• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catalonia to split from Spain within 48 hours of secession vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says who?

You?

Says this goon

TELEMMGLPICT000142372640_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqzZqOgOJXOqkE_ZaqGDwVPDld6ZwFzaR0DbL1pK6gdkw.jpeg

Tyaren

How do Catalans see the EU and their membership? They must be aware that they'd crash out of it with their independence and that it would be very difficult, maybe even impossible if Spain chooses to block it, to get back in again.

RalchAC

Translation please..

How do Catalans see the EU and their membership? They must be aware that they'd crash out of it with their independance and that it will be very difficult, maybe even impossible if Spain chooses to block it, to get back in again.

They're totally becoming EU members. Since day one. Europe is secretly waiting for them with open arms and they won't have to go through the burocracy to become a state member at all.

How do Catalans see the EU and their membership? They must be aware that they'd crash out of it with their independance and that it will be very difficult, maybe even impossible if Spain chooses to block it, to get back in again.

Secessionists are telling them they'll will go straight to valhalla the day they have their independence.

How do Catalans see the EU and their membership? They must be aware that they'd crash out of it with their independence and that it would be very difficult, maybe even impossible if Spain chooses to block it, to get back in again.

People have the right to be wrong. Let them vote for independence, let them deal with the consequences. What it's not acceptable is what is happening today.

On this vote the YES will win by a supermajority I believe. But only because not all the NO's are going to going to vote since this is considered illegal. These last week's tour de force of the Spanish government have changed how the referendum was presented though. You could hear lots of people speaking how they decided to change from NO to YES as an act of protest against Spanish censorship.

People don't want to stay in PP, which is sadly Spain right now. Of course Catalan people don't hate Spaniards (nor the other way around I like to believe) but they are tired of being constantly treated like shit. Of course, the other side sees it as Catalans playing the victim role.

There wasn't any fear to show your views. In Barcelona you can find plenty of balconies with Esteladas (pro-independence flag) and some Spanish flags sprinkled here and there. There are heated discussions among friends but nothing more than that. The picture the Spanish government pictures is wildly different though (people that can't speak Spanish, schools adoctrinating kids to hate Spain, etc.) but as an inmigrant that arrived here 10 years ago I can tell you that is a big fat lie.

So yes, the way the Spanish gov is dealing with this is definitely creating independentists every day.

edit: watching more footage of Spanish police raiding voting schools I'm convince that today marks the point of no return. There is no way people are going to forgive the violence seen today. There is not going to be independence tomorrow but Spain has lost Catalonia forever.

While, yes, central goverment fucked up BIG TIME (and IMO they should have let them vote a LONG time ago, and the police force should have never happened), Catalonian government are not the good guys either (they are lying pieces of shit, robbers as much as shit PP and fucking crazy radicals).
My family is catalonian, ive been there nearly my whole life (30 years). Ive seen the cultural change of TV3 from just a public channel to an indoctrination piece of garbage any place should be ashamed off, and my small cousins telling me how pro independent teachers spin their classes to indoctrinate the young ones and dont let kids speak spanish. FFS my smaller cousin has his school bring for the IT classes a small portable PC to school (those bad laptops were you can only run word and the internet), and his teacher MANDATES the windows OS to be in catalan if they dont want to fail his class, and not because the lectures are in catalan and the kid will not undertand the different name of buttons, for a catalonian that also speaks spanish that is absolutely NOT a problem, its just becuase the teacher in a radical shit head, my family had to go to the school to speak with the headmaster about the problem, and the teacher called them spanish fascists to their faces and infront the headmaster, was the teacher sacked? nope, but thankfully my cousin could change of class.
And this is not an isolated case, nor the only teacher that does this stuff, so yeah, not really lies a lot of times.

This is the only thing Im going to add to this thread, becuase your "not both sides, one is worse than the other", and there "is no fear to show your views" is complete and utter bullshit. In my grandsparents town, Palafrugell, a pro independist group burned any spanish flag that was reacheable from street level from other people's balconies that had different views than them (oh, so open for democracy...). They all know who they are, the town is small enough, nothing is going to happen to them (apart from a fuck you shout), as this is normalised for all of them sadly. Nobody is burning the Estelada that hangs in the roundabout at the entrance of the town put there by the city hall, even if its illegal for it to be there.

If you havent experience it, good for you, but it exists.

And as I say at the top of my post, I would have let them vote in a heart beat a long time ago.

Ferr986

People have the right to be wrong. Let them vote for independence, let them deal with the consequences. What it's not acceptable is what is happening today.

To be fair, Im catalan and I dont want to deal with those consequences. Not my fault some indepes are dumb and follow catalan gov lies like sheeps.

(Not agreeing with this police violence, PP should fuck off).

Javier23

Banned
Most of my nationalist friends aren't really factoring in that kind of practical considerations. It's a purely emotional issue, even when it's obvious at least to me that becoming independent is gonna wreck their short-term plans to study and work elsewhere in the EU. Their families are all also pretty well off. Haven't really thought much about how it would annihilate their income. I find it somewhat understandable but I can't help but think that me myself in that situation and not feeling Spanish at all but being the most Catalonian of all I still would personally care more about those close to me. I come from a big working class family in a much more humble environment in an impoverished region of Spain that has seen much belittling from Catalonia for supposedly not contributing as much to the national economy and I've had to work my ass off to get where I am.

llehuty

Getting hit for voting in a democratic country... So embarrased of my country and its complete misshandling of this.

