• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Israel launches Operation Protective Edge against Hamas in Gaza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here, more PALLYWOOD for you, this time courtesy of bigboss370

These are from a conflict in Syria, not Gaza.

I'm saying Palestinian media is known to show pictures and video that are not contextually accurate. See above.
Dude with a twitter handle spreading misinformation is Palestinian media. Got it. Do you have any other evidence to prove the mother grieving in the video is fake, or are you going to lump all Muslims as secret propagandists. Pick your poison.

collige

Banned
He was responding to the grieving mother video.

I know. The question is still the same. It makes no sense for Hamas to find a fake grieving mother for real dead children when they could just find the real one. More importantly are the pictures above. Why would you post faked pictures of dead kids in response to real pictures of dead kids unless you're implying that the newer photos are also faked?

Pilgor

The death of these boys happened in front of various international journalists. Given that fact, why are you posting this stuff in response to this event?

I don't doubt the children died on the beach. It's very sad.

I am posting this now, because I just saw it now. Should other posters be able to pass off photos of dead Syrian children as victims in Gaza?

All Palestinian civilian casualties are faked!

I did not say that. I said the photos bigboss370 posted are a hoax. I said Palestinian media is known to show pictures and video that are not contextually accurate.

Lots coverage/documentation of the 4 Gaza kids cause they were "fortunate" 2 have been killed near where many foreign journos R staying

It's always the killings with complete documentation and outside witnesses that turn out to be exceptions to standard IDF protocol.
@Phan_N

This is how Israel is able to execute its policy of collective punishment, literally right in front of the world press, without being called on it. When international eyes are on it- "Mistakes are made". "We're not perfect", "Fog of war". The rest of the time- "human shields", "collateral damage", "Dahiya Doctrine? Never heard of it". It's almost as if unconditional support of the world's hegemon warps the capacity for sober analysis.

I did not say that. I said the photos bigboss370 posted are a hoax. I said Palestinian media is known to show pictures and video that are not contextually accurate.
You responded to the video of grieving mother with "PALLYWOOD":

The video of the mother of one of the four boys that were murdered by the IDF today was too much to watch, that poor lady and those poor boys.

edit - their ages (9,10,10,11)

the video
PALLYWOOD
Bigboss' pics came later.

Quotient

Perhaps we should agree to not post media from facebook, twitter or other forms of social media unless we can corroborate it with news outlets.

Pilgor

You responded to the video of grieving mother with "PALLYWOOD":

Bigboss' pics came later.

Yes. To the video of the woman crying, from Facebook, with absolutely no context. It was not in response to any news, photos, or videos of the children on the beach.

kmag

@Phan_N

This is how Israel is able to execute its policy of collective punishment, literally right in front of the world press, without being called on it. When international eyes are on it- "Mistakes are made". "We're not perfect", "Fog of war". The rest of the time- "human shields", "collateral damage", "Dahiya Doctrine? Never heard of it". It's almost as if unconditional support of the world's hegemon warps the capacity for sober analysis.

Yep, the usual cycle of media management has already begun. There will be an investigation started which will either just fade away or no blame will be attached and 'new' protocols will be put in place. This only ever happens when footage or independent international eyewitnesses are there, when they're not it's just business as usual. If the IDF are really feeling international pressure you might, just might get some administrative punishment for some low level IDF soldier

None. They posed no thread. Has the IDF responded to why they were targeted?

It is not uncommon for mistakes to occur in war.

if they were attacked again after the initial strike that's absolutely not a "mistake", the second strikes are intended to kill survivors of the first blast.

One of the boys' father was blind, just saw on CNN. Also

NP6W2eE.jpg

Pilgor

Update: Hamas open to UN Cease Fire Agreement, pending few more details

That's very good. According to IDF tweet, Israel agrees to the five-hour cease fire.

"As a result of dialogue between the IDF and the UN, we will enable a humanitarian window in Gaza tomorrow between 10:00 and 15:00. During this time, we will hold our fire in Gaza. This humanitarian window is meant to allow civilians to resupply needed goods."

Hopefully the conflict will end shortly.

LNBL

Those 2 pictures don't line up. The kids aren't in the same place where the smoke is coming from. It could have still happened... just those pics are odd.

Or maybe they walked into the blast further down? Sad regardless.

You can still see smoke lifting in the first picture. According to foreign journalists that were staying in the hotel next to it, the kids ran away from the first blast and were shot a secod time after running to the spot in the second picture.

Yes. To the video of the woman crying, from Facebook, with absolutely no context. It was not in response to any news, photos, or videos of the children on the beach.

The uploader is Ayman Mohyeldin from NBC. It's from an article.

So do people here believe that the IDF intentionally and knowingly killed four children?

It at least shows that the IDF doesn't care who they are targeting and/or that their reconnaissance tools are shit. Yet they are still attacking.

Cromat

If anybody who runs from an explosion is considered a fleeing fighter than I'd say they don't really care enough one way or another.

Saying that Israel doesn't do enough to avoid harming innocents is one thing, accusing it off knowingly and purposely killing children is another.

Yet you don't address the other photos, which are clearly fake. It's hard to trust people someone when they often lie. I see the source is NBC, and agree that it is genuine.

How are random pictures from random fb/twitter users relevant? You were talking about "Palestine media". You were talking about a "Palestine conspiracy". Random fb/twitter users are not "Palestine media".

Saying that Israel doesn't do enough to avoid harming innocents is one thing, accusing it off knowingly and purposely killing children is another.

Not a big difference to those kids. They are dead.

So do people here believe that the IDF intentionally and knowingly killed four children?

Intentionally? Who knows; you'll assume no because that's you're bias whilst others will assume otherwise.

But what this does sadly show is that the IDF's claim of being able to precisely target 'enemy fighters' and separating them from civilians is a load of crock.

And even more sadly, all that's going to happen with this is a lot of pretentious false sympathy, claims of 'we'll look into it,' human error and of course, a whole lot of blaming the victims for having the misfortune of being born Palestinian.

Pilgor

I don't think anyone here is accusing them of purposefully killing children. It's still a pretty big mistake.

LNBL

Yet you don't address the other photos, which are clearly fake. I see the source is NBC, and agree that it is genuine.

I don't care about your other pictures. The video you posted was in response to the video of this mother, that video is named Pallywood which can only mean you accuse this video of being part of Pallywood to.

I don't think anyone here is accusing them of purposefully killing children. It's still a pretty big mistake.

You are wrong, I am accusing them of purposefully killing these children. Either that or they just shoot on a hunch and don't bother investigating what they are shooting at.
The big mistake is to think the IDF is so goodhearted that it does everything in its power to save and avoid palestinian civilians.

Linkhero1

Considering this occurred in broad day light I would say yes. Are you telling me that they fired without bothering identifying what they were firing at, twice? I'd probably believe that considering the weight of civilian casualties.

Seems to me like they just don't bother identifying what they fire at if that's the case.

Cromat

Intentionally? Who knows; you'll assume no because that's you're bias whilst others will assume otherwise.

But what this does sadly show is that the IDF's claim of being able to precisely target 'enemy fighters' and separating them from civilians is a load of crock.

And even more sadly, all that's going to happen with this is a lot of pretentious false sympathy, claims of 'we'll look into it,' human error and of course, a whole lot of blaming the victims for having the misfortune of being born Palestinian.

Saying that the IDF doesn't purposely targeting children isn't bias, it's just plain fact. If it was all children in Gaza would be dead by now.

The killing of these poor kids is a grave mistake and a tragedy. I would like to hear any alternatives Israel has to airstrikes at this point though.

TarNaru33

Banned
Obviously Pilgor is one-sided. He'll do anything to dismiss civilian casualties as propaganda.

As is most of the people in this thread? lol..

Come on guys, use your head, most of you already have a conclusion on this and already biased. Don't know why any bothers to debate it anymore, especially when some here are so biased they dismiss anything the other side post to prove their arguments.

At any rate, I don't care for pictures and stories that leave out too much context. So showing pictures of dead civilians as if that alone shows everything that is happening to me attempts to drive sentiment, which I won't accept. Call me harsh if you like, I prefer logical arguments not based too much off of emotional tug of war.

Yet you don't address the other photos, which are clearly fake. I see the source is NBC, and agree that it is genuine.

You agree that it's genuine, so do you take back your despicable PALLYWOOD comment, and next time do not pull insensitive crap like that?

Let's not talk about bigboss pics. That is a separate discussion.

Baki

I didn't intend to come off as defending this "mistake". It is a travesty and the IDF needs to explain why they were targeted and take the appropriate actions to never let this happen again.

Do you think the IDF gives a shit.

Let me give you a hint.

they don't

LNBL

Saying that the IDF doesn't purposely targeting children isn't bias, it's just plain fact. If it was all children in Gaza would be dead by now.

The killing of these poor kids is a grave mistake and a tragedy. I would like to hear any alternatives Israel has to airstrikes at this point though.

You calling it a fact does not make it a fact, now that is a fact for you. Do you think Israel would maintain getting support from the western world leaders if they would bomb every building they see? War is not just a battle that is fought by improvising in situations, it's something that has years of planning and tactics behind it.

Quotient

You calling it a fact does not make it a fact, now that is a fact for you. Do you think Israel would maintain getting support from the western world leaders if they would bomb every building they see? War is not just a battle that is fought by improvising in situations, it's something that has years of planning and tactics behind it.

So you are suggesting that the IDF knew it was children and thought "why not" and fired on them?

maharg

idspispopd
So you are suggesting that the IDF knew it was children and thought "why not" and fired on them?

Ok, so let's talk about this in a less "IDF IS ALL ABOUT KILLING THE CHILDREN" vs. "IDF IS WONDERFUL DEFENDERS OF FREEDOM" kind of way. It still looks bad for Israel. So they believed there was a weapon placement there. Let's take that as a given, even though presumably if there were, the press who were filming this happening would have noticed it. Let's also take as a given that Hamas is using civilians as shields. Basically, full credit to the Israeli side of the dispute.

So they shelled it, presumably hit dead on what they thought was a launcher of some sort. They saw people scrambling away. They turned their guns on the people fleeing, who they know full well might be civilians trying to get away from the shelling and not operators of the launcher. But still, they turn the guns and fire at them.

This seems completely unnecessary, even if they *weren't* kids. The civilians in Gaza are Israel's responsibility, whether they like it or not, because they are an occupying force. That they've removed themselves from securing the lives of those they occupy does not remove this responsibility.

LNBL

According to several Dutch journalists on Twitter, this picture will be on the frontpage on the NYT tomorrow. The picture was made by Tyles Hicks , Staff photographer of the NYT, he witnesse the bombing as the children ran off the beach. If it actually gets the frontpage, it's going to bring forward some shocking reactions.

BssC_U3CUAA0SBl.png

Cromat

So you think the IDF has a mission to hunt down Palestinian children despite the fact that they have nothing to gain from that, because everyone in it is a heartless monster. However they can't kill children all the time as that would be bad press, so what they do is give warnings, drop pamphlets and cancel airstrikes some of the time, and then intentionally order strikes on children other times, just to keep it interesting. This is clearly much easier to believe than it being an operational mistake.

Does it even matter?

Firing on children = evil

Firing on unidentified people = evil

So your argument to defend the IDF is, that one thing could be interpreted as "less evil" than the other? Who the fuck cares. Both scenarios are evil.

TarNaru33

Banned

Nothing is going to appease those that say yes to this question, even if Israeli government shown their side. Only thing is a 3rd party investigation, which many on both sides will either approve or deny based on what they believe and what side the investigation supports.

Can't use any pro-Israel sources because a lot of them come from Israel news and government as people claim it is not a source that can be trusted and same goes for Palestinians.

How do you all propose Israel prove that it tries to avoid civilian deaths? Because there is only 2 ways, an independent investigation and Israeli government. I guess this is why in the now present and future cops and soldiers always have to carry a cam to prove their case to others. Yet people will deny these proofs anyways if they don't agree with it lol.

Linkhero1

According to several Dutch journalists on Twitter, this picture will be on the frontpage on the NYT tomorrow. The picture was made by Tyles Hicks , Staff photographer of the NYT, he witnesse the bombing as the children ran off the beach. If it actually gets the frontpage, it's going to bring forward some shocking reactions.

BssC_U3CUAA0SBl.png

This is very heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom