• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Stark

Banned
Also, I have to say how surprised I am at
how long we get to play a as Haythan. I have got to the point to where I realize he is Connor's dad.
I really like him as a character. Truly a gentleman, a scholar... and a badass.

Need an entire game just with him!
So awesome.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well, crap. I accidentally re-entered the Animus during the
interlude before Sequence 4

There's no way to back out of the animus voluntarily, is there? Did I miss anything? :(
I did the exact same, you can just press start and exit the animus manually whenever you want.

You would have missed one thing that seems important, but you can still exit and experience it.

fernoca

Just started this and..YES!!! Desmond has Francisco Randez' sexy face again!! <3!! :D! (think this is not a spoiler...right? :p)
More detailed now than before too.

rataven

I turned the HUD completely off as I prefer to play AC games without it, but for whatever reason, the stupid money icon still shows. Argh, so annoying.

CrazyDude

Love it. It's Assassin's Creed, but finally in a more interesting setting. The combat has never been deep, but the sword play never felt better. Unfortunately, the AI is still dumb as a box of rocks, but everything else makes for it. Just a great game.

Also, I have to say how surprised I am at
how long we get to play a as Haythan. I have got to the point to where I realize he is Connor's dad.
I really like him as a character. Truly a gentleman, a scholar... and a badass.

He is a great contrast in terms of templar's when you compare him to the Borgia.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is the multiplayer down or is Ubisoft just not recognizing the Uplay pack I downloaded before installing the game?

TheSeks

PS3? >__>

... Does it look like I'm not on PSN, Kyon?

Edit: Okay, it wasn't recognizing the Uplay passport like I thought. Had to back out, go into the store and have it see it was installed. Funky, Ubisoft.

(Hate online passes)

Tawpgun

Question regarding your time with Desmond just AFTER Connor gets his Assassin Robes.

I did the NYC mission, got the thing, came back, plugged it in, went through the door that opened, blah blah blah Juno is shady, I climb through everything and I can't seem to get any further. There's this downed ramp I feel I should be able to climb but I can't. Haven't unlocked that ability yet? I can see Juno standing across the room, just no way of getting to her.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I must be playing a different PS3 SKU then the people who are not getting crazy frame rate dips.

I'm playing the PSN downloaded version... are people playing that one and not seeing bad frame rate?

First naval battle was so fun. Great addition to the series, unlike tower defence. There seems to be an overwhelming amount of stuff to do. This one's gonna last me a while.

Edit: framerate is much better on PS3 than previous games I feel. AC2 stuttered a lot, but this is relatively smooth.

ironcreed

Banned
I must be playing a different PS3 SKU then the people who are not getting crazy frame rate dips.

I'm playing the PSN downloaded version... are people playing that one and not seeing bad frame rate?

It was dipping a bit for me during like the first hour, but has smoothed out fairly well as I got going. No glitches thus far either.

Kyon

Banned
... Does it look like I'm not on PSN, Kyon?

Edit: Okay, it wasn't recognizing the Uplay passport like I thought. Had to back out, go into the store and have it see it was installed. Funky, Ubisoft.

(Hate online passes)

Gurl... I didn't even notice lol

ultron87

Whelp, I still really enjoy Assassins Creed games. Played for five hours straight.

At some point I need to figure out how to win at the board minigame where you place pieces and slide them. I can't get a handle on the strategy for that at all.

demolitio

Is it just me or does Desmond seem rather...thin? I recall his face being a bit wider or less defined cheeks.

That shouldn't shock anyone since they redesign every other day it seems. He looks a lot different now than the first game and they seem to tweak him each game so you can see the resemblance of his ancestors in him. Maybe they had to make him thinner to get some animations to work or to avoid clipping doing certain things (assuming he does as I haven't played yet)?

I also remember that great comparison picture from Revelations where they made him look more like one of the designers instead of the old games.

TheSeks

Multiplayer controls are different. Stun/Kill on the same button now, wut?

I'll have to adjust but some of the new stuff (coin bomb) is nice. Gotta grind for unlocks again though, ugh.

Sai-kun

Banned
I cannot fucking finish this mission towards the end of Sequence 7 where you have to kill
Pitcairn.

Seriously. It's fucking impossible to be stealthy. So stupid.

I played AC1 and 2, but not the parts after 2, so I'm feeling a bit lost storywise:
Could someone tell me in a few words what has happened between 2 and 3?

exYle

Thanks. Pretty far in then.

So worth it, though.

Seriously, the naval combat in this game is so much fun. It's so simple, but it's soooo enjoyable!

Except when you're fighting forts. What the fuck. How annoying can you get.

I played AC1 and 2, but not the parts after 2, so I feeling a bit lost storywise:
Could someone fill me up in a few words what has happened between 2 and 3?

Desmond kills Lucy because aliens took over his body due to the fact that they sense she is a templar.

Said Alien tells him the world will end in 2012 and he has to stop it. His dad wakes him up using the animus.

All of GAF collectively still wonder why we have modern day stuff.

CrazyDude

Desmond kills Lucy because aliens took over his body due to the fact that they sense she is a templar.

Said Alien tells him the world will end in 2012 and he has to stop it. His dad wakes him up using the animus.

All of GAF collectively still wonder why we have modern day stuff.

Not aliens, ancient civilization.

Stark

Banned
So worth it, though.

Seriously, the naval combat in this game is so much fun. It's so simple, but it's soooo enjoyable!

Except when you're fighting forts. What the fuck. How annoying can you get.

How is it annoying? just wondering so I know. Anything I should avoid?

The music in this game is beautiful.

exYle

How is it annoying? just wondering so I know. Anything I should avoid?

The music in this game is beautiful.

There's a couple things that make it a difficult and unfair naval battle:

1) The fort is stationary, and you are not. While this means an easier target, it also means that the fort NEVER has to reposition to fire and hit you. It is always shooting.

2) The fort's firing patterns are very frustrating. When it starts shooting, you can see where all the mortars are going to hit (indicated by a decently large line of water being disrupted). This line is always directly in the path of your current direction. However, despite the clear signs about where the mortars are heading next, the ship driving mechanisms make it difficult to avoid. The turning angles are too wide to effectively dodge all the mortar shots, and while you can pull back the sails and attempt to stop forward motion into the line of fire, you cannot come to a full stop fast enough to avoid accidentally drifting into the mortar fire. The only reliable solution to avoid getting bombarded is to turn away from the fort, beyond the distance of the mortar fire. This leads into my next point:

3) Hitting the damn fort is annoying. It's situated on a hill or cliffside, so you need to be relatively close to hit the actual fort; too far, and you're shelling the land underneath the fort instead. Unfortunately, this means that to hit the fort, you have to be within range of the fort's mortars.

What ends up happening is that you ending up pacing back and forth in front of the fort, trying to dodge mortars (which messes up your aim - you can only fire in a straight line perpendicular to the bow) which are shot in a way that predicts your current course, while also trying to avoid hitting obstacles, such as the shore. Not very fun.

What happened at the end if sequence 3? Something happened and I had to go away from the tv.

meh.ro6712.jpg

exYle

What happened at the end if sequence 3? Something happened and I had to go away from the tv.

Where exactly did you stop? I'll transcribe the important parts of the ending of that sequence, but it may be missing some parts.

- You assassinate Edward Braddock.
- The native lady takes you to the alien cave, where you try waving your necklace around. The walls glow green, but ultimately do nothing. You and the lady hook up right there.
- You meet up with your friends/allies back in Boston. You guys agree that it's time to set up a permanent base of operations in America, and you decide that Charles Lee has proven himself to be a capable enough individual to be inducted into your order... which is revealed to be the Templars. DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN.

Stark

Banned
There's a couple things that make it a difficult and unfair naval battle:

1) The fort is stationary, and you are not. While this means an easier target, it also means that the fort NEVER has to reposition to fire and hit you. It is always shooting.

2) The fort's firing patterns are very frustrating. When it starts shooting, you can see where all the mortars are going to hit (indicated by a decently large line of water being disrupted). This line is always directly in the path of your current direction. However, despite the clear signs about where the mortars are heading next, the ship driving mechanisms make it difficult to avoid. The turning angles are too wide to effectively dodge all the mortar shots, and while you can pull back the sails and attempt to stop forward motion into the line of fire, you cannot come to a full stop fast enough to avoid accidentally drifting into the mortar fire. The only reliable solution to avoid getting bombarded is to turn away from the fort, beyond the distance of the mortar fire. This leads into my next point:

3) Hitting the damn fort is annoying. It's situated on a hill or cliffside, so you need to be relatively close to hit the actual fort; too far, and you're shelling the land underneath the fort instead. Unfortunately, this means that to hit the fort, you have to be within range of the fort's mortars.

What ends up happening is that you ending up pacing back and forth in front of the fort, trying to dodge mortars (which messes up your aim - you can only fire in a straight line perpendicular to the bow) which are shot in a way that predicts your current course, while also trying to avoid hitting obstacles, such as the shore. Not very fun.

Ouch. That sounds really tedious. :/ I hope those don't "appear" as much then.

Question regarding your time with Desmond just AFTER Connor gets his Assassin Robes.

I did the NYC mission, got the thing, came back, plugged it in, went through the door that opened, blah blah blah Juno is shady, I climb through everything and I can't seem to get any further. There's this downed ramp I feel I should be able to climb but I can't. Haven't unlocked that ability yet? I can see Juno standing across the room, just no way of getting to her.

Ignore that sloped
ramped. There should be a room on the floor right below and to the left of that ramp. Climb up the rubble in that room and you should find what appears to me a control station.

How the hell do I sneak into the early sequence 3
tent to get the tactical plans, the guard keeps walking quickly back and forth in front of the small entrance

Top Bottom