So I guess we are only allowed to express our opinions (not really) only and exclusively once ever four years?

I just voted, ppl clapping and crying after voting. I almost cried when I saw a very old man crying and saying "I always wanted to be able to do this vote, and finally I did it before dying"

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just voted, ppl clapping and crying after voting. I almost cried when I saw a very old man crying and saying "I always wanted to be able to do this vote, and finally I did it before dying"

This is sad on so many levels. Cynical politicians playing with people's emotions.

Javier23

Banned
Would you say that it's Fake News by any chance?
Have you even bothered to read? They are reporting numbers from Catsalut, the same other agencies started reporting this morning when the number was 38.
No, I didn't bother to read. Not disputing the numbers or the data. I don't know about that. If true it's just horrific and despicable. But I'm just not gonna bother clicking on links of certain very biased outlets when it comes to such loaded matters.

This is sad on so many levels. Cynical politicians playing with people's emotions.

I think he knew it was more of a symbolic act, that something with a real effect. He was just glad he could do it.

He lived during Franco era, he knows what is having a censorship on what he truly believe his national identity.

Ppl need to realize that independentism is rooted in our society from a very long time.

llehuty

Reports that tonight's Barça - Las Palmas football match has been cancelled. Probably a good call with the current state of things...

Uzzy

Do they lose the game 0-3 if that's the case?

Looks that way. I think that had the Catalan Police advised the suspension on security grounds, that wouldn't be the case, but they haven't, so Barca have asked for it to be suspended, meaning they'll lose the game 0-3.

legacyzero

Banned
Holy shit, this is hitting my Twitter feed HARD. And I'm just now finding out about this. Somebody give me a bullet point TLDR? I'd like to know more about it.

Javier23

Banned
Have you seen the videos going around, some of them posted in this very thread?

There’s people with serious injuries, a man will probably lose an eye.
I have seen them. I don't know why you think I am denying that people are getting beaten and hurt, very possibly brutally so.

Pluto

Has this been posted?
T89wny0.jpg

Look what they need to do so that the police can't take away the urns.
As if that weak ass chain is going to stop someone. Alternatively they could just cut open the urn (aka plastic box) and take everything out.

But what's the point? It's very likely that in a few days Catalonia will no longer have a government or parliament.

I can't believe what I'm seeing. I thought better of Spain.

I didn't agree with the Brexit result, but I'm still proud to live in a democratic nation.

Lagamorph

They're totally becoming EU members. Since day one. Europe is secretly waiting for them with open arms and they won't have to go through the burocracy to become a state member at all.

Bullshit. Catalonia will have to go through the full joining process the same as anyone else. There are plenty of countries already waiting to join that would cry foul if Catalonia was given special treatment and exemptions to bypass the queue and entry requirements.
Will Catalonia re-join the EU eventually? Most likely, but it'll be 3-4 years at a minimum, and that's assuming that they can meet all of the criteria right out of the gate.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Bullshit. Catalonia will have to go through the full joining process the same as anyone else. There are plenty of countries already waiting to join that would cry foul if Catalonia was given special treatment and exemptions to bypass the queue and entry requirements.

I'm pretty sure that the post was sarcastic. But I can see how it was not obvious given that this is practically the false theory that the supporters of independence throw around.

ecosse_011172

Amazing how stupid that arsehole Rajoy is.
If they do nothing and the vote is no, then there's nothing to do. If the vote is yes then establish dialogue.
This despicable behaviour will convert many, many people to being pro independence, a complete and utter shitshow.
The spirit of Franco is alive and well :(

pa22word

Will Catalonia re-join the EU eventually? Most likely, but it'll be 3-4 years at a minimum, and that's assuming that they can meet all of the criteria right out of the gate.
Pretty sure that was sarcasm man.

You are responding to a sarcastic post saying what pro-independence people think.

ecosse_011172

Just as with Scotland, that's never been clear. Catalans are EU citizens, those in the queue are not.

Dierce

I can't believe what I'm seeing. I thought better of Spain.

I didn't agree with the Brexit result, but I'm still proud to live in a democratic nation.
PP is fascist, corrupt and stupid. I disagree with secessionists but they have a right to choose. The federal government should have made a binding agreement requiring 2/3 of the vote for independence and made it clear that it would lead to an immediate annulment of Spanish citizenship and all the benefits that come from it.

If they did that the secessionists, who are in the minority would be overwhelmed by those who want to remain. As things stand now their numbers will only grow.

Just as with Scotland, that's never been clear. Catalans are EU citizens, those in the queue are not.
It is 100% clear. The EU has always said these countries need to go through the regular process. Catalonia, or any other region that splits off into its own country, will need to join the EU through the process all the other countries have to take.

The only difference might be some speed, since a lot of regulations already line up.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Only on individual level and only if they retain the Spanish citizenship. The Catalans who are Spanish citizens are EU citizens, Catalonia as an independent country is not an EU member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom