• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare |OT| Zero Dank Thirty

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Thinking of getting this with some leftover credit on my account - is it worth it? Whats the MP like for a casual?
I love it. I have played more multiplayer than I did with Advanced Warfare (the last time I spent a lot of time in CoD MP). The maps and game types have all sorta grown on me. I'm only a rank 32, but I'm having a blast. I definitely put in more time in this than I did with BLOPS4. I even owned the season pass for that. I really enjoy the tactical combat. It of course has its typical Call of Duty glaze, but I think that was already expected. I've actually had more friends playing this. I actually have childhood friends who play this. I haven't played Call of Duty with someone I knew since Modern Warfare 2. I think its a good game.

Last edited:

GenericUser

Thinking of getting this with some leftover credit on my account - is it worth it? Whats the MP like for a casual?
I cannot recommend it. Game has very strict sbmm, which eventually turns every round into a sweatfest. Maps are mediocre at best as well. Played it for 80 hours or so, no desire to come back.

Geki-D

Banned
So when I search for a standard game, why doesn't it alternate between modes anymore? Now if I search for a game and it finds, say, a kill confirmed match, it'll stay on kill confirmed games till I quite out and search again. This didn't happen before, it used to alternate every match.

Is this a glitch that the devs are taking ages to fix or is this how they want it to be now?

Mista

Banned
So when I search for a standard game, why doesn't it alternate between modes anymore? Now if I search for a game and it finds, say, a kill confirmed match, it'll stay on kill confirmed games till I quite out and search again. This didn't happen before, it used to alternate every match.

Is this a glitch that the devs are taking ages to fix or is this how they want it to be now?
No. Because matchmaking is garbage thanks to them for breaking the lobbies. Also always make sure that the modes you want to play are checked in the filter

Last edited:
Well, it does...
As 80% of the players play exactly like that.

"Campers" get owned immediately as they are childishly easy to counter.
Nonsense. You must be playing a different game. From the ground up the game is designed for campers. The maps with safe spaces everywhere, the incredibly loud footsteps, you can resupply your own claymores....

If so many people are running around, why do the matches consistently time out without anyone hitting the score limit?

Last edited:

Gerdav

Nonsense. You must be playing a different game. From the ground up the game is designed for campers. The maps with safe spaces everywhere, the incredibly loud footsteps, you can resupply your own claymores....

If so many people are running around, why do the matches consistently time out without anyone hitting the score limit?

I would guess they either just got the game in the last week , or with all due respect are not very good at it so to put it politely are in a very low sbmm tier which would result in exactly the type of matches described especially with all the Xmas newbies who I’m guessing are still learning the maps.

I suppose if he / she IS new to MW, then they pretty much are playing a different game. Until the SBMM kicks in anyway.

Or maybe they don't play TDM in which case I apologise if I was harsh.

Gerdav

I suppose if he / she IS new to MW, then they pretty much are playing a different game. Until the SBMM kicks in anyway.

Or maybe they don't play TDM in which case I apologise if I was harsh.

I don’t play TDM/ Kill Conformed or FFA, at all on this game I only play objective based modes, even in those modes the game is a campers paradise the games has been built from the ground up for it, the mounting, the maps the SBMM etc etc all massively contribute to it, and if there was any doubt left in anyone’s minds the three “reimagined” maps left absolutely no room for any more.

u4ea

Well, I've almost played the game for 3 (ingame) days now so I'm not really "new" anymore I think. Started with CoD (yes, the first) and I think played most of them, but didn't played a lot of MP of the later ones (BO2 and up).

I'm not top tier in but consider myself slightly above average.

I am almost exclusively killed by players sprinting and sliding around with their pink camo skins. Not sure if this is region based or something but I don't see a lot of campers.... at all. Unless the definition of a camper is different for you and I. (e.g.: I don't count mounting a weapon if you know someone is coming or when you're defending a cap point camping.)

Also, you have 1 or 2 explosives, a tactical nade and can shoot through a lot of walls. No way in hell semi decent player will be outgunned by a camper more than one time out of the same spot. Just lob a stun/nade in there?
How can they ever rack up a killstreak unless playing against low skilled players that don't learn from their mistakes?

Last edited:
Good campers don't stay in one spot all game. When you go back to get revenge (which you should never do), they will have moved to a slightly different camping spot and kill you again. If they know what they're doing.

Geki-D

Banned
No. Because matchmaking is garbage thanks to them for breaking the lobbies. Also always make sure that the modes you want to play are checked in the filter
I got several checked. Before after each game it would alternate but now I have to quit out and restart the quick match search to change gamemode.

Good campers don't stay in one spot all game. When you go back to get revenge (which you should never do), they will have moved to a slightly different camping spot and kill you again. If they know what they're doing.

Your SBMM must be higher than mine, as all the campers I've encountered tend to stay in the same spot, so get to their first kill streak (if that) then end up getting hunted down like rats by everyone they've camped. I can't say camping has been a big issue for me at all as most seem to not move and just accept death will come for them.

Geki-D

Banned
I noticed this last night. They don’t know how to rotate
It's been like that for me since about the battle pass update. The fact it's been this way for some time, and there have been several updates since that didn't fix it makes me think this must be on purpose. Which is just dumb because if I wanted to play a single mode over & over I'd just have one mode ticked. The fact I have several means I want to play several, so it made sense it would switch every match like before.

Mista

Banned
It's been like that for me since about the battle pass update. The fact it's been this way for some time, and there have been several updates since that didn't fix it makes me think this must be on purpose. Which is just dumb because if I wanted to play a single mode over & over I'd just have one mode ticked. The fact I have several means I want to play several, so it made sense it would switch every match like before.
Too smart for them. Only idiots puts SBMM in casual playlist too

Ruben43cb

I cannot recommend it. Game has very strict sbmm, which eventually turns every round into a sweatfest. Maps are mediocre at best as well. Played it for 80 hours or so, no desire to come back.
You don't like a game you played for 80 hours.... I've never even played a game for 80hours. I would say you like it quite a bit if you spent 2 regular working weeks playing a game!

waylo

Banned
So, does SBMM just equate to "Hey, you won two games in a row, so your next game is going to be a 6v3 and it will never back fill"? Because that sure as fuck has been my experience.

Mista

Banned
So, does SBMM just equate to "Hey, you won two games in a row, so your next game is going to be a 6v3 and it will never back fill"? Because that sure as fuck has been my experience.
Actually it’s “Hey! You’ve been doing good at winning. Let us put you in a lobby full if tryhards in A FUCKING CASUAL PLAYLIST”

Geki-D

Banned
It would actually be interesting to know if the matchmaking does raise your chances of joining unbalanced games if you've been doing well because it considers your apparent skill will make up for the lack of players.

It would actually be interesting to know if the matchmaking does raise your chances of joining unbalanced games if you've been doing well because it considers your apparent skill will make up for the lack of players.
I'm pretty sure it does. SBMM has been in this series (albeit never as thick as it is in MW) since Black Ops 2, I think. I watch a few youtube CoD channels and good players have been moaning about being put into lobbies and being forced to carry noobs for years.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Actually it’s “Hey! You’ve been doing good at winning. Let us put you in a lobby full if tryhards in A FUCKING CASUAL PLAYLIST”
This entire game is a casual playlist though. And if you've won a few games, you should have your metal tested against better players. How do you get better if you continuously beat up on bots?

Mista

Banned
This entire game is a casual playlist though. And if you've won a few games, you should have your metal tested against better players. How do you get better if you continuously beat up on bots?
There’s call of duty league previously which is ranked where SBMM belongs. Every cod is was casual with no SBMM and now suddenly it matters? Yeah ok. If I wanna test myself I’ll go play ranked like every competitive game

How do you get better if you have your 'mettle tested' by getting put in with better players, only to get put back in with worse players after you don't do as well?

Last edited:

GenericUser

You don't like a game you played for 80 hours.... I've never even played a game for 80hours. I would say you like it quite a bit if you spent 2 regular working weeks playing a game!
I really wanted the OG M4. turns out, it wasn't worth it. The last 3 levels or so, I grinded kills in a tank on groundwar. I don't miss that.

Kagey K

Banned
I really wanted the OG M4. turns out, it wasn't worth it. The last 3 levels or so, I grinded kills in a tank on groundwar. I don't miss that.
That’s your choice, nobody else did that. Don’t play modes you don’t like just to grind levels.

And if you chose to level up that way, don’t complain about it, while playing game modes you don’t like.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
No. I enjoy running round maniacally and trading kills then respawning instantly

Then this shit show will be perfect for you.

Higher sbmm = everyone's chicken headless Rambo idiots who sprints forever and does pakour and shit.

Low sbmm = big majority of people camping, trying to play the game more tactical.

Personally I had most fun in the beta. It felt like a mix between rainbow six Siege tactic and cod. Now it's just your yearly cod shit show.

Gerdav

How do you get better if you have your 'mettle tested' by getting put in with better players, only to get put back in with worse players after you don't do as well?

Exactly that’s hitting the nail on the head, you don’t improve because the sbmm seems to be consistently fucking your tier around every 4 or so games.

Then this shit show will be perfect for you.

Higher sbmm = everyone's chicken headless Rambo idiots who sprints forever and does pakour and shit.

Low sbmm = big majority of people camping, trying to play the game more tactical.

Personally I had most fun in the beta. It felt like a mix between rainbow six Siege tactic and cod. Now it's just your yearly cod shit show.

I don’t know what COD you are playing because parkour and shit? In the real world the lower the SBMM the more they are running around having fun playing the objective not giving the first shits about their K/D, the higher you go it’s more the complete opposite with try hards, this is then along with some of the map designs contributing to slow tempo campfests.

Unless someone is a complete wanker nobody wants to play against a room of exclusively shit players stomping all over them, but what previous COD games had and most multyplayer games have in casual playlists is a balance of every play type and style, that contributes to “opening the game up” if that’s really the correct term but I’m sure most people will get what I’m trying to say in terms of the difference of playing casual and competitive.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I have such a love hate relationship with this game.
It's the SBMM and breaking up the rooms after every game that are ruining it for me.

The_Mike

Exactly that’s hitting the nail on the head, you don’t improve because the sbmm seems to be consistently fucking your tier around every 4 or so games.

I don’t know what COD you are playing because parkour and shit? In the real world the lower the SBMM the more they are running around having fun playing the objective not giving the first shits about their K/D, the higher you go it’s more the complete opposite with try hards, this is then along with some of the map designs contributing to slow tempo campfests.

Unless someone is a complete wanker nobody wants to play against a room of exclusively shit players stomping all over them, but what previous COD games had and most multyplayer games have in casual playlists is a balance of every play type and style, that contributes to “opening the game up” if that’s really the correct term but I’m sure most people will get what I’m trying to say in terms of the difference of playing casual and competitive.

COD is not real world though. I know what you are referring to, but that doesn't make your post sound less dumb.

Are you playing on console with cross play off? Cus that might be why. On pc when you have a high sbmm everyone runs around like idiots and nukes everyone, even people camping.

Gerdav

COD is not real world though. I know what you are referring to, but that doesn't make your post sound less dumb.

Are you playing on console with cross play off? Cus that might be why. On pc when you have a high sbmm everyone runs around like idiots and nukes everyone, even people camping.

No I am playing on both Xbox and PS4 with cross play enabled on both, the only one sounding dumb is you as you must be playing this game in a alternate reality if your playing it with everyone parkouring and running around while playing on a high sbmm tier.

GreatnessRD

There’s call of duty league previously which is ranked where SBMM belongs. Every cod is was casual with no SBMM and now suddenly it matters? Yeah ok. If I wanna test myself I’ll go play ranked like every competitive game
I guess. We'll agree to disagree.

You analyze and see where you went wrong. It shows you weren't ready for the jump in skill so at least it bumps you back down. Between both quotes it still sounds to me like neither wants a challenge and only want to fight those who are worst than them. Then get sour because the game puts you on a "level" playing field with those in your similar skill set then you get dusted. But like I said, we'll agree to disagree.

Mista

Banned

Are you sure on PC everyone is running around and “parkouring”? Because my cross-play is on and I have 2.1 KD and still see campers everywhere. I’m also sure that I’m placed higher than you in this SBMM fuckery. Won’t lie, there’re games that’s full of run n gun and only 2-3 camping. And there’s games where everyone is camping. This is the first COD ever where the time limit finishes before anyone reaching the score limit. If anyone thinks this is normal, think again because that’s definitely not normal.

I guess. We'll agree to disagree.

You analyze and see where you went wrong. It shows you weren't ready for the jump in skill so at least it bumps you back down. Between both quotes it still sounds to me like neither wants a challenge and only want to fight those who are worst than them. Then get sour because the game puts you on a "level" playing field with those in your similar skill set then you get dusted. But like I said, we'll agree to disagree.
You have absolutely no control over the SBMM so you have no idea what to analyse. And every lobby is broken up after each game because of the SBMM. But we don't know if it adjusts after every match, every 4 matches, every 8, etc. So again, how can you tell how you're playing? You can't, because it's out of your control.

It's fucking moronic and has no place in casual game modes. Connection only, and you take what you get. Crap players, mediocre players, or super try hards. Like it used to be.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Are you sure on PC everyone is running around and “parkouring”? Because my cross-play is on and I have 2.1 KD and still see campers everywhere. I’m also sure that I’m placed higher than you in this SBMM fuckery. Won’t lie, there’re games that’s full of run n gun and only 2-3 camping. And there’s games where everyone is camping. This is the first COD ever where the time limit finishes before anyone reaching the score limit. If anyone thinks this is normal, think again because that’s definitely not normal.

Different game experiences aside. You've probably never met me in cod and I'd never met you. Sbmm is not visible. How Arrogant do you have to be to say, and be sure, that your hidden rating is better than others.

On my games, I rarely meet campers. Most of the time it's heavy rushers. I mainly play domination, and I rarely see campers, or a full team of campers.

In my dom games people are sprinting, running and gunning and sliding across the floor while shooting.

Mista

Banned
Different game experiences aside. You've probably never met me in cod and I'd never met you. Sbmm is not visible. How Arrogant do you have to be to say, and be sure, that your hidden rating is better than others.

On my games, I rarely meet campers. Most of the time it's heavy rushers. I mainly play domination, and I rarely see campers, or a full team of campers.

In my dom games people are sprinting, running and gunning and sliding across the floor while shooting.
I’m not being arrogant mate, I was just saying it as an exaggeration of the sweatfest lobbies I’m always in. Apologies if it came out wrong

Yes in domination I agree especially on higher levels. I started filtering my playlist since I only play objective modes. A mode with no goal is simply waste a time for me

GreatnessRD

You have absolutely no control over the SBMM so you have no idea what to analyse. And every lobby is broken up after each game because of the SBMM. But we don't know if it adjusts after every match, every 4 matches, every 8, etc. So again, how can you tell how you're playing? You can't, because it's out of your control.

It's fucking moronic and has no place in casual game modes. Connection only, and you take what you get. Crap players, mediocre players, or super try hards. Like it used to be.
You can look at how you did the previous match since you played in that specific match. Most people can tell when they're over-matched which is why this convo of SBMM is taking place. Now I can agree with the bold part in red. Should have awesome connection matches against whomever. My point again was just it sounded like certain players wanted to continuously beat up on lower level players and the SBMM intimidated them because they no longer could do it. Now if that's not what they were getting at, my fault read wrong. And again, I think the entire game of COD is casual. Even their "ranked" mode. I'd love for them to bring back lobbies, lobby leaderboards and the ability for me to see what my K/D ratio is in a TDM match. Because as we can see, people will camp and hide regardless whether they're doing good or not without seeing the board. Just another tactic to coddle the babies.

You can look at how you did the previous match since you played in that specific match. Most people can tell when they're over-matched which is why this convo of SBMM is taking place. Now I can agree with the bold part in red. Should have awesome connection matches against whomever. My point again was just it sounded like certain players wanted to continuously beat up on lower level players and the SBMM intimidated them because they no longer could do it. Now if that's not what they were getting at, my fault read wrong. And again, I think the entire game of COD is casual. Even their "ranked" mode. I'd love for them to bring back lobbies, lobby leaderboards and the ability for me to see what my K/D ratio is in a TDM match. Because as we can see, people will camp and hide regardless whether they're doing good or not without seeing the board. Just another tactic to coddle the babies.
If I wanted to play against crap players I would reverse boost, or use one of the other workarounds to circumvent the SBMM. Another failing of the system. But I don't.

I just went back to CoD WW2, instead, which is a much better game, in my opinion. The huge overhaul worked wonders, even if there are still a few iffy maps. I can't recommend it enough.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I’m not being arrogant mate, I was just saying it as an exaggeration of the sweatfest lobbies I’m always in. Apologies if it came out wrong

Yes in domination I agree especially on higher levels. I started filtering my playlist since I only play objective modes. A mode with no goal is simply waste a time for me

No worries, maybe I was just a little too fast on the keyboard. But maybe that's why. I mainly play dom as I prefer objective games,whereas I'm not a big fan of the weird spawns in tdm.

Top Bottom