• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Eideka

Banned
Framerate is not stable at all for me (PS3 version). I experienced several drops during the prologue as well.

And this is with the patch of course.

What i find so annoying about the framerate is that it's obvious why the game is chugging.... there's like 50 people on screen and a million things going on plus heaps of depth of field and AA etc.

Surely during development someone at ubisoft with half a brain would notice this and think "oh we better dial back some settings because this game runs like absolute ass."

8bit

Knows the Score
Is the Xbox 360 version better or worse than the PS3 version? Ubiworkshop shipped me the wrong version (360 instead of ordered PS3 version) and I'm loathe to open the package despite it supposedly being region free.

mxgt

Banned
Getting this today on PS3 but the frame rate reports disturb me. I might hold off if it regularly drops below 30

Omni

Is the Xbox 360 version better or worse than the PS3 version? Ubiworkshop shipped me the wrong version (360 instead of ordered PS3 version) and I'm loathe to open the package despite it supposedly being region free.

I'm up to sequence 6 on the Xbox and I've had absolutely no problems with it at all. Looks better than Revelations, frame rate is nice and solid and so far there is no visible screen tearing.

Why can't I kill kids in this game? Disappointing.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm not saying its excusable. You'll see me complaining about glitches a few pages back. But it's not like Ubisoft Montreal have been sitting around playing solitaire the last 3 years. Clearly a massive amount of work has gone into the game.

Very true, and I think anyone who even played 5 minutes will confirm that this has been a massive endeavour.

But perhaps it is simply TOO ambitious for its own good. Even though Ubi built a new engine, the console versions are clearly struggling to keep up.

Most unfortunate for everyone.

Eideka

Banned
It's crazy how
Haytham
is way more charismatic than Connor.

In fact I would not mind a entire episode focused on him.

Framerates were never stable for Ass Creed games on PS3 for me, so it looks like Ass Creed 3 is the same. That's disappointing. I hope PC version fairs better!

one_kill

Not sure why but I can't "go online" to play multiplayer. I'm playing the PS3 version.

Also, what happens when you don't complete the optional missions?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
With the patch. So far the framerate on PS3 is much worse than the other AC games.

I'm up to sequence 6 on the Xbox and I've had absolutely no problems with it at all. Looks better than Revelations, frame rate is nice and solid and so far there is no visible screen tearing.

Sounds exactly the same as the last couple of AC games, visually identical but 360 version edging it out in performance.

steven28

Why can't I kill kids in this game? Disappointing.

are you playing with the patch ?...also is the game installed to the hard drive or are you playing off the disc ?

Omni

are you playing with the patch ?...also is the game installed to the hard drive or are you playing off the disc ?

The patch was 17MB, right? Well, yeah that's installed. Playing straight from the disc too. Haven't had a chance to install to HDD yet

brogan

Neo Member
The framerate on PS3 is all over the place for me. When in the city, doing anything other than walking, the FPS seems to be down in the 20's, but that's just a guess. Doesnt seem near 30 at most times though. Things fair better in the frontier where there isn't as much happening on screen. It's weird because I had the same problem with Revelations so looked up a a video on DF where they were comparing the framerate and at most times it was at 30 or there abouts. But when I played the game myself it doesn't seem smooth.

Having said this, I'd still recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed the series thus far. For me, It's a big step up from what the other games have been doing and things are only just getting going. The framerate has been dodgy for me in all the games though, so it isn't ruining the experience. Just makes me wish I had a PC. But I'm still loving it.

Carbonox

rRnSu.jpg

Thank God it's a suitable box for my shelf this time unlike that shitty transformer box Revelations LE came in.

It's crazy how
Haytham
is way more charismatic than Connor.

In fact I would not mind a entire episode focused on him.

I'm only on Sequence 2, but goddamn, I love playing as him. He's got a fantastic wry wit. Also, I love Charles Lee and the two have a really engaging dynamic.

is there any reason not to go and get all the Uplay rewards for AC3 seeing as how the point total matches the reward total? maybe future rewards?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
OPM flip flop on their review & took down their post from a few days ago where they said "according to the snappit from the magazine they posted from another review (obviously) it was the best in the series"
Ya can't tell people that because of the embargo you can't put up a online review & quote ya magazine saying its the best one & then remove it when the real review goes up saying the total opposit?

Lucifon

Anyone in the UK have their preorder with Tesco Entertainment before it switched to Tesco Direct? Still not got my copy...

Tiu Neo

Didn't have a lot of problems with framerate. Maybe one or two drops, but nothing too noticiable. PS3, post-patch, digital version.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Wtf at the frame rate. at times it dipped as low as 15fps!

game is boring as hell. glad I rented it. typical ubisoft crap.

Dachande

I have to say I'm really not convinced by AC3 so far... this intro sequence is really, really long and I'm pretty sick of it by now.

I'm also finding combat to be far too hectic and hard to read compared to the 2 series where you can take your time. It may have been one of the contentious points of the series, but I've always loved the slow, counter-heavy combat of the previous games and I'm not too keen on these changes.

I dunno, I'll keep with it and hope it improves, but so far... engh...

What happened to the faces in this game? Every character looks completely different facial-wise

Everyone looks worse and much less realistic, IMO, but oh well.

Regarding the beginning of sequence 3:
I think they want you to knock everyone out. I tried sneaking through and not confronting anyone and failed every time. Got really frustrated until I said fuck it and started strangling dudes.

Petrie

Banned
Quick question/problem.:

I'm on sequence 5 I believe with an optional objective to find 3 Feathers, however 1 of them seems to be in an area not available in this memory, and heading towards it causes a desync. Any clue what I might be doing wrong? No other feathers on the map.

Omni

Random questions.

Can you buy weapons and/or armour in this game? I'm up to sequence 7 and I haven't heard anything about it.

Can you change the colour of your clothes?

^^^^ There are more feathers spread around, I'm pretty sure.

theDeeDubs

The faces look weird but are an improvement from Rev. I loved Rev, but they made the faces awful in it. Anyway, loving AC3 (PS3 digital) so far. I like each entry in this series more and more.

Halcyon

Random questions.

Can you buy weapons and/or armour in this game? I'm up to sequence 7 and I haven't heard anything about it.

Can you change the colour of your clothes?

^^^^ There are more feathers spread around, I'm pretty sure.

Yea you can go to the general store in Boston and get weapons and new outfits. It was all expensive though. I got the dark blue outfit and it looks pretty awesome.

Nemesis_

Can someone answer my urgently, if possible?

How the FUCK do you shoot something while on horseback? I'm trying to go for 100% sync but my character just isn't doing anything. This is the powder kegs in Sequence 3, I believe.

Sitting here with the game paused, cheers guys!

Andrew.

Banned
Gonna pick up a PS3 copy today on my break. I'm basically hearing 50% complain about the framerate and the other 50% saying they had little to no issues. Fuck it, I'm taking the chance, I need something fresh to play and I love the setting.

Omni

Yea you can go to the general store in Boston and get weapons and new outfits. It was all expensive though. I got the dark blue outfit and it looks pretty awesome.

Oh okay, cool. Will definitely look out for it tomorrow. I have like 10,000 pounds or whatever it is... Hopefully it's enough to get something.

PowderedToast

The others looks really bad compared to the characters in the rest of the game, but Desmond's face was always based on Francisco Randez and I think in AC3, its the best version by far.

600full-francisco-randez.jpg

yummy

he actually looks like this now?

although i admit i quite like jewish desmond from revelations. ubisofts lack of face consistency is hilarious though.

Omni

Can someone answer my urgently, if possible?

How the FUCK do you shoot something while on horseback? I'm trying to go for 100% sync but my character just isn't doing anything. This is the powder kegs in Sequence 3, I believe.

Sitting here with the game paused, cheers guys!

Don't you have to hold 'y' or something?

Eh, I'd never try to get 100% on my first playthrough. Too restricting, IMO.

Quick question/problem.:

I'm on sequence 5 I believe with an optional objective to find 3 Feathers, however 1 of them seems to be in an area not available in this memory, and heading towards it causes a desync. Any clue what I might be doing wrong? No other feathers on the map.

Had this same problem last night.. For some reason it shows the feather you can't get to yet on the map, but there's another on the way to the objective that doesn't show up.

Nemesis_

Don't you have to hold 'y' or something?

Eh, I'd never try to get 100% on my first playthrough. Too restricting, IMO.

I worked it out, but it was really flakey.

I like the sync goals - they make me play a little bit less sloppily and they are after all meant to be the "way it happened" if that makes sense.

madmackem

Theres still alot of jank with this game at times, they hold your hand so much at the start but then the first real mission tell you to pick up a musket but dont tell you how the fuck to fire it. Also the counter system seems a bit random at times like all ac games, dat shadow dithering man.

Omni

rRnSu.jpg

Thank God it's a suitable box for my shelf this time unlike that shitty transformer box Revelations LE came in.

Love that art. So much better than what I got

I ordered online ages ago and didn't know what came in it. I guess the diary thing is cool, but some pages are folded over and it looks like the only way to see what it says underneath is to cut it or something... which I don't want to do

Top Bottom