• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carcassonne iPhone/iTouch

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yep totally agree. Ah well.

Other than that though, it is safe to say this is by far far far my favorite video game right now. Don't even need to play ranked anymore, just have a bunch of GAF games going at all times.

Karud

czartim said:
Needing to give an email to add someone is the worst part of this game.

/this x1000

I sent them a message via Twitter about that. Unfortunatly it's non of their primary targets to fix.

@ AstroLad

Is it really a "videogame"? I consider it an excellent tabletop port.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It would be cool if you could either add by username (obvious) or at least have the option to add people you are in games with. notmyproblem.gif though at least since I think I have everyone from GAF on my list. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have I think 8-10 games going right now. Maybe 1-3 get completed each day? Like I said above no more ranked though, think I got to 1350 or something before stopping that. Much prefer the leisurely pace and casual atmosphere of the GAF games.

Karud

Aren't there two ELO stats? One for quick games and one for friendly encounters? How can I disable the ranking in friendly matches?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh that's weird, I was looking through my games to see folks to invite to a new one and noticed one that hadn't had a turn since yesterday, pop in and it's my turn, and yet there wasn't a notification outside of it of any sort. Hm. So I guess if you have a game that's been stalled a while, check to see it's not your turn! Never had that happen before. Didn't even have a Next Table option to get to that table.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ok i think i'm in like 15 gaf games now :lol

game just keeps picking up steam...here's hoping we get the xpacs in the next few months.

Karud

I suck when more than three players are involved. My tactics just don't fit those games. ^^

@ LugNut74

PM for you!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
When you get into 4-5p games there is a pretty heavy reliance on luck considering how many fewer pieces you get and how you can't possibly anticipate or counter what four other people are going to do. There's also a diplomacy element in that you don't want to let anyone run away with a huge city or anything but you don't want to fight wars with others on four different fronts. Part of what makes those games fun though!

Karud

AstroLad said:
When you get into 4-5p games there is a pretty heavy reliance on luck considering how many fewer pieces you get and how you can't possibly anticipate or counter what four other people are going to do.

Yeah, that's why I love the expensions so much. More possibilities to screw someone up. :lol
With towers, dragon, engineer and more stuff like that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have those but haven't even played them yet. Just Traders & Builders and Inns & Cathedrals, both of which add some awesome options, like it being a viable move to close someone else's city, and then of course the battles over those inned roads and cathedraled cities get quite intense.

Karud

You should try them with more than two players. They made the whole game much better! Inns and cathedrals are fun, but they don't really change the way to play carcassonne like the others. Static <<< Dynamic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've heard that the others are lesser regarded and right now we really have our hands full with those two expansions worked in (we usually play with 3). One of the nice things about Carc is how quick it plays, don't want to start shading too much into Agricola length :lol.

DukeSucks

How many more pieces do the expansions add? I'd like to be able to build more stuff, especially in the 5p games. You guys are really good at taking turns fairly quickly, so I don't think it'd take too much longer.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DukeSucks said:
How many more pieces do the expansions add? I'd like to be able to build more stuff, especially in the 5p games. You guys are really good at taking turns fairly quickly, so I don't think it'd take too much longer.
The big ones add about 15-20. I agree on the iPhone version it wouldn't really hamper anything (other than perhaps ranked matches) given the PBEM nature.

Just to give you a sense of how they really flesh out the base game though, here is a description of Traders & Builders:
Where Inns and Cathedrals really only fills in the gaps, Traders and Builders (or Händler und Baumeister) alters the feel of the game more. In this expansion, you are encouraged to complete your opponents' cities (and your own) by the presence of goods chits. The person who collects the most chits of each type gets awarded extra points. In addition, you also get Builder Meeples, Pig Meeples and a nice drawstring bag. The Builder Meeple gives you an extra turn when you expand the feature he is occupying and the pig meeple gives Farmers an extra point per city at the end of the game. There seem to be mixed opinions as to which of the first two expansions is better. I think this one adds slightly more, especially if, like us you are unlikely to play with six players.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm just glad people take their turns on Carc way more often than WWF. On WWF people often seem to take 1-3 days for a single turn. Could you imagine that in a 4p Carc game? :lol Guess it's just not as irresistible or good as Carc. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah it doesn't really bother me if people take their time at all, didn't mean to imply that. Up until a few weeks ago I wasn't even able to use my iTouch at work so.

Grifter

any thoughts on the implementation compared to the 360 version? i downloaded that and never learned it, so i'll sit down with the 360 version tonight.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Much better.

-360 has more bells and whistles in terms of little graphical effects whereas the iPhone version is straight up (very nice, high-res) pieces from the board game being played on a table. I actually prefer the more understated iPhone approach.

-Just easier to move pieces around on the iPhone.

-Only quickplay/ranked option in iPhone is 2p. I don't play with randoms anymore but dsfdf.

-Far more people playing the iPhone version as you can see from this thread.

-The asynchronous multiplayer is absolutely HUGE for this game. Push notifications such that you can even see games and play turns while offline.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pic of czartim's GIANT point-filled city in our game. He had three guys in there and I had one. Thought there was no way he'd finish it so I paid it little mind until he got to be two pieces away then I was like rut roh. Wish you could do a FF gif of how it was put together.

vpvyc3.jpg

Grifter

AstroLad said:
Much better.

-360 has more bells and whistles in terms of little graphical effects whereas the iPhone version is straight up (very nice, high-res) pieces from the board game being played on a table. I actually prefer the more understated iPhone approach.

