• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Hixx

Why am I getting randomly attacked when I'm Incognito? I just respawned after dying, not in a restricted area or anything. All I did was take one step forward then BAM, half a dozen rifles being aimed at me.

This game is great one minute, atrociously bad the next.

Dunan

Just reached Sequence 6 today and finished the interlude. Wow,
those are some nice Manhattan views -- though I couldn't recognize any real buildings.
I tried exploring a little more of the temple, saw
Juno's image
, and was left with another
Juno image in a seemingly-inaccessible area above the Animus.
Can I get there? I died trying
and got a very interesting message that implies that Desmond himself is being controlled by someone else, or that this is a recording from another person's perspective.

Why am I getting randomly attacked when I'm Incognito? I just respawned after dying, not in a restricted area or anything. All I did was take one step forward then BAM, half a dozen rifles being aimed at me.

This game is great one minute, atrociously bad the next.

Yeah, this is driving me nuts. I really miss being able to walk around completely unmolested like I could with Medici-protected Ezio in Florence.

Finished the game just now.

Bleh.

I'm hearing nothing but bad things about the ending to Desmond's saga. These days it seems like more than half the big-budget games have terrible endings; last year I had to endure FFXIII-2 and Deus Ex HR's blah endings, but at least ACR gave some great closure to Altair's life (and Ezio's if you bought/
viewed on YouTube
the epilogue).

Are you playing multiplayer? I'm really enjoying it, and though I prefer Revelations' locations and personalities, Wolfpack mode is a blast to play and, being cooperative, a welcome relief when you're getting slaughtered by your betters in the other modes!

It's taking a surprisingly-long time to learn what all these avatars look like from all angles, and sometimes I'll get stuck with a target that I simply can't pick out on the field. In Brotherhood, you could just "forfeit", so to speak, by killing a civilian and having a new target assigned to you. But in this game it seems to keep you on that same person until another Templar kills them.

Also, those of you who are good at fighting off animals: help me! What are you supposed to do here? I thought each animal might have its own fighting pattern that you need to react to, which the sequence of button presses would be a metaphor for. But aside from the fact that they all seem to start you with O, the following button seems to be different every time. And do you need to keep pressing the button repeatedly? The faster, the better? It's driving me nuts. I suppose it's a good mechanic in that it replicates how dangerous wandering around in the wilderness is, and how some animals will easily overpower any human being... but if there's a better way to dispatch them, I'm all for it!

Noi

Also, those of you who are good at fighting off animals: help me! What are you supposed to do here? I thought each animal might have its own fighting pattern that you need to react to, which the sequence of button presses would be a metaphor for. But aside from the fact that they all seem to start you with O, the following button seems to be different every time. And do you need to keep pressing the button repeatedly? The faster, the better? It's driving me nuts. I suppose it's a good mechanic in that it replicates how dangerous wandering around in the wilderness is, and how some animals will easily overpower any human being... but if there's a better way to dispatch them, I'm all for it!

It's a QTE sequence. Press circle once, press the follow-up button, and you're done. No mashing, no nothing.

Dunan

It's a QTE sequence. Press circle once, press the follow-up button, and you're done. No mashing, no nothing.

Thanks for that. The button prompt is flashing so it looks like it wants me to mash it repeatedly. I'll give it another shot with single presses.

I think this is the only game where I am motivated to finish all the collect-a-thons. Do you get anything if you collect all the feathers? I love running around the Frontier and the cities. So much detail and authenticity. Though it is frustrating when I need to go to a certain section of the Frontier and theres a huge, unscaleable wall and I end up running in the wrong direction to find an access point :(

SJRB

Gold Member
I think this is the only game where I am motivated to finish all the collect-a-thons. Do you get anything if you collect all the feathers? I love running around the Frontier and the cities. So much detail and authenticity. Though it is frustrating when I need to go to a certain section of the Frontier and theres a huge, unscaleable wall and I end up running in the wrong direction to find an access point :(

The reward for getting all feathers is
unlocking the original indian outfit for Connor he wore when he first came to Achilles

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
On Sequence 9 and I can't help but think how much better this game could have been. The ship missions are fun I just have no motivation to do them. Nothing is as intuitive/easy as it was in Brotherhood and I just find myself frustrated and doing the main story missions. Beautiful game though, especially on PC. I hope in the next one they make side things have more motivation and I hope they cut stuff that is useless. This is a game that could really use some trimming, AC games have gotten a lot of bloat :\

alf717

The naval stuff is great. The missions are all a lot of fun, and the Captain Kidd campaign was excellent.

The narrative and gameplay both suffer from the "5 hours of tutorial", but the script is quite good down the stretch. (Spoilers)
Even though he's not exactly the most likely lead, the journey of Connor being very naïve and getting in over his head was very interesting, especially the triangle of different interests and motivations between Haytham, Washington, and Connor. There is a good payoff when his actions lead to him losing his people, killing his tribe member was a powerful moment. Honestly, my biggest complain about Connor would actually be the voice actor they choose for him, not a big fan of his performance.

Desmond's story was ultimately a disappointment. Not much else to say there.

Yep I agree. The story is good but it does have its little quirks.
Connor half the time is like a lapdog and not much of an Assassin at all. At least not like Ezio.
I would like to see more of Connor though.
Now that he is pretty much on his own it would be nice to see how he fares as an Assassin making his own decisions.

The Desmond stuff was decent but the cliff hanger stuff is getting a little dull

Ubisoft should make a pirates game based on those naval mission alone.

Wii U owners: Is there a secret to finding multiplayer matches that isn't "play it on another system"? I haven't found a game in two weeks and...I miss it *tear*

So which team made the Captain Kidd missions? They were so much better and versatile than the rest of the game!
There was a survey from Ubisoft asking fans if they like Uncharted 3. I'm pretty sure we know where this series is going.

Now, If AC became more linear without the open world for fetch quests, how would that be recieved? How would it be done?

If the game became wide-linear like the Kidd missions or tombs, but longer, with boss battles being open areas that allow freedom in the way you tackle your target (no-kill stealth route > stealth kill target, stealthily eliminate guards > stealth kill target OR one on one fight, or straight up battle royale), I'm not sure I'd be bothered. They can still provide alternate gameplay ideas and have a hub/den/homestead area to develop and be a place to accept missions, contracts and new members. Hell, they should even let you choose an AI assassin companion (or coop partner) to go on missions to raise them through the ranks. If this lowers production costs and tightens their execution of design, I'm all fucking for it. As interesting as it was having complete freedom to wander, it didnt really do the actual gameplay any favors.

IISANDERII

Death by a thousand cuts.

That's my bottom line with Assassin's Creed III. Although I suppose I've enjoyed myself, I've been fucken pissed off to no end with so many tiny little mutherfucking irritations that I can't bring myself to do the last damn thing and complete the game. All I need to do is climb out of the animus and plug in some garbage.

I think I've found them all but one. I've walked around a little, assuming it would be easy but 5min of looking around is all I have patience for because after 45hrs I am truly done.

I've completed all the homestead missions, cleared all naval ways, fully upgraded my ship, liberated all areas, leveled up all my followers to assassins and finished the forts. I've only to collect trinkets, feathers, treasures and almanacs.

Looking back, I think I was crazy to endure all this but Assassin's Creed Brotherhood left such an awesome impression on me that I experienced the bleeding effect into ACIII. I was sort of fooled.

Now I'm burned out and the next instalment can wait a long time while it polishes itself back into my good graces. Time for coma.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Eh, youtube the areas and do it. It's only like five minutes of work and then two minutes to see the terrible ending.

There was a survey from Ubisoft asking fans if they like Uncharted 3. I'm pretty sure we know where this series is going.

Now, If AC became more linear without the open world for fetch quests, how would that be recieved? How would it be done?

If the game became wide-linear like the Kidd missions or tombs, but longer, with boss battles being open areas that allow freedom in the way you tackle your target (no-kill stealth route > stealth kill target, stealthily eliminate guards > stealth kill target OR one on one fight, or straight up battle royale), I'm not sure I'd be bothered. They can still provide alternate gameplay ideas and have a hub/den/homestead area to develop and be a place to accept missions, contracts and new members. Hell, they should even let you choose an AI assassin companion (or coop partner) to go on missions to raise them through the ranks. If this lowers production costs and tightens their execution of design, I'm all fucking for it. As interesting as it was having complete freedom to wander, it didnt really do the actual gameplay any favors.

They could go the route that Dishonoured went and have it semi open world. I dont think they should though. Not including AC III because I didn't enjoy the setting too much, all the other games have been a joy to explore in. They really need to go back to cities with huge buildings and monuments to climb. Also they should use cities that suit the free running mechanic well. A Victorian era game set in London would be awesome, you could climb big ben lol, or maybe even Paris.

Dunkelgrau

I have finished the game in this moment. It has one of the greatest storylines of this generation. Much better than all of his predecessors. But the gameplay was mostly dummy.

I tried to get 100% synchronization in the main-quest, made all lookouts, only one side-quest and collect some of the treasures. Beside that I did nothing: No hunting, no naval-missions and all the other things you can do in AC3 (I am pretty sure that there are a lot more things you can do).

I have not much time, because of my work, so I ask you: Have I missed something really good stuff or should I switch to the next game?

]blacky[;46508314 said:
I have finished the game in this moment. It has one of the greatest storylines of this generation. Much better than all of his predecessors. But the gameplay was mostly dummy.

I tried to get 100% synchronization in the main-quest, made all lookouts, only one side-quest and collect some of the treasures. Beside that I did nothing: No hunting, no naval-missions and all the other things you can do in AC3 (I am pretty sure that there are a lot more things you can do).

I have not much time, because of my work, so I ask you: Have I missed something really good stuff or should I switch to the next game?

Go back and do the naval missions. All of them. Now. Fuck your work.

Dunkelgrau

Go back and do the naval missions. All of them. Now. Fuck your work.
I liked them really when I played that ones which are included in the main-quest. But I have so many other games to play ... I don’t believe that there are really worth to spend more time into.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
On Sequence 9 and I can't help but think how much better this game could have been. The ship missions are fun I just have no motivation to do them. Nothing is as intuitive/easy as it was in Brotherhood and I just find myself frustrated and doing the main story missions. Beautiful game though, especially on PC. I hope in the next one they make side things have more motivation and I hope they cut stuff that is useless. This is a game that could really use some trimming, AC games have gotten a lot of bloat :\

Yes, great looking game, but damn it is not fun. I think I'm on sequence 5, but have no will to go on. I have so many games in my backlog that are probably actually fun.

The main guy is so damn annoying looking, like Colin from IGN without his hipster glasses. His voice is making me hate Nathan Drake and that is a bad thing.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
]blacky[;46508314 said:

I couldn't disagree more, the story up to AC3 has been somewhat fine and tolerable for a game, but the past stuff was a bit of a bore most of the time and the present stuff was totally messed around, inserting random nonsense and disregarding previous story elements to seemingly just throw something out there for a future sequel.

But anyway, lol...

]blacky[;46508314 said:
Beside that I did nothing: No hunting, no naval-missions and all the other things you can do in AC3 (I am pretty sure that there are a lot more things you can do).

]blacky[;46508732 said:
I liked them really when I played that ones which are included in the main-quest. But I have so many other games to play ... I don’t believe that there are really worth to spend more time into.

The naval stuff is some of the best in the game, from the normal sea missions to the peg leg stuff, they are some of the best parts of the game. As a fan of AC from the beginning I would happily take a game that threw away most of AC3 for one built around the Naval stuff but expanded in a future title.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
]blacky[;46508732 said:

There's only like 6-10 of them so that's about an hour to 6 hours or 20 hours at max for these. You could do them in a day.

Does anyone know what the new Wii U patch...did...if anything? I miss multiplayer!

Not sure what the patch does but maybe it has something to do with DLC now being available.

Edit: Now that I have the game open, the first difference I noticed was there are now markers dotted around the Homestead for each of the settlers houses.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm on Sequence 6 and now that it's opened up I'm trying to run around and do everything but I'm not really sure what there is to...do? Map is really confusing. I did all the viewpoints in the frontier but they didn't seem to uncover the fog of war? Most of the frontier map is still empty.

Are Frontiersmen camps...missions? I talked to them and they said "go kill a sasquatch" and then the game gave me no further hints on wtf I'm supposed to do.

Should I play further into the main game sequences before I start trying to 100% all the sidestuff? Because right now a lot of the symbols are confusing as hell and I don't even understand the liberation sub-systems or what I'm supposed to be doing with the homestead besides saving people and adding them to it.

I enjoyed the 7 hour intro to the game and it's solid and atmospheric so far. I HATE the lock-picking mini-game and it seems like there isn't a whole lot of sidestuff to do at least so far judging by how empty the maps are. I miss there being a million treasures everywhere to at least make exploring the map's nooks & cranny's feel more rewarding. Chasing Almanac pages is kind of boring. Also traversing Boston isn't particularly fun since you can't run on the roofs for more than a minute before you set off alerts so you're stuck to non-roof traversal which seems kind of anti-AC.

Also had the PC version crash a couple of times, but at least it auto-saves all the time, so I didn't lose much. Still annoying.

Oh and what the hell is up with the crazy fog? Every synchronize cutscene in the frontier was staring at a bunch of fog instead of actually seeing a beautiful vista like past AC games. It's fine in the cities, but Frontier...wth!

I'm on Sequence 6 and now that it's opened up I'm trying to run around and do everything but I'm not really sure what there is to...do? Map is really confusing. I did all the viewpoints in the frontier but they didn't seem to uncover the fog of war? Most of the frontier map is still empty.

Are Frontiersmen camps...missions? I talked to them and they said "go kill a sasquatch" and then the game gave me no further hints on wtf I'm supposed to do.

Should I play further into the main game sequences before I start trying to 100% all the sidestuff? Because right now a lot of the symbols are confusing as hell and I don't even understand the liberation sub-systems or what I'm supposed to be doing with the homestead besides saving people and adding them to it.

I enjoyed the 7 hour intro to the game and it's solid and atmospheric so far. I HATE the lock-picking mini-game and it seems like there isn't a whole lot of sidestuff to do at least so far judging by how empty the maps are. I miss there being a million treasures everywhere to at least make exploring the map's nooks & cranny's feel more rewarding. Chasing Almanac pages is kind of boring. Also traversing Boston isn't particularly fun since you can't run on the roofs for more than a minute before you set off alerts so you're stuck to non-roof traversal which seems kind of anti-AC.

Also had the PC version crash a couple of times, but at least it auto-saves all the time, so I didn't lose much. Still annoying.

Oh and what the hell is up with the crazy fog? Every synchronize cutscene in the frontier was staring at a bunch of fog instead of actually seeing a beautiful vista like past AC games. It's fine in the cities, but Frontier...wth!

The map doesn't update like it previous AC games (i.e. Viewpoints do not uncover large portions of the map), you have to actually traverse around the map and it unveils itself that way. It is a terrible way to get access to the map and definitely a backwards step.

For the Frontiersman missions, you will now find another marker on the map (a white version of the Frontiersman symbol) that if you go to will continue that mission. Once you complete that, you can find another camp (or the same one) and get access to the next mission.

I don't think there is any reason to wait to do some of the side stuff but you should definitely start finding people for the Homestead because as you get more settlers there, and then progress through the main story, you gain access to more missions around the Homestead.

So I enjoyed Brotherhood and Revelations and was hoping the same was going to be done with Connor (maybe one where he's in the French Revolution), but with Desmond dead, is this even possible? Has there been any hint to other Connor games before AC4?

I just beat the game last night, and I have my own theory on the ending that could give us another Conner game.
Desmond may not really be dead- just locked in his own body. We could get a game where Desmond uses the bleeding effect to re-assemble his own mind and awaken from his comatose, deathlike state if they want to use him again.

iNvid02

I just beat the game last night, and I have my own theory on the ending that could give us another Conner game.
Desmond may not really be dead- just locked in his own body. We could get a game where Desmond uses the bleeding effect to re-assemble his own mind and awaken from his comatose, deathlike state if they want to use him again.

is desmond really dead?

his body was fried and devoid of a pulse. however, the continued existence of subject 16 - or a simulation thereof - indicates that desmond's digital resurrection is not an impossibility. both the assassins and templars possessed the means to scan, record and store his data during the tumultuous events of 2012, which means that a digital facsimile of desmond could hypothetically play a future role.

near the end juno also says ""Still, you have made a difference, and will do so again."

based on what we know of the 6th sense (sixth method of salvation employed by the first civ), it could also be speculated that the biometric device he touched in the temple allowed a transfer of consciousness, and that desmond now exists within the temple walls - just as juno did before him for thousands of years.

more in the spoiler thread

Timurid

How are you supposed to defeat those officers in the green uniform?!?!?

I keep getting killed by them. I can't even counter them without taking damage.

Help PLEASE!

iNvid02

How are you supposed to defeat those officers in the green uniform?!?!?

I keep getting killed by them. I can't even counter them without taking damage.

Help PLEASE!

rope dart to subdue and then you can just stab em while they are down

also guns and arrows should work, or call in some recruits to deal with them

this series has always been good at making your player a tank, you should be running over everyone

SJRB

Gold Member

That would be terrible, because
it would basically render everything he did mute. His sacrifice would be meaningless, as would ACIII's ending and pretty much all four games prior. Besides, they did the coma-thing in Revelations.

We don't need Desmond. The series needs to move on to a fresh cast as soon as possible.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm finally starting to get the hang of how this game works for all the optional content. Definitely enjoying it a lot more now that I know you go "black markers -> white markers" and that you gotta uncover the map yourself.

A couple of questions though:

1. In all the AC2+ games you'd buy weapons and armor and paintings. Did they get rid of that here? Are there no armor upgrades? And no other weapons than tomahawk/hidden blade? No paintings or anything to decorate your homestead?

2. What are citizen missions unlocked on the map screen?

iNvid02

I'm finally starting to get the hang of how this game works for all the optional content. Definitely enjoying it a lot more now that I know you go "black markers -> white markers" and that you gotta uncover the map yourself.

1. In all the AC2+ games you'd buy weapons and armor and paintings. Did they get rid of that here? Are there no armor upgrades? And no other weapons than tomahawk/hidden blade? No paintings or anything to decorate your homestead?

you can buy new outfits and weapons at a general store, marked with a £ on the map. they got rid of armor though, unsure of what you can decorate your homestead with as well.

do the mini liberate citizen missions (just kill a few guys and free someone usually) and eventually a contact will appear on the map for that area (with a similar map icon), help them and they become your assassin recruit

performance issues aside im having fun too on PC, atmosphere is superb. just takes a while to understand everything - which prolly sounds insane coming from a long time fan like myself. they did a terribad job at explaining stuff to you

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

No armour upgrades sadly, you can buy weapons at the general stores, the better rare ones you need to craft though which you can find blueprints for in treasure chests or finding the requirements online and making them yourself. You can do what I and others do and just take swords from guards and keep them forever but technically it doesn't unlock them, personally I only used the tomahawk and hidden blade through the whole game though.

You can unlock paintings and other such things that appear in a room upstairs, but they are for doing certain things, the navel missions for instance unlock a bunch of paintings, and there are some "special" items you craft to decorate the empty room upstairs but they have no use past an achievement/trophy.

For some reason they took most of the city buying and item stuff for the homestead missions and expansion, which doesn't really do much besides let you buy more matierials to craft more things etc.

Citizen missions are like side missions before, assinations, courier requests and delivery requests, the first two are pretty simple go certain places delivering or kiling, the delivery requests require making certain amounts of certain items.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah the homestead stuff seems weird. Instead of the fun city buying aspect of AC2, you recruit people so that you can spend a lot of time to craft items...that ummm...you can't use and are only for the meta-game of trading and selling for money?

Or can you craft weapons and stuff that you can actually use in playing the main game?

Everytime I play this game I run into glitches. Like tonight I did the first hunting society mission to kill the bear in the cave. I lured the bear out and then hid to try to stealth kill it, well it walked about halfway through the room and then vanished in thin air and the quest failed and I had to kill myself and do it all again... lol Also run into disappearing quest markers A LOT, which is annoying when it's the last part of a quest and it tells me to go somewhere but the marker isn't there. Definitely takes me out of it a bit.

I do like how the exploration/frontier feels almost like they merged AC with Skyrim and some RDR. It's pretty atmospheric and easy to lose hours just running around doing things. Though it doesn't hold a candle to the feeling of exploring and playing RDR.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Yeah the homestead stuff seems weird. Instead of the fun city buying aspect of AC2, you recruit people so that you can spend a lot of time to craft items...that ummm...you can't use and are only for the meta-game of trading and selling for money?

Or can you craft weapons and stuff that you can actually use in playing the main game?

Everytime I play this game I run into glitches. Like tonight I did the first hunting society mission to kill the bear in the cave. I lured the bear out and then hid to try to stealth kill it, well it walked about halfway through the room and then vanished in thin air and the quest failed and I had to kill myself and do it all again... lol Also run into disappearing quest markers A LOT, which is annoying when it's the last part of a quest and it tells me to go somewhere but the marker isn't there. Definitely takes me out of it a bit.

I do like how the exploration/frontier feels almost like they merged AC with Skyrim and some RDR. It's pretty atmospheric and easy to lose hours just running around doing things. Though it doesn't hold a candle to the feeling of exploring and playing RDR.

The "better" weapons can only be crafted.

iNvid02

ibeF4mMa4kT86M.gif

I'm knee-deep in Sequence 10 and I'm finally *getting* this game. I tried the original ONE time after I bought it on PS3, but I had been a lapsed gamer for so long before that...I just wanted a God of War-type linear experience and AssCreed was...not that.

I decided to give this one a try because I had so few choices on the Wii U and I'm glad I did. I stuck to multiplayer mostly, but now I'm getting into the singleplayer as well. I'm even doing side missions! Who knew?

One thing that struck me the other day while playing was the amount of pop-in. I was swimming toward a shore and trees and entire mountains just popped into the horizon as if they'd just come into existence. Seemed very N64 to me.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Man I just started and I'm kind of bored so far (sequence 2).

How is it, that after 4 games, stealth (in a title where you are supposed to be a silent ASSASSIN) is still so bad. It guess its especially glaring since the last two games I completed both had FUN and unclunky stealth mechanics (Dishonored/ Far Cry 3).

I can only imagine how awesome this game COULD be if the rest of the game mechanics were as good as the free running. :\

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
buzz cut connor, his pony tail, well most of his hair actually just fucked off somewhere

ac3sp2013012310383929olrg1.png
lol, I was looking forward to unlocking the Kanien'kehá:ka outfit but I eventually stopped wearing it because of this bug. I couldn't take anything seriously with his hair like that.

Stat!

Would anyone like to play wolfpack?

I have yet to touch MP, but looking for some friends to play and would prefer co-op then versus (but don't truly care).

My GT is ACES11 and I'll be on all night if anyone is up for some multiplayer.

rataven

I'd play with ya, but I'm on PSN. Wolfpack is ridiculously fun with friends and the only way to really play, but it's also sort of entertaining with strangers too, oddly enough. It's hilarious watching them run around, doing everything wrong. :p

If any PSN GAFers want to play, feel free to add me (PSN is same as GAF name), just let me know you're from here.

Top Bottom