• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Tess3ract

Banned
Have you ever tried animating a character? It's fucking hard/time consuming. For one person to 'properly' animate that would take years.

The video looked like great previz work, could probably get a job easily with that (if he works on the cinematography some more).
He asked for opinions, I gave him a constructive one. Simmer Down.

I've played and finished 1, 2 and BroHood. Should I play Revelations even though it wasn't really praised by neither critics or GAF, if I want to play and enjoy this one? or is this more of a departure from the whole Desmond/Altair/Ezio affair and it's more of a new series so to speak? I haven't kept up with AC3 info since the first few batch of screens/vids so I'm totally clueless (and I plan to keep it that way).

Play it. Just critical path it and you'll get through it in 10-12 hours.

It's really the best story in the franchise, and if you enjoy the character of Ezio the game adds a whole new layer of depth to him and Altair as well. I wasn't going to play it either, but it's really really good and I'm totally glad that I did.

hlhbk

the AC series is by far my favorite series this generation. I already double dipped on AC3 (preordered the PC digital deluxe edition, and preordered the PS3 gold edition on PSN to get the PS3 exclusive content) with the delay for the PC version. I love the series so much I am certain AC3 will be my GOTY hands down.

Any word on if the PSN version will be out at midnight like they have teased on the PS3 blog?

AC I - Hold RT + A (RT + X)
AC II - Hold RT + A (RT + X)
AC:B - Hold RT + A (RT + X)
AC:R - Hold RT + A (RT + X)

AC III - ?

I think you're expecting a different game...

In 3 you just hold RT to do what would otherwise be RT + A. But you can press A or B when running towards a fence or something of similar height to vault directly over it to keep momentum.

In 3 you just hold RT to do what would otherwise be RT + A. But you can press A or B when running towards a fence or something of similar height to vault directly over it to keep momentum.

This sounds infinitely better. Holding down 2 buttons and the stick all the time was stupid.

Orcastar

Having a hard time deciding whether to get this for PC or PS3. The PC version would obviously be graphically superior, but I've played all the previous installments on PS3, the PS3 version comes out much earlier and has exclusive content.

What do...

Irish

Having a hard time deciding whether to get this for PC or PS3. The PC version would obviously be graphically superior, but I've played all the previous installments on PS3, the PS3 version comes out much earlier and has exclusive content.

What do...

Double Dip. Get the PS3 version for now and then wait until AC3 is out for like $10-15 on PC. It's what I'm going to do. My brother usually borrows my PS3 copy once I'm finished with it anyway and I already own the rest of the collection on it, so I figured I might as well end it like that.

Bladenic

I do feel bad not having played Revelations yet. Oh well. I can always go back and play it I suppose. I just want AC3 now.

dreamfall

What do...

I'm waiting- it's going to be really difficult, but I'm waiting! Partly because I really want to devote proper attention to Liberation, and it'll help ease that transition!

Dunan

On the Japanese wiki, they pronounce Connor's real name as ラドゥーンハガオドゥーン (Radūnhagaodūn). No idea how they got this.

NBtoaster

I have AC1 on PS3, AC2 and Brotherhood on 360, AC1, AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations on PC and yet the only one I've finished is AC2 (360).

Thinking about getting this on 360..but only if it's do not miss material.

Eideka

Banned
Has there been any PC footage at all?

I have been following the game closely and never it occured to me that I was looking at PC footage.

But I believe you are going to be very impressed if Nvidia is right :

Assassin’s Creed III stars a new Animus protagonist and takes place before, during, and after the American Revolution. The PC version features superior graphics, several PC-only effects, DirectX 11 graphics options, and TXAA anti-aliasing.

geforce-gtx-650-ti-performance-comparison-chart.png

And this is how a early version of the game runs on a 650ti at medium settings.

I'm willing to be Ubi Soft Ukraine is handling the beast, thus we can hope for the same graphical treatment the last Ghost Recon received.
DX11 stuff like GI and Tesselation, volumetric lights (god rays) and smoke, soft shadows, more reflections, more parallax mapping, better HDR, better motion blur etc..

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
geforce-gtx-650-ti-performance-comparison-chart.png

And this is how a early version of the game runs on a 650ti at medium settings.

I'm willing to be Ubi Soft Ukraine is handling the beast, thus we can hope for the same graphical treatment the last Ghost Recon received.
DX11 stuff like GI and Tesselation, volumetric lights (god rays) and smoke, soft shadows, more reflections, more parallax mapping, better HDR, better motion blur etc..

That GeForce.com article also mentions TXAA support. Pity it blurs horribly, though.

Hindle

Banned
Have they expanded the stealth tools on this? It's always annoying how the stealth was poorly done in the others.

Have they expanded the stealth tools on this? It's always annoying how the stealth was poorly done in the others.

The AC franchise has never had true stealth in the sense of hiding in shadows and sneaking past guards. You play as an assassin and your goal is to kill key figures. How you do it is entirely up to you.

If you hated the stealth in terms of walking amongst pedestrians and hiding in hay then this one will not improve your love for it.

SJRB

Gold Member

They added a couple of (trivial) mechanics like corner "cover" and sneaking through tall grass and bushes. But overall the game is still about rooftop prowling and social stealth, which they expanded by adding "interaction" with NPCs (Connor will join a conversation when you blend in a group, for example). Seems mostly cosmetic though.

Out of curiosity, is anybody buying the limited edition for the statue? Have you seen the actual statue itself in real life? How's the quality?

I really like Connor's pose, but I'm very cautious about collector's editions with statues after getting burnt by Uncharted 3 (the quality of that Nathan Drake statue was shit IMO). So I'm not throwing down my money until I can see the actual AC3 statue up close.

If you don't know which one I'm talking about, here are some high res images of the statue I found on the internet:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6jn6sFleo1qdqlkxo2_1280.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6jn6sFleo1qdqlkxo1_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6jn6sFleo1qdqlkxo3_1280.jpg

Massa

http://i.imgur.com/ey5KR.png[IMG]

Someone tell me it's fake. The tone is so ridiculous it can't be official.

[URL="https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/259832401180639232"]https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/259832401180639232[/URL]

Oh shit it is.[/QUOTE]

This is not really surprising if you've watched an Ubisoft E3 press conference.

Eideka

Banned
This is not really surprising if you've watched an Ubisoft E3 press conference.

You mean that they use the same tone for their communication ?

Seriously the intrinsic message is likey right (after all AC3 PC is shaping up to finally meet PC standards graphic wise) but I can't get over how chilidsh the twitter guy sounds. This is particularly true for the 3rd message that could be found in the system wars section of Gamespot...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm glad that PR is excited about the PC features. Hopefully they put out a video similar to the Sleeping Dog's devs where they show the features off.

I guess the truth is too much for some people to handle though.

Eideka

Banned
I'm glad that PR is excited about the PC features. Hopefully they put out a video similar to the Sleeping Dog's devs where they show the features off.
That would be sweet but given it's Ubi....That would make sense though to advertise in more detail what is to be expected graphic wise.

But as usual we will need Rock Paper Shotgun or PcGamesHardware.de to found out what exact features AC 3 PC will sport.

I guess the truth is too much for some people to handle though.
Wait for the Eurogamer face-off....Yes even in the case where the PC version is released later they still write a paper on what is special about it and compare it coldly and objectively with its console counterparts.

The comment section should be.....tasty.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
you guys think an i7 2600k and a gtx 580 will be enough for this? i mean to run the game on high settings at 60 frames?

Eideka

Banned
you guys think an i7 2600k and a gtx 580 will be enough for this? i mean to run the game on high settings at 60 frames?

It would take a great deal of unoptimization to make your PC struggle at highest settings.
Ubi won't go all out with DX11 (personnally besides tessellation and global illumination I'm not expecting anything) and while other enhancements are likey I can't see AC 3 wrecking your PC.

You're good to go.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
It would take a great deal of unoptimization to make your PC struggle at highest settings.
Ubi won't go all out with DX11 (personnally besides tessellation and global illumination I'm not expecting anything) and while other enhancements are likey I can't see AC 3 wrecking your PC.

You're good to go.
thanks for the reply

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Wow one ad after another for this game on tv. Ubi is going all out on this.

It's a revolution...I suppose.

iNvid02

I would trade all of those DX11 features I'll never bother using anyway to get rid of Uplay and put steamworks in instead.

if it bothers you that much just get it on console, no uplay client and no dx11 features.

Try to control yourself this time when the game leaks.

Edit: Assuming you're who I think you are.

yeah i am, and no it wont be happening this time round.

Console versions are connected to the uPlay servers as well.

i know, but its an optional area outside of the game. on pc you need to go through it every time you play

Derrick01

Banned
if it bothers you that much just get it on console, no uplay client and no dx11 features.

Hang on now just because I find DX11 features pointless framerate crushers doesn't mean I don't appreciate higher textures (something I can actually see), 60 fps and 1080p.

My main problem with Uplay is I have to buy from steam directly for full price. I can't take advantage of a $35 GMG deal.

I won't lie though I've been tempted to get the ps3 version a few times to get around the extra 1 month wait. The person who came in this thread on day 1 and gave those impressions about the game being same-ish killed a lot of my hype and got me to stay on PC for good.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
The AC franchise has never had true stealth in the sense of hiding in shadows and sneaking past guards. You play as an assassin and your goal is to kill key figures. How you do it is entirely up to you.

If you hated the stealth in terms of walking amongst pedestrians and hiding in hay then this one will not improve your love for it.

Lack of any kind of stealth, even the basics such as crouching, hinders my approach.

Ubisoft makes great games, but they are so misguided with everything else. Those PR tweets, UPlay, their infamous DRM, their lack of commitment to support and community, etc.

I wonder how many user to user messages have been sent in the Uplay platform.

iNvid02

Hang on now just because I find DX11 features pointless framerate crushers doesn't mean I don't appreciate higher textures (something I can actually see), 60 fps and 1080p.

My main problem with Uplay is I have to buy from steam directly for full price. I can't take advantage of a $35 GMG deal.

I won't lie though I've been tempted to get the ps3 version a few times to get around the extra 1 month wait. The person who came in this thread on day 1 and gave those impressions about the game being same-ish killed a lot of my hype and got me to stay on PC for good.

i like steam, but is it worth an extra $10 just to have the game in your library? amazon has it for $50

Lack of any kind of stealth, even the basics such as crouching, hinders my approach.

Stealth doesn't just mean sneaking and skulking through the shadows, Assassins Creed is about blending in and hiding in plain site, choosing an action and finding the right moment to execute it.

haikira

Have Nvidia put out any charts for AC3, showing performance on other cards, like they did for Max Payne 3 pre launch?

CrazyDude

Some info from a Polish magazine.

- aside from the "cookie cutter" beginning, the story is written extremely well, no more "Assassins = good, Templars = bad" routine - they are portrayed more like in AC1, having the same goal but different opinions on achieving it
- the trees in the Frontier feel very artificial, the paths that the branches make poke in the eye more than the ones in the cities. Also, sometimes it is difficult to see the spots you can climb, especially on stone walls
- animal baits sometimes trigger a funny effect where they attract huge amounts of animals (the author compared it to the scene from one of the Shrek movies, where forest animals charge at Fiona)
- there are challenges connected to hunting, like "kill X bears with the hidden blade" (not sure if it is an actual challenge, it was used as an example)
- the Assassin recruits are obtained by finishing quest lines to liberate city districts
- you can now send your recruits to do missions anytime, from anywhere, no need to find pigeon coups
- you can only use the recruits in cities
- (not entirely new info, but slight minor side-quest spoiler, so I'll write it in black) there are side missions in which you must check if the trappers' stories are true - Sasquatch and Kraken are mentioned as examples
- looting convoys earns you money and other goods
- there is a lockpicking minigame
- there is a fistfighting club
- in order to produce goods in the Homestead, you must not only help the people who ill eventually settle there, you must also obtain schematics for items like medicine or clothes - you either find them in chests or learn to create them by experimenting (they did not specify what "experimenting" means in this case)
- the journalist claims that the main quests in AC3 takes around 20 hours, and completing all the side missions and challenges should last another 20 hours
- it is implied that muskets cannot be purchased or worn at all times, they have to be stolen, similar to pikes in AC2-ACR
- the combat is very similar to Batman: Arkham City with enemies attacking you constantly and more than one at a time, but the journalist described B:AC battle system as "unattainably perfect", I guess that means he found the AC3 fighting system worse. He said that he used the tomahawk through most of the game and that he absolutely loved the animations, though
- the journalist claimed that he spent very little time running on rooftops
- the enemy AI is not very great, sometimes you can run away from enemies by running in circles around a hay bale, or soldiers falling to their deaths from rooftops while chasing you (I doubt that last one is bad AI, some people are dumb IRL as well :p ), friendly NPCs also don't adjust to your speed very well and sometimes run to you only to stand still for a couple of seconds, then repeating it
- there are visible clipping issues, for example the lockpicks sometimes don't fit in the keyholes, enemies' bodies and weapons sometimes float in the air, and carts sometimes ignore horses "parked" on streets, "ghosting" through them, braids and ponytails also clip through faces
- the characters' faces are done extremely well, with eyes "that feel more alive than in majority of games"
- there are issues with the camera, sometimes it positions itself very poorly and sometimes even stops working (as in you can't move it with the right stick)
- the "wait, I did not want you to do THIS!" freerunning issues return - the journalist mentioned one occasion in which he tried to climb a certain spot for 10 minutes, because the game wouldn't let him climb it, while he eventually succeeded
- riding horses in the Frontier is not a good idea, horses are described as "incompetent", making free-/treerunning a faster way to travel, though riding helps in winter when the snow slows you down a lot

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/720104-New-details-from-a-Polish-article-NO-STORY-SPOILERS

SJRB

Gold Member

This all sounds rather disappointing. Seems like ACIII is still struggling with the same problems it has always been struggling with.. AI, clipping, horse riding, camera issues. Add to that the pathfinding issues with the trees and the non-clear pathways on stone walls.

Also - the bait problem sounds pretty terrible, albeit funny to try once.

Top Bottom