-Just easier to move pieces around on the iPhone.

-Only quickplay/ranked option in iPhone is 2p. I don't play with randoms anymore but dsfdf.

-Far more people playing the iPhone version as you can see from this thread.

-The asynchronous multiplayer is absolutely HUGE for this game. Push notifications such that you can even see games and play turns while offline.
Just learned the game on 360 and bought instantly on iPhone. I'm enjoying the iPhone interface and art better. The 360 zoom perspectives are either too close or too far away from my limited play.

Gonna PM you for some games!

CzarTim

AstroLad said:
Pic of czartim's GIANT point-filled city in our game. He had three guys in there and I had one. Thought there was no way he'd finish it so I paid it little mind until he got to be two pieces away then I was like rut roh. Wish you could do a FF gif of how it was put together.

You still won though, probably because three of my guys were stuck on it the whole fucking game. :lol :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
They were trapped in what they thought was a prison.

But against all odds they turned their prison . . . into a palace.

*sentimental music*

Someone should make a movie.

Grifter

I'm adoring these turn based games that I can instantly access from work, but outside of the firewall. :lol

My nick is risottoball. Please PM me if you'd like semi-frequent activity between 10-7 EST.

Been out of te game for too long. I sent a couple invites to people who pmd me their addresses so long ago (sorry). If anybody would like to add me I'm game just pm me for my address.

Karud

AstroLad said:

czartim's castle.jpg

Don't mention his luck! Argh!

We had a fight for a similar huge castle and after an amount of five henchmen invested on both sides I got the power back. There were three fitting pieces left for me to finish it, but I messed it totally up so he was able block the whole frick'n castle!!

:lol

Entertaining game though...

Hi Carc-guys,

bOoM here. It seems that the badge thingie for Carcassonne doesn't work properly. Anyone else experiencing this? I didn't know it was my turn in 4 or 5 games because there was no badge on the app in the iPhone's homescreen... Then when it is NOT my turn there is a badge.

Am I just interpreting this wrong or what's the dealio?!

LOVE Carcassonne though, I think this may turn out to be one of my best iPhone games (and I bought a lot of 'em), the multiplayer aspect in combo with notifications when it's your turn is AWESOME <3.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FoxhoundNL said:
Hi Carc-guys,

bOoM here. It seems that the badge thingie for Carcassonne doesn't work properly. Anyone else experiencing this? I didn't know it was my turn in 4 or 5 games because there was no badge on the app in the iPhone's homescreen... Then when it is NOT my turn there is a badge.

Am I just interpreting this wrong or what's the dealio?!
That's happened to me once as well. Basically I had a game where there hadn't been a turn in a while -- go in, and it's my turn. Seems to be a glitch of some sort. Still is right 95% of the time for me but just to be safe I would suggest occasionally checking even your games where it indicates there's no new moves, especially if they've been quiet for a while.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, brown badge = someone else has played. Green badge = your turn. (Minus the occasional bug referenced above.)

Another bug that was mentioned ITT was that sometimes it will show up as your turn (and it will be) but you won't be able to actually see or do anything with your piece. /unstuck fixes this.

I think one of my favourite things is not loading this on my pad for a few days after just playing off my phone then loading an old game and seeing all the tiles place themselves :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If there were more Carc-type games it would honestly make me consider getting an iPad almost just for them.

Small World doesn't count -- shitty implementation! (See my rant in the iPhone gaming thread.)

Karud

AstroLad said:
If there were more Carc-type games it would honestly make me consider getting an iPad almost just for them.

I prefere playing on the iPad. Even with the iPhone version resized it looks pretty good.
Hopefully they will release the iPad Edition soon. :)

All I'm saying with my tile disposing issue is that I see "tiles get thrown away" while waiting for my turn. I thought others were disposing them--but now I understand that it's the computer automagically doing it since those tiles won't fit on the board.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SnakeswithLasers said:
All I'm saying with my tile disposing issue is that I see "tiles get thrown away" while waiting for my turn. I thought others were disposing them--but now I understand that it's the computer automagically doing it since those tiles won't fit on the board.
Yah I posted my response in-game but really it's just tiles being placed "off-camera" that have that look. Not having any place to play a tile is very rare. Like I said in-game, if you want to see where people last placed their tiles, each last-placed tile has an outline corresponding to the placer's color.

AstroLad said:
Yah I posted my response in-game but really it's just tiles being placed "off-camera" that have that look. Not having any place to play a tile is very rare. Like I said in-game, if you want to see where people last placed their tiles, each last-placed tile has an outline corresponding to the placer's color.
That makes sense.
I still don't really understand this game too much, as I just kind of throw down tiles when it's my turn, but for some reason it's compelling. I thought you could dispose of a tile and that I just couldn't figure it out. Glad to see you can't.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That makes sense.
I still don't really understand this game too much, as I just kind of throw down tiles when it's my turn, but for some reason it's compelling. I thought you could dispose of a tile and that I just couldn't figure it out. Glad to see you can't.
Yeah it's addictive because it's pretty straightforward. One of those minute-to-learn-lifetime-to-master-type things. Only thing people get hung up on is fields, but after a few plays even those are pretty clear. I do recommend Tutorial + Rules because the tutorial is good but a tad incomplete on some points.

Karud

Grifter said:
The in-game instructions do mention that those tiles would get discarded automatically.

Happened to me only once on the iPhone. And only twice playig the original. It's really rare.

Top Bottom