• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Got up to Sequence/Wave 18 of 25 in Wolfpack public game. Issues arose when we started to run out of time and poached each other/panic killed.

:( Wonder what you get for finishing all 25 waves, because shit is fucking hard with a time limit with only two players and having to try to get focus/incognito so you can point up the sequences. :/

Also killing 25 people in Manhunt is hilarious as hell. People: Use your abilities. You're level 5+ now, there's no excuse.

Nori Chan

Just go my Amazon code for the game. Anyone want to trade me their Red Coat MP character code for it? If interested pm me please.

I'll probably put this up every new page :p

M.W.

Digital Foundry

In summary, Ubisoft Montreal has taken all the great technical advances offered up by Assassin's Creed Revelations, and has implanted them in a game with a more ambitious tale to tell. On top of that, it brings its own innovations too, showing a real flexibility to the game's underlying engine. The naval battles are a perfectly pitched addition, given the capabilities of each console, and do much to add variety to the gameplay. Similarly, the bumped-up NPC count, new snow effects, and forest sections also elevate the world's sense of scale and atmosphere. Certainly, the complexity of Rome isn't quite matched by Boston's 18th Century manifestation, but this is partly made up for by the added bustle on the harbours, and the constant flux of the weather.

Technically, Assassin's Creed 3 is very well-rounded game on both PS3 and 360. For starters, the use of v-sync does greater justice to the visuals while in motion, where torn frames are now gladly a thing of the past. Outside of differences in texture filtering and shadow draw distance, which favour Microsoft's console by a small margin, there's very little else that set these two versions apart in terms of image quality. The 3.5GB mandatory install on PS3 might be a factor for some, but it's clear that the faster streaming from HDD has benefited performance greatly, resulting in a frame-rate that's often neck-and-neck with the 360's - save for a few busy spots around city areas.

Looking forward, it'll be fascinating to see what may be added - or potentially subtracted - from the game's upcoming Wii U release, and whether tablet controls can find a place in the Assassin's Creed experience. The upcoming PC version will also be worth considering, especially if it allows us to clear up the weaker graphical elements in view on console such as the aliased shadows and visible geometry pop-in. If you can't wait, however, it's fair to say the game is built around a strong familiarity of the 360 and PS3's boundaries, which reaps dividends in every other way. The differences have once again become even more marginal and either version is worth your attention.

TheOddOne

Get to first eavesdrop section, shows how to inconspicuous by standing by the wall. Second eavesdrop section, guards instantly chase me without me having the time to set up. Bleh.

Marleyman

Banned
Just started the part after finding out that
Hatham is a templar
and I must say that I am extremely impressed so far. Playing on 360 and not experiencing much slowdown. I am emotionally invested in Connor already considering the scene with him being
choked by Lee and his mother killed
I can't wait to get off work...damn.

AkuMifune

Banned
Only played just a bit past the late title screen last night. So far it's fucking great! I love it just as much as I hate you guys for almost leading me astray. We'll see how the rest of it goes, but it's got it's hooks in me right now.

It's a good thing I skipped Revelations because I was burnt out at the time, but I think I'll go back to it after this at some point. I forgot how much I love the batshit craziness of the story. I like the desmond bits, I like the alien crap and I love the tertiary objectives that flesh out the world. The ship stuff was great! Man, I almost regret boycotting so many game sites this week, 'cause most of you seem down on a game I think I'm going to love.

The others looks really bad compared to the characters in the rest of the game, but Desmond's face was always based on Francisco Randez and I think in AC3, its the best version by far.

600full-francisco-randez.jpg

Did you play Revelations? His face isn't based on Randez at all.

desmond_waking_up.png

They all look a mess.

Old Shaun, the one we're used to.
Zw-shaun-start-4.png

Old Rebecca.
1660597-zw_rebecca_1.png

Can't find any pics on google that show the difference clearly, but even in smaller pics it's obvious. Why? What was the point of changing faces AGAIN?

Omni

Just started the part after finding out that
Hatham is a templar
and I must say that I am extremely impressed so far. .
That actually made me go "holy shit" out loud when I saw it. Never saw it coming at all. It's not all that often a game can surprise me like taht.

Why do I buy more arrows? Is there anywhere near the homestead or do I have to go to Boston?
There's a horse and carriage thingy that goes around the streets and you can buy/sell stuff from it. Arrows are 10 pounds each.

Anyone feel like the movement + combat is watered down? Call it streamlined all you want, but if I'm literally just pressing two buttons to do everything in the game, it's a tad dull. Hell, you can't even topple into people any more while sprinting away. You just hold the trigger, turn and Connor does everything else.

ironcreed

Banned
Only played just a bit past the late title screen last night. So far it's fucking great! I love it just as much as I hate you guys for almost leading me astray. We'll see how the rest of it goes, but it's got it's hooks in me right now.

It's a good thing I skipped Revelations because I was burnt out at the time, but I think I'll go back to it after this at some point. I forgot how much I love the batshit craziness of the story. I like the desmond bits, I like the alien crap and I love the tertiary objectives that flesh out the world. The ship stuff was great! Man, I almost regret boycotting so many game sites this week, 'cause most of you seem down on a game I think I'm going to love.

Yeah, I think I'll go back and finish Revelations at some point as well. Like you, that is when I just hit a wall with this series. But just as I had hoped, this fresh new atmosphere has made me fall in love with AC all over again. Combat feels much more visceral and fluid as well. Mind you, it was never a deep system, yet it just feels so good and looks even better. Absolutely love this game. Easily my favorite one in the series.

jonno394

I have no idea why I bought this, i've never played an AC game for longer than 2 or 3 hours before as i've never liked them, but all the posters and POS in GAME during my visit today made me buy it.

I'm part way through scenario 2 and i'm going to give it a bit longer before passing judgement, but GAME guarantee me £33 trade in value by the 6th Nov, so if I don't like it, at least I only lose £9.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Did you play Revelations? His face isn't based on Randez at all.

desmond_waking_up.png

They all look a mess.

Old Shaun, the one we're used to.
Zw-shaun-start-4.png

Old Rebecca.
1660597-zw_rebecca_1.png

Can't find any pics on google that show the difference clearly, but even in smaller pics it's obvious. Why? What was the point of changing faces AGAIN?
Devs on Revelations said that Randez came in and re-scanned his face for that game for it to work with their new face tech. So that game was using Randez as a base. They claim it was more accurate to his real appearance but I fully disagree there as well. Desmond has since Revelations looked like crap and nothing like real life Randez does, at least face texture wise or whatever. Maybe the structure is more accurate in Rev/AC3 but they sure screwed up the overall look.

iNvid02

early days yet but so far im surprised how good the game looks on PS3, also encountered my first bug in which the boat captain started shouting but his mouth was glued shut.

TheSeks

Curious to see if sales numbers will sway Ubi to either release additional patches to fix more or just say fuck it.

This is the same Ubisoft that releases map packs for the multiplayer that nobody
except me because I'm a sucker. ;___;
buys in the community. Repeatedly, after releasing three map packs in Brotherhood for free. They won't do more patches. I'm calling it.

When it shines, it really is absolutely amazing. Was exploring the frontier earlier, just looking for treasure/viewpoints and fighting some animals along the way. So gorgeous and so fluid.

The cities are kinda messy in comparison. Wouldn't surprise me if they were done by a different team.

RPGCrazied

I'm actually on the fence on getting this. Wow, it actually looks loads better than the other games on PS3. Why could've they not give AC 1 & 2 the same care as AC 3? Hopefully a collection will come out with a better engine on PS3. Doubt it though. I don't know if I want to get 3, having not able to play the first 2 games, since they run like utter shit on PS3.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm actually on the fence on getting this. Wow, it actually looks loads better than the other games on PS3. Why could've they not give AC 1 & 2 the same care as AC 3? Hopefully a collection will come out with a better engine on PS3. Doubt it though. I don't know if I want to get 3, having not able to play the first 2 games, since they run like utter shit on PS3.

I'm sure we will eventually get a trilogy set. On a better engine? I seriously, seriously doubt it.

Petrichor

The story becomes a bit of a mess towards the end in revolutionary america
why on earth does connor keep fighting for the revolutionaries when the templars are also supporting them? Is the game seriously saying that the british were so evil they forced negative cohesion between the assassin's and templars? lol. Also why is connor so pissed off with charles lee when he didn't even burn the village down? Also what a shame re: the modern day missions, they feel like and play like an afterthought.

The game is good though, I'd probably rate the series:

AC2 > AC:B = AC3 > AC:R > AC1

I'm not one to get angry at videogames, but fuck the last chase up the ass with a pointy stick. Anyone managed to complete the optional objectives without breaking the controller? Because I could really use some pointers. I try to use running assassinations to dispose of the guards, but they are a bit dodgy and most often than not I end up with a musket to the face.

I have never played an AC game before but got my wife the PS3 version last night. As I watched her play I was amazed with the amount of detail they put into making the surrounding scene seem alive and active but there are so many load screens that the action, story, and content feel so inconsistent. Is this only on PS3 or is XBOX like this as well. I normally would play on computer but it doesn't come out till after the Wii U and I'll have other priorities with that then.

Got to the Connor sections, and the game finally clicked with me. Especially now that I've reached sequence 6. But damn, it took a long time.

Okay someone help me out, I'm in sequence 3 where you have to
to go undetected in Braddock's base without killing any guards and disabling two cannons
. But every time I interact with the cannon I just slip through the floor. What the hell?

rvy

Banned
Jesus, more than half my body is completely visible while hiding in the bushes, the guard wasn't even 1 feet away from me and this blind, deaf and dumb dude could not see me.

Fuck off, lol. Ubisoft can't do stealth, confirmed.

george_us

This game's "stealth" mechanics are terrible. I'm doing the
Sequence 3 eavesdrop in the bar
and apparently walking is enough to cause suspicion.

TheSeks

Your rank >249

Out of 55,035 people playing Manhunt on PS3 so far.

Oh, yeah, I feel good. :D

rvy

Banned
This game's "stealth" mechanics are terrible. I'm doing the
Sequence 3 eavesdrop in the bar
and apparently walking is enough to cause suspicion.

You'll laugh your ass off in the next stealth section. Oh, yeah, whistle for the last guy.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
One thing for those who still are in the opening of the game. Don't go for treasures and unique stuff like that that give money, that money will be lost when you switch to Connor...

Andrew.

Banned
One thing for those who still are in the opening of the game. Don't go for treasures and unique stuff like that that give money, that money will be lost when you switch to Connor...

Then what is the point of all of that stuff being there then? You arent able to buy any sort of equipment before the Connor sequences?

Top Bottom