• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Stark

Banned
just passed the part where Connor is forced to leave his mother under the rubble... stupid question about the Charles Lee confrontation. Is that explained later? I'm talking about the way they acted or am I to assume the order went to shit?

I just had to LOL @ the AC3 Steelbook that I got from Amazon not being able to hold 2 discs when the 360 version of the game is on 2 discs. I mean WTF?

Also, I never played through Revelations or Brotherhood.. Should I go through those first or is this game more of a self contained story where it doesn't really matter?

KingK

Damn this game starts slow. I am enjoying it, but it's starting to feel a bit ridiculous that I've been playing for this long and I'm still not
playing as full grown Conner yet in sequence 5

Still, tons of positives. The game (usually) looks fantastic. Animations are great. I'm finding myself enjoying running around Boston a lot more than I thought I would at first (I didn't think I'd like the transition from tall grandiose architecture to small colonial town). Also, I'm still just starting to comprehend how huge the frontier is.

The story has been pretty intriguing so far. More so than AC2 was for me at this point.

Balphon

just passed the part where Connor is forced to leave his mother under the rubble... stupid question about the Charles Lee confrontation. Is that explained later? I'm talking about the way they acted or am I to assume the order went to shit?

Sequence 4: I don't know, but
it felt pretty silly that they inexplicably starting acting like total black hats five minutes after the game revealed they were Templars.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Damn this game starts slow. I am enjoying it, but it's starting to feel a bit ridiculous that I've been playing for this long and I'm still not
playing as full grown Conner yet in sequence 5

Still, tons of positives. The game (usually) looks fantastic. Animations are great. I'm finding myself enjoying running around Boston a lot more than I thought I would at first (I didn't think I'd like the transition from tall grandiose architecture to small colonial town). Also, I'm still just starting to comprehend how huge the frontier is.

The story has been pretty intriguing so far. More so than AC2 was for me at this point.

I didn't start enjoying the game until I hit Sequence 6 honestly. Everything prior to that reeks of crappy pacing at best. Ugh.

Nemesis_

Trying to purchase the Season Pass.

It says on the game though that it is free, however I cannot download it.

Anyone run into this? Best to just wait it out?

Now that Ive played a few more hours I can definately say I love it. I had no intentions of playing in 3D, but thought Id give it a whirl and now Im hooked. It really does add to the immersion and the cutscenes are gorgeous. The sequence in the last part of the prologue leading up until the title shows up gave me chills, love the way it started.

As far as everything else goes I will be honest, I am willing to brush off some of the bugs and whatnot, because of the shear scope of the game. They very well could have stuck with the same engine and then started fresh next gen but going this route I think the first of the next gen AC will benefit.

Wow, really love this game. More of the same? Not really. The game controls so different; that alone, for me, really opens it up. The free-running with Connor is fucking amazing. I was a bit weary of the whole thing, but seeing how agile he is is just a treat. Story so far has been quite interesting. It certainly feels like RDR in some ways, which I can appreciate. I don't know, right now this is my favorite AC game. The combat especially is visceral and flows nicely. I guess my only complaints right now are some small glitches I'm having when free-running. You know, stuff like my character jumping when I don't want him to, etc. But that's always been in AC.

Can't wait to use the fucking tomahawk on dudes.

Nemesis_

Is sequence 6 when you
finally start playing as adult Conner?

What the fuck, it takes until Sequence 06 for that to happen? Jesus christ.

Makes sense though, given that
most of the pre-order bonuses seem to say "after Sequence 06, this will be available

kayos90

What the fuck, it takes until Sequence 06 for that to happen? Jesus christ.

Makes sense though, given that
most of the pre-order bonuses seem to say "after Sequence 06, this will be available

I don't think people understood me properly when I said the game had really poor pacing honestly. Not that I'm saying you read my post mind you. Just saying it's one of the most detrimental things in the game for me.

Stark

Banned
Sequence 4: I don't know, but
it felt pretty silly that they inexplicably starting acting like total black hats five minutes after the game revealed they were Templars.

Charles always looked like a dick when he was with Haytham.
lol. Thanks though.

Also,
nice mention of Ezio at the Homestead.

Holy crap these first sequences are so boring. I realize you have to explain how Altair's bloodline even got to the US but this is taking forever. Its not helping that my ocd is kicking in and I have to get full synchro.

kayos90

Holy crap these first sequences are so boring. I realize you have to explain how Altair's bloodline even got to the US but this is taking forever. Its not helping that my ocd is kicking in and I have to get full synchro.

None of the main protagonist ancestors are related to each other dude.

Quick

Banned
The game really slowed down when we're introduced to Connor.
I enjoyed Haytham Kenway's story and the plot twist was pretty funny with Desmond reacting to it.

The Manhattan segment was kind of cool, sucks that the city looked generic, though. In fact, every bit of the city is a copy of one side of it. There's the same glowing white building with a glowing red building beside it, which repeats every few kilometers (in-game).

Juno e-mailing Desmond, and with her telling Shaun not to interfere, and with Shaun subsequently replying to it was hilarious.

"ANIMALS!!! (Nuff said)" - Rebecca's e-mail, haha.

The game looks great, too. Facial models are a huge upgrade over ACII, Brotherhood, and Revelations. HUGE. Climbing and melee mechanics are better, as well. I burst through a house while running away from soldiers - that was cool.

None of the main protagonist ancestors are related to each other dude.
What are you saying? Of course they're related to each other. How else would Desmond even experience these memories if they're not related to each other? Revelations was all about Ezio trying to understand Altair. They explained how Altair's bloodline got to Italy in like AC2 in one of the tombs.

Nemesis_

Pretty sure the whole series deals with GENETIC MEMORIES (as false as they are) and this wouldn't exist without SOME relation.

kayos90

What are you saying? Of course they're related to each other. How else would Desmond even experience these memories if they're not related to each other? Revelations was all about Ezio trying to understand Altair. They explained how Altair's bloodline got to Italy in like AC2 in one of the tombs.

Altair, Ezio, and Connor are not related to each other. The devs explained this a long while back. However, Desmond is related to all of them.

Just finished segment 7 and I'm sick of the frontier and Boston environments.
hopefully New York is a refreshing

How long did that take?

As somebody who hated AC but loved AC2 in a way that I never want to play it or think about it ever again (because it is such a hard slog), should I be on board with 3 or is it more of the same?

Can someone explain why the modern faces are horrible looking and the past faces look alright?

jfDByNVOEsUXi.jpg

Yikes.

Pooya

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong in the lockpicking mini games or they are just really awkward and bad, it doesn't seem to detect the button presses in the last phase and randomly just pulls you back. Something is wrong with detecting stick input too, feels off, hate them.

Impressions after playing the first 3 sequences, 360 version uninstalled:
  • Framerate is all over the place. I'm not good at estimating FPS, but I would hazard a guess of it falling as low as 5FPS in areas with lots going on.
  • Pop-in is very noticeable. Stuff pops in at about 20 metres away, I've had horses pop in at that range. Really strange and jarring. But hey, bugs in the new Animus, right?
  • Production values feel through the roof but not refined in any sort of way. This may be the AC with the least polish I've ever seen from graphics to everything else.
  • New movement and stealth mechanics are annoying. I heavily dislike my character getting glued to walls and whatnot if he's within a metre of them, I should actively have to push up against a wall to go up against it, not be somewhere vaguely in the same vicinity.
  • Seeing Desmond share the same animations it seems as
    the templar you play as
    is weird to say the least, should have been some differing variation there.
  • It's very weird to me reaching all the viewpoints available and still not having the entire map visible, and having places still greyed out. It fucks with my OCD and I don't understand the reason for this change for the worse.
  • Buggiest "AAA" game I've played in a long while. I've had guns floating in the air, my character getting stuck on ledges, objectives failing to trigger, and more I can't remember ATM. I've seen more bugs already compared to all of Revelations.
  • Is the lip synching terrible or delayed for anyone else besides me? It looks like they had the right idea and just put the audio tracks ahead or something.
  • A lot of long awkward pauses in conversations I'm noticing. Not a big deal, but definitely annoying.

Didn't they say they were working on it at the same time other team was going Brotherhood and Revelations? WTF did they use their time for?

Tiu Neo

31 MB patch is on 9% after almost 10 minutes. Jesus fucking christ i am sick of sony.

Took about 15 minutes to me. The game download also took 4 hours to get to 80% and more 4 hours to get to 100%, sometimes it took almost 30 seconds to download 1MB. So unstable. :(

Played the first sequence, and really liked it, even if it was just a big tutorial with some story.

SJRB

Gold Member
To make an absolutely gigantic game pretty much from the ground up?

I read this a lot, and even though it's understandable I feel that it is by no means acceptable.

Just because this game is huge in scope and ambition doesn't mean its glaring glitches are excused.

I have decided to take the plunge and get the season pass, I know about the Tryany DLC, but could anyone else detail what other things I might get.

Nemesis_

I can't get over how terrible the faces look. Why fix what's definitely not broke? I thought the Revelations designs were are least decent.

I read this a lot, and even though it's understandable I feel that it is by no means acceptable.

Just because this game is huge in scope and ambition doesn't mean its glaring glitches are excused.

I'm not saying its excusable. You'll see me complaining about glitches a few pages back. But it's not like Ubisoft Montreal have been sitting around playing solitaire the last 3 years. Clearly a massive amount of work has gone into the game.

Top Bottom