• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carcassonne iPhone/iTouch

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yep when I was around 1500 I'd get like 5 points for winning a 5p-game with people around 1200. Lose 30-40 for losing a 2p game to someone in the 1250 range. It's cool though; I'm glad they have it so that there's some continuity but I don't worry about it at all.

Grifter

Sorry about those invites I just sent and deleted. I was playing with the interface and found that if I back out of creating a game, it stays in my pending games list.

I hope I'm not the one guilty of playing like a jerk. I actually try not to be a dick move dude all the time, but I know that I sometimes murder cities.
I've accidentally completed a few too due to misplacement.

DukeSucks

Grifter said:
I swear, people are trolling more than anything lately. Just had a game where joey was in last place and completed another guy's huge city just to narrowly cost me the game, and there's this other dude who goes for steals/annoyance more than trying to win.

Maybe it's the second level of learning the game.

if it was me, it was most likely accidental. My strategy hasn't gotten that advanced yet :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's a risk, for sure. That's where the diplomacy aspect comes in and makes 4-5p games really fun even if they are generally more luck-dependent. Block someone off and they might be inclined to get you back; you have to balance risk and reward. Sometimes it's the opposite where everyone is just doing their own thing and I'll feel obliged to at least slightly obstruct some 20-pt city that's about to be completed. But there are definitely 2-3 people who are way more aggressive than me about that stuff.

One tile placement can say a thousand words. :lol

AirBrian

AstroLad said:
It's a risk, for sure. That's where the diplomacy aspect comes in and makes 4-5p games really fun even if they are generally more luck-dependent. Block someone off and they might be inclined to get you back; you have to balance risk and reward. Sometimes it's the opposite where everyone is just doing their own thing and I'll feel obliged to at least slightly obstruct some 20-pt city that's about to be completed. But there are definitely 2-3 people who are way more aggressive than me about that stuff.

One tile placement can say a thousand words. :lol

Just finished a game like this with Karud. For the most part we were doing our own thing and then I noticed a ridiculously long road he's got going. I had to do something about that. :lol Ended up sharing it for 15 points.

GG, Karud!

Grifter

:lol You guys have been a pleasure. Not even sure if the one guy I was thinking of is on GAF, but you really have to try to be a jerk constantly for me to notice cuz I like to mostly do my thing. I welcome the jerk's games because it's making me a better (though far jerkier) player.

It's like when 360 Catan hardened me and I'd demand 2-3 cards per trade request in friendly live games afterward. That single-handedly painted me as an asshole to the spouses in attendance.

Karud

AirBrian said:
Just finished a game like this with Karud. For the most part we were doing our own thing and then I noticed a ridiculously long road he's got going. I had to do something about that. :lol Ended up sharing it for 15 points.

GG, Karud!

Once you tried to take part I hoped for a junction to complete my road. :lol If I need one particular tile the game is used to screw me around.

gg, it was pretty close though.

@ Grifter

Joey completed my megacity this afternoon but I don't know why. Maybe he didn't notice my second henchman and wanted to go for shared points.

Man, I just did that fuck up and completed someone else's city. Didn't realize they had 2 mans already living there. Can't believe I just donated 20 points to the enemy.

I also tried to set up a 5 player game. I think 4 is the sweetspot, but I wanted to try another 5.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
One of the longest single-man roads I've had:

9fwqcg.jpg

Think I got about 20 road pieces that game because I didn't even use them all on that damn road. Desperately needs an inn.

Jonnyram

Man, I've played like such a mean bastard in the last couple of games, trying to steal cities when they went over 2 or 3 squares. It doesn't seem to really improve your chances of winning though, as there is still a ton of luck involved anyway. Maybe I should try and deal out more niceness - it depends who I'm playing with really. Nastiness is cool against RL mates :)

I'm soooo getting an iPad for this game. Ok, maybe not solely for Carcassonne, but it's definitely a BIG reason for me. I really, really, really like the iPhone version, but a bigger screen in combo with hot-seat mulyiplayer, that's just pure sex right there.

Not sure on when to get the iPad though, can't really afford such a big purchase right now (student), but if i do have the money in 2-3 months... I'm afraid I'm going to regret it when the iPad Deux hits sometime spring '11 probably.

The Carcassonne iPad update could draw me in I think...

Edit: Anyone ever played the hot-seat multiplayer option on the iPhone btw? How do your friends/family like it?!

Karud

FoxhoundNL said:
Edit: Anyone ever played the hot-seat multiplayer option on the iPhone btw? How do your friends/family like it?!

Mhhh? Never heard about it, where can I select this mode? Only via BT?

Karud said:
Once you tried to take part I hoped for a junction to complete my road. :lol If I need one particular tile the game is used to screw me around.

gg, it was pretty close though.

@ Grifter

Joey completed my megacity this afternoon but I don't know why. Maybe he didn't notice my second henchman and wanted to go for shared points.
I totally missed that second guy. The whole time I thought I was slick and would split the points. :lol

Karud said:
Mhhh? Never heard about it, where can I select this mode? Only via BT?
Normal game > Local > New game > Add a player > Add player.

Haven't had a chance to try it myself yet, but when I do I will
CRUSH MY ENEMIES

DukeSucks

AstroLad said:
One of the longest single-man roads I've had:

9fwqcg.jpg

Think I got about 20 road pieces that game because I didn't even use them all on that damn road. Desperately needs an inn.
Just tied your record with about 10 pieces still to play. I think my last 7 or 8 tiles have all singe roads.

AirBrian

DukeSucks said:
Just tied your record with about 10 pieces still to play. I think my last 7 or 8 tiles have all singe roads.
Good grief you got so many road pieces! I only saw it about 5 pieces ago too. :lol

DukeSucks

AirBrian said:
Good grief you got so many road pieces! I only saw it about 5 pieces ago too. :lol
I shouldn't have said anything, you road thief!! :lol :lol Maybe I can end it before we connect

AirBrian

DukeSucks said:
I shouldn't have said anything, you road thief!! :lol :lol Maybe I can end it before we connect
:lol FWIW, I did see it before your post!

And damn, Karud, did I see +21 points for your land? You almost cameback! :lol

gg, guys.

swoon

AstroLad said:
:lol that's definitely not a record you want to break

(not until we get inns!)

they should slip in the rivers I & II and cathars before doing the big expansion packs. inn and cathedrals (maybe the tower) is the only big expansion i actually like.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
swoon said:
they should slip in the rivers I & II and cathars before doing the big expansion packs. inn and cathedrals (maybe the tower) is the only big expansion i actually like.
Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders for life. Love how traders and builders gives you reason to complete others' buildings rather than fucking them up. I also like how the trader gives you extra turns but you have to be really careful about where you use him.

I haven't gotten any updates in my games today. Anybody waiting on me in a game? I'm wondering if they're all going slow (which is totally fine!) or if I'm broken or something.

Karud

AirBrian said:
And damn, Karud, did I see +21 points for your land? You almost cameback! :lol

gg, guys.

gg, indeed.

I concentrated way to much on bOoMx and vice versa I guess. ^^

DukeSucks

AirBrian said:
You lucky SOB! :lol

What was the final number? 14? 15?
Haha, 14 I think. It was also my best comeback. Down 38 after all tiles played, won by 5. Lucky draw to get that 7 pt cloister with the last tile of the game.

All my games are about done so I could use some invites if any games are starting up. I'm on vacation starting tomorrow so should be available to do my turns quickly.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ok made one more game.

Said it before but if anyone wants invs let me know and I will throw you in next round. Anyone else wants more invs let me know; I'll probably start a couple more tomorrow.

swoon

AstroLad said:
Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders for life. Love how traders and builders gives you reason to complete others' buildings rather than fucking them up. I also like how the trader gives you extra turns but you have to be really careful about where you use him.
Doesn't builders and traders have the wine and pigs and stuff? I only played that one a few times and it seemed ok. I really disliked the dragon and princess one.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
swoon said:
Doesn't builders and traders have the wine and pigs and stuff? I only played that one a few times and it seemed ok. I really disliked the dragon and princess one.
Yep exactly. 3 types of goods that you get for closing cities that contain tiles marked w/ goods (even if you're not part of the city). 10 pts for having the most of each type. Pig you can place in a field and it makes cities worth 4 instead of 3. Builder you place on a road or city you already have a man in (even if shared) and whenever you add to that road or city after that, you get an extra turn right after.

Top Bottom