• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

pbsapeer

Banned
This is the current Watch face I use.
IMG_2079.png

It's got all the stuff I use regularly. I wish I could get a step counter displayed on the screen

Anyone else posting theirs?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm thinking about buying a series 1, 42mm, space grey apple watch. I don't really care about any apps and stuff, I just like the sleek look and plan to use this watch face:

Apple%20Watch_xlarge-420-90.jpg

Seems like I should be able to charge it every night and just use it as a digital watch without needed an iphone right?

pbsapeer

Banned
I'm thinking about buying a series 1, 42mm, space grey apple watch. I don't really care about any apps and stuff, I just like the sleek look and plan to use this watch face:

Seems like I should be able to charge it every night and just use it as a digital watch without needed an iphone right?
That's a nice Watch Face

It's got all the stuff I use regularly. I wish I could get a step counter displayed on the screen

Check out an app called HealthView.
As well as having a step complication the iOS app tallies daily/weekly/monthly/yearly totals for steps, workouts, calories, cycling distances, etc which has always been a slightly odd oversight of the Health app.

pbsapeer

Banned
Check out an app called HealthView.
As well as having a step complication the iOS app tallies daily/weekly/monthly/yearly totals for steps, workouts, calories, cycling distances, etc which has always been a slightly odd oversight of the Health app.
Good shout thanks for that :) massive oversight from the health app!!

It needs an iPhone for the initial pairing. If you don't have an iPhone at all you won't even be able to get past the language selection screen

Celcius

°Temp. member
It needs an iPhone for the initial pairing. If you don't have an iPhone at all you won't even be able to get past the language selection screen
Hmm, my work phone is an iPhone 6... can I pair them once and then never have to do it again? I'm just thinking that if in the future I don't have the particular job or the phone, and then update the OS it may require another pairing which could turn it into a paperweight for me :(

Why do I need a phone for my watch apple? :(

Aiii

So not worth it
Hmm, my work phone is an iPhone 6... can I pair them once and then never have to do it again? I'm just thinking that if in the future I don't have the particular job or the phone, and then update the OS it may require another pairing which could turn it into a paperweight for me :(

Why do I need a phone for my watch apple? :(

Because honestly if all you want is a timepiece, there are way cheaper and way more stylish options in the market then an Apple watch. I see no reason why you would want an Apple Watch just for the time, it is absolutely terrible as a time piece, if only because the screen isn't even always-on.

I am legit puzzled by this, no offense to you.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Because honestly if all you want is a timepiece, there are way cheaper and way more stylish options in the market then an Apple watch. I see no reason why you would want an Apple Watch just for the time, it is absolutely terrible as a time piece, if only because the screen isn't even always-on.

Ah that's another thing I was wondering about - would the screen always be on. Sounds like this isn't what I was looking for then. Thanks everyone.

hirokazu

I think it's an excellent timepiece with the exception of the display not being on most of the time.

Big Brett

Just got a series 1 and I cannot sign into my Apple ID during the startup phase. Could the service be down? My net is fine.

Edit. NVM works now. Very excited this thing is amazing :D What should I know?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just got a series 1 and I cannot sign into my Apple ID during the startup phase. Could the service be down? My net is fine.

Go use applepay with it. Its neat.

Just got my Series 2. It's a lot more visually striking in person than it is looking at it/seeing it online in my opinion. Very glad I got the 38mm as it's bordering on too large for my wrist as it is and I almost have to completely loop the strap to get it tight on my wrist. Think it's going to take awhile to get used to WatchOS; even having read about it quite a bit prior to using the watch it still seems a little difficult to move around smoothly initially, always seem to find myself accidentally going into the dock instead of closing an application. Also I'm really impressed with the customisability of the watch faces (although third party ones would be hugely appreciated). Going to have to look up online what some of the most useful and most visually appealing are (any recommendations? Currently using Chronograph).

Make sure you have at least 20 minutes free before doing your first workouts, your first walk or run needs to be at least that long to calibrate the GPS.
Siri has a lot of watch-specific quips as well which are pretty amusing.
Oh, ask Siri 'what is time?' and 'what is life?' and cycle through the answers until you get the longer ones. Pretty touching.

Just got my Series 2. It's a lot more visually striking in person than it is looking at it/seeing it online in my opinion. Very glad I got the 38mm as it's bordering on too large for my wrist as it is and I almost have to completely loop the strap to get it tight on my wrist. Think it's going to take awhile to get used to WatchOS; even having read about it quite a bit prior to using the watch it still seems a little difficult to move around smoothly initially, always seem to find myself accidentally going into the dock instead of closing an application. Also I'm really impressed with the customisability of the watch faces (although third party ones would be hugely appreciated). Going to have to look up online what some of the most useful and most visually appealing are (any recommendations? Currently using Chronograph).

I love the size of the 38mm too, the 42mm was just too big it's not about wearing a real-life Pip-Boy to work :p
I recommend the Motion face, it's undoubtably the most beautiful.
A lot of effort went into creating it too.
It lacks complications but I personally find them less useful on the whole since the introduction of the dock.
Any complications you do set colour-coordinate to whatever's displaying which looks really good:

IMG_4656_zpsnqrikrro.png
IMG_4654_zpse8t4xj1x.png

I have a flight tomorrow, the first of which with the Apple Watch. How do boarding passes work with TSA and at the gate? Do I just pull up on Wallet the boarding pass, and do I just go to the QR code? I'm used to handing TSA a paper, and they look at it, look at my license, and then scribble something on the paper as I go through security.

I have a flight tomorrow, the first of which with the Apple Watch. How do boarding passes work with TSA and at the gate? Do I just pull up on Wallet the boarding pass, and do I just go to the QR code? I'm used to handing TSA a paper, and they look at it, look at my license, and then scribble something on the paper as I go through security.

Curious about this as well. I am flying in a few weeks and wondering how it will work with the watch.

Last few trips I have just used a boarding pass on my phone, but wondering how the watch works out.

Also, to everyone, get TSA Pre-check. It is about $90, lasts for several years, and is life changing when going to the airport now. Even if you only use it once, it is worth the extra cost to skip most lines, not have to take off your shoes/belt/jacket, and just easily go through security.

Apple.com/ca

Oof. Well, you've got a couple options. You can return it (ship it back) and reorder it, but of course then you'd get in the back of the line as far as shipments go

The quicker way may be to do a Genius Bar mail-in (as long as those are available in Canada..). They always have service parts available. Generally speaking we usually advise that if you're within 14 days to just return it, but if you're not near a store it might be easier to go the service route and not worry about shipping times

pbsapeer

Banned
Bought a £10 Milanese loop from Amazon.
Surprisingly pleased with it. The magnet feels strong and looks a bit smarter than the sport band.

I also took the advice and bought the spigen dock. Far more convienient to have it popped in there as a dock.

Great recommendation guys.

TUSR

Banned
Oof. Well, you've got a couple options. You can return it (ship it back) and reorder it, but of course then you'd get in the back of the line as far as shipments go

The quicker way may be to do a Genius Bar mail-in (as long as those are available in Canada..). They always have service parts available. Generally speaking we usually advise that if you're within 14 days to just return it, but if you're not near a store it might be easier to go the service route and not worry about shipping times

Im going to send it in, I don't want a brand new serviced Series 2.

TUSR

Banned

Pics of defect.

pbsapeer

Banned
Have to admit that's a slick looking stand.

Stands are great. Just plonk it down and it's charging and in nightstand mode which I have to say is awesome.

I use the offical Apple stand which I love.
Aww man. I'd love the apple one. It's gorgeous. But this is alright and does a job.

Good to know. Have the top4cus Milanese band myself and that one is great.

Yeah it's a nice band. Probably just the same as your one but with different branding haha

hirokazu

My watch seems to turn off at 20-30% battery. I read it's supposed to show a red low power symbol in low power and then switch to Power Reserve mode when the battery is too low.

Today it switch to Power Reserve mode and then switched off completely about 20 seconds after that. The previous time, it was similar levels and the next time I interacted with it, it was off. All other times I've charged it when it hit about 30-40%. This isn't expected behaviour, is it?

Shearie

Does anybody have the game Cosmo Rings?
It's an RPG by Square made exclusively for the Apple Watch.
No GAF thread and hardly any info anywhere, tempted to give it a go...

I wished there were more impressions on this too since I'm looking for a descent game on my Apple Watch. I bought Tiny Armies and while it played well on the watch, the gameplay was way too shallow. Also tried Rune Blade and didn't like it at all.

Carlisle

One cool thing I recently discovered is when the screen is off you can turn the crown to slowly brighten the display so as to peak at your info in, say, a movie theater without distracting people around you. Dunno if that's always been there or what, this S2 is my first Apple Watch. It's a good example of the subtle touches and considerations that makes Apple stuff so good to use.

pbsapeer

Banned
My watch seems to turn off at 20-30% battery. I read it's supposed to show a red low power symbol in low power and then switch to Power Reserve mode when the battery is too low.

Today it switch to Power Reserve mode and then switched off completely about 20 seconds after that. The previous time, it was similar levels and the next time I interacted with it, it was off. All other times I've charged it when it hit about 30-40%. This isn't expected behaviour, is it?
Seems odd. Maybe disconnect and reconnect the Watch. Otherwise maybe speak to apple

TUSR

Banned
So I ended up returning my Series 2 watch.

I didn't realize every time you open the "Print Shipping Label" it generates a different number on the label.

What I originally opened on my desktop and saved is not the same as what I opened on my laptop (Clicking the Apple Store link provided from the return Email) to print.

Is the Watch just out in the open and im unable to find what shipping label was previously generated? I guess Apple will receive indication on their end when they get the tracking number on one of the generated tickets in their system, but I have no access to that.

Anyone have thoughts or ideas on how to proceed?

Top Bottom