• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catalonia to split from Spain within 48 hours of secession vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
As another outsider, seems to me this is years of incompetent governance causing affected citizens to revolt. This unrest will not be constructive, but hopefully someone powerful learns a lesson. Which is admittedly a small hope, because one of the reasons people seek power is so that they don't have to listen to others.

barber

Why France and Italy would vote no?
France-Corsica and Italiy -South Tyrol
Plus all the shit can that would be that.
A referendum should be done and the constitution changed to a more federal approach, but we had two chances of changing government not that long ago and we fucked up big time.

That is bullshit, if Catalunya declares the independence (that is not gonna happen anyways) the EU would accept them without even thinking about that. There are several reasons behind this argument (propaganda, brexit, economics...) but the most important one is that they are not interested in having a non-eu territory between France and Spain (with all the consequences) with a huge harbor that is the main gate to the mediterranean sea.

http://www.dw.com/en/weber-says-eu-wouldnt-accept-catalan-independence/a-37419998

Hey, how was TGS 2006?

Lagunamov

You do realize that eu policy needs to be ratified by every nation state in the EU? Spain would have Veto power in that situation.

Come on, we are acting like if the EU is the most democratic and political government in the world. We know how they pressure to get the yes in things that they are interested on and how can change the opinion of a country with a few minutes of speaking.

What is irresponsible is forcing a nation to forcefully be part of a country if they don't want to.
Its also irresponsible to just declare independence with a one off referendum when you hate the current government for a few years.

Come on, we are acting like if the EU is the most democratic and political government in the world. We know how they pressure to get the yes in things that they are interested on and how can change the opinion of a country with a few minutes of speaking.
Again, why would this be in the interest of the EU?

And now you talk about bullying a country into accepting things they don't want. That's pretty ironic in this discussion, because that is exactly what people are accusing Spain of doing with Catalonia.

And then what? You got an invalid referendum, filled with people who showed up to vote yes probably giving an inaccurate result. Nobody is clear on what will happen when going independent, so what are they voting for.

It sounds like a mess both from Barcelona and Madrid. And maybe they need some international organizations to tell them to sit down and work shit out like adults. This all doesn't help anyone.

The Spanish government has made it abundantly clear to Catalonia over the years that they are not interested in talking at all about increasing its autonomy or even holding a referendum. Meanwhile support for a referendum and independence have increased significantly. What is Catalonia supposed to do? Sorry guys, there's nothing we can do?

This referendum shows the Spanish government and Europe that Catalonia means what they are saying. Even if it fails it's a clear signal to the world that something needs to be done to get out of this impasse.

tuxfool

Banned
Yes of course. But you're painting it as a laughably simple solution. As others have pointed out other countries have their own internal issues to deal with, and you're ignoring the fact that Spain has its own influence.

Lagunamov

Its also irresponsible to just declare independence with a one off referendum when you hate the current government for a few years.

Again, why would this be in the interest of the EU?

And now you talk about bullying a country into accepting things they don't want. That's pretty ironic in this discussion, because that is exactly what people are accusing Spain of doing with Catalonia.

Im not telling what they should do, Im just saying the things that I observed. Im not independentist, but I agree with the right to vote. The ilegal argument cannot be used in a country where the biggest part of the poblation chose a political party that it has been exposed by a court that they steal a lot of money and they do a lot of ilegal practices.
EU would be interested because they need it, and they will even need it more if the brexit things works in a positive way to uk.

How is this beyond the current government when it is that government that sent in the police?

I am not saying Madrid didn't make a mess of things. But I don't see this referendum doing any good for Catalonia.

What I'm saying a change of goverment won't change that now. Is too late, people here won't forget this day.

Most people outside of catalonia is supporting this, our badly done transition and 78's constitution can't hold this any longer.

How is this beyond the current government when it is that government that sent in the police?

I am not saying Madrid didn't make a mess of things. But I don't see this referendum doing any good for Catalonia.

He's clearly local and the police are rather brutally beating up local citizens. Give him some slack.

LinLeigh

If Catalunya declares the independence (that is not gonna happen anyways) the EU would accept them without even thinking about that. There are several reasons behind this argument (propaganda, brexit, economics...) but the most important one is that they are not interested in having a non-eu territory between France and Spain (with all the consequences) with a huge harbor that is the main gate to the mediterranean sea.

Just like they would never let the UK walk away without a deal? Because that seems more likely by the day.

Plus there are no good ways to convince Spain not to veto.

Xando

These are the same nonsense arguments brexiteers employ when they say german car makers will pressure Merkel and the EU into giving them a good deal.

They have no base in reality.

Im not telling what they should do, Im just saying the things that I observed. Im not independentist, but I agree with the right to vote. The ilegal argument cannot be used in a country where the biggest part of the poblation chose a political party that it has been exposed by a court that they steal a lot of money and they do a lot of ilegal practices.
EU would be interested because they need it, and they will even need it more if the brexit things works in a positive way to uk.

This is reads like copy paste from the brexit thread. "The EU needs us so they'll give us a good deal"

I don't know why any of this is much of a surprise given Spain was ruled by a nationalist dictatorial regime a little over 40 years ago. That stuff is still within living memory.

Tiamant

I've heard TV3 repeating more than once that most of the videos they are showing today are from international outlets, not theirs.

"It's not like police are charging against the voters" And here I am right now I'm watching the footage of police charging against protesters on the streets of Cappont (Lleida)

The worst? The moral gimnastics of people claiming that they started the violence first by attending to an illegal vote.

Lagunamov

These are the same nonsense arguments brexiteers employ when they say german car makers will pressure Merkel and the EU into giving them a good deal.

They have no base in reality.

This is reads like copy paste from the brexit thread. "The EU needs us so they'll give us a good deal"

Yes, no base in reality. The EU never pressure in its own beneficy, never. Im not gonna paste every case, anyone with google can check it.

DavidDesu

Have the Catalonian leadership been pushing the same lie that the SNP were pushing during the Scottish referendum that it would be possible to retain EU membership after going independent during the campaign leading up to this?

Hmmmm not a lie to say it’s possible EU membership could be retained or applied for in a quick rejoining. It was all very much a special circumstance, who knows how it would have played out, it still seems unlikely Scotland would have been left out in the cold for very long, being a country wanting to be part of the EU, already complying with EU laws in totality, and with strong resources that the EU would welcome back in. Huge renewables potential for the future, a key asset in decades to come. There were overtures coming from various EU countries to state we would be looked on favourably. Would it have been instant, probably not, no, but to say it’s a lie we couldn’t have ultimately been in the EU as an independent nation is absolutely incorrect.

Meanwhile the Brexit referendum was sold on an absolute pack of lies and over simplification and seemingly a have your cake and eat it approach from the Brexiters, a referendum that’s now sold Scotland down the river completely, shafting the majority here who wanted to remain.

Xando

Yes, no base in reality. The EU never pressure in its own beneficy, never. Im not gonna paste every case, anyone with google can check it.

What exactly is the beneficy of catalonian independence for the EU?

Causing it's 4th largest member economic damage and social upheaval?
Strengthening independence movements all over europe?

Javier23

Banned
Most people outside of catalonia is supporting this, our badly done transition and 78's constitution can't hold this any longer.
I realise that for most people there considerations of a practical nature are not relevant, you simply don't feel Spanish anymore and that's that, but you should still make your mind up about this with the right information and a proper grip on reality. The quoted above is blatantly false. And when it comes to other states, not many have any interest on recognising an independent Catalonia that supposedly became so unilaterally. It's purely a matter of realpolitik.

Walshicus

The EU has always been flexible towards states wanting to participate and already meeting the criteria.

And yeah, it's shocking to see pictures like that as the result of a supposedly democratic state's actions on what it asserts are it's own citizens. Not sure how much lower my opinion of the Spanish state can go.

Shiggy

If Catalonia declares independence, then they are out of the EU. Spain is not going to accept them as an EU or EEA member state.

The Scotland/Brexit situation was entirely different. None of the other EU member states would have any animosity against Scotland being part of the EU.

But reading some comments in here (the EU has always been flexible, it won't be that bad) just goes on to show how many people just don't know how the EU actually works and how decisions are made.

Hmmmm not a lie to say it’s possible EU membership could be retained or applied for in a quick rejoining. It was all very much a special circumstance, who knows how it would have played out, it still seems unlikely Scotland would have been left out in the cold for very long, being a country wanting to be part of the EU, already complying with EU laws in totality, and with strong resources that the EU would welcome back in. Huge renewables potential for the future, a key asset in decades to come. There were overtures coming from various EU countries to state we would be looked on favourably. Would it have been instant, probably not, no, but to say it’s a lie we couldn’t have ultimately been in the EU as an independent nation is absolutely incorrect.

Meanwhile the Brexit referendum was sold on an absolute pack of lies and over simplification and seemingly a have your cake and eat it approach from the Brexiters, a referendum that’s now sold Scotland down the river completely, shafting the majority here who wanted to remain.

Probably not? Absolutely not. This was made clear by the EU.

The negotiations to split from the UK would have to be finalised first, which would have taken years, and then when they were an independent state they could apply for EU membership.

The Spanish government has made it abundantly clear to Catalonia over the years that they are not interested in talking at all about increasing its autonomy or even holding a referendum. Meanwhile support for a referendum and independence have increased significantly. What is Catalonia supposed to do? Sorry guys, there's nothing we can do?

This referendum shows the Spanish government and Europe that Catalonia means what they are saying. Even if it fails it's a clear signal to the world that something needs to be done to get out of this impasse.
What I worry about is the reasons that support has gone up. Because we have seen an economic mess around the EU for a while, with Spain being hit particularity hard. And a populist movement promising independence and how everything will be better then will not fix that. A decision like this can not be made with a single referendum. At least, that is my opinion about these things. If it is about sending a signal, maybe that works, but I'm not holding out hope for that.

The EU does not need more countries becoming instable and breaking off. That is against their interest, certainly after Brexit.

What I'm saying a change of goverment won't change that now. Is too late, people here won't forget this day.

That we agree on, the Spanish government made it a ton worse then it would have been otherwise.

He's clearly local and the police are rather brutally beating up local citizens. Give him some slack.
I know, but I see the same arguments and sentiment that have been shown in populist movements around the globe lately, and it is just making things worse. Hope they can get through today and then work out a decent solution.

The EU has always been flexible towards states wanting to participate and already meeting the criteria.
Even if they were interested in that - which they aren't - they can only do so when every member state agrees. No state is going to agree to let in a country that just split off, since they all have their own movements that will use the same argument then to reinforce their independence arguments.

Tiamant

What I worry about is the reasons that support has gone up. Because we have seen an economic mess around the EU for a while, with Spain being hit particularity hard. And a populist movement promising independence and how everything will be better then will not fix that. A decision like this can not be made with a single referendum. At least, that is my opinion about these things. If it is about sending a signal, maybe that works, but I'm not holding out hope for that.

At this point I think people just want to get rid of PP at all costs more than an independent utopia. It's frustrating to see how after every corruption scandal they keep winning elections and do not give a shit about any other one that their base.

Dehnus

All the while Putin is giggling in his office 🏢. "Dance, puppets. DANCE!".

Rajoy, you fucking morron. You did exactly what this fecker wanted.

tuxfool

Banned
If Catalonia declares independence, then they are out of the EU. Spain is not going to accept them as an EU or EEA member state.

The Scotland/Brexit situation was entirely different. None of the other EU member states would have any animosity against Scotland being part of the EU.
Well Spain might have, just purely as question of realpolitik.

Pluto

img_melies_20171001-100115_imagenes_lv_terceros_ref-U20224855361929-U431694513181jTH-992x558@LaVanguardia-Web-Portada.jpg

Fuck you Spain.
Wow, a picture with no context, you've convinced me.

I've never understood this "just let them kill themselves" attitude.
We don't let children drink bleach.
And I think that's not too terrible analogy, as I believe that when it comes to these issues, most people don't realize the extent of the possible damage.
We don't let children drink bleach but we let them get hurt in smaller ways, that is an effective way to teach them a lesson. My parents let me touch an electric fence for example, I didn't do it a second time.

If Catalunya declares the independence (that is not gonna happen anyways) the EU would accept them without even thinking about that. There are several reasons behind this argument (propaganda, brexit, economics...) but the most important one is that they are not interested in having a non-eu territory between France and Spain (with all the consequences) with a huge harbor that is the main gate to the mediterranean sea.
You couldn't be more wrong! If Catalunya becomes independent they'll be out of the EU, period! And it's not up to the EU as an organization to let them back in, every single member country can veto every new member and Spain will veto Catalunya (and some other countries will veto them too to discourage independence movements in their own countries).
A non EU territory between France and Spain is a not a real issue, we've had a non EU territotry between Germany, France and Italy since the beginning, you can get around that, literally!
And a harbor that's the main gate to the mediterranean sea? Give me a break, there are harbors everywhere, trade will simply move, Vallencia and Marseille for example. You don't need Barcelona to get into or out of the EU.

Why would they have to? What would be the benefit for them?

Why would they? They've chosen the worst possible option in this referendum. What makes you think they wouldn't veto (even if they say they wouldn't) Scotland's entry into the EU just to further demoralise the people in Catalonia?

Javier23

Banned
Well Spain might have, just purely as question of realpolitik.
Spain may not veto an independent Catalonia? Lmao. And that is assuming they actually manage to split away.

I have no horse in this race even though I am Spanish. I understand why they are doing this, but they certainly are not doing it with the right expectations.

tuxfool

Banned
Why would they have to? What would be the benefit for them?
Precisely because of what people are doing in this thread. As it stands people seem to think that joining the EU is about filling in a questionnaire and then they're a member of the club.

Spain would in no way want to further encourage that impression.
Spain may not veto an independent Catalonia? Lmao. And that is assuming they actually manage to split away.

I was talking about them blocking Scotland.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
All the while Putin is giggling in his office 🏢. "Dance, puppets. DANCE!".

Rajoy, you fucking morron. You did exactly what this fecker wanted.

Catalan independence has been a thing longer than Putin's been alive. not everything is Russia.

Shiggy

Precisely because of what people are doing in this thread. As it stands people seem to think that joining the EU is about filling in a questionnaire and then they're a member of the club.

Spain would in no way want to further encourage that impression.

So you were referring to the Scotland part, not the Catalonia part? Thought you were saying Spain would have to accept Catalonia as part of the EU. Was a misunderstanding then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom