• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Mik2121

So you're still playing as Kenway?

!....

...!?

Did you just spoil something for me? :p (I know nothing about the game's story any further than from where I'm now)

Yep, I've been on an absolute blackout for both this and Halo 4 :p (on purpose, because I've been looking forward to both titles a lot)

winstano

!....

...!?

Did you just spoil something for me? :p (I know nothing about the game's story any further than from where I'm now)

Yeah man, Kenway turns out to be a mutant ninja from the future and spontaneously combusts...

(seriously though, things become clear)

Noi

!....

...!?

Yep, I've been on an absolute blackout for both this and Halo 4 :p (on purpose, because I've been looking forward to both titles a lot)

Massive spoiler: You eventually play as the guy on the cover of the game.

Double D

!....

...!?

Get out of here then, seriously. At least until after sequence 3.

Mik2121

Yeah man, Kenway turns out to be a mutant ninja from the future and spontaneously combusts...

(seriously though, things become clear)
LOL! Gotcha :p
Massive spoiler: You eventually play as the guy on the cover of the game.
Yeah well that's something that really confused me. Thing is, I was checking the Wikipedia page and saw the voice actors and it just named one person for the main charac... oh, oh wait.... I think I got an idea of what's going on here. I'll continue playing, anyway :p

Get out of here then, seriously. At least until after sequence 3.

Gotcha!

Mohonky

Like previous games, the more I get into the game the more I am enjoying it, but god does it try hard to push you away at the beginning.

The new elements are also sort of thrown in your face with no real explanation and what explanations that do exist are confusing as fuck.

One of my convoys is permanently stuck in "Attacked" status. I'm assuming I can do something about this but the game never bothered to tell me how.
Yeah happened to me too. I know the convoy is a goner since I didn't go and defend it within the allocated time limit, but now I can't even clear that slot to make space for a new convoy, I'm permanently stuck with 1 "Attacked" convoy and two available slots for other convoys.

JB1981

Can't understand the controls complaints. They are so much better than AC1 and AC2. Just YouTube some videos of those games and look at how janky the controls were compared to this

Denzar

Quoted for new page.

I recently got myself a new gaming rig so I'm wondering is it worth the wait to play ACIII on pc?

I played AC1 & 2 on PS3, and AC Brotherhood on 360 (skipped Revelations), but I have no idea if the pc versions were shitty ports or well optimised.

Can't understand the controls complaints. They are so much better than AC1 and AC2. Just YouTube some videos of those games and look at how janky the controls were compared to this

I think the problem is that we were all used to the old "janky" controls, and the transition from those to these was jarring. I know I had trouble with free-running and combat because of this. I have gotten used to them now.

the controls improved for climbing and running thru trees and roofs(IMHO), but it still suffers from "I want to climb A but I'm taking cover instead" or "I want to take cover but I just climbed" or "I want to climb A but I'm on B for some reason".

Double D

The PC ports were nice. Cleaned things up more than anything. Nothing crazy though. I think DRM was the biggest issue people had with it. Better AA and framerate should be expected, but not a whole lot more.

Linius

The fuck. I was talking to Norris for the raw materials side mission...

I followed him during conversation. I looked away for few seconds when I heard him saying "come meet me at the mine" but I see nothing on my map about a way point. Does anybody know where I need to go?

Noi

I followed him during conversation. I looked away for few seconds when I heard him saying "come meet me at the mine" but I see nothing on my map about a way point. Does anybody know where I need to go?
It's in the Frontier.

Marcel

I happened to run into
the mine on my way to New York.
Try doing some of the frontier viewpoints if you're having trouble.

Linius

It's in the Frontier.

I happened to run into
the mine on my way to New York.
Try doing some of the frontier viewpoints if you're having trouble.

Thanks guys. Guess I'm heading to the frontier then.

Oh btw, I still don't get how I can be incognito in the frontier. I am in both Boston and New York, but not in the frontier strange enough :S

Huh?

Neo Member
Is it a glitch that I've done all but one Liberation Mission in Boston yet none appear on my map? And is it also a glitch that I'm on sequence 9 and not a single follow-up(meaning, one that levels up the denizens) Homestead Mission has appeared on my map aside from Prudence's Primrose? I'm not sure what's a glitch and what's just annoying game design. Overall I'm enjoying the game, but the fact that some missions show up on the map while others apparently don't makes it really frustrating. I'm honestly hoping these are glitches because at least then they might be fixed. I also prefer the Courier/Beat-Up/Assassination Contract missions of II more than this one, but those can't be blamed on glitches.

