• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT| Beautiful Black Bodies on Top

C'mon Mike. You know you want Pau like a pair of JNCOs.

Somewhere in an LA prop room, the key to making that trade go down lies in a musty cardboard box.

90sjeans.jpg

Unless Colangelo can find the denim treasure first!

Andrea Bargnani + 8 pairs of 90s mom jeans for...whatever. Do it Bryan!

Jarlaxle

That's this years. They have to have next years pick as the NBA doesn't allow teams to trade away picks in consecutive years. They basically traded every other pick for the next few years in the Sessions and Nash trades.

I know PHX has their 2015 lotto pick as well (top 5 protected).

I still don't even get how the Lakers' record is this bad. It's logic-defying with that roster.

Yeah I don't even understand it at all

You can talk about bench, but when you've got 4 all-star caliber players then your roster on the floor at all times should only be so bad.

Then you can talk about defense, but there are teams out there with worse defenders that have a better record.

So I have no idea whats up with them. I think it has to be some internal rage going on at this point. I think Dwights gone.

Yeah I don't even understand it at all

You can talk about bench, but when you've got 4 all-star caliber players then your roster on the floor at all times should only be so bad.

And Metta World Artest + Jamison. Not saying those guys will still win you games, but they know how to play. Blake + Duhon are veterans. Whatever that adds up to, it's not the 10th worst team in the league.

KingKong

They did have some key injuries which, considering their awful bench, were a pretty big deal, but I don't know why the defense is so bad.

Sure, Kobe and Nash are pretty poor defenders and Dwight might not be 100% healthy, but it just looks like they don't communicate or have any kind of scheme on defense.

This might be the most disappointing team ever considering people were locking them in for the Finals in the offseason. It really is amazing when you consider that they had the #3 seed last year and the #2 seed 2 years ago and they added Nash and replaced Bynum with Dwight

I mean, this team won 41 out of 66 games and had an above average defense: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2012.html

The Lakers have had some terrible luck close in games and are probably a good bit better than their record (their MOV is still +1.1 somehow), but they're imploding right now and Kobe has broken down so they don't have the time for their luck to change. If either Dwight or Pau could move like they used to, they could play together fine and the team would be a lot better, but they aren't moving like they to. If Nash hadn't broken his leg, Kobe might have been able to pace himself and able to still play well in this current and later part of the season, but that also happened. Lot of bad luck hitting the Lakers for once.

edit: Jamison+Duhon aren't NBA caliber.

linsivvi

I'm not saying DAntoni is awful or blaming his coaching ability as much as the timing of the hire. I don't particularly care for Pringles but if you are bringing him in, do it in the offseason so he has time to get his system integrated and the FO has time to give him a roster equipped to run it. As for Brown, he's just incompetent and they should have fired him after last seasons collapse when it became clear he had no respect from the team and had no business coaching a veteran group.

Nah Pringles suck way more than Mike Brown. Anyway, it's bad karma from mistreating Brian Shaw. Fuck Jim Buss that's all I am saying.

does Hedo still play? i totally forgot about him.

hurt his hand the first game of the season, came back last month for a few games and did about as well as you can expect (PER of 3.9); he's now out indefinitely until he "regains confidence" in the strength of his hand

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

KingKong

Mike Brown was a good coach (that had more playoff success with an old Laker team than Phil by the way) that wasn't given nearly enough time for a new injured roster and I have no doubt that the Lakers would be above .500 with him

at the very least he knew how to use Gasol

Damn son

Shit is looking worse than I expected in the tank game.

Nearly every draft position is separated by 1 or 2 games. Wiz can literally play themselves out of the top 5 in like 2 weeks of playing the .65 + ball they've played since Walls return.

ALL IN FOR LEN

:(

dalVlatko

Mike Brown was never a good coach.

Ever.

No seriously, i could coach a Lebron team to some playoff wins.

He should get credit for the Cavs always being one of the best defensive teams, the problem was that the offense always ended up being Lebron iso after Lebron iso

KingGondo

Banned
Why can't the Raps play in a real conference?

They still suck, but there are lots of scenarios in which they could make the playoffs.

The Least is such a joke.

He should get credit for the Cavs always being one of the best defensive teams, the problem was that the offense always ended up being Lebron iso after Lebron iso

Unless it's a USA basketball roster that's pretty much the only way LeBron plays for anyone. He's just best with the ball in his hands creating for others.

The Heat didn't do shit until they stopped the BS and Wade accepted his status as a beta male.

DY_nasty

Damn son

Shit is looking worse than I expected in the tank game.

Nearly every draft position is separated by 1 or 2 games. Wiz can literally play themselves out of the top 5 in like 2 weeks of playing the .65 + ball they've played since Walls return.

ALL IN FOR LEN

:(

Wall is going to play well enough to get you guys picking between 7-10 then he'll remember that he's fucking trash next year - but the Wizards will still give him the fat booty extension. At the end of next year, Beal will begin his ascension to Roy 2.0 status but the FO will be all "we can't afford to keep him" "this is Wall's team" etc and he'll go to Portland or something while the Wiz keep waiting for Vesely to have a breakout season that'll never come.

Everyone uses the bobcats as a bullshit bluff these days.

You know you're in a rough spot when people are willing to believe your owner will trade for anybody.

But seriously though, like the article says, that 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft you guys are in line for might be enough to pry versatile scoring threat Andrea Bargnani away from the Raptors.

Why can't the Raps play in a real conference?

They still suck, but there are lots of scenarios in which they could make the playoffs.

The Least is such a joke.

How many of those scenarios involve Martian invasions of the United States or Shadowrun type scenarios where where European guys all evolve into flying warrior hawk men?

DY_nasty

You know you're in a rough spot when people are willing to believe your owner will trade for anybody.

But seriously though, like the article says, that 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft you guys are in line for might be enough to pry versatile scoring threat Andrea Bargnani away from the Raptors.

Probably should throw in MKG just to be safe. Maybe if we add Kemba we could convince you to add Advanced Stat?

KingGondo

Banned
How many of those scenarios involve Martian invasions of the United States or Shadowrun type scenarios where where European guys all evolve into flying warrior hawk men?
They're in 11th, only 2 games out of the 9th spot. If the Bucks collapse (which is definitely feasible) the Raps could be in.

I guess it's not as likely as I initially thought. Guess I'm just bitter that they're not hanging around the 5 pick, which would be ideal for OKC.

Mothman91

Wall is going to play well enough to get you guys picking between 7-10 then he'll remember that he's fucking trash next year - but the Wizards will still give him the fat booty extension. At the end of next year, Beal will begin his ascension to Roy 2.0 status but the FO will be all "we can't afford to keep him" "this is Wall's team" etc and he'll go to Portland or something while the Wiz keep waiting for Vesely to have a breakout season that'll never come.
Is this what you daydream at work all day DY?

you're saying all of this like it even matters

There are like 3 franchise changing players in the league right now.

none of us have any hope

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Daryl Morey said:
I think playoffs will take 43-45 wins in West RT @DynaRox How many wins do you think gets in the playoffs in the WEST as an 8th seed?

dalVlatko

who cares when he wastes them on Tristan Thompsons and Dion Waiters

How are they wasted picks when Dion is the third best player from the draft at this point and Tristian is averaging 14/11 since Varejao went out.

If they took Valanciunas and Barnes/Drummond they wouldn't be any better of a position. Any other player he picked would have been even bigger of a reach than Waiters and Thompson

DY_nasty

3rd best WHAT?

and tristan still hasn't cracked 50% fg shooting yet. i'd like to say he's on the road to being another humphries but he plays soft like jello
Jimmy Buckets

good old solid footwork

its all about the #fundamentals

lol, there is no chance in hell of that happening. It's funny that all the hack sports writers out there keep including us in these rediculous fantasy trades though, it's nice to want things.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
So full deal is Speights, Selby, Ellington and pick to Cleveland for Jon Leuer. Welcome to luxury taxonomics.
The pick Memphis sends to Cleveland is protected 1-5 and 15-30 in 2015 and '16; 1-5 protected in '17 and '18; unprotected in '19.

WHAT THE FUCK

DY_nasty

Selby, Ellington, and Speights are arguably better than everyone on that team other than Kyrie lol

Top Bottom