• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

Playing on PS5 with balanced mode. Took some snaps:

I think this is a turning point for high production single player games, honestly. 🇨🇳 has arrived. That intro alone with the volumetric effects. Mamma Mia.

Playing in Chinese and hate that I can’t make the subtitles bigger. It’s just too small.

Oh, and the soundtrack has been absolutely lush so far.
It probably also doesn't hurt this game that the Chinese developers' normal work hours is equivalent to what crunch hours are in the West.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I fought two story bosses so far. It’s growing on me the more I play. If something wipes the floor with me, I’m back in the saddle, so it’s got that going for it. Graphics are fantastic. I’m really liking the enemy design.

I did get some stutter on PS5 during the first major boss. I don’t know what that was about.

I am now tempted to change the language to Chinese.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Played over an hour and a half and haven't fought a boss yet. There is a lot of exploring the environment. The combat does have a rhythm to it that I'm not quite in sync with yet. I'm spamming the buttons a bit too much. No real performance issues, think I had a sec hitch twice when loading.

The only downside so far was the English Monkey voice actor, not the voice I was expecting.

You brave, I'ma play the whole thing in Chinese

Haint

I think this is a turning point for high production single player games, honestly. 🇨🇳 has arrived. That intro alone with the volumetric effects. Mamma Mia.

Playing in Chinese and hate that I can’t make the subtitles bigger. It’s just too small.

This looks comically bad on a properly sized monitor, rough AF. Almost Switch port levels of downgrade.

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
Anyone here that has a 3070 (8gb) and bought the game?

I'm looking for impressions before I pull the buy trigger

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Maybe try the Planet of the Apes movies? (excellent imho)
But it's not the same thing though to say the least. The modern trilogy is exellent, I liked the latest movie as well and Tim Burton version from 2001 (such a shame there was no sequel, which had a lot of potential). I think I also have every old movie on the VHS starting from Planet (68) and ending with Battle (73):messenger_relieved:

Two movies in 1995 you mean A Chinese Odyssey? By Stephen Chow?
Yeah, I can't even get past the first 25 min of the first movie:messenger_tears_of_joy:

They are my childhood favorite movies . Maybe because my country dub is really hilarious and my language borrow a lots of chinese words so the translation is faithful.
Well, it's not that translation is bad in my case, it's just I didn't expect it to be so.... cringe and comedy focused, you know? I mean, I've watched all of the Jackie Chan (one of my favorite actors) movies and I love most of them which are not made in collaboration with the US based studios, but... idk, it's just not my thing what they did in A Chinese Odyssey and I guess I expected something more serious. I haven't read the original novel btw so I can't compare.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

There seems to be a lot of aliasing + image sharpening going on there.

Can you please take some from the Performance mode as well?

tommib

What’s the point of using the cicada flying mode? Don’t you want to go through the areas and not skip encounters?

DavidGzz

I have a question; did I just get lucky and have a replacement for my healing item already or is the Trailblazer's Scarlet Gourd a consumable that doesn't replenish at the "bonfire"?

Sorry for double posting.

Edit: So it looks like you replace your gourd pretty quickly if this isn't a random drop. Nice.

Last edited:

The_hunter

How's the FPS?

nikos

Played for about an hour. Game is pretty fun so far. Nothing really makes it special or even stand out yet, but I'll stick with it.

Wonder if the concurrent player count will turn out to be Chinese pride/support, especially considering how quickly it's doing numbers, rather than the game being genuinely that good.

Image quality seems kind of scuffed to me. It's over-sharpened and there's a lot of distracting dithering.

Running at 3840x1600 ultrawide, max settings, DLSS set to 89 (one click below DLAA) with Frame Generation enabled. Just looks rough around the edges, both figuratively and literally.

The game is running DLSS 3.7.30 which, I believe, makes it the first. Interested to see if anything improves with the new Nvidia driver tomorrow.

