• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Nintendo DS bullshit goes in here

arter_2

seismologist said:
Did you guys see the DS on Pulse? They showed footage of Ridge Racer and Feel the Magic.

Both looked pretty sweet. It seemed like they weren't too impressed with the DS design though.

did any one tivo this.

sasimirobot

aoi tsuki said:
Some DS users will also want to look into screen protectors. They're removable, thin sheets of plastic that protect the screen from scratches. Most muddy the screen a bit, but it's a small price to pay for protecting the screen from scratches. As much as i trust Nintendo for making solid products that take torture, i just don't trust them to make a scratch-proof screen. Even a plastic stylus can wear a screen down, especially near the center or any other spot that gets a lot of use. i don't expect the launch protectors to be good, but hopefully Brando (http://shop.brando.com.hk/) will rush to the DS scene with some of their awesome, reusable, nearly invisible protectors.

Couldnt you just buy one of those and cut it down to size with a razor or something?
Looks like a good idea...

aoi tsuki

sasimirobot said:
Couldnt you just buy one of those and cut it down to size with a razor or something?
Looks like a good idea...
Definitely. i'd need to get the dimensions of the DS screen and compare that to the ones available. Come to think of it, i've got some old WriteRight protectors i need to get rid of. Thanks for reminding me! ^_^

olimario

Banned
TO ALL
Any chance of Blizzard support on the DS?
Warcraft 2 would work wonderfully with the dual screen and touch screen.
Same with Starcraft and Diablo 2.

I imagine they would sell DS systems to PC gamers as well.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
olimario said:
TO ALL
Any chance of Blizzard support on the DS?
Warcraft 2 would work wonderfully with the dual screen and touch screen.
Same with Starcraft and Diablo 2.

I imagine they would sell DS systems to PC gamers as well.
WARLOCKED DS WHERE FOR ART THOU?

Bits Studios made a very good RTS game for the GBC. Well it isn't that great these days but for a handheld at that time? Hell yes.
http://www.gameboyadvance.com/warlocked/

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
TekunoRobby said:
WARLOCKED DS WHERE FOR ART THOU?

Bits Studios made a very good RTS game for the GBC. Well it isn't that great these days but for a handheld at that time? Hell yes.
http://www.gameboyadvance.com/warlocked/

Weren't they MAKING a GBA Warlocked sequel, called "Wizards" or something like that? Whatever happened to that? I remember seeing information about it during the first year or so of the GBA's life.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
DavidDayton said:
Weren't they MAKING a GBA Warlocked sequel, called "Wizards" or something like that? Whatever happened to that? I remember seeing information about it during the first year or so of the GBA's life.
Nothing at all was announced regarding the game other than it was cancelled. Which is really sad since there's a distinct lack of RTS in the GBA lineup and the fact that Warlocked worked so amazingly well.

Here's a direct link to the only video that I could find:
http://pocketmovies.ign.com/media/previews/video/wizards/wizards.avi

The stylus would be fantastic for an RTS game and is far more intuitive than a d-pad. You can use the d-pad to move the camera around the map and use the stylus to select units, it would be very simple to implement. By using the preassure sensitive feautes, tapping, and the R & L buttons you can create an effective and easy to play game. I sincerely hope some form of RTS comes down the pipe (preferably a C&C or Warcraft clone).

MrparisSM

Banned
This is a letter I wrote on the Nintendo.com Forums back when the DS was first revealed at E3. Maybe they listened? Then again, maybe not. :D

"First I want to applaud you. I couldn't be more excited about the direction you are steering the video game industry in. Originality and innovation have always been what you guys do best. From the shoulder buttons on the SNES, the analog stick on the N64, the rumble pak, to the mini-dvd discs for the Gamecube. You have always lead the pack. The problem lies in that you always let Sony "perfect" what you've done. Although you are the first, you always seem to miss some key detail that would have made the idea 10 times better. The dual shock controller for the PS1 had TWO analog sticks(instead of the N64s 1), it had Built-in force-feedback, which required NO batteries!, their controller also had 4 shoulder buttons instead of 2. Now they are using the mini-dvd disc and using it for their upcoming PSP. Which to me seems like the perfect use for such a small media disc. I'm mentioning all this because I'm worried about the upcoming fight against the DS and the PSP. I have faith in Nintendo, and I do believe they will come out on top, but to GUARANTEE complete destruction of the PSP, these points need to be addressed.

1. As everyone knows and I'm sure even Nintendo, the DS needs an ultra sleek and sexy case. It can't be the foldable brick that it is now. and it does not need to be two-toned. All Black would be just fine for the moment. And for the love of God please don't choose PURPLE!!! I'm pretty sure you want, but I just have to reiterate that! Purple is really the only reason Gamecube got that kiddy image when it first came out.

2. The Picto-chat feature needs to be built into EVERY DS. Making it a seperate software title will limit the market, and dumb-down a very cool feature that the DS is capable of. This is a MUST HAVE feature for EVERY DS. First off it's a feature that the PSP won't be able to duplicate thus giving the DS an edge. Secondly it creates a sort of community amongst DS owners and everyone likes to be apart of something. Chatting wirelessly would be a great killer app for people that are in school and college.

3. Price: another key advantage that the DS should leverage is the price issue. It should cost no more then $150. And once the PSP launches drop the price to $129 or $99! That will really hit Sony where it hurts! ;)

4. Analog nub: if it is AT ALL possible, an analog nub needs to be apart of the DS unit. Since the DS will have a lot of 3d games aswell as 2d, 360 degree controll is a MUST. Who wants to control Mario 64 in huge 3d environments with only 8 directional control!?? If Nintendo is truly about the games and gameplay, they will stop being cheap and somehow integrate an analog stick into the unit. If it costs them an extra $10 per unit that they have to eat, so be it.

5. Graphics: There are a LOT and I do mean a LOT of Graphics whores out there. And I'm not ashamed to admit I'm one of them to a degree. Millions of people will pick the portable with the best graphics and not worry about anything else. The PSP has outstanding graphics and an outstanding screen, both they will use to try and kick Nintendo from the top of the handheld market. Nintendo if at all possible, needs to include some built-in graphic effects similar to what the N64 had. They can't be bare-bones about it. It needs to have built-in mimpapping, anti-aliasing the whole nine yards. I've seen movies of the DS in action and the only faults I've seen in the graphics is the walls are so pixalated which would be helped out tremendously with mip-mapping(something even the N64 had!).

OK, these are the few dinks in Nintendo's armor that I see in the upcoming battle, if you agree or disagree feel free to comment. :) Add anything else you think Nintendo should consider. Peace to everyone! Long live Nintendo! :) "

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Should have stressed online play in that list. They say you can play across time zones in the E3 conference but they haven't announced anything about online play for its games

MrparisSM

Banned
although online play would be cool on the DS, how much would it truely be used? I don't think that would be a key feature to have unless they could connect directly long distances. A lot of people don't have Wi-Fi access...

MrparisSM said:
although online play would be cool on the DS, how much would it truely be used? I don't think that would be a key feature to have unless they could connect directly long distances. A lot of people don't have Wi-Fi access...

Not many people have broadband, but there's still a market for it. All you have to do is buy a wireless access point, and those are pretty cheap.

neptunes

I didn't buy a router until the ps2 went online (ages ago)

Though most of your suggestions was the common outcry from most people who were interested in the DS.

Mr Gump

Banned
4. Analog nub: if it is AT ALL possible, an analog nub needs to be apart of the DS unit. Since the DS will have a lot of 3d games aswell as 2d, 360 degree controll is a MUST. Who wants to control Mario 64 in huge 3d environments with only 8 directional control!?? If Nintendo is truly about the games and gameplay, they will stop being cheap and somehow integrate an analog stick into the unit. If it costs them an extra $10 per unit that they have to eat, so be it.

5. Graphics: There are a LOT and I do mean a LOT of Graphics whores out there. And I'm not ashamed to admit I'm one of them to a degree. Millions of people will pick the portable with the best graphics and not worry about anything else. The PSP has outstanding graphics and an outstanding screen, both they will use to try and kick Nintendo from the top of the handheld market. Nintendo if at all possible, needs to include some built-in graphic effects similar to what the N64 had. They can't be bare-bones about it. It needs to have built-in mimpapping, anti-aliasing the whole nine yards. I've seen movies of the DS in action and the only faults I've seen in the graphics is the walls are so pixalated which would be helped out tremendously with mip-mapping(something even the N64 had!).
Yeah, they listened all right..

dog$

Hates quality gaming
OF COURSE Nintendo listened to ONLY YOU out of their choice of MILLIONS of people that post letters on the INTERNET.

BECAUSE, you know, the fully ORGANIZED list with NUMBERS gives a LOGICAL basis to your POINTS which are only further SUPPORTED by your USE of multiple PUNCUATION MARKS and random FULLY CAPITALIZED words.

Am I RIGHT?!?!!?

contrasting this with PSP's rumoured region coded UMDs.. we have a winner.

I believe it HAS been confirmed.

(should go in MONSTER DS sticky)

AirBrian

Sorry if old:
Nintendo DS Region Free...
...The Confirmation We Have Been Waiting For!

Many people have been deliberating over whether the forthcoming portable, Nintendo DS, will be region free or not. The signs were indeed pointing favourably toward a total lack of region lockout since the system is designed to play GBA cartridges (which can be played on any GBA across the world) as well as DS media cards. However, many decided to remain sceptical until official confirmation was provided.

