen between the 11th and E3, which is bad, bad news if I have to go down on crutches.

Jeff-DSA said:
I forgot...you going to E3?

Yeah I'll be there.

I'll be there, but I'm a bit worried now because I might have to have ankle surgery, and it would most likely happen between the 11th and E3, which is bad, bad news if I have to go down on crutches.

Damn, that sucks.

I hope it doesn't come to that.

Jeff-DSA

ph33nix said:
I just watched the Kate Upton video for the 50th time today. (Linking again for my boy Duki's new rule)

I think this just needs to be my home page for a while.

Well, that's the first time I've never considered The Dougie annoying.

ryutaro's mama said:
Yeah I'll be there.

Nice, I'll hunt you down and bug you for a bit.

SUPREME1

Banned
bjb said:
Why the fuck would Dwight Howard come to LA? I mean, seriously.

He's in beautiful weather, a new arena, and has every endorsement deal imaginable. At this point, the Magic have a brighter future than the Lakers.

Lastly why on earth would he want to be compared / linked to Shaq for the rest of his career.

Makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever. I know Laker fan needs some form of optimism at this point, but now its getting to be delusional.

Yeah, I totally agree:

- L.A.'s weather does suck compared to Orlando
- L.A. historically bad when it comes to winning championships
- L.A. has never ever landed big players, like ever
- L.A.'s future sucks so much more than Orlando's because, well just because
- L.A. is the media capital of teh world, no way Dwight would like the spotlight
- L.A.'s just too big city, Dwight prefers smaller markets
- Why would Dwight risk Kupchak building around him, when you can stay teh course with Jameer and Turk! Not to mention STAN!!!

Lol. Delusional. Yeah.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Bryan Gutierrez of Mavs.com has a series of tweets from Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle in which he implores the American Airlines Crowd crowd to be like the Rose Garden during Game 3 of the Western Conference semifinals against the Los Angeles Lakers. During the Mavericks-Blazers first round series, Carlisle called the Rose Garden the "loudest place I've ever been."

Mavericks guard Jason Terry feels differently. "We’ve got a better crowd than them."
lol. Sure thing Jason. Sure thing.

diehard

Fleer
So you think Lebron is taking his mom over to Delonte's house when he is in town this weekend? Seeing how it's mothers day and all.

diehard

Fleer
linsivvi said:
Who cares? Since we're talking about hypothetical situations that's never going to happen.
I'm glad you're being realistic. I have a better chance with Ms. Upton.

... ok i don't :(

Bishman

John Hollinger on the Mavs up 2-0 vs. the Lakers:

How'd we miss on these guys?

In this case, it was universal. Stat geeks, pundits, scouts, whatever -- nobody was that keen on Dallas. But through eight playoff games, you can argue they've been the best postseason team. Only Miami, at 6-1, has a better postseason record, but the Heat have had five home games against soft opposition; the Mavs are 6-2 with five road games and have played two very good teams.

In particular, their offense has been majestic. Dallas leads all playoff teams in offensive efficiency and is second only to the Thunder in true shooting percentage. This mastery hasn't been more heralded largely because the Mavs played at a ridiculously slow pace in the Portland series.

So now, in 20/20 hindsight, it's time to look back and figure out why they've been better than anyone expected. Some of these are things the stat geeks missed, some are items the talking heads missed, but all of them are relevant to the Mavs' sub-radar entry into this postseason:

Dirk kicks butt in the playoffs

Because of the Mavs' unhappy playoff history, people are acting like this is the first time Nowitzki has ever done well in the playoffs. Ex-squeeze me? Baking powder? Nothing could be further from the truth -- Dirk has been monstrous in the postseason his whole career.

Apparently nobody remembers his annihilation of San Antonio and Phoenix in the Mavs' run to the 2006 Finals, or the shot over Miami's outstretched Shaquille O'Neal that preceded the Dwyane Wade-Bennett Salvatore shenanigans at the end of Game 5 of that year's Finals, or even the fourth-quarter eruption that momentarily saved the Mavs in Game 5 of the Golden State series.

For his career, Nowitzki is one of the rare players who has a better PER in playoff games than in the regular season, and sprinkled in there are plenty of huge fourth-quarter shots. He had a poor series against the Warriors in 2007, but go back and look at the last two months of that season -- he was struggling with something. Otherwise, he's been straight money his whole career.

Fun with point differential

Dallas' point differential for the season was an unimpressive plus-4.2, which was only the eighth-best figure in the league and hardly screams "contender" from the rooftops.

But a big chunk of that owes to a nine-game stretch that Dallas played without Nowitzki; the Mavs went 2-7 with a minus-5.3 scoring deficit. In their other games, their margin was plus-5.4, which is better but still not overwhelming.

But Nowitzki still struggled with his ankle when he returned; this was obvious both visibly and by a quick scan of his game log, which reveals he wasn't himself until the beginning of February. From that point to the end of the regular season, Dallas went 25-10 with a plus-6.2 scoring margin. Now, add in the 29 games before Nowitzki was hurt, when they were 24-5 with a plus-6.0 scoring margin.

Sum up the two and you're talking about a 49-15 record and the league's third-best scoring margin. Yes, I've cherry-picked all their best games, and you can do this exercise to "improve" a few other teams, too, most notably the Lakers.

Nonetheless, it's instructive when explaining why a team with an underwhelming 82-game résumé could be cruising through the first two rounds like this. Which is why I'm slapping my head over picking Portland in the first round -- as improved as the Gerald Wallace trade made the Blazers, Dallas also had ramped up over the final two months. From the beginning of February to the end of the season, Dallas had just one double-digit defeat.

Peja matters

I shrugged off this pickup as more replacement-level fodder for the end of Dallas' bench -- incorrectly as it turns out, because Peja Stojakovic had way more left in the tank than anyone expected. He is at 40 percent on 3s, posted a 15.25 PER in his late-season cameo and, more surprisingly, is moving well enough on D to garner 20-plus minutes off the pine.

Those minutes have been crucial, because they solved the Mavs' Achilles' heel -- the back of the forward rotation. Peja's minutes used to go to a motley crew of replacement-level scrubs (Brian Cardinal, Sasha Pavlovic, Ian Mahinmi, etc.), contributing to the Mavs' wild on-court versus off-court swings whenever Nowitzki left the game. When Stojakovic plays at least 19 minutes, the Mavs are 21-4 (including playoffs).

Beaubois' injury may have helped them

I'm a big Roddy guy long-term, and I figured losing him in the Portland series would really hurt the Mavs. It turns out that it probably helped, as the current four-man guard rotation has more options than the "we can go small and fast, or fast and small" variety offered by a Kidd-Beaubois-Barea-Terry quartet.

In fact, you can take this a step further. When you look at the Mavs' plus/minus stats from the regular season, the fact they're playing better in the playoffs isn't as big a surprise.

Dallas' three worst performers in that stat, according to basketballvalue.com, were Beaubois, Cardinal and Pavlovic. (I excluded Corey Brewer here, whose numbers were dragged down by his time with the lowly Timberwolves.) Not coincidentally, the three Mavericks who saw at least 100 minutes in the regular season and have seen virtually none in the playoffs are Beaubois, Cardinal and the since-departed Pavlovic.

Every team eliminates ineffective players from the rotation during the playoffs, but the combo of adding Peja and eliminating the three worst offenders appears to have done this in a particularly efficient way for Dallas.

All told, it's one of many subtle ways the Mavs are punching above their regular-season weight, and we all pretty much missed it. Of course, they still have to take care of business by winning two of the next five games to complete their unexpected triumph, but at this point they have an overwhelming advantage that almost nobody expected.

Ninja Scooter said:
We can get Dwight or CP3...but not both.

Kinda like you can get Amare and Melo in the same year or not get swept in the first round...but not both.

or

Lose either your best player or your long tenured head coach in the same year...or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom