• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT| Beautiful Black Bodies on Top

Literally better than every big on your roster.

Great. We can improve from being the 11th best team in the West to the 10th while taking on another 4 years of mediocre play. Who gives a fuck about marginally improving a roster that sucks?

edit: Nash is not available for amnesty because his contract was signed after hte last CBA, IIRC.

Bropez has been great this year and there's reason to believe Dwight won't come back all the way so I doubt the Nets would trade Bropez for Dwight at this point...

Could see something like:

Lakers get: Ben Gordon, Mosgov, Portland #1, Nuggets and Knicks' upcoming first round picks

Bobcats get: McGee, Magic Randolph

Nuggets get: Dwight

As the Nuggets hope that Dwight can recover. That's probably the minimum of what Dwight would fetch in a trade I suppose though. He could still recover and turn back into an MVP candidate so there's probably a team willing to give up a bit for the potential that it happens and gets them over the top.

scottie-and-larsa.jpg

Bald Pippen is so weird.

hello nurse.
Wear a Kobe jersey

i'd troll with my kobe/vintage baby blue LA jersey, but those days are long gone.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Great. We can improve from being the 11th best team in the West to the 10th while taking on another 4 years of mediocre play. Who gives a fuck about marginally improving a roster that sucks?

edit: Nash is not available for amnesty because his contract was signed after hte last CBA, IIRC.
I would do it. Lopez' contract expires in 2016, anyway, and he's a good deal cheaper than Howard.

Who would you rather have at center anyway that is legitimately available? We would still have plenty of capspace in 2014 and we could use the picks.

I would do it. Lopez' contract expires in 2016, anyway, and he's a good deal cheaper than Howard.

Who would you rather have at center anyway that is legitimately available? We would still have plenty of capspace in 2014 and we could use the picks.

for a rebuild? Anybody. It would be a stupid trade in every way. Doesn't make us better in the short term and hamstrings us in the long term.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
for a rebuild? Anybody. It would be a stupid trade in every way. Doesn't make us better in the short term and hamstrings us in the long term.
How, though? It gets us a good center for the long term, and preserves our cap space in 2014, while giving us extra assets for either a trade or draft work.

Of course, this is working under the premise that Howard leaves at the end of the season.

And again, his contract expires in 2016. If you don't like him after 2014-2015, he becomes a very desirable trading piece as an expiring.

How, though? It gets us a good center for the long term, and preserves our cap space in 2014, while giving us extra assets for either a trade or draft work.

Of course, this is working under the premise that Howard leaves at the end of the season.

And again, his contract expires in 2016.

I don't want any parts of a Brook Lopez long term/big money contract. I don't care how well he's playing now, he's got past history of simply being a mediocre big man, and I doubt his game will age well. He's not a building block for a team looking to rebuild in 2014. I'd rather test my luck with free agency or call Dwight's bluff and see if he resigns if you want to have a C on the books.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I don't want any parts of a Brook Lopez long term/big money contract. I don't care how well he's playing now, he's got past history of simply being a mediocre big man, and I doubt his game will age well. He's not a building block for a team looking to rebuild in 2014. I'd rather test my luck with free agency.
What free agency? What center would be available, and like I said, it would just really be for one year. 2014-2015, and you still have enough cap space to sign anyone. After that, he becomes a desirable expiring contract.

My fear is that the Lakers end up with a ton of cap space in 2014, but outside of Love, don't know who to sign. So, they end up spending way too much money on a bunch of mediocre guys, and that really hurts them.

What free agency? What center would be available, and like I said, it would just really be for one year. 2014-2015, and you still have enough cap space to sign anyone. After that, he becomes a desirable expiring contract.

My fear is that the Lakers end up with a ton of cap space in 2014, but outside of Love, don't know who to sign. So, they end up spending way too much money on a bunch of mediocre guys, and that really hurts them.

What I am saying is I'd rather go into 2014 with free money, than with Brook Lopez on the books. Brook doesn't add anything long or short term. It's just a panic trade to ditch Dwight. Let Dwight play this year out, see if he will resign in the offseason. There is no reason to add Brook.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
What I am saying is I'd rather go into 2014 with free money, than with Brook Lopez on the books. Brook doesn't add anything long or short term. It's just a panic trade to ditch Dwight. Let Dwight play this year out, see if he will resign in the offseason. There is no reason to add Brook.
Yeah, but you'll have no assets then besides a dying Nash. With this deal, you'll get a potentially desirable expiring contract and a bunch of picks.

I mean, it won't happen, but still.

Canuck76

Banned
Can we have an off-season thread yet so all this Laker talk can move there?

I kind of like this actually. It's like an unsolvable math problem

Is there any way to make the lakers good?

Will we ever find a way? Tune in next time and we might even ponder trading Kobe.

Doomsayer

I thought about making a nice montage of off-season posts but ..

i'm really lazy.

Weren't half the people saying the Lakers would cruise... not Laker fans?

I think most of us said our Coach at the time was still terrible, as was our bench. At least some of us did...

Oh, I'm finally saying the season is over. No reason we should have lost the last two games the way we did.

Kobe looks gassed.

Cloudy

Banned
It's time to stop blaming D'Antoni IMO. With all the so-called talent on this team, you'd think we'd luck into some wins if we were any good. Here's a hint: We're not!

Remember when Vinny Del Negro was a bad coach the last few years? Well you don't hear calls for him to be fired anymore. What changed? Did he suddenly become a great coach now that they're a contender?

Nope. They just added a lot of talent.

Coaching might win championships but talent wins games. We can't even win games, people. This was bigger than Brown and it's bigger than D'Antoni...

It's time to stop blaming D'Antoni IMO. With all the so-called talent on this team, you'd think we'd luck into some wins if we were any good. Here's a hint: We're not!

Remember when Vinny Del Negro was a bad coach the last few years? Well you don't hear calls for him to be fired anymore. What changed? Did he suddenly become a great coach now that they're a contender?

Coaching might win championships but talent wins games. We can't even win games, people. This was bigger than Brown and it's bigger than D'Antoni...

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=155971

i hate reading your arguments..twice.

etiolate

Banned
Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski
It's been misreported that SAC is just now responding. Plans have been in the works for months, needed Maloofs to go public

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski
Sources confirm 2 p.m. presser for KJ in SAC. At least three ownership groups with "heavy hitters" in the mix.

The push to keep the Sacramento Kings from moving to Seattle has officially become political. And the gloves, as was expected, have come off in this seemingly-unfair fight.

In a letter intended for California Department of General Services director Fred Klass that was distributed to USA TODAY Sports and a select few other media outlets, California Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg raises questions and concerns about Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's involvement in the proposed purchase of the Kings while lobbing veiled threats all along the way. Ballmer is part of the Seattle-based group that has reached an agreement with the Maloof family that owns the team to buy a majority interest for approximately $341 million (based on a $525 million total valuation of the franchise).

As part of the deal, the Maloofs - who will retain a small percentage of ownership in the Sonics but will have no say in personnel or business matters - will also receive a non-refundable $30 million deposit on Feb. 1 from the Hansen-Ballmer group that is seen as an insurance policy of sorts.

• While Hansen deemed the deal "binding" in his statement on Monday, Stern has already made it clear to Sacramento mayor and former NBA point guard Kevin Johnson will have a chance to present a counter-offer to the Board of Governors, though the timing is not yet known. What's more, a person with knowledge of the Maloofs' situation told USA TODAY Sports that it remains possible – depending on how the NBA handles the process going forward – they could sell to a Sacramento-based group if a competitive offer materialized. The person requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the situation.
-USA Today

Also, reports that the 30 million non-refundable that Hansen gave the Maloofs could be used as grounds for a Lawsuit should the NBA decide to block the sale. That would explain its possible purpose. I can't find a link for that report though, so maybe a bunch of horseshit.

Anyways, this may get ugly.

linsivvi

Antoni is a lot worse than Vinny Del Negro.

He's Isaiah Thomas tier bad.

Top Bottom