Now, though, we have email proof of the region-free nature of the new hardware:

"Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

It may interest you to know that the Nintendo DS will be a universal system that can be played anywhere on the planet. Further, it can play games purchased anywhere. Please note, however, that accessories purchased in different parts of the world may not be compatible with the Nintendo DS you purchase.

I hope you find this information useful!

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.

Mitch Crim"

That email comes straight from NoA and is about as solid as it gets in terms of an answer. Many thanks have to go out to Weinberg2002 of the Nintendo HQ forums who took the time to email the company!

Get those import orders in now then folks. You know where to click: Lik Sang.
http://www.cubed-3.co.uk/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2882

Jonnyram

AFAIK, all DSs have the language option, including about 5 or 6 languages. I wonder if this will affect game settings like some of the old Megadrive games.

AirBrian

I just posted this in the DS Thread:
Nintendo DS Region Free...
...The Confirmation We Have Been Waiting For!

Many people have been deliberating over whether the forthcoming portable, Nintendo DS, will be region free or not. The signs were indeed pointing favourably toward a total lack of region lockout since the system is designed to play GBA cartridges (which can be played on any GBA across the world) as well as DS media cards. However, many decided to remain sceptical until official confirmation was provided.

Now, though, we have email proof of the region-free nature of the new hardware:

"Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

It may interest you to know that the Nintendo DS will be a universal system that can be played anywhere on the planet. Further, it can play games purchased anywhere. Please note, however, that accessories purchased in different parts of the world may not be compatible with the Nintendo DS you purchase.

I hope you find this information useful!

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.

Mitch Crim"

That email comes straight from NoA and is about as solid as it gets in terms of an answer. Many thanks have to go out to Weinberg2002 of the Nintendo HQ forums who took the time to email the company!

Get those import orders in now then folks. You know where to click: Lik Sang.
http://www.cubed-3.co.uk/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2882

Buggy Loop

mrklaw said:
Does the Japanese DS have English menus?

Yup

6.jpg

Sriram

Does anyone know the canadian pricing for DS stuff yet? videogamesplus.com is still listing the DS at $250 and the games at $70.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Probably asked about a hundred times, so apologies in advance. But I still haven't preordered solely because I'm not sure the cheapest place to import to the UK.

So where is the cheapest? :)

Memles

neptunes said:
eeek, all I see are games priced at $50

Future Shop still doesn't have any First or Non-EA Third Party titles up, so this needs to be remembered. EA titles still seem to be ending up at $69.99 on other consoles, most others at $59.99, even Nintendo titles.

neptunes

Memles said:
Future Shop still doesn't have any First or Non-EA Third Party titles up, so this needs to be remembered. EA titles still seem to be ending up at $69.99 on other consoles, most others at $59.99, even Nintendo titles.

but it seems reasonable, seeing as how the prices of gba games vary from title to title.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Sriram said:
http://www.importmadness.co.uk is the best uk based import that Ive found so far (£99.99) but Im probably going to go with play-asia.com who have it for $170 (£95). Thaqt price is excluding shipping and import taxes though.

Cracked and went with www.videogamesplus.ca for £108 including courier delivery.

Always use them for imported games and got them within 4 days, so very good service I trust.

Their DS games are a bit pricey though, so might go with P-A for software.

Sriram

videogamesplus is where I get everything from mostly aswell, but their DS price seems to be out of date (should be $50ca cheaper). The good thing about them is that I never get taxed because they list everything as a $20 gift :)

Neptunes: does bestbuy.ca ship to UK?

mattx5

Man, these CDN prices are bullshit. It's a handheld system, I shouldn't be paying the same price for DS games that I do for GC games.

Memles

mattx5 said:
Man, these CDN prices are bullshit. It's a handheld system, I shouldn't be paying the same price for DS games that I do for GC games.

MY EARS, THEY ARE TEH HURTING!

You WILL NOT, and I repeat, WILL NOT be paying such prices for DS games. Simple as that.

I FULLY expect Nintendo published titles to come in at $39.99...personally.

However, Third Party Launch titles might well end up at $50 Canadian...which is $10 less than most GameCube games.

Now noticing that Best Buy Link...I call foul. Nintendo's First Party GameCube titles, although $50 American, have been listiing at $60 Canadian. For this reason, I would not expect $40 American titles to be listing at any more than $50.

Its Official, I'm now a reicpt carrying member of the NDS Pre-Order Club.

The Launch titles that have my interest piqued are:

SM64DS (for the minigames)
Feel the Magic XX/XY
Spiderman 2 DS
Mr Driller: Drill Spirits

So when can we expect some in-depth previews/reviews of the games? Late October? Early November? Launch?

Memles

Scalemail Ted said:
So when can we expect some in-depth previews/reviews of the games? Late October? Early November? Launch?

I'll go with Early November, if I had to take a stab at it. Nintendo will probably bring in Press to do a playtest of the launch lineup in its final form, try out the multiplayer in SM64DS, etc.

Top Bottom