Derrick01

Banned
Something I've realized is that games never freeze when you're getting destroyed, they always wait for when you're finally doing good. I'm doing the final privateer mission and just when I was finally able to take 1 of the giant ships down it freezes....

Noi

Thanks guys. Guess I'm heading to the frontier then.

Oh btw, I still don't get how I can be incognito in the frontier. I am in both Boston and New York, but not in the frontier strange enough :S

To my understanding, you can't. You're pretty much locked to level 1 notoriety at all times, which gets annoying.

Denzar

The PC ports were nice. Cleaned things up more than anything. Nothing crazy though. I think DRM was the biggest issue people had with it. Better AA and framerate should be expected, but not a whole lot more.

Apparently ACIII wil be available through steam. That devilish Ubi DRM will not be an issue anymore.

I'd love an AC running in 1080 at 60 FPS.

Man people are unmarked spoiling things left and right here. Really glad I finished the story in like 2 days.

I'm almost done with collectibles (got all Fast travel points, Feathers and Chests, most of the delivery stuff, just need to do like 4 peg legs in the Homestead area). I don't know if the Liberation Mission stuff is bugged out but I wasn't able to do the last two (and presumably get 2 more assassins) for some reason. I'll check again today. Then its off to do some more real stuff. Haven't touched any of the Naval Missions, barely have done any homestead missions, and also haven't done any Achilles stuff either. And there may be a few other things on my map that I still need to do.

I feel like the collectibles are kinda pointless unless there's some sort of pay off. Because really all I did was spend like 4-5 hours doing that stuff and getting absolutely no enjoyment out of it.

Also one thing I seem to be noticing is theres not much music in this game outside of combat and specific mission points, is there? One of the things that made running around in the cities in AC2 awesome was just to hear Jesper Kyd's amazing soundtrack.

XHPrime said:
Im guessing theres no hidden armor challenge as i have yet to come accross it. Is there anything in the game that fills in the lack of platforming challenge or is that done?

Yeah, there are several areas that have similar platform elements- the Peg Leg missions are the most obvious but there are also some sections of the Underground like that and at least one Homestead mission that I've encountered that was focused on platforming like the AC2 trilogy.

casabolg

Banned
WHY CAN'T I HOLD ALL THIS STEALTH
This is the second Assassin's Creed game in which I actually feel like an assassin and the first game in the series I would considered to be a good game.
Really enjoying this.

Pranay

Impressive Sales from AC3 in uk. Second Best selling game of the year after fifa on consoles.

Seems it will do 3/4 million first month WW easily or maybe more

JB1981

Yeah, there are several areas that have similar platform elements- the Peg Leg missions are the most obvious but there are also some sections of the Underground like that and at least one Homestead mission that I've encountered that was focused on platforming like the AC2 trilogy.

I was wondering about this. I was thinking that the underground tunnels were very lame. Light candle, and move on ... but there are actual platforming sections?

Ricker

The problems with having so many different things to do in the game depending on what section you are in is causing confusion with the controls and because of that,the long tutorials...combine that with giving you new controls in a section that starts you off giving you 10 seconds to not lose you target while having 2 secondary objectives flash on screen for 2 seconds telling you to destroy 3 bomb carts on the way and to pick your nose in a QTE( ;) )...or all of a sudden you are doing something else with new controls,that I wont spoil,but the controls where inverted for me so I missed the secondary objectives again...

It's awesome that the game has so many play styles but it also leads to janky controls at time.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So I get a message that my convoy is being attacked, but they don't tell me where? I'm not looking for a specific location, just an area. It wasn't in the Frontier. Do I really need to check NY and Boston to see if the icon shows up there as well?

This game feels like a collection of battles, not assassinations. So far (I'm on Sequence 9), my ranking is, from best to worst.

1. AC II
2. AC II Brotherhood
3. AC II Revelations
4. AC I
5. AC III

It's like they threw out everything they learned in the AC II games. So sad.

I was wondering about this. I was thinking that the underground tunnels were very lame. Light candle, and move on ... but there are actual platforming sections?

More like micro-platforming segments. You can get through each in about 30 seconds. So disappointing after the tombs in the ACII games.

JB1981 said:

Minor Underground Spoilers:

There are a few different kinds of challenges I've seen in progressing in the Underground- sometimes it's finding an alternate route to circumvent a locked door, sometimes it's straight up platforming, sometimes it's encountering an enemy group, and I've found at least one puzzle down there as well.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
To my understanding, you can't. You're pretty much locked to level 1 notoriety at all times, which gets annoying.

Yeah I seriously hate that. And how the hell does my notoriety rise when Ive killed all the witnesses out in the middle of nowhere. What is this skyrim and rabbits are reporting me to the proper authorities or something? (not many chickens in the wilderness)

Is it locked to Level 1? I've had it gone up to Level 2, and I'm not sure if it goes down after that. Again, as said many times before this game really doesn't explain its systems well.

Minor Underground Spoilers:

There are a few different kinds of challenges I've seen in progressing in the Underground- sometimes it's finding an alternate route to circumvent a locked door, sometimes it's straight up platforming, sometimes it's encountering an enemy group, and I've found at least one puzzle down there as well.

The underground stuff is the closest thing to tombs from previous games. That being said the new freerunning controls pretty much destroy any enjoyment out of it.

Lima

Fuck this Fanorona game in the manor. I know how the game works and still loose a lot. That guy is a cheater.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
despite all the hate and have much I love Ezio, AC3 is so far the best AC IMO, Rev was cool for what it was "story wise" but it is the worse
so for me
ACIII
AC:BH
ACII
AC:REV
AC1

rvy

Banned
So, yeah, the colors for the Assassin outfit are bugged, it's not a design choice. Watching side-quest cutscenes and the bottom half of Connor's assassin outfit is the correct color, the upper half is the default color.
The Oak island mission for Peg Leg is really cool.

Xav

Finished the game the other day and I was actually a bit disappointed with it. I think it's probably the worst Assassin's Creed since the original, yes I actually enjoyed Revelations. Anyone else think the naval battles were probably the best part of the game?
I don't mean to plug the site of anything but I did a review on masonicgamer.com if anyone is interested.

So, yeah, the colors for the Assassin outfit are bugged, it's not a design choice. Watching side-quest cutscenes and the bottom half of Connor's assassin outfit is the correct color, the upper half is the default color.

Oh weird. I've just straight up seen the white coat in most cutscenes when I've had the colored outfit but I haven't seen this half and half thing. I changed my Assassin's Outfit color during the story but immediately changed it back because of the white outfit showing up in cutscenes. But once I beat the game I changed it back to the colored outfit and what I've noticed is that its inconsistent. I captured some forts in the cities and Connor's outfit was white in the cutscenes, but then with the last few forts I did his outfit was coloured in those cutscenes. Some other people claimed that Ubi knows about this bug and are working on a fix.

rvy

Banned
Oh weird. I've just straight up seen the white coat in most cutscenes when I've had the colored outfit but I haven't seen this half and half thing. I changed my Assassin's Outfit color during the story but immediately changed it back immediately because of the white outfit showing up in Cutscenes. But once I beat the game I changed it back to the colored outfit and what I've noticed is that its inconsistent. I captured some forts in the cities and Connor's outfit was white in the cutscenes, but then with the last few forts I did his outfit was coloured in those cutscenes. Some other people claimed that Ubi knows about this bug and are working on a fix.

Hopefully they pay attention to community feedback and release a big patch to fix stuff.
I mean, I've played GTA IV and RDR for countless hours and didn't run into half the bugs that this game has. They look pretty polished by comparison. Sure, there's streaming issues, but that comes with the territory.

Noi

Is it locked to Level 1? I've had it gone up to Level 2, and I'm not sure if it goes down after that. Again, as said many times before this game really doesn't explain its systems well.

Oh, by locked I meant that level 1 is the minimum. If there's a way to lower it after reaching level 2, I wouldn't know.

Bladenic

God this game is amazing once everything finally clicks and you're just doing whatever you want. Won't be finishing Sequence 6 for a long time I know that much.

rvy

Banned
Well, not to be a Debby downer or anything, but the Oak island mission has glitched QTEs.

The Wolf QTEs don't work, you'll need to find some other way to kill them.

Top Bottom