Last edited:
But it's not the same thing though to say the least. The modern trilogy is exellent, I liked the latest movie as well and Tim Burton version from 2001 (such a shame there was no sequel, which had a lot of potential). I think I also have every old movie on the VHS starting from Planet (68) and ending with Battle (73):messenger_relieved:

Yeah, I can't even get past the first 25 min of the first movie:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Well, it's not that translation is bad in my case, it's just I didn't expect it to be so.... cringe and comedy focused, you know? I mean, I've watched all of the Jackie Chan (one of my favorite actors) movies and I love most of them which are not made in collaboration with the US based studios, but... idk, it's just not my thing what they did in A Chinese Odyssey and I guess I expected something more serious. I haven't read the original novel btw so I can't compare.

It's Stephen Chow movie lol. All of his movie are comedy. Not action focus like Jakie Chan so yeah it's kind of hard to get in if you're not familar with his movie.

I don't think there're any good movie about Wukong or Journey to the West. If you want to watch "Journey to the West", you should watch TV series instead of movie since the novel story is too fucking long.

The classic series is from 1986 when the CGI is shit. But it's the most popular version from all over Asia. I don't know about other version since I only watch 1986 version when I was a kid but you can try newer version if you think the classic one is too ugly.

DavidGzz

Free homeward bone is really nice. I also love the animations. Dodging 3 times in succession provides a unique animation on each dodge. Also, the heavy attack is weird since there is a delay before he performs it. He twirls the stick and then a second later the animation carries out. I like that you can heal on the run.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I hope the localization is good enough for people to engage with the story cause it is fucking awesome in Chinese. Those skits are on fire.

10v12

anyone know how to re-active the flying cicada mode? I de-activated it and can't seem to activate it again from anywhere

tommib

anyone know how to re-active the flying cicada mode? I de-activated it and can't seem to activate it again from anywhere
Same question for me.

I’m getting destroyed by that big stone head guy that pulls stones from the ground. Tips, anyone?

Last edited:

10v12

Same question for me.

I’m getting destroyed by that big stone head guy that pulls stones from the ground. Tips, anyone?
the giant stone monk guy?

okay so I bashed my head against the wall until I beat him, but I think the intended route is to go the other way where you'll find a much easier fire-based boss. Once you kill him, you get a new spell that should help immensely against the stone monk

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Same question for me.

I’m waiting until I get the rest of my powers then going back to him

I think the cicada thing was just an intro to showing you that you can turn into shit. There is an optional boss in that forest that gives you your first actual transformation.

Cicada will prob come back again later and be permanent is my guess

Reactions: Isa

tommib

the giant stone monk guy?

okay so I bashed my head against the wall until I beat him, but I think the intended route is to go the other way where you'll find a much easier fire-based boss. Once you kill him, you get a new spell that should help immensely against the stone monk
That makes sense. I saw the fire guy but thought the giant stone monk would be easier.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How are the difficulty settings in the game?

Is it really a souls like or is it more accessible?

begotten

Played for like an hour.

The intro + boss fight seemed to be stuttering.

But after that, when you're in the actual world, the game runs great on PS5. Looks amazing.

april6e

I'm super annoyed. I spent almost an hour stuck on the blue mini boss in the first level only to find out that you can't even absorb the reward you get from killing it until later. Time completely wasted.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Is it good ?
The first revealed gameplay did nothing to me and somehow the artstyle/graphics doesn't click with me.

I checked really quickly some gameplay but looks a bit "bland" ("Generic" is probably a better word).
Also so heard that quite some bugs were there post chapter 1 but the dev forbidde to show images from Chapter 2 onward before release (NDA for review). Which is a dick move in my opinion and make me reluctant to check it.
Restricting the reviewer to show only very early game section is a suspicious move for me.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

No HDR support, SDR looks crap like Starfield did at launch. Welp. Hope they patch this soon

Fuck man, no HDR (in a 2024, AAA, 70 Eurodollars game), fucked gamma levels (he mentions the game having a "washed out picture/look") AND a fucktonne of FSR artifacting...

Yeah, i'm gonna wait for that PS5 Pro gents

Top Bottom