• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carcassonne iPhone/iTouch

Grifter

To fields, do "adjacent cities" apply to everything on the same tile, or as far as the green reaches without interruption by roads?

Karud

Grifter said:
To fields, do "adjacent cities" apply to everything on the same tile, or as far as the green reaches without interruption by roads?

As far as the green reaches uninterrupted.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yah fields are defined by roads and cities.

everyone is playing right now feel like i'm playing speed chess with my 15 games :lol also the lag from notifications messed up a couple of my meeple placements gotta watch out for that. ah well small price to pay funny though like 10 hours of relative silence then all of a sudden feels like six realtime games going at once

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yah that was the second straight game where i had a big opponent building go from being wide open to completely closed in like 3 turns before i could even respond! snuck by last time but you can't always get lucky!

Gotta sleep sometime man!
hahah yeah i don't mind the breaks gives me time to actually think about my moves. anyway i gotta bail for the afternoon as well. get a needed break from all the realtime action

Grifter

thought it'd never close and got a series of friendly tiles.

i don't even know how you got like 15 points off 1 field.

i'm off to get some work done for once.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DukeSucks said:
I love waking up in the morning and seeing it's my turn in a few games :D
Yeah, I think the most turn notifications I've gotten was eight. And that was after only a couple hours away one afternoon. :lol

About my badge problem with Carcassonne. I don't have it from time to time, I have it frequently. With BeejiveIM I see the # in the badge adding up regardless of if I open the app or not. With Carcassonne It seems that I have to open the app half th time to get a "refresh" on the status of the game I'm in. Could running it in the background all the time have something to do with it? Do you guys quit Carc when you know you're not going to play for a few hours?

I'm now getting the hang of the the lying meeples on the fields. The points can add up quite high. I finally got a first BIG win (for me at least:p) earlier today in a quick play match.

f03b490e.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
And now it's a quiet night, go figure! Wife and I just nerded out with some 2p local action while waiting for dinner at the restaurant.

DukeSucks

found a bad thing about doing all your turns at one time. I was red about four times in a row, then was purple and didn't realize it and completed someone else's city :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DukeSucks said:
found a bad thing about doing all your turns at one time. I was red about four times in a row, then was purple and didn't realize it and completed someone else's city :lol
yes thankfully after making that mistake a few times i'm pretty careful about it now. still whenever i'm not green, there's a chance i will

ongoing gaf game count: 17

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
2p games have their own fancy pleasure. That's the best part about Carc is that not only does every game feel really different, but 2p games are also very different from 3-5p but just as good though in a different way. Not many games where that's the case. (And I own 100+ board games :p)

Hey Astro, I know this is the wrong thread to ask--but it's semi related.

My partner and I are trying to get into board games. I bought Pandemic and Imperial, which we've played and enjoy (me more than her though admittedly)--but we've found that those are both much more suited to 3+. Do you have any suggestions for 2p games that aren't luck based? I think I've read that you and your wife play a lot, so figured I'd ask you.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SnakeswithLasers said:
Hey Astro, I know this is the wrong thread to ask--but it's semi related.

My partner and I are trying to get into board games. I bought Pandemic and Imperial, which we've played and enjoy (me more than her though admittedly)--but we've found that those are both much more suited to 3+. Do you have any suggestions for 2p games that aren't luck based? I think I've read that you and your wife play a lot, so figured I'd ask you.
You should join us in the BG thread! Which I'm pretty sure you know about but just in case: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226969

Those two games are definitely more suited to >2. 2 and 2 w/ wife is like a special subcategory.

By not luck based do you mean zero luck? If so, blech! Although if that is what you mean I'd recommend checking out Hive, a chesslike super abstract. Ingenious would be the backup recommendation there; also YINSH although I've only played that once (not exactly an expert on abstracts if you're looking solely at pures, though those are definitely three of the best-regarded and I can vouch for them). Mr. Jack is also a pretty chesslike abstract though it does have a little luck in terms of how the roles pop up.

We own Hive and Mr. Jack but Hive's a bit 'core for us and Mr. Jack is a real brainburner (perfect if that's what you're into). We like our games to have a nice mix of lucky and strategy, which if that's what you're looking for I'd recommend Battle Line and to a lesser extent Lost Cities (Lost Cities is more push-your-luck and luck-dependent). Finally for something that plays very well with 2, but just as well with 3-4, San Juan (also has some luck as it's a card-draw, but tons of deep strategy too).

Nice thing about all those is that they have accessible themes, are cheap, and take no longer than 15m to teach.

RAD. Thanks. Yeah, sorry, I don't mean "chess" amounts of luck. Just not Monopoly levels.

I'm going to head over to BGG and see about Battle Line, Lost Cities, and San Juan (which I'm pretty sure I've heard of for some reason).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
K in that case for your situation I would go:
1. Battle Line (play w/ "Advanced" rule where you claim flags at beginning of turn)
2. San Juan
3. Carc
4. Mr. Jack
5. Lost Cities

If you are looking for something heavier, Race for the Galaxy (for similar to San Juan but more complex and geekier), Twilight Struggle, Agricola.

Karud

Stealing cities is very hip these days I guess. ^^
Happens in every single game now. And I think the matches are getting rougher than one week ago. I like that.

Ah thanks! Gonna head to a local game shop this weekend then and price out some of these. I wanted to pick up RftG a while ago and forgot all about it. I might end up going with that!

San Juan looks good too. She's really into Catan so hopefully one of these will get her away from that for a while.

--Also, what is stealing cities? You mean murdering them?

Karud

SnakeswithLasers said:
--Also, what is stealing cities? You mean murdering them?

No, but people more often try to take over someones city with their henchmen.
How should one murder a city?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If y'allz are into Catan, check out the reviews for Catan Card Game too. Made for 2p, and fundamentally different from Catan (more complex, and you build your own little city) but quite solid although it has fallen into disfavor a bit recently on BGG. I think platy from the BG thread is a very big fan.

Grifter

My Street Fighter nights are now held in a part board game shop so the suggestions in this thread were handy. The wife has been asking about board games and a friend was recommending San Juan, as well as this $75 space ship game.

swoon

i just picked this up last night for the iPad, PM me if there anyone wants to start a game and beat me mercifully.

Karud said:
No, but people more often try to take over someones city with their henchmen.
How should one murder a city?
Oh, I thought both people got points for a city if you both have people in it!
And "murdering cities" to me is putting tiles adjacent that make the city impossible to complete. I cry a little when that happens.

Karud

SnakeswithLasers said:
Oh, I thought both people got points for a city if you both have people in it!

That's correct, but still it's kind of ninja-sneaky, because I don't like to share. :D

@ Murdering

Ah, okay. I always refer to that as blocking, but murdering more implies the drama for the beaten. ^^

Kryten

Yeah - I'm playing a game with slacker right now and I've managed to completely screw myself over by playing all of my troops and not being able to get any back. I'm pinning my hopes on having placed them significantly well enough to take back his quite large lead with about 10 tiles to go.......

Grifter

I swear, people are trolling more than anything lately. Just had a game where joey was in last place and completed another guy's huge city just to narrowly cost me the game, and there's this other dude who goes for steals/annoyance more than trying to win.

Maybe it's the second level of learning the game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
:lol that sucks. People sometimes accidentally help others though by getting colors mixed up. I've done it once or maybe twice I think. Downside of having a lot of games going.

As far as messing things up, that's actually a fairly viable strategy. I consider myself sort of intermediate in this regard in that if I can help myself equally, I'll choose help over hurt, especially considering the diplomatic aspect, but I certainly don't shy away from it. Even the AI has two characters who do nothing but fuck shit up! (They're pretty decent too.) Only bad thing would be if you are being targeted specifically (which I swear I am sometimes -- everyone wants to bring down the self-proclaimed KING OF CARC! :lol). I just shrug it off though and think I'LL GET HIM BACK and usually don't have occasion to.

Also you gotta consider different skill levels and strategies. Like a big thing in a 4-5p game is actually working together to complete buildings, but most people seem to like just adding and adding and trying to steal and re-steal. Like in one (4p?) game I built a building that was close to completion, someone joined I thought OK fine. Then they went for the steal. I thought OK annoying, but I tied it up and we were still just a piece or two away. Then he goes for another steal completely foreclosing any possibility the building will be closed! By the end of it there were like six men in that building (at the point of the re-re-steal it was personal; I wasn't letting that building go) that was worth maybe 15 points at the end. Not great value there. I might get annoyed by this but I actually find the different personalities pretty fun.

Grifter

Defense and breaking hot shit up is important, but when I see a guy just his last meeple to cockblock my city, when he's not getting other meeples back because they're already assigned to prior cockblocks, picture a tall, dark, and handsome man wagging a finger at his beautiful phone.

AirBrian

It seems like stealing/blocking happens more towards the end of games too. Of course, I've only played a handful of games so far against other human players, so I could be talking out of my ass. :lol

Personally, I don't have a problem with it though, it's just a different strategy and something you have to protect yourself against and/or look for opportunities yourself.

Grifter

Like I said, I'm only referring to going out of your way to annoy when at your own expense.

I do love the multiplayer dynamic of collaborating vs. keeping to yourself tho. Really adds an extra layer of enjoyment and offsets the extended randomness.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yes the one situation i could conceive of that would be annoying is someone just spending all turns targeting a single person. haven't experienced that yet though.

AirBrian

Oh I agree that passing up your own opportunities to steal is quite annoying.

On a different subject, I wish there was an easier way to add friends. :-(
If I'm in a multiplayer game, why can't I befriend those players that I'm not friends with yet? It's a little frustrating to have to email everyone.

Grifter

Wow, GG on that 63-62-46-46 game that just ended. So tight. I'm not sure how Astro got 4th when he was tied for 3rd, and lost more ELO points to boot!

Top Bottom