• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT| Beautiful Black Bodies on Top

Yeah he had some bad plays in a B2B game at 34. OMG he sux

It's been like that all season and you know it.

Anyway, I like Kobe having to defend on ball again. It forces him to allow Nash to handle the ball more on offense as well, which gets Kobe easier looks (as well as everyone else).

Also glad Nash used up one of his rare crappy outside shooting nights in a blowout win.

Cloudy

Banned
Brandon Jennings on Kobe tonight: "Probably the best defense anybody's played on me since I've been in the league."

More Jennings on @kobebryant: "For the whole game, I don't think I've ever seen a guard put that much pressure on a point guard full-court."

It's just embarrassing that haters like Simmons are allowed to be on tv lumping Kobe and Nash together as the same caliber of defender. Worse yet, idiot fans buy into this crap

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
It's just embarrassing that haters like Simmons are allowed to be on tv lumping Kobe and Nash together as the same caliber of defender. Worse yet, idiot fans buy into this crap

Its not embarrassing. Its not anything. Its just media. Its not as if its unplanned. Simmons is known to be Mr. Boston and to hate the Lakers. Him talking like that just spurs ratings and "social media" activity. I'd guarantee they encourage him to do it. First Take is based off these two things entirely.

Some of you guys take it too seriously.

ISOM

Totally agree especially about media guys like bill simmons with their kobe hate agenda.

I don't know if you've been paying attention but Simmons been giving Kobe props the entire year to the point that Boston is mad at him. Kobe isn't a terrible defender but all-defensive team he is not.

Simmons also tweeted that he didn't want to talk about the Lakers, but that's the script they are given....

linsivvi

LMAO Brandon Jennings shooting under 30% happens once every 4 games.

And I am not exaggerating at all. Check his game log.

I don't know how people can root for the Bucks.

Edit: Fun fact: the same can be said for Monta Ellis.

Doomsayer

Its not embarrassing. Its not anything. Its just media. Its not as if its unplanned. Simmons is known to be Mr. Boston and to hate the Lakers. Him talking like that just spurs ratings and "social media" activity. I'd guarantee they encourage him to do it. First Take is based off these two things entirely.

Some of you guys take it too seriously.

This, 100% this.

718186573.jpg

Amir Khan and Ronnie Brewer hanging in London

Dwight had very few iso post ups or P&R plays tonight. He scored mostly by establishing great position inside and just powering over guys with the ball or off lobs.

Will good teams let him get that deep or not hack him? We'll start to see on Thursday

Miami puts way more ball pressure. And they like to front more. They have to swing the ball.

Vahagn

also Brandon Jennings routinely shuts himself down every other game

neolakes > *

Anyone who watched the game knows that Jennings didn't just *happen* to shoot poorly on his own. Kobe's been the best defender on the team, and probably in the league the last two games. If he had the energy to play like this all year he'd be a top 3 choice for DPOY. Jennings couldn't even touch the ball for stretches cause of the denial D - same with Kyrie last game.

If Lakers are smart they'll put Kobe on LBJ next game. If he plays this kind of shadowing denial D - any play Lebron doesn't run the offense is a win win. When Lebron does touch it - Kobe plays vs. Rondo defense and force Lebron to fall in love with cushioned 3 point shots. Adjust if he's hitting them, but force him to rely on his jumper with a sagging Kobe and Dwight shadowing ready to help on drives. If Lebron posts Kobe up, force him to score and if he is, bring the double to get it out of his hands.

Should be an interesting chess game - I just hope we don't get run out the gym on fast breaks all day!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Brandon Jennings is probably the most inconsistent me-first point guard worth talking about in the league.

But don't let me stop your dream scenario of Kobe being a good defender again.

Anyone who watched the game knows that Jennings didn't just *happen* to shoot poorly on his own. Kobe's been the best defender on the team, and probably in the league the last two games. If he had the energy to play like this all year he'd be a top 3 choice for DPOY. Jennings couldn't even touch the ball for stretches cause of the denial D - same with Kyrie last game.

If Lakers are smart they'll put Kobe on LBJ next game. If he plays this kind of shadowing denial D - any play Lebron doesn't run the offense is a win win. When Lebron does touch it - Kobe plays vs. Rondo defense and force Lebron to fall in love with cushioned 3 point shots. Adjust if he's hitting them, but force him to rely on his jumper with a sagging Kobe and Dwight shadowing ready to help on drives. If Lebron posts Kobe up, force him to score and if he is, bring the double to get it out of his hands.

Should be an interesting chess game - I just hope we don't get run out the gym on fast breaks all day!

goddamn you go hard in the paint.

lawd

If they keep putting Kobe on the best offensive player (within reason, he ain't guarding Bron/KD too much) Kobe is gonna guard Wade, Derozan, Deng?, Conley?, Hayward?, YNB

ESPN might go full-ESPN on 'Kobe, elite defender, is back!' given how inconsistent some of those players can be.

Knicks getting ready for practice in London: http://instagram.com/p/UiyjfIqA9G/ a.k.a. Suffer a gruesome knee injury and have a job for life with the Knicks.

Amar'e talking to London ballers at The Regal in London before holding a Nike Master Class Clinic. : http://www.whosay.com/tinacervasio/photos/275680

Damn, Amar'e smile screams "Defense? You don't have to worry about playing defense in the NBA!"

Injury news:
Alan Hahn said:
Felton is over three weeks into the 4 to 6 week recovery period set for his fractured right pinkie. He expected to be back by the earlier portion of the timeframe and appears to be on track.

Felton has been doing conditioning off the court and just recently started running on the court. There is, however, a big difference between regular cardio work and basketball conditioning, especially for a point guard, who has to handle the ball. Felton's injury hasn't allowed him to do much with a basketball for over three weeks.

The Knicks have missed their starting point guard over this stretch and are likely to be without him for two more critical games -- Monday against the Nets and next Thursday against the Celtics -- but Felton is aiming to return to action for the Jan. 26 game against the 76ers.
Amar'e Stoudemire's minutes have been increased to 30, Woodson said. Stoudemire also knows Woodson won't play him down the stretch in close games if his defense is a liability. That's never happened before in his career, either.
STAT to never play down the stretch ever again.

EDIT: JESUS FUCKING CHRIST SHUMPERT PLEASE DO NOT WEAR THOSE SHOES TOMORROW.

Cloudy

Banned
Can we all agree that Dwight isn't "hurt" anymore? I'm gonna go hard at anyone who talks about his back if he ever has another complete no-show game

Knicks getting ready for practice in London: http://instagram.com/p/UiyjfIqA9G/ a.k.a. Suffer a gruesome knee injury and have a job for life with the Knicks.

Amar'e talking to London ballers at The Regal in London before holding a Nike Master Class Clinic. : http://www.whosay.com/tinacervasio/photos/275680

Damn, Amar'e smile screams "Defense? You don't have to worry about playing defense in the NBA!"

Injury news:

STAT to never play down the stretch ever again.

EDIT: JESUS FUCKING CHRIST SHUMPERT PLEASE DO NOT WEAR THOSE SHOES TOMORROW.

nice, hope felton isnt rushing it and is as close to 100% as possible. cant wait for shump to return but hope the dude isnt all bark and no bite.

man i forgot the game was at 3pm tomorrow. always assume theyre at 730 or 8.

linsivvi

It ain't over yet.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8846577/mayor-kevin-johnson-present-counteroffer-sacramento-kings

Speaking at the annual State of Downtown breakfast on Tuesday, Johnson said he has received approval from NBA commissioner David Stern to present a counteroffer to the league from buyers who would keep the team in Sacramento.

He said the city is in a "six-week sprint" to put together a proposal for the NBA's Board of Governors to consider over a potential sale and relocation to Seattle.
The mayor called the potential $500 million to $525 million price tag for the Kings an "outrageous number." He admits potential buyers he could pull together in Sacramento will not top that figure, but he also doesn't believe it has to.

Johnson said the Maloof family still must repay a $77 million loan to the city and other lenders if they leave. There also could be a potential relocation fee from the NBA that new owners wouldn't have to pay if the team stayed.

Subtracting those totals and adding the "proven support" Kings fans have shown in the past, Johnson's goal is to line up buyers willing to pay about $400 million to $425 million for the team and argue Sacramento's side to the league.

Emwitus

Can we all agree that Dwight isn't "hurt" anymore? I'm gonna go hard at anyone who talks about his back if he ever has another complete no-show game

Are you ever the same after back surgery? I mean even the mental aspect of your game changes if you think you might reinjure it.

Cloudy

Banned
Are you ever the same after back surgery? I mean even the mental aspect of your game changes if you think you might reinjure it.

I don't know. What I do know is that his bad games get explained with his injury (not by him though) even though he's only struggled at things that require no athleticism.

Dwight has been skying for dunks and blocks since the opener. His only struggles have been on post-ups when he's not allowed to get deep position, turnovers and of course fts

I don't know. What I do know is that his bad games get explained with his injury (not by him though) even though he's only struggled at things that require no athleticism.

Dwight has been skying for dunks and blocks since the opener. His only struggles have been on post-ups when he's not allowed to get deep position and of course fts

LOL.

...I don't even know where to begin.

Top Bottom