• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Poligaf - The Wrath of Harperland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
This Wildrose stuff is some of the most depressing political news I've ever read. How is it possible for a (basically) Tea Party party to get this popular in a Canadian province?
I don't know much about Wild Rose but isn't that pretty much what the Reform Party was? Is this really that different?

Bigfoot

I don't know much about Wild Rose but isn't that pretty much what the Reform Party was? Is this really that different?

No, not really that different. The big difference is that the Wild Rose has a leader that is good on TV and she usually says the right things, even if what she says is not really what her party stands for.

It's pretty crazy that the rest of Canada already thinks of Alberta as a bunch of "George Bush loving Republican" types, and now Alberta is about to vote in a party that is even more conservative than the current party!

hsin

Banned
How accurate are the reports now? Is Wildrose pretty much a shoe-in? Do I need to start looking for a place in BC or Ontario?

Oppo

It's pretty crazy that the rest of Canada already thinks of Alberta as a bunch of "George Bush loving Republican" types, and now Alberta is about to vote in a party that is even more conservative than the current party!

Yes. Crazy. That's the right word.

Bruiserk

Does CBC's webpage load incredibly slow for anyone else? Trying to visit the weather section right now and it doesn't want to load. The site is very hit or miss in general for me.

gabbo

How accurate are the reports now? Is Wildrose pretty much a shoe-in? Do I need to start looking for a place in BC or Ontario?

Wait, they managed to rebound from the "gays burn in hell", "whites have an advantage" comments late last week that seem to tank their momentum?
Edit: And the NDP isn't going to force an election in Ontario after a surtax implementation. Sounds good to me.

Today's News

Budget cuts leave Statscan girding for fewer surveys, less staff

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-for-fewer-surveys-less-staff/article2410623/

These cuts will likely affect the agency’s ability to introduce new surveys and update existing surveys to reflect current population trends. Statscan now produces about 350 surveys on topics ranging from crime rates and mental health to the country’s gross domestic product.

Opposition heaps scorn on Bev Oda’s ‘five-star-plus’ spending habits

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ive-star-plus-spending-habits/article2411198/

The International Co-operation Minister, who has previously run into trouble as a result of her champagne tastes, was supposed to stay at the Grange St. Paul's Hotel where she was attending a conference on the immunization of children in poor countries. But she switched to the Savoy – a hotel favoured by royalty that cost more than twice as much as the Grange.

Spy chief welcomes terrorism investigation legislation

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/04/23/pol-csis-fadden-terrorism-committee.html

Richard Fadden, who runs Canada's spy service CSIS, told senators on a special anti-terrorism committee that bill S-7 would provide more tools to law enforcement

maharg

idspispopd
Wait, they managed to rebound from the "gays burn in hell", "whites have an advantage" comments late last week that seem to tank their momentum?

They stayed pretty stable around 40-41, but the PCs surged a bit. The very last poll, done last night by Forum, shows a 2 point gap between PC and WR (36, 38 respectively), though. So there could have been a last minute swing back towards the PCs.

Pretty much expecting the Liberals to get decimated. I think it'll be a minority government too, but there'll probably be a mass of defections if that happens.

hsin

Banned
They stayed pretty stable around 40-41, but the PCs surged a bit. The very last poll, done last night by Forum, shows a 2 point gap between PC and WR (36, 38 respectively), though. So there could have been a last minute swing back towards the PCs.

Pretty much expecting the Liberals to get decimated. I think it'll be a minority government too, but there'll probably be a mass of defections if that happens.

Are the current poll numbers with Edmonton and Calgary included?

maharg

idspispopd
Are the current poll numbers with Edmonton and Calgary included?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_general_election,_2012#Opinion_polls
http://www.forumresearch.com/forms/...a_Issues_Poll_(Forum_Research)_(20120422).pdf

800px-ABelection_poll_2012.jpg

Note that that final swing was two polls done by the same company, released in the same day (one done the day before).

squidyj

Today's News

Budget cuts leave Statscan girding for fewer surveys, less staff

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-for-fewer-surveys-less-staff/article2410623/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ive-star-plus-spending-habits/article2411198/

Spy chief welcomes terrorism investigation legislation

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/04/23/pol-csis-fadden-terrorism-committee.html

Aww yeah, keep killing knowledge Conservatives, the less we know the better amirite?

God, that's the most futile NDP vote I've ever cast.

You and me both!

Vamphuntr

Wow. This is coming from a goverment that keeps saying we need to cut everywhere to improve our country's finances. It's sad that she rejected a five star hotel at 300$/night to rent a room at more expensive one at 600$/night. Hoping the 16$ glass of orange juice was worth it.

In other news, Ethic Commissioner Mary Dawson will start another investigation (the third one!) on Minister of Industry Christian Paradis. I think it's time Harper demoted him.

Kifimbo

Hope Wildrose wins. The same party for 40 years isn't healhty. And I'm not worried about 2-3 nutjobs, Smith isn't a religious freak and/or a gay hater and the few crazies will never have an impact.

maharg

idspispopd
Hope Wildrose wins. The same party for 40 years isn't healhty. And I'm not worried about 2-3 nutjobs, Smith isn't a religious freak and/or a gay hater and the few crazies will never have an impact.

That'd be great if she wasn't also planning to abolish party discipline. What's Danielle Smith going to do about one of those nutjobs' private members bills?

I'm no fan of party discipline, but acting like the WR isn't basically fertile ground for lots of populist craziness to get into actual legislation is just silly. Danielle Smith doesn't seem so bad, but the whole rest of her party is quite different from her as far as I can tell.

Kifimbo

That'd be great if she wasn't also planning to abolish party discipline. What's Danielle Smith going to do about one of those nutjobs' private members bills?

I'm no fan of party discipline, but acting like the WR isn't basically fertile ground for lots of populist craziness to get into actual legislation is just silly. Danielle Smith doesn't seem so bad, but the whole rest of her party is quite different from her as far as I can tell.

From what I read, she'll give them freedom of speech and let them vote like they want (doesn't mean sho won't try to convince them). Which is good since you can spot the crazies. But I don't think she'll let them draft/present legislations.

From what I read, she'll give them freedom of speech and let them vote like they want (doesn't mean sho won't try to convince them). Which is good since you can spot the crazies. But I don't think she'll let them draft/present legislations.

If you release your MPPs from towing the party line in votes and speech you cannot stop them from drafting and presenting bills as backbenchers.

Can't have it both ways; either there's party discipline, or there isn't.

SickBoy

Big decision tonight in Alberta, because if the Tories are defeated, the electorate is bound by tradition to keep the new party in office for at least a couple of decades.

(EDIT: MLAs in Alberta, BTW, not MPPs ;) )

maharg

idspispopd

All members of a legislative body are entitled to introduce legislation. It's called a private member's bill, and it has some disadvantages compared to a government bill, but it is sometimes used as a backdoor to raise trial balloons about controversial subjects. Without party discipline there's no way for Danielle Smith to do a damn thing if most of her caucus wants to vote for one.

hsin

Banned
At the polls now. Seems like it'll be a WR victory judging from the news but still hoping things can still turn around. :/

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
At this point, the crazier Canada gets, the better. People here need to see Canada for what it really has become.

squidyj

I hope they don't win, their policies for criminal justice are abysmal. The rebate concept is idiotic and there are a host of other problems with their platform.

I wonder if a PC vote would be a better move against a WR victory...

Probably would have been but I'm not much for voting strategically. I'd have nightmares marking down PC

Vamphuntr

At what point in that slippery slope will we be able to stop, though?

I was just wondering the same thing. Harper still has 4 years to do what he wants to with his majority. It sure help his case when provincial prime ministers share his view or can be considered as his "friend".

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
At what point in that slippery slope will we be able to stop, though?

Quebec didn't vote for Harper and Co. Gonna have to ask the rest of Canada, we did our part and got nothing in return for it.

So much for David Suzuki schooling us for voting for Harper in 2008 (which was bullshit, people voted majoritarily for the Bloc). Is he going to come over and tell us we're the smart ones in the room this time? Nah of course not.

Vamphuntr

Quebec didn't vote for Harper and Co. Gonna have to ask the rest of Canada, we did our part and got nothing in return for it.

So much for David Suzuki schooling us for voting for Harper in 2008 (which was bullshit, people voted majoritarily for the Bloc). Is he going to come over and tell us we're the smart ones in the room this time? Nah of course not.

In somewhat similar type of news, you should definitely read this about Ignatieff and Quebec's independance.

In an interview with the BBC Ignatieff said he believes that the powers Canada gave us (education, healthcare, immigration) will eventually lead to our independance. Harper tried to damage control it quickly :lol

In Alberta news:

CTV AB has:

PC leading/elected in 50
WR leading/elected in 21
LIB l/e in 2
NDP l/e in 2

75/87 ridings reporting

Still with only few polling stations reporting. Going to be another hour.

*UPDATE* 10:54PM EDT

Leading or elected: PC58/WR21/NDP4/LIB3 84/87 reporting.

*UPDATE* 10:58PM EDT

Leading or elected 60/20/4/3; all ridings reporting.

CTV AB has declared PC government. I'm going to bed.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
In somewhat similar type of news, you should definitely read this about Ignatieff and Quebec's independance.

In an interview with the BBC Ignatieff said he believes that the powers Canada gave us (education, healthcare, immigration) will eventually lead to our independance. Harper tried to damage control it quickly :lol

It's not the transfer of powers that would lead to independence, it's the type of government Canada has: the F-35 purchases, the abolition of the gun registry, the attitude towards the environment, etc. Of course in such a scenario, with the powers having been transferred already, it wouldn't take much to separate, compared to if all powers had remained in the federal government's hands, but then if the later was the case we would have already split precisely because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom